Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
I can't remember seeing play for Palace more than two or three times. I'd be interested to know from anyone who has either seen him play recently or is able to offer an objective view as to how good he is now? Is he premiership standard ? Would he make a good Championship player or are we talking somewhere below that?
He only ever played 5 times for us, twice starting and three off the bench. A grand total of 203 minutes in a Palace shirt so that's equivalent to two whole games and about 23 minutes.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesmad123 View Post
I think your over thinking things. He was a lad who played a handful of games for the first team. He was hardly Zidane or Beckham. Maybe its time people moved on. Why is this to some a massive part of CPFC history. Over 10 years on people are still angry. Have you ever moved jobs or changed career for more money. John is a top bloke and does not deserve the hate some people give him.
I think his story remains relevant today, just as much as it was then, because it brings into question a key reason for running an academy. Why spend millions developing local talent if a club like Spurs can hoover them up with no, or little, recompense to us?

That issue still hasn’t been resolved properly and the coaches must fear young talent ‘doing a Bostock’ every summer.

I’d be surprised if we ever risk playing a 15 year old in the first team again, not least because if he does so well that the media are all over him, history might well be repeated. We now have to keep young talent more under wraps until they are old enough to sign the forms that tie them to us, or at least ensure a half decent fee.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:40 PM

All the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsAll the 9's is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdrifts
Saw his debut and thought , with the possible exception of Kenny Sansom, thought it was the best debut from a youngster ever at the club. He was real class. Seemed to have a couple of seconds to spare when he got the ball - the sign of a really good player.Unfortunately only a couple of the Palace players were on the same wavelength and so some of his passing wasn't picked up.
Absolutely gutted when he left , as I thought we have got the central midfield sorted for a few years.
Thought the interview was really great and he came across as genuine.
Know fans were ready to boo him when he was a sub for Hull a few years back and some did boo a guy when he came on , thinking it was Bostock.
Hope he gets a good positive reception when he plays in the pre-season friendly. No booing. What happened, happened. He deserves to be treated with respect - and he clearly is a real Palace fan.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Littlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLittlecaesar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I think his story remains relevant today, just as much as it was then, because it brings into question a key reason for running an academy. Why spend millions developing local talent if a club like Spurs can hoover them up with no, or little, recompense to us?

That issue still hasn’t been resolved properly and the coaches must fear young talent ‘doing a Bostock’ every summer.

I’d be surprised if we ever risk playing a 15 year old in the first team again, not least because if he does so well that the media are all over him, history might well be repeated. We now have to keep young talent more under wraps until they are old enough to sign the forms that tie them to us, or at least ensure a half decent fee.
It also led to players like Reise Allassani being offered long contracts for decent money to ward off interest, only for them to be released or sold for next to nothing.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Really good interview.

What went wrong for him in Turkey? He doesn't seem to stay anywhere for very long...
Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
What went wrong for him in Turkey? He doesn't seem to stay anywhere for very long...
Not being paid probably didn't help.
Old 13-07-2018, 11:47 AM

ChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
As i said before, I think Micky Hazard was probably very instrumental in Bostock’s family’s decision. IIRC, Hazard left our academy coaching set up under a cloud and acrimony with Simon Jordan. No doubt the advice he gave to the Bostock’s was also in part motivated by the fact he’d be helping take Simon Jordan’s ‘crown jewel’ away from him. The fact that it was Hazard’s old stomping ground that Bostock was taken away to is all too much of a coincidence for me. I believe Arsenal and Chelsea both thought they were in with a chance of securing Bostock, but ended up at Spurs.
I did ask about Micky Hazard (it was over an hour of chat cut down to 20 mins) but he said he had nothing to do with the decision, it's just a coincidence that he used to play for Spurs. So wasn't key to the story in the end. Will put it all out as a podcast soon.
Old 13-07-2018, 11:50 AM

ChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChrisOnMyFace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
The club recieved £700k for him which probably returned the investment and a little bit more even though we were robbed.
Under current rules, because we're a Cat 2 academy I think we would've only got £159k for him.
Old 13-07-2018, 11:59 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOnMyFace View Post
I did ask about Micky Hazard (it was over an hour of chat cut down to 20 mins) but he said he had nothing to do with the decision, it's just a coincidence that he used to play for Spurs. So wasn't key to the story in the end. Will put it all out as a podcast soon.
Interesting to learn this, but I would point out that I have heard Hazard’s take on JB moving to Tottenham and he said it was 100% the right decision because of Tottenham’s superior coaching staff, facilities etc.

