Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
30 years ago today; 11 January 1987

That snowy FA Cup 3rd round win over Nottingham Forest. An Alan Irvine goal (using a brown ball) giving us a thoroughly deserved 1-0 victory. 11000+ crowd. I always think of this game as a real marker on the road back from the hideous Mullery years to getting back to the old Div 1 a couple of years later. Anyone else have memories of the day?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Always late for kick-off

3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Can still picture my younger brother and I playing in the back garden and remember the excitement when the old man shouted out of the back door that the game was on, despite the fact we were knee deep in snow.

The orange(?) ball on the white surface and a win, wearing the sash kit, don't remember much else.

30 years on and that excitement has sadly died.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Remember it well thinking on the way to the ground that the match wouldn't go ahead. Also couldn't believe we beat a very good Forest team
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Beers at HT View Post
Can still picture my younger brother and I playing in the back garden and remember the excitement when the old man shouted out of the back door that the game was on, despite the fact we were knee deep in snow.

The orange(?) ball on the white surface and a win, wearing the sash kit, don't remember much else.

30 years on and that excitement has sadly died.
It was orange. Very exciting fixture and result at the time. Think it was on a Sunday which was rare in those days?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:04 PM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
God 30 years ago. Great action shot in next programme by Mr Cad of the goal on the icey pitch.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
Yep, Orange ball. Memory fails me. Conditions were treacherous. My car skidded off the road and up the kerb in Belmont on the way to the game. Fortunately didn't hit anyone or anything.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Born in South London

Pinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is here
I was stood freezing on the Sainsbury's terrace, Forest were top of Division 1 at the time I think. Great day.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Remember seeing the teams and several Forest players had gloves on (Johnny Metgod's were even sheepskin!), a couple including Franz Carr were wearing tights and not a single Palace player had anything similar on. You just knew they didn't fancy it. It was very odd as you used to hear stories about Cloughie making his players run through nettles to toughen them up. To be fair, it was absolutely freezing.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Sodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is here
My first ever game on my own at the age of 14, freezing my arse off on the Holmesdale. Loved it.

Was also my first game since 1981.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
My brother gave me and my mate a lift to the game - first time he'd ever driven in the snow. No idea why he didn't actually go to the match too (he is a Palace fan).

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I set off from Kent but the snow in the country lane was so intense I had to give up before getting to the A20.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:36 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Andy Gray was awesome that day
Old 11-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
It was bollock freezing.
I think the signing of Mark Bright was announced in the programme. First player we'd spent actual money on in aeons.
Someone had told me that if you cut tin foil to the shape of your feet and used it as an insole, it provided efficient isolation and kept your feet warm (I was standing on the Whitehorse). It sort of worked.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Biggish crowd for us at that time, though I had been hooked back in for a couple of years by then.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Had to walk from Beckenham to Selhurst as no buses seemed to be running that day.

Free kick wasn't it from Irvine ?
Old 11-01-2017, 05:27 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Someone had told me that if you cut tin foil to the shape of your feet and used it as an insole, it provided efficient isolation and kept your feet warm (I was standing on the Whitehorse). It sort of worked.
You'd have been far better off wrapping your feet in the stuff rather than fashioning some sci-fi looking odour eaters. Aluminium is a very poor conductor of heat hence the capes handed out to marathon runners and people rescued from disasters that make them look like an extra from a particularly low budget episode of Dr Who in the 70s.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
Had to walk from Beckenham to Selhurst as no buses seemed to be running that day.

Free kick wasn't it from Irvine ?
Irvine scored but it wasn't a free kick
Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
It was bollock freezing.
I think the signing of Mark Bright was announced in the programme. First player we'd spent actual money on in aeons.
Yes, forgot Brighty was on loan to start with. Didn't we (fans) raise the dough (or some of it) for the fee?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Vikings No 6

Think we did from Lifeline
Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
I feel so old