Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
But it is an essentially a political issue, and political issues seep into many topics, but I would still say it is fundamentally political Brexit.

Its effects, and who it will effect, goes way beyond politics.

Which was also your point about Facebook being so much more than just about 'phones and 'phone users.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 04-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Big Member

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
But it is an essentially a political issue, and political issues seep into many topics, but I would still say it is fundamentally political Brexit.
Brexit is about a mindset. It's about immigration. It's about people's businesses, jobs and our prosperity. It's about my kids having the same access and freedoms we enjoyed but are taking away. So Brexit is a hell of a lot more than mere 'politics'.

On the matter of mental health, many of the very services we need are in desperate state of funding, in many local areas they have disappeared. The NHS and GPs are under huge strain to cope. And that is a political choice. But best not to discuss that.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
I would still argue that all fits under the banner of politics, which is a very wide as it covers so many areas you mention.

Last edited by MFBias; 04-01-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Brexit is managed by politicians but affects most of us.

The railways are managed by politicians and affect many of us.

So should threads about railways be in the Politics Forum?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
And social media runs on technology and should be in the technology forum
Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
And social media runs on technology and should be in the technology forum
The entire bbs should be in the technology forum?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:56 AM
We scored three...

knowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Unfortunately not everyone has the same rational level of thought as James. It must be tough for kids growing up now with social media everywhere.

I left Facebook about 5 years ago, partly because I just didn’t see the point of it, but also to avoid my ex finding out what I was doing after we split up. Not gone back since and don’t miss it at all. It is quite nice meeting up with friends and not knowing what they’ve been up to. It sparks something called conversation.

I do use Twitter and find that as long as you keep it tailored very specifically to your interests, it is ok. You need to take most of it with a pinch of salt and realise that you’re going to bump into numpties, but if you do that, it is really useful.

Instagram and Facebook do more harm than good though for younger people.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:16 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Great idea!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
No, because the entire BBS is not a thread talking about the BBS
Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Reflective of the general mood perhaps but the whole thing (including the BBS) is not particularly joyous anymore. Its either OTT to provoke views or likes or whatever or an excuse for a moan behind a partial vail of anonymity.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesyUCLA View Post
Unfortunately not everyone has the same rational level of thought as James.
Have you met James ?!
Old 04-01-2019, 04:25 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
I don't see this whole 'people show they have perfect lives' business. It might be how the other people perceive it, but not necessarily from the poster. For me, it's just a platform to share with friends and family what you are doing. Why would you post something that is boring or depressive?! I only use it to post pictures and experiences essentially. If people believe because of that, that I (or everyone else) live the 'perfect life' (whatever that means or is) then they are naive more than anything else. There is no such thing as 'the perfect life'.
Maybe adults are more mature, Iím a teenager and mostly follow other teenagers.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:55 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesyUCLA View Post
Unfortunately not everyone has the same rational level of thought as James. It must be tough for kids growing up now with social media everywhere.

I left Facebook about 5 years ago, partly because I just didnít see the point of it, but also to avoid my ex finding out what I was doing after we split up. Not gone back since and donít miss it at all. It is quite nice meeting up with friends and not knowing what theyíve been up to. It sparks something called conversation.

I do use Twitter and find that as long as you keep it tailored very specifically to your interests, it is ok. You need to take most of it with a pinch of salt and realise that youíre going to bump into numpties, but if you do that, it is really useful.

Instagram and Facebook do more harm than good though for younger people.
I left Facebook years ago,even before me and my Mrs split up fed up with people telling me what they had for breakfast
I suppose it has its uses but not for me
Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
I'm on Facebook but seldom look at it - the app on my phone has a semi-permanent '99' icon on it (apparently it can't depict above that number of outstanding notifications). I just get bored of scrolling through the crap. I also find it sinister how Facebook seems to know who I know even if we don't have any 'Facebook friends' in common (i.e. it sometimes suggests work acquaintances). I have almost never posted on it - the impossibility of tailoring posts to specific audiences is frustrating.

I am on Twitter for the occasional need to find out what the hell Southern Railway are playing at, but I've no idea how hashtags work.

It wouldn't bother me if both sites closed tomorriw - in fact it would probably benefit society, because there clearly is a section of it for which social media is bad news. And that's before we even talk about the long term effects on privacy, of data harvesting, and of having indiscretions posted to the world to the detriment of your life for evermore.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
People are becoming more aware of the negative side of social media. The information collecting is common knowledge now, at many assumed it was just a fun service. As they say if there is no product to pay for, the product is you. Ill go beyond common knowledge and say (which will no doubt attract some opposition):

There are claims Facebook was funded by the CIA. Essentially you have a system where people happily contribute to their own ‘profile’ while using face recognition you can put a face to a name, which then using your apple phone is linked to a bank account and therefore address and history. This phone is used to open with your finger print and again face recognition, to a device that can track your movement and, watch and listen to you at any moment.

Even if you dont think at it’s root it was funded by goverment agencies, they obviously observe them now as they a massive pool of intel on the public.

Add to this the russian bots scandal over Trumps election, where there are fake accounts to create waves of thought, it is a very dangerous tool.

Last edited by MFBias; 06-01-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
There are claims Facebook was funded by the CIA.
The counter is the onion broser was funded (and still is iirc) funded by the state department. The EU fund DuckDuckGo.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
The counter is the onion broser was funded (and still is iirc) funded by the state department. The EU fund DuckDuckGo.
Do you use these browsing systems? I just looked at them and they claim to be untracked but you say they funded by state departments?

I still use google, facebook and have an Iphone (Ill never give my finger print to anyone unless forced though)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Do you use these browsing systems?

I still use google, facebook and have an Iphone (Ill never give my finger print to anyone unless forced though)
Is use DuckDuckGo, at the recommendation of the head of privacy at a majorly major technology group.