What was patently obvious at the time was that Bostock would have been in the Palace 1st team as a regular within a year or two of his debut, but was at least fourth or fifth choice for any chance of breaking through at Tottenham, so a loan back to the Championship or lower was his only way of gaining 1st team football - exaxtly what happened with his loans to Brentford, Hull, Sheff Weds and Swindon - Hazard has been shown up as a fraud as far as I’m concerned.
Old 13-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
Interesting to learn this, but I would point out that I have heard Hazard’s take on JB moving to Tottenham and he said it was 100% the right decision because of Tottenham’s superior coaching staff, facilities etc.

What was patently obvious at the time was that Bostock would have been in the Palace 1st team as a regular within a year or two of his debut, but was at least fourth or fifth choice for any chance of breaking through at Tottenham, so a loan back to the Championship or lower was his only way of gaining 1st team football - exaxtly what happened with his loans to Brentford, Hull, Sheff Weds and Swindon - Hazard has been shown up as a fraud as far as I’m concerned.
Well said, 1st team football is ultimately more important than having access to the best facilities and coaches. That has been shown to be the true in numerous cases, playing competitive football conditions a player in a way that is impossible to replicate on the training ground.
Old 13-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Fishy McFishface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
If Bostock is lying about Hazard's involvement in his exit from Palace then what else is he lying about in his humble, honest and open interview? Something doesn't add up.
Old 14-07-2018, 02:10 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOnMyFace View Post
Interesting stuff. Look forward to hearing the extended version on podcast. Btw, superb interview. Was a real joy to watch and cleared up so much. Well done - as usual!

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 14-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
If Bostock is lying about Hazard's involvement in his exit from Palace then what else is he lying about in his humble, honest and open interview? Something doesn't add up.
He wasn't necessarily lying about Hazard. Hazard was the insider-breaking-his-Palace-contract by putting Spurs in contact with his agent/step father, and 'greasing the wheels'. I seem to recall Hazard even bragging about it after he had left Palace. Bostock may have known nothing about the sleazy stuff behind his move.
Old 14-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Fishy McFishface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Empire View Post
He wasn't necessarily lying about Hazard. Hazard was the insider-breaking-his-Palace-contract by putting Spurs in contact with his agent/step father, and 'greasing the wheels'. I seem to recall Hazard even bragging about it after he had left Palace. Bostock may have known nothing about the sleazy stuff behind his move.
Then you'd think that he would be all too aware of something so fundamental and important in defining the rest of his life and career so far? It all seems far too convenient and puts into doubt the credibility of what is coming out of his mouth. Yet another PR stunt from the boy who screwed up.
Old 14-07-2018, 06:27 PM

Eaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
In another 10 years are we still going to be discussing Bostock.
Old 14-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
Then you'd think that he would be all too aware of something so fundamental and important in defining the rest of his life and career so far? It all seems far too convenient and puts into doubt the credibility of what is coming out of his mouth. Yet another PR stunt from the boy who screwed up.
He was just a boy, he relied on others to deal with stuff like that
Old 14-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Fishy McFishface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
He was just a boy, he relied on others to deal with stuff like that
Yeah I get it. I'm not going to flog a dead horse on this one - the point is that he is not a boy now and has had 11 years to think about what went wrong. Indeed, he has decided at the age of 26 to give a 'clear the air' it's OK John, all-is-forgiven interview and yet is still covering up the involvement of Hazard.

It makes me wonder how much else of the story he tells are lies or at best conveniently glossed over and forgotten truths. To me he lives in a fantasy world where God rescues him from car crashes, and watches over his little sunbeam while he travels from club to club trying to be the successful footballer that it is unlikely he will ever be.

The whole thing is irrelevant as it is clear that he is in no way good enough for Palace- - his average goal rate is about 2 a year across the 11 lowly clubs that he has been with since leaving us. I suspect that if he were good enough then he would be plying his trade at another outfit anyway, rather than toadying around us.

I feel sorry for the catalogue of youth and academy players who have had promising careers ended at the last hurdle by no fault of their own through injury, rather than those who had it all on a plate and walked away from it through choice, regardless of how naïve he might claim to have been.

Last edited by A Wooden Fish On Wheels; 14-07-2018 at 07:05 PM.