Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Depends....do you want to look clever amongst your peers, or are you going for some entertaining stuff?
They are not mutually exclusive, although I am of course peerless which renders personal application redundant.

Now, before I compare notes with Donald on the greatness of our humility, do you have any suggestions that I won't reply to like a frog?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Am going away on a lengthy sojourn end of next week, I need to stock up methinks.

Suggestions welcome
On Golden Hill will tickle your fancy, I feel. Nifty 17th c New York novel, and a slight pastiche of the writers of the era (Fieldings etc). The new Shardlake is possibly the best of the series.
Erm what else? Read any Fante?
Old 08-11-2018, 03:13 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Never read Fante, Ask the Dust?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 PM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Rereading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Read it when it first came out and really enjoying it a second time around.

Interested in watching the TV adaptation, the cast looks goods so fingers crossed.
Blimey think I read that sometime in the 80's
Old 08-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Currently reading Brave new world by Aldous Huxley.

My eldest is reading it for A level this year so I thought I’d join in.

So far, so good.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Have the 12th and final volume of Dance to the music of time by Anthony Powell waiting to be read. A thoroughly entertaining and extremely funny series.

Must be strange for an author when one of their titles is translated over a decade after it was first published in their native language. Was lucky to hear Olga Tokarczuk talking about Flights earlier this year; she said it was strange being interviewed about a novel she'd written so long ago.

And recommended for dipping into is Signs and symptons by Róbert Gál, a splendid collection of aphorisms and philosophical fragments.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:24 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Currently reading Brave new world by Aldous Huxley.

My eldest is reading it for A level this year so I thought I’d join in.

So far, so good.
^^^ Brilliant ending.

I've recently finished The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye - I thought it was OK, but the original 3 were such a hard act to follow.

Now nearly finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Been quite disappointed really - it's like he's telling the stories to a 12 year old. Easy to read is one thing, but it's like it's been dumbed down.

Don't know what I'll read next. Maybe re-read Arc Light by Eric L. Harry - the best nuclear war book I've ever read - or one of the Steven King ones I haven't got round to (eg 11.22.63).
Old 08-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
^^^ Brilliant ending.

I've recently finished The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye - I thought it was OK, but the original 3 were such a hard act to follow.

Now nearly finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Been quite disappointed really - it's like he's telling the stories to a 12 year old. Easy to read is one thing, but it's like it's been dumbed down.

Don't know what I'll read next. Maybe re-read Arc Light by Eric L. Harry - the best nuclear war book I've ever read - or one of the Steven King ones I haven't got round to (eg 11.22.63).
Just looking at the kind of books you've posted before... have you read 'From the Corner of his Eye' by Dean Koontz? It was the first book I read of his and thought it was a fantastic read. Unfortunately, the rest of his material that I read were disappointing in comparison.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Im on the new Stephen King Novella.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 08-11-2018, 09:01 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Blimey think I read that sometime in the 80's
It only came out in 1990!

Like TAK, I'm looking forward (albeit cautiously) to the TV adaptation. I'm a fan of both authors but in Good Omens they seemed to temper each other's excesses.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Misfit View Post
I'm reading the Patrick Melrose novels be Edward St. Aubyn, all in a single volume so I might as well read all five in one go. I've almost finished the second and they're very good so far.
I read them about five years ago and then took them straight to Oxfam as I thought they were awful. I believe you upbraided me for buying them all in one go without knowing what they were like beforehand. They were only about a tenner all in, but you were quite right.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:07 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
Just looking at the kind of books you've posted before... have you read 'From the Corner of his Eye' by Dean Koontz?
No I haven't. I think I may have read one of his books a long time ago but don't remember it being particularly good, but I'll check this one out. As a big Steven King fan I think I've subconsciously bracketed DK as "writes horror stories but not quite as well as SK" along with others like James Herbert. Doesn't mean I won't read them, but also means I don't seek them out, as such.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:52 AM

Palace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
Just looking at the kind of books you've posted before... have you read 'From the Corner of his Eye' by Dean Koontz? It was the first book I read of his and thought it was a fantastic read. Unfortunately, the rest of his material that I read were disappointing in comparison.
I rather enjoyed Koontz's "Lighting".
Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Yankee View Post
I rather enjoyed Koontz's "Lighting".
For some reason this reminded me of when I got lost in Ikea, but won't hold that against it. Thanks mate, I'll check it out.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
No I haven't. I think I may have read one of his books a long time ago but don't remember it being particularly good, but I'll check this one out. As a big Steven King fan I think I've subconsciously bracketed DK as "writes horror stories but not quite as well as SK" along with others like James Herbert. Doesn't mean I won't read them, but also means I don't seek them out, as such.
I'm with you on there, but this one's a bit special, can almost guarantee you'll love it.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
^^^ Brilliant ending.

Read 11.22.63

Superb
Old 09-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Read 11.22.63

Superb
Everyone says the same... I really should get round to it.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Everyone says the same... I really should get round to it.
You should
Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Can't re member

Jules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is hereJules Sam the man is here
Quote:
Read 11.22.63

Superb
I heard he's planning sequels on the deaths of CS Lewis and Aldous Huxley. Can't wait....
Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Read 11.22.63

Superb
I concur, its a a great read. The TV adaptation was a real let down. Just about to embark on the 1,300 pages of King's 'The Stand'. Should finish it by spring time !

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller