Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 28-11-2018, 10:52 PM

monkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Compatibility Question - PC

My Son has the following PC:
Leveno 4518AM5
i5-2500S CPU 2.70ghz
Nvidia Gt710

He wants to add the following;

Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 6GB
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

Would anyone know if these would be compatible? Or do I need to get more info regarding his PC?

Any help would be much appreciated as finding it all a bit confusing and donít want him to buy parts that are not going to work..

Thanks
Old 28-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here

The CPU would not be compatible. You will need a new motherboard with the correct socket for an AMD processor.

Quick google on the CPU. The I5 2500S uses an LGA1155 socket. The Ryzen 5 uses an AM4 socket.

You could upgrade the CPU to an intel i7 CPU which would be an significant upgrade if you got 8700k for example. Google LGA1155 CPU list.

The Nvidia 1060 will be compatible as all modern GPUís and motherboards utilise PCI-e sockets, however you need to ensure you power supply has enough wattage to support a more powerful and potentially power hungry graphics card.
Old 28-11-2018, 11:21 PM

monkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey nuts : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine

Thanks Joe
Old 28-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey nuts View Post
Thanks Joe

No worries, added a bit more info. HTH.
Old 28-11-2018, 11:33 PM

Ok great, thanks so much for your help.
Old 30-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
No worries, added a bit more info. HTH.
So I looked in to this a bit more, his motherboard is: Levono IS6XM
To view the link you have to Register or Login

His power supply is: ATX-500B (which is 500W)

So it seems the CPU upgrade would be ok but a question over the compatibility of the graphics card from "Nvidia GeForce GT710" to "Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 3GB" as somebody told me about BIOS versions??

Gone are the days when it was as easy as buying an Atari !!!
Old 30-11-2018, 03:06 PM

EaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The LGA 1155 platform is a good one as it is compatible with both Intel 2000 and 3000 processors. If you are going for a GTX 1060 I would suggest an i7 3770, they are relatively inexpensive. See the link below, CeX sells them for £85 and you could even trade in the 2500s to save even more. The i7 3770 is an extremely capable processor and will not bottleneck the 1060. The motherboards bios may need to be updated to support the new gen of processor but this isn't normally too hard, if you decide to go down this route I would be more than happy to do the research and write you a set of instructions.

With regards to the psu, I would say 500W would be enough for the GTX 1060 however the GT710 does not require dedicated PCI-e power connectors from the psu whereas the 1060 does and if it is the OEM psu I doubt it has them (I might be wrong but thats usually how they are set up). If you have decided on a particular 1060 just check the required power connectors, open up the case and see if the psu has them. If not you will need a new one. You can pick up a decent psu for around £50, do not buy a cheap knock off as they are very rarely capable of maintaining the advertised current on their 12V rails.

Overall I would say you don't need to get a new motherboard and processor, buying just the i7 3770 would do the job, I built a pc for a mate 6 months ago with very similar specs to what I am suggesting to you combined with the gtx 1060 and he can play all modern titles at 1080p on v. high to max settings.

Let me know if you want any help, I love this s*** so am happy to help

Last edited by EaglesSnapBack; 30-11-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 30-11-2018, 03:11 PM

EaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The other thing is I would suggest an aftermarket cooler for the cpu if you are going for an upgrade, the included intel ones are usually quite poor and you can pick up a coolermaster hyper 212 evo for around £25, they are commonly accepted as the best price/performance coolers you can buy and will handle the 3770 with no issue. Heat is the enemy of all PC components!
Old 30-11-2018, 03:13 PM

This would be a suitable PSU, good amount of power and connectors galore

Edit: I just looked, the 1060 you mentioned only requires 1 6-pin pci-e power connector so you might get away with it if the OEM PSU has one

Last edited by EaglesSnapBack; 30-11-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 30-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Hyper 212 Evo

Old 30-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Brilliant, thanks so much for your replies....
I will open the case and have a look at the PSU tonight when home.
I also read today that it is best to have at least PCI Express 2.0 whereas I dont think he has that looking at the motherboard expansion slot spec. Anyway, I will check it later.

Cheers