Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
children's entertainment chez Oisin
And they are grateful! (Not that I know as I outsource all child care to a small Fillipina).
Old 10-03-2015, 12:01 PM

mystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have a G Watch R - have had it for a few months now. I needed a watch and do love a gadget so went for it. It does some cool stuff but it is a watch for me first and foremost. The iWatch I feel is just too pricey. Mine was over £200 and that did nearly put me off but that is pretty much the price of a standard watch so that's how I talked myself into it.
Palace finish 11th
Brighton finish 18th
Old 10-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ugly as sin. The modern day equivalent of those Casio calculator watches of yesteryear. Surely producing something aesthetically pleasing should have been high up the list of requirements for any watch designer, "Smartwatch" or not...
Old 10-03-2015, 04:26 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A watch is a fashion item for me, and none of these smart watches have even come close to making me want to replace my watches.

Apple has stopped innovating... I keep thinking their success can only last so long, but considering so many people have bought into their 'ecosystem' it is hard now to escape their grasp.

Thought the new MacBook was good for weight and the new USB type C (although only one port?!). BUT the price of the MacBook is an absolute joke... (whilst I appreciate their hardware - I would never consider using Apple's software anyway)

Last edited by The Omen; 08-04-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
The battery life stats are also quite misleading.

You get 3 hours if you use it for phone calls, for example.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:35 PM

justjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is herejustjuice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
Apple has stopped innovating... I keep thinking there success can only last so long
This watch has made me think the same.

Other companies have beaten them to it - Apple will probably end up taking them to court even though they are a year behind everyone. They spend more on legal costs than they do on R&D and it shows now. They have run out of ideas.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Keeping the peace

Goldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Saw on CNN last night that the base price is $349 and typically the UK price being £299. Can't see them selling the 20 million units Apple predict by the end of the tear.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:58 PM

mystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemystery_man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'm not sure what the iWatch offers that the Android Wear watches don't to be honest. Apart from the ecosystem. Mine needs to be paired with a phone and connected at all times and gives all the notifications, navigation, remote camera operation, and all the fitness tracking gubbins like heart rate monitor. The iWatch seems to have built in GPS but why if it needs to be paired with a phone that also has GPS, surely that's just a battery drain and as we know anything less than a day is unusable.
Palace finish 11th
Brighton finish 18th
Old 10-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Keeping the peace

Goldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGoldberg Basher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
18 hour max battery.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:32 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg Basher View Post
18 hour max battery.
And that is the company spin on battery life... what will the reality be?

I have heard you get around 5 hours from quite heavy use of the watch... which kind of makes it pointless.

It is still a problem with phones in terms of battery life. We all accept charging every night when not that long ago, we used to only charge our mobile phones once a week - but obviously they do a lot more now so that is the trade off.

However, will people accept also charging their watch when their phone does everything it can do and a standard watch is able to tell the time for 24 hours a day...
Old 10-03-2015, 05:36 PM
'or 0=0'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjuice View Post
This watch has made me think the same.

Other companies have beaten them to it - Apple will probably end up taking them to court even though they are a year behind everyone. They spend more on legal costs than they do on R&D and it shows now. They have run out of ideas.
I was saying Apple was on the decline over twelve months ago and then this happened this year, so what do I know?!
To view the link you have to Register or Login

From what I can gather, quite a few Apple users seem tied to buying Apple now having bought into their ecosystem of iTunes and apps and feel they can't change now. It is the main reason why I can't stand Apple - it is a backwards step producing software that can only be used on a device produced by a single company. We should be way past that kind of development by now - it is dated way of thinking and developing.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Another take on the wareable

Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
children's entertainment chez Oisin

I have a couple of those.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:04 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
My first thought when seeing it was, "How the **** would I be able to see/read anything on the screen?"

As someone that can't go anywhere without his reading glasses, I'm at about my limit without glasses reading an iPhone.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:10 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
Another take on the wareable

They'll sell quite a few of those at Old Trafford
Old 11-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Wasn't me

Could have called it the iWank
Old 11-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
- Agree that battery remains a critical constraint. Surprised this hasn't been nailed by now.
- nothing obviously exciting about this which is disappointing after all of this time
- Power of brand is that Apple have world attention and yet Sony are on version 3 having had one for years. Probably will be credited with inventing the phone. Weird but powerful.
- despite this the Apple halo is slipping but the business will be sustained due to China
- proprietary ecosystem remains a tragedy
- nothing Apple has ever launched has worked well until at least version 3 or later.
- ooh and they invented white apparently.

Sadly a poor showing by Apple may kill the 'smart-watch' market despite the momentum created by Pebble, Sony and the fitness firms. I do think the health monitoring will survive this though and the smart fitness bands will tell the time.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Exiled in the North

CPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC_R_GREAT : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I have a couple of those.
One man, two cups?

Xbox - FlatDan3
Old 12-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Just noticed the iWatch feature that could be used to open your hotel room. It's not stupid altogether is it but surely this isn't one of the first things you would mention to promote it. It has to be things that make sense for you to buy an iWatch. You are unlikely to go to your room without your phone though and so its surely missing the mark. Would I think - oooh I will buy one now - don't think so.

I do think the health monitoring of the smart wearables is one that will win through. I do sense a growing concern re health from the fit who love to measure it to feel good through to those that fear they should monitor because they aren't so fit. That plus the text/email/notifications on your wrist instead of taking out your phone seem to be the key. I don't think Apple have nailed the health ones and from a design perspective it is definitely in the MEH category. They will sell a load on day one because they do but it will be interesting to see what else sells in the following months.

Apple's only other remaining card is that historically it has made integration of experience seamless. If they can stretch apps out into the watch usefully then cool but I suspect this wrests more on the developer than them and not sure what their incentive is really. Let's see what happens. There is one more card and that is a bottomless pit of marketing spend that could see us pounded to death until we buy one but that won't drive up usage and repurchases.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
I ended up getting a Moto 360 watch as a birthday present.

I like it. I like how it's integrated with Google Now, voice integration and it's gradually getting more support from apps, too. It also looks smart