Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
Mystery of Palace victory featured in Rotherham Hall of Fame

My wife's aunt is a Rotherham season ticket holder and to celebrate her 80th birthday yesterday we all went to the Rotherham game and afterwards went to a party in their function suite in the main stand. It's a very impressive facility overlooking the pitch and next to the Boardroom and during the party they showed videos of the manager and squad wishing my wife's aunt a happy birthday.

When I went for a stroll to look at their Hall of Fame, I was surprised to find a photo of our away game from 2003. It was memorable for a few reasons. Firstly because we won 3-1, secondly because we sat in the home end with my wife's aunt and thirdly because her son-in-law nearly got chucked out for cheering Palace's goals too enthusiastically (he's a Wednesday supporter).

The date was a bit mysterious though as accordding to records that was the date of our home game. The away game was in December. Alternatively it could have been our away game against them in April 2004 which we also won (2-1). More of a mystery is why they would want to highlight a defeat to the mighty Palace in their Hall of Fame.

Last edited by stamford triumph; 10-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:33 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
Was that their first season up in second div?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Super Furry Animal

Riley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Who’s the player behind Watson?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
I remember a few fans getting on the pitch when we won 3-2 on the opening day in 2002 (Jamie Smith winner?) as a result one of their stewards get stretchered off and the police went ott on us after the game.
We played them shortly before Christmas on a Sunday lunchtime in 2002 and Tommy Black had a stormer. Think Francis pushed him up top at the time due to injuries.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
Who’s the player behind Watson?
Derry had some shocking haircuts at the time could be him?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Derry had some shocking haircuts at the time could be him?
I was about to post the same comment!

Hard to be sure that’s him, but Shaun Derry did have spikey hair like that for a while.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:21 AM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Garry Borrowdales debut?
Old 11-02-2019, 01:32 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Maybe they will have a similar photo in the Man City Hall of Fame in the future showing them playing Palace with a caption stating, “Crystal Palace 2018/2019 season... City’s only home loss in an otherwise perfect record at The Etihad”.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:33 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Oh, and how about them baggy shirts!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:50 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
That looks like our Old Stand to me stamford triumph. I think the inscription is correct and it’s the 0-0 game at Selhurst.

Have had a look at the records, and the only game both Butterfield and Watson played against Rotherham in, was in a 0-0 draw at home on April 19th 2003. Sean Derry and their Paul Hurst also played in that game.

I think that photo is definitely from that match.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 11-02-2019, 07:22 AM

Palaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
That looks like our Old Stand to me stamford triumph. I think the inscription is correct and it’s the 0-0 game at Selhurst.

Have had a look at the records, and the only game both Butterfield and Watson played against Rotherham in, was in a 0-0 draw at home on April 19th 2003. Sean Derry and their Paul Hurst also played in that game.

Definitely the home game as Watson only made his debut (when he was MOTM in a 0-1 home loss to Watford with fellow youth debuter David Hunt scoring an own goal) about ten days earlier!

I think the 0-0 was the first game after Francis was sacked (which Jordan bizarrely boasts about being on Francis’s birthday but wasn’t) and Kember was in charge but the programme still had notes from Francis in it.

Maybe the point ensured their safety in their first season back?

The Palace Addiction.
A fans eye view of the 09/10 season.
Available in the club shop and online store as a paperback, as well as Amazon as a paperback and ebook. £7.99 as a PB, £3.99 as an ebook.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref...x=the+palace+a

Last edited by Palaceboy222; 11-02-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:04 AM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

By jove, I think you're right. The stand looks so ancient and sparsely populated that I had just assumed it was Millmoor. Looking at the table we both finished mid-table on the same number of points (with Brighton relegated).

Strangely enough Millmoor still exists in all its glory near to the new stadium - it hasn't been touched since the day the owners locked the club out in 2008. They recently started playing youth football there though so apparently the pitch is immaculately kept.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I think that Rotherham aren't particularly highlighting a game against Palace for any particular reason, they just wanted a picture of that particular Rotherham player (who is presumably a RUFC legend?) and that was the best picture they could easily get of him?
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 11-02-2019, 09:39 AM

Norwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaceboy222 View Post
Definitely the home game as Watson only made his debut (when he was MOTM in a 0-1 home loss to Watford with fellow youth debuter David Hunt scoring an own goal) about ten days earlier!

I think the 0-0 was the first game after Francis was sacked (which Jordan bizarrely boasts about being on Francis’s birthday but wasn’t) and Kember was in charge but the programme still had notes from Francis in it.

Maybe the point ensured their safety in their first season back?
It wasn't their first season back. Rotherham were in Division One from 2001/02 through to 2004/05 - in the 2004/05 it re-branded to the Championship/League One/League Two structure that remains today.

I have asked my brother what the significance is to this as he has been a season ticket holder for donkey's years and the Millers are my 2nd Team through family connections but, I have not got a clue on why that is up there in pride and place.

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Norwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
I think that Rotherham aren't particularly highlighting a game against Palace for any particular reason, they just wanted a picture of that particular Rotherham player (who is presumably a RUFC legend?) and that was the best picture they could easily get of him?
I think you might be right. Paul Hurst is a Rotherham legend, he played for the club between 1993 and 2008 featuring in over 450 games for the club.

Apart from a 17-game loan for Burton in 2008 he was a one-club man.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:44 AM

davematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember this game and for a strange reason.

This was the first game with new 'injury time' rules (30 seconds for a sub, 60 seconds for a goal etc..) and they took it to the extreme on the opening day.

I remember their being something like 5-6 minutes at the end of the first half and 7-8 at the end of the second
Old 11-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post
I think you might be right. Paul Hurst is a Rotherham legend, he played for the club between 1993 and 2008 featuring in over 450 games for the club.

Apart from a 17-game loan for Burton in 2008 he was a one-club man.
Indeed. He also managed Shrewsbury against Rotherham in last year's Play-Off final. Moved to manage Ipswich in the summer but left there recently. Shrews fans were wanting him back but I think they've since moved on.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Just to confirm that it is definitely the match at Selhurst Park - the one we played away was on the 22nd December - We won 3-1 but, I was in the Away End with my younger brother and my older brother, cousin and his eldest son were stood on The Tivoli end at the other end of the ground.

Was 366 days after we buried my father who was a season ticket at Rotherham United for the best part of 3 decades travelling up Coventry, South London, Newark and Norwich and was a founding member of the London Millers who are the clubs biggest supporters club.

We were wearing our black away kit that day, in the picture on display at the New York Stadium we are clearly wearing our very dark blue home kit of that season:

Old 11-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Indeed. He also managed Shrewsbury against Rotherham in last year's Play-Off final. Moved to manage Ipswich in the summer but left there recently. Shrews fans were wanting him back but I think they've since moved on.
He did yeah, I was at that match, 5th time at Wembley to watch Rotherham, a Football League Trophy win back in 1996 and 4 Play-Off Finals.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
I don't remember Watson having the squad number 42. I guess it must have been one of his earliest appearances.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk