Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 20-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
you wouldn't have even known he was playing today.
Old 20-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
He's not the great striker people love to make out. No doubt he will score a couple but even Newcastle fans are starting to criticise him.
Old 20-08-2017, 02:07 PM

macstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmacstar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
finisher/poacher..needs to be part of a front 2. simples
Old 20-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
He's not the great striker people love to make out. No doubt he will score a couple but even Newcastle fans are starting to criticise him.
Agreed, I was critisced for my response (which I've posted again below last September) to questioning whether Gayle was that good. If Newcastle get bodies over the line this week, which I think they will, I reckon he may revert to his supersub role. I don't think he does enough for the team. That aside Newcastle have looked a poor team this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
You've made it quite clear you don't rate him. Just how many goals does he have to score for you to have the balls to admit you're wrong?
POSTED SEPTEMBER 2016
He's found his level, and is doing well. I just disagree with your previous statement stating he is a proven premier striker. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the clubs queuing up for his signature a few months back will say otherwise.
Some of my favourite strikers at Selhurst haven't necessarily been good enough for the top flight. Dougie was never really given a run by Sir Steve first time round (97/98) before being bombed out to Wolves, and was only a bit part player in 04/05. Even Clinton struggled with the step up at Brum.
It is no indictment on them as players individually, but rewind 4 months when the fans begged for a "Proven" top flight striker, very few would have stated we already have one on our books in Gayle.
4 managers (5 if we include Millen) never thought he was good enough, and although parts of his game improved in the last year he was still decidedly mediocre (Put in a very credible effort at home to United, and was very good at home to Stoke)
On a sidenote it's a real shame Pulis left as Gayle was developing in to a better player, and then his career stalled again.

This forum had many people demanding Pards play Gayle off a target man. However on the few occasions that we did retain possession in advanced positions, I didn't see enough movement or, importantly, pace to frighten top flight defences and he often looked very static. If you rewind to his goals, most are well taken, but he seldom burst past defenders with the ball or off the shoulder, nor did he drift into space to collect the ball. I've had people comparing Gayle to AJ on this thread. AJ made the lone striker role his own in the Prem all those years ago pulling off the defence/working the flanks, making positive runs, and he had more of a natural instinct in my opinion, I don't think any of these apply to Gayle.
Old 20-08-2017, 02:43 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Gayle is a great player, but can not play the lone target man role.. in the 451 4231 era he isn't really get a look in at the top level.

Tell you what if you are losing with 20 minutes to go and want to play two up top, would be a great player bring on.
Old 20-08-2017, 02:58 PM

CP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Gayle is a great player, but can not play the lone target man role.. in the 451 4231 era he isn't really get a look in at the top level.

Tell you what if you are losing with 20 minutes to go and want to play two up top, would be a great player bring on.
Great player? He's a good, instinctive finisher but has no other strengths that make him even good at premier league level, let alone great.
Old 20-08-2017, 05:17 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
He's a decent player but some Palace fans see him as some kind of demi god and he really isn't that good at this level. However in the championship I would break the bank for him as he is awesome at that level
Old 20-08-2017, 11:03 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
most palace fans agree that gayle isn't good enough as main sole striker for the premier league but thought he would score lots of goals in the championship - and we were right
Old 21-08-2017, 02:35 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
In fairness to Gayle, however good he actually is, only strikers for quality teams look good when they are playing up top alone
Old 21-08-2017, 06:56 AM

dufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Time & time again on the radio commentary yesterday they remarked on Gayles lack of movement. Sounded exactly like the player we had tbh. Not good enough for the Prem, good sub to have though.
Old 21-08-2017, 07:12 AM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
Say what you want about Gayle, but he gave us one of the most iconic and memorable moments in our premier league stint so far
Old 21-08-2017, 07:31 AM

Palaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceboy222 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
In fairness to Gayle, however good he actually is, only strikers for quality teams look good when they are playing up top alone
Except AJ

The Palace Addiction.
A fans eye view of the 09/10 season.
Available in the club shop and online store as a paperback, as well as Amazon as a paperback and ebook. 7.99 as a PB, 3.99 as an ebook.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref...x=the+palace+a
Old 21-08-2017, 07:33 AM

Jon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJon_C-Pal came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 View Post
Say what you want about Gayle, but he gave us one of the most iconic and memorable moments in our premier league stint so far
Agreed. Top scorer in 2 of his 3 seasons with us, which wasn't alot but important goals none the less. His last minute goal against Villa away and his penalty against Sunderland to put us 2-1 up are 2 that stick out as important to our survival that season, then you've got his goals against Burnley in his second season.
Old 21-08-2017, 07:42 AM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
It's hard playing that lone striker role, particularity when you are the size of Gayle. No matter how hard he battled, winning headers against bigger central defenders, he just couldn't play at all. When he played with Murray though, we looked really effective. That Liverpool game where we pegged it back was classic Palace moment.

He needs to play in a front 2 to be effective at this level I think. Whether that means he is up to it will be down to him. I can't remember him playing or having that much of a chance in playing in a front two.

Him and Benteke up top would of been nice to see develop if we could of kept him last season.
Old 21-08-2017, 11:05 AM

bodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bet he is the first to get done for diving. Good finisher so should handle the step back up has had injury problems so may not be 100% fit yet.
Old 21-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger View Post
Bet he is the first to get done for diving. Good finisher so should handle the step back up has had injury problems so may not be 100% fit yet.
Don't think he can. They only review them if its made a significant impact on the match - given he didn't get anything for it, clearly it didn't.
Old 21-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C-Pal View Post
Agreed. Top scorer in 2 of his 3 seasons with us, which wasn't alot but important goals none the less. His last minute goal against Villa away and his penalty against Sunderland to put us 2-1 up are 2 that stick out as important to our survival that season, then you've got his goals against Burnley in his second season.
I can think of goals at home to Liverpool and Spurs that second season, but other than those and the couple you've quoted, I can't think of many others he scored in games that had anything riding on them. Which isn't a great return over three seasons.

One of the most overrated players we've had in my opinion.
Old 21-08-2017, 12:10 PM

Friskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFriskey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Championship player.
Old 21-08-2017, 12:57 PM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
He'll get his 10+ goals this season if he stays fit. Proper striker but looks poor when he doesn't score.
Old 21-08-2017, 02:31 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Flat track Championship bully. Stick him in a team managed by Warnock and you're guaranteed to get promoted, then relegated next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