Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Pointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Over £1100 for what I want (12.9/256) Thatís about twice what I paid for my Air 2.

Thatís taking some getting used to.
Don't pay it then

Plenty of better tablets and 2in 1 devices out there.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Over £1100 for what I want (12.9/256) Thatís about twice what I paid for my Air 2.

Thatís taking some getting used to.
It's not justifiable if you ask me. I am getting less and less need for a tablet though. Anything for work or worky type home stuff a laptop is the answer and so basically i am then only really ever wanting a tablet for watching stuff on the go. No way can £1100 ever be justifiable for effectively a portable smart tv when there are so many other options at a fraction of that price that will fill that need. Also our macbook air is so thin and quick to boot i never bother to pick up the ipad anyway. Either use that or the phone.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointsforprizes View Post
Don't pay it then

Plenty of better tablets and 2in 1 devices out there.
I bought one of these for my son's school computer (well the version a year and a bit ago)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I must admit i regret it. The one we have is underpowered really (despite the test labs speed boasts compared to the surface equivalents), he never uses it as a tablet because a pc just doesn't make a good tablet. Even if it was more powerful and therefore a bit less of a pain in the arse. I am just not convinced i would go down the 2 in 1 route again. It sounds good in theory but just hasn't worked out that way in practice.

Kids watch their phones in my experience.

Last edited by scro; 02-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
It's not justifiable if you ask me. I am getting less and less need for a tablet though. Anything for work or worky type home stuff a laptop is the answer and so basically i am then only really ever wanting a tablet for watching stuff on the go. No way can £1100 ever be justifiable for effectively a portable smart tv when there are so many other options at a fraction of that price that will fill that need. Also our macbook air is so thin and quick to boot i never bother to pick up the ipad anyway. Either use that or the phone.
Fwiw I am the other way around. My MacBook Pro barely gets used and the iPad gets abused. This is mainly because I travel so much with work, taking a second laptop just fees like an arse whereas the iPad is much more portable.now they have made the larger iPad much smaller it becomes an option it wasnít before.

But still expensive.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Fwiw I am the other way around. My MacBook Pro barely gets used and the iPad gets abused. This is mainly because I travel so much with work, taking a second laptop just fees like an arse whereas the iPad is much more portable.now they have made the larger iPad much smaller it becomes an option it wasn’t before.

But still expensive.
But what do you do on it? Watch stuff, browse the web? I can't help feel it gets to the point with these things where you are basically driving a ferrari around the streets of calcutta.

Mind you I bought an underpowered machine for my lad and regretted it . However my experience of apple based os's is that they suffer far less frustrating sluggishness than windows machines if you go a bit cheap. I know you won't do it but i would be tempted just to get another apple refurbished air 2.

I've got little experience of other tablets. The kids have some cheap amazon ones which are fine for the £30-40 i paid for them but not really a worthy comparison. Do they (android) tend to slow like windows machines do in comparison to macs?
Old 02-11-2018, 02:42 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
My one complaint (I probably have more if I think harder) with the iPad is the screens inability to handle being readable out of doors, unless you really find deep shade.

My Kindle can be read in direct sunlight, and if I'm recharging it and have to read using the iPad all I get is a refection of me or the background behind me. Same problem when trying to watch a game out doors.

Still, I guess this is not what it is intended for, but still a little annoying/frustrating.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
But what do you do on it? Watch stuff, browse the web? I can't help feel it gets to the point with these things where you are basically driving a ferrari around the streets of calcutta.

Mind you I bought an underpowered machine for my lad and regretted it . However my experience of apple based os's is that they suffer far less frustrating sluggishness than windows machines if you go a bit cheap. I know you won't do it but i would be tempted just to get another apple refurbished air 2.

I've got little experience of other tablets. The kids have some cheap amazon ones which are fine for the £30-40 i paid for them but not really a worthy comparison. Do they (android) tend to slow like windows machines do in comparison to macs?
i like the analogy, and yeah there’s something in that. But the ecosystem in tablets particularly is so much better in iOS compared to Android. Google’s Slate, which if you want with a sensible amount of storage is £1500. Samsung’s offerings aren’t much cop and, ahem, I won’t be buying Chinese after my recent experiences.

The only real alternative is the surface. And if it were a work thing I was doing this for I would almost certainly be doing that, but it isn’t. An old air2 might be interesting though. Or simply a battery replacement in mine.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
i like the analogy, and yeah thereís something in that. But the ecosystem in tablets particularly is so much better in iOS compared to Android. Googleís Slate, which if you want with a sensible amount of storage is £1500. Samsungís offerings arenít much cop and, ahem, I wonít be buying Chinese after my recent experiences.

The only real alternative is the surface. And if it were a work thing I was doing this for I would almost certainly be doing that, but it isnít. An old air2 might be interesting though. Or simply a battery replacement in mine.
I found a tablet running windows just felt wrong. Perhaps partly because I have been conditioned to shutdown a lap top unlike the always on ipad. It wasn't only that though i just don't find it convenient in the same way.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Happy Felix Day!

I’m weak.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
#moremoneythansense

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
I wonít be buying Chinese after my recent experiences.
Wonder if you'll get the same knicker-shitting I got in response to this?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Wonder if you'll get the same knicker-shitting I got in response to this?
Post 4628 on the Android thread is definitely my favourite post on this topic. I actually laughed at loud.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 07-11-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Post 4628 on the Android thread is definitely my favourite post on this topic. I actually laughed at loud.
China Telecom outed again today for 'filtering' data packets by falsely advertising their servers as being based elsewhere.

For example, they broadcast to the internet that their nodes are in Atlanta, so internet traffic going from DC to Miami takes a detour via Beijing think it is a quick route via Georgia. Wonder how much sniffing is going on whilst it passed through the Middle Kingdom?

China Telecom claims it is an error and won't happen again. Same response as last time and the gazillion times they've been caught previously.

And they don't even need you to have a Chinese device to do these. They are brazenly stealing web traffic and exploiting trust loopholes in the internet's core design. Imagine what they are doing with their own devices and software.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Happy Felix Day!

One firm out there knew if you took a photo on a phone anywhere on their campus. Didn’t matter what network the phone was on. They knew. There is only one way that is possible.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Happy Felix Day!

As an aside, the new 12.9 iPad Pro is very nice indeed.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
One firm out there knew if you took a photo on a phone anywhere on their campus. Didn’t matter what network the phone was on. They knew. There is only one way that is possible.
Does that firm begin with a A or a G ?

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018

Last edited by Isle of Wight; 07-11-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
China Telecom outed again today for 'filtering' data packets by falsely advertising their servers as being based elsewhere.

For example, they broadcast to the internet that their nodes are in Atlanta, so internet traffic going from DC to Miami takes a detour via Beijing think it is a quick route via Georgia. Wonder how much sniffing is going on whilst it passed through the Middle Kingdom?

China Telecom claims it is an error and won't happen again. Same response as last time and the gazillion times they've been caught previously.

And they don't even need you to have a Chinese device to do these. They are brazenly stealing web traffic and exploiting trust loopholes in the internet's core design. Imagine what they are doing with their own devices and software.
Systems my company does can grab all the packets at line speed and analyse them in real time, so if there is something they are ďconcernedĒ about can capture all the packets in the conversation and reconstruct . Voice, video, email the lot. If however the data is encrypted you canít get to the payload, unless you have the key. You can still see who and what though. The amazing thing is that we give all sorts of stuff out to companies like google or faceache freely as they have the keys !

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018