Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-04-2017, 03:13 AM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
A tad extreme IMO. Armstrong always struck me as a confidence based player, and the whole team struggled for goals for much of 94/95. Armstrong was (and I'm guessing still is) a naturally reserved guy and struggled the intrusion that came with his stock rising. You're also forgetting how well he did for us in 92/93.
I'll grant you the way he left wasn't great (just look at his reaction to his goal at home to West Ham) but Smith didn't help matters.
I never forgot the force Armstrong was in our Championship season and that is why his lack of professionalism and the cost to us in the Premiership was so unforgivable. His drug taking deprived us of the extra edge I'm sure he could have provided us, if in top condition. Admittedly, as you say, we were poor going forward in general but Armstrong was, by far, the biggest let down, especially as it wouldn't have taken much more from him to keep us up, considering how solid our defense was that season. Sorry but I have no respect for the guy. He pissed his talent away.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Only one of 3 men to hit more than 10 goals in a season since the dawn of the premier league, be nice if Benteke can match his 15

Last edited by gold76; 21-04-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 21-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
I don't really remember all the anger towards Armstrong that I'm seeing on this thread.

The drugs thing was a mess, but I remember him being popular and great to watch, and that was about it.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Pub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The 'drugs' thing was a misnomer - he missed a couple of weeks as he had smoked a dooby or 2. Not a huge deal.

The problem for him was his lack of partner resulted in a dip of confidence. Had we bought in Dowie earlier or Paul Steward or Kennet Anderson etc Then he would have been fine. He was one of the best forwards we have had IMO.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
The 'drugs' thing was a misnomer - he missed a couple of weeks as he had smoked a dooby or 2. Not a huge deal.

The problem for him was his lack of partner resulted in a dip of confidence. Had we bought in Dowie earlier or Paul Steward or Kennet Anderson etc Then he would have been fine. He was one of the best forwards we have had IMO.
I actually seem to remember people being more angry at Alan Smith about the drugs thing. I can't remember exactly what happened, just that he predictably threw Armstrong under the bus about the whole thing
Old 21-04-2017, 11:31 AM

CommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Never forgive myself for going heart over brain and picking Armstrong over Klinnsmann in my Fantasy Team
Old 21-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Pub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
I actually seem to remember people being more angry at Alan Smith about the drugs thing. I can't remember exactly what happened, just that he predictably threw Armstrong under the bus about the whole thing
If I recall correctly then Smith was under no pressure or obligation go public. He could have just said he was injured for 2 weeks and kept it hush hush. It was only cannabis after all.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:47 AM

to add further - Armstrong was not without blame. He did seem stroppy at times and did go missing to an extent.

I would class his talent levels as top drawer though. Had he had the desire and aggression he would have been an England player -I often wondered if he and Collymore could have played for Palace together (had the seasons been slighty more insync) and taken the Wright/Bright partnership to another level. Who knows.
Old 21-04-2017, 03:02 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
to add further - Armstrong was not without blame. He did seem stroppy at times and did go missing to an extent.

I would class his talent levels as top drawer though. Had he had the desire and aggression he would have been an England player -I often wondered if he and Collymore could have played for Palace together (had the seasons been slighty more insync) and taken the Wright/Bright partnership to another level. Who knows.
Impossible mate, they were the best partnership we have ever had.
Old 21-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Nige's tache

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:

people made comparisons with the Wright/Bright partnership with Williams/Armstrong. Farcical in hindsight, but the pressure to fill that void was huge. It was impossible to replicate the partnership they had. Armstrong was very unassuming off the pitch, and didn't like the limelight which I think some confused as arrogance.
He was so quick over 10 yards, and utilised the flanks so well as a striker, and is one of the best finishers with his head i've seen in my time. Smith dropped Armstrong in it with the failed drugs test, and I think it all but finished the relationship, coupled with the fact that his best mate Preece who wasn't featuring at the time, didn't get on with Smith as well.
Armstrong never quite gets the credit he deserves IMO particularly for the way he filled the void left by messrs Bright & Wright.

Last edited by jaspercpfc; 21-04-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 21-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
Impossible mate, they were the best partnership we have ever had.
Of course they were the best - I was saying that a Collymore/Armstrong partnership in say 1995/96 would have been amazing and maybe even better. Didn't happen so don't matter - Just a thought.