Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 AM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Can't believe they class 4 pints of medium strength lager as a binge drinking session

No wonder we are all told we are a nation of alchys !

Can anyone really say they can watch Palace sober ?

Aren't away games all about drinking from very early and late into the night, couldn't imagine travelling all the way to Coventry and back to watch football sober, just wouldn't seem worthwhile !
Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Tired and Emotional

Smurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
Quote:
Originally posted by Maz
If you drank Guinness Smurph you might find it easier to limit the intake.
I do, but not at home.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Registered Confused.

Brod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
I think I might have a drink problem. I don't hammer it but seldom does a night go by when i don't fancy a glass or two of red wine and, before I know it I am almost down to the bottom of the bottle. Mat's right, one or two drinks don't really seem worthwhile but I know that regularly drinking 2/3 of a bottle of wine isn't good. I tell myself I won't have a drink the following night but when it comes round i really fancy one again. I guess it's not a couple of bottles and it's not spirits, but nevertheless the craving is there, and once I have one glass i have to have more.
I think that's fine. That's about what I do, although since getting married I don't go to the pub very often, but I try and have 2 alcohol free days (AFD's) a week. I don't beat myself up if I don't, but I make the effort. With the World Cup, I'll probably struggle but I know I'll go back to my AFD's afterwards.

But alcoholism's different from being a heavy drinker. Alcoholics don't have a choice, they have a disease.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
Old 09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by westsussexeagle
I think as a general rule 1 bottle is 6 units (125ml glasses) although this varies with strength. I can't agree with Maz that 'units are for wimps' if only because they give an idea about exactly how much alcohol (and consequent liver etc damage) you might really be doing.
Apparently a 750cl bottle of red wine @ 14% alc. volume is the equivalent of around ten and a half units.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
14% alc is hardly typical strength, Al. 12.5 to 13 would be your average bottle I'd say.
It's still a fair few units per bottle though
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I love a few pints and probably drink more than i should over the space of a week and weekend but never drink when i go to palace.

a/ because i choose to drive.
b/ i'd like to remember the game
c/ i have the weakest bladder in the world.

Never occurs to me to have a beer going to palace although football on the tv down the pub and its a different story.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM

apple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineapple_rain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Brod

But alcoholism's different from being a heavy drinker. Alcoholics don't have a choice, they have a disease. [/B]

At last, someone else who really knows the difference.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale
Can't believe they class 4 pints of medium strength lager as a binge drinking session
I can't believe 4 pints counts as a binge session either. Thats a quiet drink, surely binge is when you start heading for double figures - i.e. tomorrow
Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I read that drinking is bad for your health, so I gave up reading.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 AM
the lovely river mole

jolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Maz
Knowing about consequent liver etc damage is for wimps as well.

Maz is my hero

i didnt know or care about units or liver damage after a dotor told me one pint of stella a day was over the amount of units i should have a week. I went down the pub and had a weeks worth in a day.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
14% alc is hardly typical strength, Al. 12.5 to 13 would be your average bottle I'd say.
It's still a fair few units per bottle though

You might be a bit surprised at how many wines are in the 14% brackett. Susposedly its been a trend ever since the New World wines began to make an impact on the market and producers have deliberately strengthed the wine.

Its why you accounts of old dinners and people drinking numerous bottles of wine because it was probably only in the 8-9% range.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Reps AJ
I can't believe 4 pints counts as a binge session either. Thats a quiet drink, surely binge is when you start heading for double figures - i.e. tomorrow
Exactly, now tomorrow is a perfect example

How many of us will watch the football in a pub, starting at about 1 and carrying on right through until at least early evening ?

Will anyone stop at 3-4 pints, go home and just get on with normal things, no, its a culture here to drink
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale

Will anyone stop at 3-4 pints, go home and just get on with normal things, no, its a culture here to drink

Perhaps its time we tried to change that culture ? And I speak as somebody who has fully indulged in it in the past.

I suppose I am merely reflecting my own disquiet with how much money and time I have wasted drinking but I do feel that its getting a bit boring seeing British people staggering around and vomiting and somehow be convinced that its all good fun.

Its not. Its just rotton vegtable and fruit juice that seems to cause more misery than joy.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:48 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
You might be a bit surprised at how many wines are in the 14% brackett. Susposedly its been a trend ever since the New World wines began to make an impact on the market and producers have deliberately strengthed the wine.

Its why you accounts of old dinners and people drinking numerous bottles of wine because it was probably only in the 8-9% range.
Indeeed, I have been surprised on many occasions when indulging in a new wine only for Monty to say "blimey 14.5%! What is it, communion wine"? The volumes have crept up in recent times. I rarely see a wine with 12.5% on the bottle now.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
the lovely river mole

jolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nearly sucumbed last night it was a close run thing a cool stella would have been lovely in the pub garden
Old 20-11-2018, 06:48 PM
in the 25th Century

Polish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
In the office. Its 5:30 AM. Just had a swig of wine and a beer
6 people have told me that I need to try rehab.
I took the day off yesterday and Monday. I came in for about 2 hours. Couldn`t cope and took the lap top and worked from home.
I spoke to two other directors and basically told them the truth. i`m on Prozac too which they know
Tried tapering off. Its impossible. Had three bottles of wine yesterday
Got to get out an important tender today.
Honestly don`t know where to turn as rehab requires me to do a blood test before I get screened by a shrink. that scares me shitless
Old 20-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betray
I`ve had those gamma liver test thingy`s,readings were high so cutting down,hard when you are a shift worker.I have a Freephone number for AA Polish if you want it.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betrayMad Max is like ice, their footing does betray
Actually for anybody who want`s it.0800 9177650
Old 20-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Eaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is here
AA are an amazing organisation that was life changing for me.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:43 PM

ceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Pete View Post
In the office. Its 5:30 AM. Just had a swig of wine and a beer
6 people have told me that I need to try rehab.
I took the day off yesterday and Monday. I came in for about 2 hours. Couldn`t cope and took the lap top and worked from home.
I spoke to two other directors and basically told them the truth. i`m on Prozac too which they know
Tried tapering off. Its impossible. Had three bottles of wine yesterday
Got to get out an important tender today.
Honestly don`t know where to turn as rehab requires me to do a blood test before I get screened by a shrink. that scares me shitless
I feel for you Pete, it can be a lonely place having an addiction to alcohol. For some strange reason I turned into a full blown alcoholic for about 2 years. I think it was a combination of work stress, a divorce, selling a property abroad (as part of divorce, which took seven years to sell) and pushing myself to do an MSc on top of all that.

I could drink a bottle of wine in 5 minutes, just gulped it down. Towards the end of last year I was drinking very heavily. couple of 1664's at 6am in the morning, then three of 4 whisky doubles, then just generally drinking all day. I was very functional during all this, and continued to run my business, do my dissertation and generally get on with life. The anxiety was horrendous though when the booze wore off. I estimate on a normal day towards the end I was doing 4 or 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of scotch a day.

29th December last year, I'd had enough, I just stopped, was fed up not sleeping or waking, merely "coming to" and was fed up with the anxiety. i'm 325 days off the booze today. It took me probably 6 months to start to feel some semblance of normality, and to be honest the first few days weren't too bad.

The thing is is not to beat yourself up about it, when the time is right you will do it. The good thing is there are lots of good alcohol free replacements now to help you wean off. If you like the red wine, then Rawsons Retreat Cabernet alcohol free is about as close to a normal bottle of wine you will get, so that will help you.

feel free to PM me if you need some support.