Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
Irvine scored but it wasn't a free kick

Cheers. Seem to remember him scoring a great free kick around that time. Must be another game.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
I know it was bloody freezing, nice goal though
Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Unbannable

Raggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is here
I was on the Holmesdale. Irvine struck it low and hard from outside the box - great goal, great day.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:42 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
I was on the Holmesdale. Irvine struck it low and hard from outside the box - great goal, great day.
My memory is he lashed it high in to the net after going clean through. He would have been just inside the area before he struck the ball. Emphatic finish.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Probably the coldest game I've ever stood/sat through. Such a shame because it kind of took the enjoyment away from what was probably our biggest glamour result for about 7 years. The League Cup 2-2 draw the year before against Forest was probably more exciting though.

The FA Cup 4th Round saw us trundle over the river to White Hart Lane - crammed and dangerously rammed as we were pre Hillsborough - and watched us taken apart by probably the best Spurs side in 50 years.

Our successes and moments in the sunlight in those days were so few and far between. Seriously, you could count on one hand the games that we made headlines in between 81-87. Some disgruntled BBSers today would've been reaching for the rope and chair if they had to endure that.

All I can think of in terms of real eye catching, newsworthy results from those years was:

3-1 home win against top of the table Newcastle

Beating Sheff W 1-0 at home and stopping their amazing unbeaten run that stretched from the start of the season to the end of November

A home FA Cup win against Div 1 strugglers Leicester

And unless I've forgotten - that was that in about 7 years. Thing is - I really enjoyed those days
Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
You've forgotten the draw at home to West Ham in the Cup! Around 1983 - and avoiding relegation to div 3 against Burnley.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Payroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is here
I was in the Arthur enclosure that day. Pitch was frozen solid.

Clough said something along the lines of the conditions were a leveller but that was no excuse.

We deserved the win as I remember
Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
It was bollock freezing.
I think the signing of Mark Bright was announced in the programme. First player we'd spent actual money on in aeons.
Someone had told me that if you cut tin foil to the shape of your feet and used it as an insole, it provided efficient isolation and kept your feet warm (I was standing on the Whitehorse). It sort of worked.
Supporters money
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Yes..... well all the money was supporters' money, back then. Didn't Lifeline have some sort of gambling element to it, as well?
Also, how had we signed Gary O'Reilly? There must have been some sort of fee involved, there?
Old 12-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
Snow, frozen Holmesdale, orange ball, good Forest side, Irvine rifling home from an angle. Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
He isnt top class mate

He is a limited player who scores goals with his head
Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 12-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes..... well all the money was supporters' money, back then. Didn't Lifeline have some sort of gambling element to it, as well?
Also, how had we signed Gary O'Reilly? There must have been some sort of fee involved, there?
£60k from recollection. I was one of the original Lifeline members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
He isnt top class mate

He is a limited player who scores goals with his head
Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 12-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Hello Dave!

Location: The Pandemonium Carnival, Coming to a town near you...soon!
Edenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEdenbridge Eagle In Exile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
I feel so old
^^^^^^^ This.... Alan Irvine Down the Wing!!!! Magic stuff 30 years ...... Wow!!! We lost to Spurs in the Next Round ... Bloody Clive Allen.... Scariest time I ever had on terracing (Crushing) as they only opened a couple of Pens in the away end not expecting the massive hordes from South of the River!!!! Seem to remember they had to open some more pens when people were climbing over the fences to get out of the Crush!!!

Last edited by Edenbridge Eagle In Exile; 12-01-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Lingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember that well. Gave up going after the Noades/Gradi takeover and although I went a few times I could never really get back into it. Then my Dad suggested going to the Forest game as Coppell had been doing well, great afternoons entertainment, went to the Spurs cup game in the next round and have never looked back since.
Old 13-01-2017, 04:24 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
You've forgotten the draw at home to West Ham in the Cup! Around 1983 - and avoiding relegation to div 3 against Burnley.
I know, but as memorable as they were, couldn't really call a draw and a home win against a team third from bottom in Div 2 headline grabbers. That West Ham game was gutting wasn't it? Swindlehurst - of all people - equalising at the death after a pinball style action in front of our goal.

Re. Burnley: great night, but still amazes me how we've avoided relegation to the 3rd tier considering all the times we've flirted with it. A lot of bigger clubs than us have been unable to prevent that drop in recent years. We've now plyed our trade for 40 consecutive years in the top 2 tiers. Think I'm right in saying only 10 other clubs can boast that since 1977.

Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, Everton, Ipswich, Villa and Newcastle.

However, we're the only club out of that list without a major honour to our name
Old 13-01-2017, 02:24 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Re. Burnley: great night, but still amazes me how we've avoided relegation to the 3rd tier considering all the times we've flirted with it.
Quite how we managed to stay up in 1984 (Mullery's last season) I'll never know. That was a truly poor team. Looking at the table we were probably saved by Swansea and particularly Cambridge both having catastrophically shite seasons and finishing with less than 30 points.

Derby County, League champions just 9 seasons previously went down in the last relegation spot. When they wanted to be, the following year's team in Coppell's first season could be even worse but survived quite comfortably underlining how luck plays into it. Far far better teams than those have dropped out of the top 2 divisions over that period.
Old 13-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Groundhopper

WestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
My memory is he lashed it high in to the net after going clean through. He would have been just inside the area before he struck the ball. Emphatic finish.

That's how I remember it as well, he drifted in from out on the right, near the Old Stand side, then struck it high into the roof the net from about 20 yards.

I was in the New Stand enclosure.

Funny how I can remember that, yet little from recent years, age thing I guess! lol.
Hop till you drop!
Old 13-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Quite how we managed to stay up in 1984 (Mullery's last season) I'll never know. That was a truly poor team. Looking at the table we were probably saved by Swansea and particularly Cambridge both having catastrophically shite seasons and finishing with less than 30 points.

Derby County, League champions just 9 seasons previously went down in the last relegation spot. When they wanted to be, the following year's team in Coppell's first season could be even worse but survived quite comfortably underlining how luck plays into it. Far far better teams than those have dropped out of the top 2 divisions over that period.
Yep and god bless Ian Edwards What happened to him?
Old 13-01-2017, 08:46 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here

Not what happened to him strictly speaking; maybe a glimpse of what might have been.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:52 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Global warming or not, we just don't seem to get weather as cold as that now. How the game went ahead I don't know. Getting a snap of the goal was a miracle in the circumstances.

I just remember getting a few minutes out of the camera batteries before they would collapse due to the cold weather - something I had never encountered before. The batteries had to be removed and placed inside clothing to warm up again. Meanwhile, warmed replacements had to be re-inserted. That was 12 AAs in the motordrive and a further cell in the camera body – a time consuming task at any time but far more difficult with frozen hands.

In the end we gave up on the motor drives, changing the batteries was just too time consuming.

Fortunately, Alan Irvine scored during one of the periods when the camera was operating, but still only just avoided cutting his head off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-8 CP v Nottm Forest.jpg (143.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 15-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Great shot Neil!

These days they'd just call a game like that off on the grounds of dangerous frozen roads outside the ground!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013