Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Match day threads. The refuge of *****. I thought Palace were affecting my moods for a couple of hours after matches. They were not. Arguing with ***** did. Five minutes after a loss iím over it if i can avoid the BBS for a few hours.

I do not include Worksop Palace in said *****, even though he can be ultra negative.
Yep.

Iíve massively cut down on here. Opinion and debate used to be good but so much of it now is total, unfounded, fickle extremism. That lack of thought or reasoning makes it infuriating and I was getting short tempered both here and away from it. Thatís not me at all and I had to catch myself on!

As for the rest of social media you can thank that for brexit, trump, corbyn etc.. itís insane how opinionated people can be without knowing anything about the subject.

I like the bbs for some on here. I have no palace within hundreds of miles of me so chatting to them, seeing transfer stuff etc is great but you need a filter. Facebook letís me keep in touch with the long lost as Iíve moved so much but again you need a filter.

Crazy how big social media can be in so many ways
Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 PM

EaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Haven't had facebook since 2010, have no other social media. The furthest I'll go is Whatsapp and even then I don't use my phone much. Best decision I've ever made.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:40 PM

NorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is here
Never been on Facebook and never wanted to be on it either!

When I was a teenager/early 20's I was constantly encouraged to go on it. Now I think more and more people are bored with it and don't like what is has on offer.

Loads of people I know have a Facebook account but they rarely, if ever, use it.

Will it be the next Friend's Reunited and disappear? Probably not, but you never know.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM

SeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is here
Never been on Facebook or Instagram and won't ever set an account up however I do have a twitter account for football stuff!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
I think that some of you don't know how to use Facebook. You don't need to close your account to avoid unpleasant material - you just need to select your 'friends' a bit more carefully. Facebook is great for compiling a pictorial diary of one's life. Having used FB for many years now, I love the daily reminders of what I was doing five, six, seven years ago. I also enjoy seeing the pictures/posts from my close friends.

I do usually accept 'Friend' requests, provided they are genuine - but have no hesitation in quietly 'unfriending' those who post unpleasant material. Quite a few apparently racist/xenophobic 'friends' were binned that way after the Brexit vote for example.

Those who remain are either genuine - proper - friends, or those who make me smile. I certainly have a few 'offensive' FB friends - Neil the Fish (was Psychokiller on the BBS before he was banned) for example, who is insulting, rude and hugely offensive - but always makes me laugh.

As for the BBS, as some will know, I stood down as Moderator/Treasurer a few years ago, because I found some of the posts here unacceptable and I didn't always see eye to eye with my fellow moderators. I am glad that I did, because I think the new moderators do an excellent job on the site and I can now come and go when I please - without having to wade through much of the bilge that appears here and there every day. I am sure that I am not alone avoiding GPS after a bad defeat. Some of the vitriol aimed at our owners and the Palace staff is simply awful.

In short, I can see no reason to give up on Twitter, Facebook - nor indeed the BBS. The trick is to avoid stuff which might upset you and use these platforms to follow the people you respect. It's really not that hard.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Did James write anything interesting enough for me to take him off Ignore ?
Old 03-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Did James write anything interesting enough for me to take him off Ignore ?
Nahhh...LOL

Happy New Year James and Richard
Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
And Iíd understand it if the mods are finding it tiresome and onerous to moderate the spats (and mob bullying) that has been going on when Iíve looked at threads such as the Brexit one. Iíve been happy to increasingly ignore those political threads, but the mods canít do that. They must find it a butt ache.

Itís not the primary reason for creating this forum, yet began to dominate and I agree with you that the toxic attitude towards some posters was spilling over on to the football threads.

Iím grateful to the mods for their effort and time, and therefore happy to support their decision on this matter.
The mods will only deserve credit when they move the 'Things I have learnt today' thread back into GCC. Most apalling decision in the history of the BBS moving it to CCG.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Political forum Posts moved to User Help and Suggestions

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-01-2019, 09:58 PM

BELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBELTUP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think that some of you don't know how to use Facebook. You don't need to close your account to avoid unpleasant material - you just need to select your 'friends' a bit more carefully. Facebook is great for compiling a pictorial diary of one's life. Having used FB for many years now, I love the daily reminders of what I was doing five, six, seven years ago. I also enjoy seeing the pictures/posts from my close friends.

I do usually accept 'Friend' requests, provided they are genuine - but have no hesitation in quietly 'unfriending' those who post unpleasant material. Quite a few apparently racist/xenophobic 'friends' were binned that way after the Brexit vote for example.

Those who remain are either genuine - proper - friends, or those who make me smile. I certainly have a few 'offensive' FB friends - Neil the Fish (was Psychokiller on the BBS before he was banned) for example, who is insulting, rude and hugely offensive - but always makes me laugh.

As for the BBS, as some will know, I stood down as Moderator/Treasurer a few years ago, because I found some of the posts here unacceptable and I didn't always see eye to eye with my fellow moderators. I am glad that I did, because I think the new moderators do an excellent job on the site and I can now come and go when I please - without having to wade through much of the bilge that appears here and there every day. I am sure that I am not alone avoiding GPS after a bad defeat. Some of the vitriol aimed at our owners and the Palace staff is simply awful.

In short, I can see no reason to give up on Twitter, Facebook - nor indeed the BBS. The trick is to avoid stuff which might upset you and use these platforms to follow the people you respect. It's really not that hard.
Fluff Busting Purity is great for getting the FB you want. To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Shouldn’t this all be in the Computers & Mobile forum ?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Banned by Moderators

Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Mick Karnival has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Shouldnít this all be in the Computers & Mobile forum ?
that's a political thing to suggest.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Old 04-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Definitely. Everyone presenting their lives as 100% perfect and positive cannot be good for those suffering from depression and stuff.
The 2nd group you mention are more likely the same people the first group.

Its not the people already depressed, but the people depressed because of social media. It’s the dopamine addiction which causes people to keep looking even though they dont know why (humans are made to get pleasure from searching) and the aspiration and fabrication of your life, that everything has to be lived for others rather than for you. The fact that people are never alone anymore (waiting for a train could serve as a form of meditation) watch people, as soon as their friend walks off their phone comes out for no reason other than to stop being alone (next time this happens to you look around the room instead, or alone on the train, look out the window for abit!)

This and staring at a screen destracts you from reality and having to work on communication.

The main thing is the break from dopamine hits though. An ex-Facebook exex admitted it was deliberately designed to do that.

The BBS is just as addictive for the dopamine cycle though. I check it alot, as people are writing things all the time, so it fulfils that searching loop. I have been trying to cut down, but it doesnt help when Townsend plays a blinder and you want to make sure you want to vote for him on the ratings thread haha.

Last edited by MFBias; 04-01-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Got 99 problems...

IpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
The 2nd group you mention are more likely the same people the first group.

Its not the people already depressed, but the people depressed because of social media. Itís the dopamine addiction which causes people to keep looking even though they dont know why (humans are made to get pleasure from searching) and the aspiration and fabrication of your life, that everything has to be lived for others rather than for you. The fact that people are never alone anymore (waiting for a train could serve as a form of meditation) watch people, as soon as their friend walks off their phone comes out for no reason other than to stop being alone (next time this happens to you look around the room instead, or alone on the train, look out the window for abit!)

This and staring at a screen destracts you from reality and having to work on communication.

The main thing is the break from dopamine hits though. An ex-Facebook exex admitted it was deliberately designed to do that.

The BBS is just as addictive for the dopamine cycle though. I check it alot, as people are writing things all the time, so it fulfils that searching loop. I have been trying to cut down, but it doesnt help when Townsend plays a blinder and you want to make sure you want to vote for him on the ratings thread haha.
Sums it up for me. And therefore it is a big new danger to mental health imo.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I don't see this whole 'people show they have perfect lives' business. It might be how the other people perceive it, but not necessarily from the poster. For me, it's just a platform to share with friends and family what you are doing. Why would you post something that is boring or depressive?! I only use it to post pictures and experiences essentially. If people believe because of that, that I (or everyone else) live the 'perfect life' (whatever that means or is) then they are naive more than anything else. There is no such thing as 'the perfect life'.

Last edited by andyocpfc; 04-01-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Choosing to withdraw from social media has the potential to be a political choice and therefore should be moved to the politics forum.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
I dont think so, this is a wider subject than just technology. Itís as wide as mental health and how society has changed as a result, seems a pretty general subject to me.

I for one have never been in that forum and this is a subject Im interested in discussing.

Last edited by MFBias; 04-01-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
I see your point.

But in exactly the same way Brexit is so very, very much more than just politics.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 04-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
I see your point.

But in exactly the same way Brexit is so very, very much more than just politics.
But it is an essentially a political issue, and political issues seep into many topics, but I would still say it is fundamentally political Brexit.