Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 20-11-2018, 07:44 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would say you're in a bit of trouble but you know that already
I was almost sectioned into warlingham park when I was 20,heavy session in Tenerife,but I like a drink now ,but wine and spirits you've got to try and get off,just a few strong beers
I am on tramadol for my pain and a couple of strong cans is nice.
An old boy said to me when I was sixteen,don't let drink affect your work, because you need to work to drink
Best of luck Pete because I know it's not going to easy
Old 20-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Eaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is here
I'm coming up to four and half years. I feel really proud of myself as to how far i have come.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Pete View Post
In the office. Its 5:30 AM. Just had a swig of wine and a beer
6 people have told me that I need to try rehab.
I took the day off yesterday and Monday. I came in for about 2 hours. Couldn`t cope and took the lap top and worked from home.
I spoke to two other directors and basically told them the truth. i`m on Prozac too which they know
Tried tapering off. Its impossible. Had three bottles of wine yesterday
Got to get out an important tender today.
Honestly don`t know where to turn as rehab requires me to do a blood test before I get screened by a shrink. that scares me shitless
First things first, it's very brave of you post in this thread, it's a good start.

I'm going to assume that the reason you found weaning yourself off alcohol was that once you've started drinking, the craving for more just becomes too strong? How's your willpower? Would it be worth trying cold turkey?
Old 20-11-2018, 07:52 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
In the office. Its 5:30 AM. Just had a swig of wine and a beer
6 people have told me that I need to try rehab.
I took the day off yesterday and Monday. I came in for about 2 hours. Couldn`t cope and took the lap top and worked from home.
I spoke to two other directors and basically told them the truth. i`m on Prozac too which they know
Tried tapering off. Its impossible. Had three bottles of wine yesterday
Got to get out an important tender today.
Honestly don`t know where to turn as rehab requires me to do a blood test before I get screened by a shrink. that scares me shitless
But you know your cooked Pete,take the test,and get some help.
Old 20-11-2018, 08:05 PM
in the 25th Century

Polish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' View Post
First things first, it's very brave of you post in this thread, it's a good start.

I'm going to assume that the reason you found weaning yourself off alcohol was that once you've started drinking, the craving for more just becomes too strong? How's your willpower? Would it be worth trying cold turkey?
I find it very difficult. Done it before for a few months. Psychologist I`m seeing says I shouldn`t stop suddenly . DT `s etc.
Old 20-11-2018, 08:07 PM
in the 25th Century

Polish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolish Pete came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeby View Post
I feel for you Pete, it can be a lonely place having an addiction to alcohol. For some strange reason I turned into a full blown alcoholic for about 2 years. I think it was a combination of work stress, a divorce, selling a property abroad (as part of divorce, which took seven years to sell) and pushing myself to do an MSc on top of all that.

I could drink a bottle of wine in 5 minutes, just gulped it down. Towards the end of last year I was drinking very heavily. couple of 1664's at 6am in the morning, then three of 4 whisky doubles, then just generally drinking all day. I was very functional during all this, and continued to run my business, do my dissertation and generally get on with life. The anxiety was horrendous though when the booze wore off. I estimate on a normal day towards the end I was doing 4 or 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of scotch a day.

29th December last year, I'd had enough, I just stopped, was fed up not sleeping or waking, merely "coming to" and was fed up with the anxiety. i'm 325 days off the booze today. It took me probably 6 months to start to feel some semblance of normality, and to be honest the first few days weren't too bad.

The thing is is not to beat yourself up about it, when the time is right you will do it. The good thing is there are lots of good alcohol free replacements now to help you wean off. If you like the red wine, then Rawsons Retreat Cabernet alcohol free is about as close to a normal bottle of wine you will get, so that will help you.

feel free to PM me if you need some support.
Thank you
Old 20-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
I find it very difficult. Done it before for a few months. Psychologist I`m seeing says I shouldn`t stop suddenly . DT `s etc.
Why did you start again, mate?
Old 20-11-2018, 08:16 PM

As ceeby said don't beat yourself up over it,just slowly cut down
Old 20-11-2018, 08:20 PM
in the 25th Century

Quote:
Why did you start again, mate?
Walking . Past a pub. Thought Just have the one. Didn`t even like the feeling, but then the one became two etc

