Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best source for 4k films

I have a very nice 4k TV and I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm not getting the most out of it as the majority of the content I play through it isn't 4k.

I did have Netflix 4k for a while, but the content is rather limited here in Switerland so the extra cost didn't seem worth it.

At the moment, Amazon Prime app is not working on LG TV.

Google Play Movies only allows 4k through the Chromecast 4k hardware.

Apple Movies only allows it through their 4k player.

Rakuten TV app seems to be very amateurish

Ultraflix doesn't seem to be available outside the US

I'm getting close to going back to torrenting at this rate...

Anyone have any better ideas? If I went for a player, as far as I understand it, Xbox One wins hands down for Blu-ray 4k playback? Which is a shame as game content wise it looks to be losing to the PS4...
Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
I have a very nice 4k TV and I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm not getting the most out of it as the majority of the content I play through it isn't 4k.

I did have Netflix 4k for a while, but the content is rather limited here in Switerland so the extra cost didn't seem worth it.

Google Play Movies only allows 4k through the Chromecast 4k hardware.

Apple Movies only allows it through their 4k player.

Rakuten TV app seems to be very amateurish

Ultraflix doesn't seem to be available outside the US

I'm getting close to going back to torrenting at this rate...

Anyone have any better ideas? If I went for a player, as far as I understand it, Xbox One wins hands down for Blu-ray 4k playback? Which is a shame as game content wise it looks to be losing to the PS4...
I have only just started to look at this seriously and have a similar question. We have held off the move to 4K UHD HDR until things settle down (prices and tech) a little although it never stops. As I understand it the HDR probably has a bigger impact than the 4K. We are taking a punt and moving our main Screen to 4K shortly.

I am interested in where is the best place to buy UHD/HDR blue rays. Again as I understand it the Apple and most other streaming providers offer 4K movies but they don't offer the full sound (Atmos etc). Kaleidescape does but at premium hardware and movie cost from what I can see and the UK store is limited from what I can see and it can take ages to download the movie too (it in effect downloads the blu Ray not stream). So to get the very best out of it you probably need to buy blurays (something I had stopped doing).

The best UK place I have found seems to be HMV balancing choice and cost. They run a 2 for £30 on a lot of titles. I did order one bluray from wowHD uk only to discover it's the US version and you can't use the ultraviolet code. The 4K disk is region free but not the rest. The Hut have a reasonable range think they are a sister to Zavvi who also offer some.

Would be interested to know what other options there are stream/download/bluray.

One beef I have is the premium pricing on the blu rays but it's nothing new. The movie companies are releasing a lot of older movies in 4K but still charging circa £30 a pop - I.e. Same as brand new releases. Their only costs here are creation and issue of the disks etc and some enhanced processing to optimise the picture at 4K. It just seems to me that this is false economy and it slows down the adoption curve and they surely make less profit.

Will post any new 4K content things on this thread when I find them

Thx
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
If you have a fire stick then terrarium tv has a selection of 4K films in its movie section.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 AM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
@Martin H - Totally agree, HDR does stand out a lot more than plain 4k from 1080p videos.

I thought there would be lots of replies telling me how easy it was to stream 4k... but obviously not. Seems crazy it is this difficult.

I too thought the days of owning physical media were over. I haven't bought a disc in years, but it looks like going back down that route is the only way to get an easy 4k experience. Quite disappointing!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 AM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
@Martin H - Totally agree, HDR does stand out a lot more than plain 4k from 1080p videos.

I thought there would be lots of replies telling me how easy it was to stream 4k... but obviously not. Seems crazy it is this difficult.

I too thought the days of owning physical media were over. I haven't bought a disc in years, but it looks like going back down that route is the only way to get an easy 4k experience. Quite disappointing!
What is quite frustrating is that there aren't that many places selling blurays these days, compared to before and so choice and prices aren't very good at the moment. Back when I was last buying there were loads and very competitive.

Good luck hunting them down.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
4k HDR is genuinely better from a blu ray than streamed although Netflix is catching up and its Dolby Vision titles are really very good.

Until it's more reasonably priced I've been buying the latest 4k blue rays @£20-25 and immediately selling them on eBay while they are still new out and getting £16-24 back!

Probably averaging £4/5 cost per movie after postage etc and I'm getting the best picture and sound you can by. Half the price of cinema and better

Thankfully in recent months there has been a big increase in 4k movies being released.

Further to this some are fake 4k and some are real 4k. Another topic but real 4k is noticeably better
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM

OneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Is there anywhere to find 4k streams on Kodi?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Is this still true? Working fine on my LG TV ...
Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 AM

I hadn't found it until the other day but CEX has shops and an online store and buys and sells 4k as well as bluray, games etc etc. Have to assume the ultraviolet codes have been used but the disks should be there. If you are not too fussed about brand new disks and the UV there pricing is far better. I have ordered a couple to try it out.

So far I have ordered from WowHD (but care us versions of UV and BluRay), HMV, The Hut and now CEX. The latter isn't due yet but the rest all arrived and seem OK.

The more I have looked into this the less I understand why distributors have set 4k pricing so high. There are already a raft of issues that make it difficult to build a market in 4k physical disks. Streaming, traditional blu-ray quality sufficient for many and most people think (mistakenly) that 4k streams are the same as 4k blu rays and there is quite a difference. So why price it so highly when their costs are the disk production, distribution and a one off conversion/mastering process. So instead of buying all your old fave movies in 4k the £20-30 quid a pop puts people off. It also allows shops like CEX to pop up and resell which reduces the new sales. Not sure they have this right but it is how it is, so....

To make the above worst I am also discovering that, perhaps bizarrely, most people don't care that they get the best picture and audio despite forking out on expensive TV and audio kit. I think most people don't understand there is a difference.

P.s. Does anyone on here use Ultraviolet downloads and if so how do you register access them in the UK these days? I get the impression this is a big of a mess over here now.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Don't expect too much from CEX.
You'll open the case and be greeted by the waft of fag smoke if their games are anything to go by.

And do expect fingerprints all over the disc too.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Don't expect too much from CEX.
You'll open the case and be greeted by the waft of fag smoke if their games are anything to go by.

And do expect fingerprints all over the disc too.
They have arrived just now. Not quite that bad but I haven't played them yet.

Certainly a better price than doing it any other way.

BTW - having tried to puzzle over the whole UV digital download thing I give. It looks a complete mess at best and at worst a con in the UK. Surprised they can get away with it.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:18 PM
'or 0=0'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmith View Post
Is this still true? Working fine on my LG TV ...
Turns out it was my internet connection. I live in a school boarding house and for some reason the firewall was blocking it. Amazon Prime over in Switzerland is pretty useless though. So much missing content compared to the UK
Old 26-06-2018, 08:56 PM
TV size DOES matter !!

Location: US Outpost #31, Station 4 of the United States Antarctic Research Institute
Always an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlways an Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I hadn't found it until the other day but CEX has shops and an online store and buys and sells 4k as well as bluray, games etc etc. Have to assume the ultraviolet codes have been used but the disks should be there. If you are not too fussed about brand new disks and the UV there pricing is far better. I have ordered a couple to try it out.

So far I have ordered from WowHD (but care us versions of UV and BluRay), HMV, The Hut and now CEX. The latter isn't due yet but the rest all arrived and seem OK.

The more I have looked into this the less I understand why distributors have set 4k pricing so high. There are already a raft of issues that make it difficult to build a market in 4k physical disks. Streaming, traditional blu-ray quality sufficient for many and most people think (mistakenly) that 4k streams are the same as 4k blu rays and there is quite a difference. So why price it so highly when their costs are the disk production, distribution and a one off conversion/mastering process. So instead of buying all your old fave movies in 4k the £20-30 quid a pop puts people off. It also allows shops like CEX to pop up and resell which reduces the new sales. Not sure they have this right but it is how it is, so....

To make the above worst I am also discovering that, perhaps bizarrely, most people don't care that they get the best picture and audio despite forking out on expensive TV and audio kit. I think most people don't understand there is a difference.

P.s. Does anyone on here use Ultraviolet downloads and if so how do you register access them in the UK these days? I get the impression this is a big of a mess over here now.
4K Blu-ray's aren't regionally locked I read somewhere.

As to buying them, eBay for me, factory sealed I'm saving around £5 a disc.

But I do check out the reviews on Blu-ray.com, at these prices I'm not prepared to take a punt if they suggest the picture is only marginally better than normal blu, which upscaled will still be excellent.

I've looked and for streaming and Rakuten by far have the most choice on both purchase and rentals. I got an offer on the new Jumanji and I was staggered by the picture quality, so have dipped in in other bargains.

The lossless sound of discs though is noticeably better, especially if you've got a full 5.1, or Atmos.

The main UV UK partner is Flixster, but occasionally Google. Both allow device downloads and chromecasting.

Last edited by Always an Eagle; 27-06-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
I got a Phillips 42" 4KTV and was loving the colour and vibrancy compared to my Sony's BUT I was watching the football and they said I could see it in 4K via Iplayer. I ran this but thought it was shocking. The colours were like dishwater so quickly went back to freeview HD. I also have a Firestick on the 55" Sony but thought of getting a 4K fireTV. Opinions welcome

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013

Please if you can donate to this, give back some of the joy you have had watching the 'A Palace Minute' series from BUBBS11.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
How much 4k football is available?
Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

Quote:
Turns out it was my internet connection. I live in a school boarding house and for some reason the firewall was blocking it. Amazon Prime over in Switzerland is pretty useless though. So much missing content compared to the UK
Yes, you weren't missing much IMO. The UK one is shocking too.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
I got a Phillips 42" 4KTV and was loving the colour and vibrancy compared to my Sony's BUT I was watching the football and they said I could see it in 4K via Iplayer. I ran this but thought it was shocking. The colours were like dishwater so quickly went back to freeview HD. I also have a Firestick on the 55" Sony but thought of getting a 4K fireTV. Opinions welcome
I have been quite pleased with the 4k versions of both Apple and Fire TV. Everything looks and sounds better than the older versions that I had.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I have been quite pleased with the 4k versions of both Apple and Fire TV. Everything looks and sounds better than the older versions that I had.
Thanks Fire TV it is then. Trying to get as far away from Apple as poss now. Siri is crap, prices stupid arrogance worse than Microsoft in its heyday

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013

Please if you can donate to this, give back some of the joy you have had watching the 'A Palace Minute' series from BUBBS11.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina