CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Electricity unit cost up 25% in the new year, at least for me (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277543)

SE25 exile 29-12-2018 08:39 AM

Electricity unit cost up 25% in the new year, at least for me

Don't have gas, so a single fuel energy household (have oil for heating).

I always use USwitch for changing my supplier and for the past three or four years have managed by switching suppliers to maintain the level of my energy costs. However, this time, going through the switching process have noticed that my KWhr unit cost has risen from 12.47p to 15.9p. Although you can find a lower daily standing charge, it is the unit cost that has the most impact on annual cost of energy.

Virtually all the comparison companies are using at least 16p per unit now. This is the first time I have not been able to maintain cost at a reasonable level, and it represents a total increase even with a better standing charge, of around 15% a year.

Worrying for those like me, on a fixed income.

Skintagain 29-12-2018 09:33 AM

Turn the heating off and do a series of star jumps every 15mins.

Ardent Eagle Forever 29-12-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE25 exile (Post 14564214)
Don't have gas, so a single fuel energy household (have oil for heating).

I always use USwitch for changing my supplier and for the past three or four years have managed by switching suppliers to maintain the level of my energy costs. However, this time, going through the switching process have noticed that my KWhr unit cost has risen from 12.47p to 15.9p. Although you can find a lower daily standing charge, it is the unit cost that has the most impact on annual cost of energy.

Virtually all the comparison companies are using at least 16p per unit now. This is the first time I have not been able to maintain cost at a reasonable level, and it represents a total increase even with a better standing charge, of around 15% a year.

Worrying for those like me, on a fixed income.

It's all the electrical devices in your pad. Everything you have these days needs an electrical charger.

I swapped out my virgin tivo box with one power input to a tivo six. Tivo six has the power input for the main unit plus two little boxes that allow you to connect the box to the Internet. They both plug into the mains then you have to have the router on all the time otherwise you can't program the tivo box away from home. So now I have four items plugged into the mains whereas before I only plugged in one item

yorkshire eagle 29-12-2018 09:43 AM

got a great duel fuel deal with Scottish power really reasonable for our new house. the new one is so totally energy efficient our last gas bill for the quarter was £49!!!

chateauferret 29-12-2018 09:56 AM

Watch a few highlights of Salah winning penalties. Your blood will be boiling in no time.

Skintagain 29-12-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkshire eagle (Post 14564256)
got a great duel fuel deal with Scottish power really reasonable for our new house. the new one is so totally energy efficient our last gas bill for the quarter was £49!!!

How many jumpers can you wear at the same time?

Adlerhorst 29-12-2018 10:23 AM

This is a result of forcing a price cap on suppliers. No more cheap deals from almost anyone.

SE25 exile 29-12-2018 10:35 AM

Only use between 9 and 14 units a day over the year, so I can't complain about inefficiency. I have a house built from cob and stone with walls two feet thick, so insulation is already pretty good.

Adlerhorst 29-12-2018 10:36 AM

Cob? That’s the stuff that looks like horseshit and straw, right?

There was a grand designs episode on that once, was properly impressive.

Stellavista 29-12-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 14564310)
Cob? Thatís the stuff that looks like horseshit and straw, right?

There was a grand designs episode on that once, was properly impressive.

Is that the programme with the the one the size of a circus tent that burnt down?

Nth Kent Eagle 29-12-2018 12:13 PM

This is worth a read. German power prices up 43% this year and perhaps 16% next. 16gw of nucleur and around 10gw of lignite to shut by 2022. France is closing five coal fired power stations during the same period. Prices for fuel across Europe aren't coming down by the look of it.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-record-gain

CT_Palace 29-12-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 14564300)
This is a result of forcing a price cap on suppliers. No more cheap deals from almost anyone.

Are these the same suppliers that will benefit from this?

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost....1&postcount=28

Billy Rhino 29-12-2018 12:44 PM

This is why I got solar panels this year.

stamford triumph 29-12-2018 12:48 PM

No doubt it will be blamed by the right wing media on the cost of renewable ‘subsidies’.

andyocpfc 29-12-2018 12:56 PM

I keep thinking of changing from Scottish Power as Iím paying £150 per month for both has and elec and plenty of others are offering lower tariffs. My concern is that entice you in and then whack them back up again and youíre in back to square one. There seems to be lots of smaller companies doing recycled energy deals but donít know if theyíll even be around next year.

stamford triumph 29-12-2018 01:07 PM

You could try Octopus Energy - very competitive 100% renewable tariffs, no lock in or exit fees, great customer service - 9.5 on trustpilot. Been with them for 3 years, always do comparisons and always find them one of the lowest prices without any silly gimmicks. Only downside is they are Arsenal’s energy partner.

Stockport_Eagle 29-12-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14564446)
I keep thinking of changing from Scottish Power as Iím paying £150 per month for both has and elec and plenty of others are offering lower tariffs. My concern is that entice you in and then whack them back up again and youíre in back to square one. There seems to be lots of smaller companies doing recycled energy deals but donít know if theyíll even be around next year.

On a fixed price tariff they can't increase the price until the end if the agreement. And if they go bust, so what? They've not installed a generator in your garden that only they can maintain.

I genuinely have no idea why people are happy to pay more than they need to for gas / electric.

As for the OP, I'm more concerned about the 100% increase in the price of heating oil over the last 3 years than I am electricity prices.

pallet 29-12-2018 01:11 PM

Ok two things. Eon seem to want to increase my bill every year by at least £40-£60. I have a constant argument with mrs pallet. She reckons that leaving the hot water and heating on contstant is cheaper than having them on a timer and hence using more power to heat from cold. Help??

Les Butler 29-12-2018 01:39 PM

When I used to see my dads electricity bills for a single bloke living in a small 3 bed house I used to cringe as half was gas.We moan here when it goes up 50p in a year.

Mine is a 3 bed house where its all electricity,heat is on all the time in the winter, AC is used alot in the summer...99% of all the electricity used in Quebec is generated from water owned and run by the Quebec gov't...50 quid a month.

SE25 exile 29-12-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 14564459)
You could try Octopus Energy - very competitive 100% renewable tariffs, no lock in or exit fees, great customer service - 9.5 on trustpilot. Been with them for 3 years, always do comparisons and always find them one of the lowest prices without any silly gimmicks. Only downside is they are Arsenalís energy partner.

Yep, just switched to them.