Vic Rouse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vic Rouse.

My older brother's all time Palace hero.
    Before my time but I know he was one of our all time great keepers. Welsh too!
    Thoughts?
    But You Know It's By Your Side I will Stay.

Originally posted by Coastal Palace View Post
    Thoughts?
    Vic was a very good keeper making 238 appearances for the club. He was the first of three great keepers followed by the brave and agile Bill Glazier and then John Jackson who was brilliant and made 393 appearances

Comment

Thoughts?
      Very good, yes. All time great? Hmmm.
      Michael Road

Comment

Originally posted by johnbush View Post
        Vic Rouse 4th division goalkeeper playing for Wales,bet you probably wont see that again,
        John Byrne 4th Division selected for England,bet you probably wont see that again,
        This is our History and I was one of the lucky ones to experience it.
        Met Vic Rouse once waiting for his bus after training,no flashy cars in those days.
        Incredible looking back,at what a team we had late 50s early 60s,its only now that we old timers appreciate the talent we had!
        Come on you GLAZIERS!
        COYP

Comment

I was lucky enough to be presented with trophies by both Vic Rouse and Johnny Byrne. As a kid I was totally overwhelmed.
          H

Comment

He was my manager when I played against Jimmy Greaves and that great old warrior Bobby Kellard.

Comment

Originally posted by Swoonara View Post
              He was my manager when I played against Jimmy Greaves and that great old warrior Bobby Kellard.
              Who was that for, come on don't be modest.

Comment

Originally posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
                Who was that for, come on don't be modest.
                According to Wiki, Vic Rouse only managed Atlanta in USA and Met. Police in England so I guess it must be Met. Police.

Can't find when Greavsie and Kellard played together though.

Greaves played for Barnet at the fag-end of his career and Kellard played for Chelmsford at his.

Good story though.
                Last edited by GorBlimey; 25-08-2017, 01:02 AM.
                We're the boys in claret and blue, who the f*cking hell are you?

Comment

You should be a detective!!!
                  Southern League Cup 1st round second leg. lost 3-1

Comment

Oh,and it was Chelmsford.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbush View Post
                      From what I've heard/been told then he should be considered an all time Palace great.
                      Lord knows we've not many to choose from!

Comment

From what I've heard/been told then he should be considered an all time Palace great.
                        Lord knows we've not many to choose from!
                        Trouble is there are only a few left that saw him play.......If you gave me a choice there are at least four since him that would be in the all time great side Jacko ,Nigel, Jules and Bill Glazier..... You want to try and name 5 right backs or left backs much harder....

Comment

Originally posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
                          Trouble is there are only a few left that saw him play.......If you gave me a choice there are at least four since him that would be in the all time great side Jacko ,Nigel, Jules and Bill Glazier..... You want to try and name 5 right backs or left backs much harder....
                          ****inell! Don't say that! Makes me feel older than I look. And feel.
                          My older bruv is 64 and remembers Vic Rouse very well.
                          He was going up Selhurst when he was 5. Like me.

No offence but I'll take his word with regards our best keeper from the 50's/60's era.

Comment

My father in law saw him play. Not a great deal of use remembering much other than 'yeah, he was good'.

If its any consolation, he only ever really mentions Vic Rouse and 'Budgie' Byrne from his earliest years of watching Palace so he must have been decent to be in such company.
                            "Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Comment

Originally posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
                              I've had the pleasure of seeing them all. Nigel Martyn was the best closely followed by Jacko. Glazier was brave as a lion, commanded the box superbly and was very agile, he would be my number three.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
                                My father in law saw him play. Not a great deal of use remembering much other than 'yeah, he was good'.

If its any consolation, he only ever really mentions Vic Rouse and 'Budgie' Byrne from his earliest years of watching Palace so he must have been decent to be in such company.
                                There were other stars in that era.... powerful forward Cliff Holton, centre half Alan Stephenson, forward Peter Burridge and winger Bobby Kellard.. Incidentally unlike today's transfer window and it's emotional build up, transfers were possible throughout the season. New players seemingly just arrived without major speculation. The first you knew of it was their appearance as a new signing in the Saturday first team, often announced in the morning copy of the Evening Standard, or Evening News football specials.

Comment

****inell! Don't say that! Makes me feel older than I look. And feel.
                                  My older bruv is 64 and remembers Vic Rouse very well.
                                  He was going up Selhurst when he was 5. Like me.

No offence but I'll take his word with regards our best keeper from the 50's/60's era.
                                  I can do loads more like the average age of a fan is 41 which means how many can recall us playing third tier football.....Ian Wrights grandchild played for Englands Under 16's.

Comment

Rouse was a solid player. Remember him playing in the first half of the Real Madrid match, but then bill glazier came on for the second half and was a much more spectacular player
                                    Always look on the bright side of life
                                    Dee do
                                    Dee do dee do dee do.

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
                                    Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!

Comment

Never saw Vic play for the Palace but met him a couple of times when he came back for reunions. A genuine and charming gentleman.

Comment

I remember him as a very good goalkeeper, especially at 4th Division level. From memory, he was eventually replaced by Bill Glazier following a 4-3 cup defeat at Aston Villa, where Vic was blamed for one or more of the goals.
                                        Sophia Loren, then in her 50's, talking to her mother, then in her 70's

Sophia: " Mama, when did you stop thinking about sex?"
                                        Sophia's mum: " You'd better ask your grandmother dear."

Comment