Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-12-2016, 04:23 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Also - Bright and Armstrong would surely have been a great partnership had it been allowed to develop. No way we would have gone down with both of them up front.
Old 13-12-2016, 05:10 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Also - Bright and Armstrong would surely have been a great partnership had it been allowed to develop. No way we would have gone down with both of them up front.
agreed, think they played twice together and despite a comprehensive defeat at Vila park (3-0 defeat) there link up play was pretty good, Armstrong should have scored a couple. Williams was a tidy player, but struggled for fitness and Armstrong's goal return was always better playing off a target man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Yes good point. He was a fantastic player with so much ability. I read his book and the beatings he took as child and witnessing the abuse his father inflicted on his mother essentially ruined him mentally.

The one thing I would say is that he probably needed a year or two to develop and he did this after he was sold.
I think Collymore was ridiculed by Bright & Wright amongst others, and struggled with the alpha male mentality of a very close group. Collymore was clearly a home boy and uprooting from Stafford probably impacted him emotionally. I heard stories that he'd be back home at the first given opportunity in his first 18 months with us. When you look at the likes of Downes, Harrison, Wright, Bright, Thorn, Gray and Thomas etc these were really strong personalities and coming into a group like that must have been slightly intimidating. Salako admitted he struggled with this during his early Palace days, but it was the making of him.
I used to watch a lot of the Monday night reserve games down at Plough lane and you could see how much ability Stan had. He was so athletic and pacy and I think Coppell introduced him as a wide man in his first couple of senior appearances.

Last edited by jaspercpfc; 13-12-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 13-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello View Post
The figure being touted at the time was £3.5m if I remember rightly.
Pretty sure it was rumoured that we contacted Southampton re Shearer, but got knocked back as he was keen on a move to Man Utd at the end of the season, which obviously never materialised due to Blackburn coming in with a silly money offer. But do think he was our first choice, and would have paid it had there been a deal to be made.
Old 13-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourtyTwo View Post
Pretty sure it was rumoured that we contacted Southampton re Shearer, but got knocked back as he was keen on a move to Man Utd at the end of the season, which obviously never materialised due to Blackburn coming in with a silly money offer. But do think he was our first choice, and would have paid it had there been a deal to be made.
Gone are the days of £3m - £3.5m being a silly offer.
Old 13-12-2016, 06:12 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
I remember when Blackburn started chucking silly money around, and they made a 3m move for "Skip" during the summer of 92' and the Croydon Advertiser (which was a reputable paper then) ran the headline "At £8,000 per week, who wouldn't move"
Old 13-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
In the 91/92 season video, IIRC Sir Steve mentioned that he signed Marco from memory..

We've had far worse, but he just wasn't suited for our style at the time.

The other story I remember is that we had agreed a £2.8 million for Brian Deane, but couldn't commit to both.

I'm still kinda flabbergasted that we're paying £30 Million for a player these days..
Old 14-12-2016, 01:34 AM

cazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecazza83 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Talking on GMTV this week to Piers Morgan (Arsenal fan) and Susannah Reid (Palace). Interesting bit when Piers asks him if he could re-live any moment in his career, what would it be?

That video made me smile for 2 reasons.

It's nice to hear Wrighty express a fondness for Palace when he always seems to go on about Arsenal.

Mainly though because it just summed up your typical Arsenal fan compared to a typical Palace fan to a tee.

Piers the wanker belittling little old Palace and being shocked to hear a player might have fond memories for playing for a club that hasn't won anything. Glory hunter mentality right there.
Old 14-12-2016, 02:24 AM

KP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember when Wright left some papers had us linked with an audacious move for Alan Shearer then at Southampton and Brian dean at Sheff United both for 3mil total. playing in red and white it was easy to colour in the white for palace kits and then we ended up with Gabbiadini I've never let my hopes get high again on a potential signing.
Old 13-09-2018, 03:59 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Interesting to hear Wright mention about some Arsenal fans wondering why the hell they bought him at the time. Certainly my recollection too.

Sad to see Highbury as it is now. Proper football ground.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel