Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:40 PM

western eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewestern eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Palace won 4-1 against Ipswich to go top of Division 1 and then we lost on the following Tuesday 4-1 to Southampton at the Dell where Palace took a lot of fans and even took over their pub right outside their ground

It was indeed a very brief spell as the number one team.

Great memories.
There were so many Palace fans at the Southampton game I couldn't get in, so watched the game from a tree across the road from the Dell. Although it was a shit ground, so I expect there was only a couple of thousand there.

How many professional grounds can you see the match from a tree nowadays!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Was that Southampton game the one where Charlie George I think it was missed a penalty? As previously mentioned, I was in the army at the time stationed in Tidworth Hampshire. I remember going to the dell with an army mate who was a Southampton supporter. The ex arsenal player missed a penalty in that game.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I always fish this stat out so excuse me for repeating myself, but it’s pretty amazing.

The ‘team of the 80’s’ ages at the start of our promotion winning season in 78/79:

Burridge 26
Hinshelwood 22
Sansom 19
Gilbert 18
Cannon 24
Murphy 18
Nicholas 18
Kember 29
Walsh 19
Swindelhurst 22
Hilaire 18
Fenwick 18
It was amazing. Half the team was four or five years older than me - they dressed and looked like our big brothers, when only five years before, the likes of John Sewell and McCormick, great Palace players and heroes that they were, seemed to come from a pre-Beatles world.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:09 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Sums it up really:

Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Rather strangely the single thing I remember about this team was John Burridge wandering about doing a hand-stand before games in the goal mouth. The team were just brilliant. Wasn’t Rachid Harkouk around at this time as well?
Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
And the proof it really happened:

Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 PM

super al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton View Post
Great stuff, look forward to it

Will see if i have pics and dig out my memory from somewhere...

My dad worked with Croydon Advertiser and may have some artwork with Venables and others.
Thanks OJP - that would be great!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Since 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One of the experienced players brought in was Gerry Francis, who's experience was invaluable with the youngsters at the time.
Outstanding and under rated player of the period Paul ( Doris ) Hinslewood, best right back we have ever had.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Uncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
What a brilliant project!

My first game was the Brighton one when Vince got a couple so was obviously hooked from that day. How the f we fell apart so quickly is still a travesty.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
One of the experienced players brought in was Gerry Francis, who's experience was invaluable with the youngsters at the time.
Outstanding and under rated player of the period Paul ( Doris ) Hinslewood, best right back we have ever had.
He isn't even close to the best right back we've ever had

Clyne, AWB, Boyce, Humphrey, all far better than Doris
Old 08-02-2019, 07:34 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

2 seasons later went down bottom on 21/22 points still a record I think
Wouldn't have it any other way
Maybe even next season
CPFC
Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns7 View Post
2 seasons later went down bottom on 21/22 points still a record I think
Wouldn't have it any other way
Maybe even next season
CPFC
Derby went down with 11 points a few years ago, ours is nowhere near the worst
Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post

Doris was a liability similar to supa al
Old 08-02-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Derby went down with 11 points a few years ago, ours is nowhere near the worst
Eleven Christ that's bad at least we haven't got that anymore
I sort of remember that now
The sex case manager and Robbie savage
Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 PM

highfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expand
My memory of Jim Cannon's goal was this. (I was standing on the Holmesdale.)

Ipswich had a corner on the right at the Holmesdale End. JC headed the ball powerfully up towards the left touchline at the halfway line. Mike Flanagan (yes, Mike Flanagan) controlled the ball, turned and lofted a ball to the centre just outside of the Ipswich penalty area. As soon as he had headed the ball JC started sprinting up the centre of the pitch. He met Flanagan's pass just outside the penalty and hit it on the volley with his left foot into the left side of the net. Probably the most perfect goal I've ever seen at SP.

I could be wrong about the details but it was definitely at the Whitehorse End.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

I was at that game too. Don’t have many memories from it although strangely recall clearly, Eric Gates scoring for Ipswich from close range when we were already three up I think.

I do remember getting back from the game and my dad calling me to look at the TV as they were showing the league table. Little did that 6 year old know that he’d never clap eyes on that name at the top ever again!

We nearly did it again back in 1990. Had Forest at home and a win would’ve taken us back to the summit after 11 years. Took an early lead through Shaw, but then Stuart Pearce blasted in two free kicks. Thomas equalised right at the death with an amazing long range looping header, but alas, the chance of seeing us hit the top again came and went.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 08-02-2019, 08:02 PM
Zuffenhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns7 View Post
Doris was a liability similar to supa al
No, he wasn't a liability he was a decent player who always gave 100%

Not the most skillful but an important player in his day.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
He was decent, really. Surrounded by better players, I guess, and his brother was more skilful, but we never got to see him reach his prime.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Zuffenhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I was at that game too. Don’t have many memories from it although strangely recall clearly, Eric Gates scoring for Ipswich from close range when we were already three up I think.

I do remember getting back from the game and my dad calling me to look at the TV as they were showing the league table. Little did that 6 year old know that he’d never clap eyes on that name at the top ever again!

We nearly did it again back in 1990. Had Forest at home and a win would’ve taken us back to the summit after 11 years. Took an early lead through Shaw, but then Stuart Pearce blasted in two free kicks. Thomas equalised right at the death with an amazing long range looping header, but alas, the chance of seeing us hit the top again came and went.
I recall Bobby Robson was quite disparaging of us after the game. Not quite the gentlemanly reaction you would have expected from him

That Ipswich side weren't used to being completely outclassed, but that's what happened to them on that day
Old 08-02-2019, 08:07 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

He was probably the most improved player in the side of the late 70s, and a reliable penalty taker to boot.