Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Apple watch

Wot, no thread already ?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Have you got one? I'm not convinced this first generation of smart watches will be a hit, mainly because of battery life. People are gadget obsessed here but I never see anyone in the smart watch shop in Dubai Mall.
I travel a lot and as the work I do becomes more cloud and app based I can see the use long term. I do find it quite useful being able to access and answer all my phone notifications on my laptop (via pushbullet) and would quite like a safer way to interact with notifications or change the music while driving. Maybe the improving voice control will answer that question. Also useful to get runtastic data while running but you can do that with quite basic products. At this point i don't see myself wanting to wear a watch again with the functionality on offer and especially one that needs to be charged every day.
Long term I think these will be a winner - partly because phones are getting bigger
Old 10-03-2015, 09:39 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
Long term I think these will be a winner - partly because phones are getting bigger

Not convinced. I can see why people like Apple might thing they will take off because phones have become status symbols, much like wrist watches so there is, at least on the face of it, a certain logic.

But will people really want to talk into their watches ? Or use them for anything else other than telling the time ? A good wrist watch, beyond the sort of ghetto bling crap, is about something more than just wanting people to see how up to date you are. I listened to a watch maker being interviewed on Radio 4 yesterday, in relation to this subject, and he made the point that expensive wrist watches are about longevity and being passed down the generations. Surely the whole point about this technology one-up manship that people like Apple thrive on is that by this time in 12 months then this current model will be considered redundant ?

Nobody will be buying a 'smart watch' and thinking about passing it on to their kids.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Sure, it has to be a utilitarian device, not a piece of jewellery. Being Apple some people will buy it as a relatively cheap status symbol but as a category it will only take off if people develop enough useful things to do with them.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Have you got one?
I don't think they're out until next month, but they were launched yesterday. I've never been a watch snob - I have a rather slim, elegant, cheapish, Raymond Weil I bought on a BA flight about 20 years ago.

That said, I have a rather horrible feeling I will be bored in an airport duty free in a year or so's time and will buy the cheapest entry model, out of "Bloke-gizmo curiosity" - to go with my (first ever) iPhone that I bought three months ago (but have yet to set up an iTunes account or e-mail on ...).
Old 10-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Wasn't me

I use my phone to control my TV, stereo, media PC and can use if to dim the lighting in my house or the aircon. I can control my phone from my laptop. Now I can control my phone from my watch if i want to. I'm waiting for the iRing so I can control my watch without lifting up my sleeve. Frankly if my daughter puts Iggy Azzale on the quicker I can hit mute on the stereo the better.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Being Apple some people will buy it as a relatively cheap status symbol but as a category it will only take off if people develop enough useful things to do with them.
I'm not so sure that is right. I suspect owners will look like techno-geeks (and I mean that in the nicest possible sense, of course ...!) to anyone with a scintilla of class about them.

James, have you ordered yours yet ?

N.B. For the record, although I like to tease the techno-geeks of this world, I am forever in their debt because I usally prevail on their good nature (including James) to help me out with my ineptitude
Old 10-03-2015, 10:15 AM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
James, have you ordered yours yet ?
Is he not still in hiding after that Slaughters video from the 80s surfaced?

The sports aspects of the watch look quite cool, but not sure whether that of itself would be worth it, particularly when I already have a vivofit.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Wasn't me

The single use sports watch do seem to do that better at the moment. They could be useful for tracking special needs children who run off via GPS (looked into this but special needs child in question would rip off a watch). They could be useful for tracking health statistics on old people or the medical unwell. James is getting on a bit now isn't he?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:24 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
38 models? seriously?

SaulAlinsky
Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
It's not for me.

I find myself in an almost identical place to Richard (except I didn't buy mine on the plane and it was probably only ten years ago)
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:27 AM

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
The single use sports watch do seem to do that better at the moment. They could be useful for tracking special needs children who run off via GPS (looked into this but special needs child in question would rip off a watch). They could be useful for tracking health statistics on old people or the medical unwell. James is getting on a bit now isn't he?
I suppose the integration of that with comms is nice, but I won't be getting one any time soon. I'll have an interested look at my brother's though. He's a gadget whore with a borderline direct debit to Tim Cook, so will be sure to get one.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Out of interest, what is a "borderline direct debit" ?

A typo, perhaps ?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Out of interest, what is a "borderline direct debit" ?

A typo, perhaps ?
He spends a shit-ton of cash on stuff he doesn't need, basically.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Wasn't me

Doesn't have kids then? So he can spend a shit-ton of cash on stuff other people don't need.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Doesn't have kids then? So he can spend a shit-ton of cash on stuff other people don't need.
children's entertainment chez Oisin

The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Wearable technology that can't be worn swimming or even at night is rather limiting for anyone wanting to use the watch for health monitoring.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Pretty much!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Before you pipe up, Dicky, that's another colloquialism meaning 'No, as at the time of writing, he has no children, biological or adopted, or any other form of direct dependent.'