I signed myself into public rehab a few years ago. I had to sign myself out after two days. It was like a prison. They basically put me on immense doses of Valium and Thiamine injections. First thing I did after signing myself out was get a bottle of wine.
There`s an AA meeting just round the corner from me Friday evening. I`m going to go to it and try and give them another shot
Old 20-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Quote:
Walking...There`s an AA meeting just round the corner from me Friday evening. I`m going to go to it and try and give them another shot
Best of luck mate. And if it doesn't work out, don't give up. There will be a way somewhere.
Old 20-11-2018, 08:39 PM
in the 25th Century

Quote:
Best of luck mate. And if it doesn't work out, don't give up. There will be a way somewhere.
Thank you
Old 20-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Class Swot.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Walking . Past a pub. Thought Just have the one. Didn`t even like the feeling, but then the one became two etc

I signed myself into public rehab a few years ago. I had to sign myself out after two days. It was like a prison. They basically put me on immense doses of Valium and Thiamine injections. First thing I did after signing myself out was get a bottle of wine.
There`s an AA meeting just round the corner from me Friday evening. I`m going to go to it and try and give them another shot
Good luck, we're all here for you if needed.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 21-11-2018, 04:23 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Good luck Pete. You can do it.
Old 21-11-2018, 05:18 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Good luck, we're all here for you if needed.
Yep, keep us posted!
Old 21-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Good luck Pete, believe in yourself.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:42 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Interesting point. I work with a guy who has been in rehab a few times. He was clear for a number of years but over the last few he has had several periods where he has relapsed badly.

I do wonder if it is because the minute he has one drink he thinks, f*ck it now that I have given in, I might as well get hammered. If alcholics were taught perhaps the odd drink or mad night isn't so bad then they would not turn falling off the wagon into such a big deal and then really lose it.
Problem if you're an alcoholic or a problem drinker, is that one is too many, but ten is not enough.

Its a compulsion that I think non-addicts can't understand. Its something in the addict that compels them. Its like mental illness, its a 'war with yourself'.

My problem was with Amphetamine - Others can take it or leave it, but I know that I can't just do a bit and forget about it, because my mind will use that as a means to undermine the determination it takes to stay clear of it. If I slip, my mind will think I have it under control and soon enough I'll believe that, and then the spiral will start again.

The problem isn't in the drink or the drug, its in the person, it doesn't go away its an act of dealing with it on a day by day basis. If the first real step is admitting you have a problem, then telling people that they don't just ends up back at the same location.

In addiction you are dealing with something within yourself that is a part of your essential being, that lies to itself. Its like telling schizophrenics that the voices aren't real - it makes no difference - because to them those voices are real. Addicts are wired differently to people. They have compulsive behavioural routines - Its a part of the existential self the need to drink / drug / gamble etc Its somewhere deep in their neurological make up - its also why alcoholics and drug addicts when the quit often switch their compulsive behaviour towards a more positive outlet (work, AA, hobbies etc).
Old 21-11-2018, 08:53 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Its really hard. rehab is a horrible experience, but its worth sticking it out if you can. The Valium is to help you sleep and control the spasms that can occur (and in some cases be fatal) in withdrawl and the thiamine is to replenish vitamins, all to help with the drying out. But I understand Rehab is a horrible experience (I hated it and its humiliating to some extent to give up so much of your freedom).

Then again if rehab was easy, no one would need it.

My father is an alcoholic, he's been sober now for 44 years, and has been a part of AA for 43 years. He certainly found it helped massively to find others who had been through what he had been, to be able to talk about his problem with people who understood, to undertake the 12 steps and complete them and probably most importantly to build a circle of friends who didn't drink. So much of life revolves around 'social drinking' that its harder for alcoholics - as a recovered drug addict its much easier to avoid speed - but booze is omnipresent. A circle of friends who don't drink makes staying sober easier.
Old 21-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Eagle in the Borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
...The problem isn't in the drink or the drug...
This is absolute nonsense and particularly unhelpful.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
This is absolute nonsense and particularly unhelpful.
I think dogstar is expressing why some people can have a drink or use a drug and then decide that's enough, while for an addict it isn't.

The substance is the same, it's the reaction of an addict/non-addict to that substance that differs.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:28 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Good luck mate. I can't give you any advice on booze. I try not to be a hypocrite.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.