Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 17-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Bring Back Elgin

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
As an aside - Golf as a sport seriously needs to take a look at itself when blatant cheating like that incurs a 2 shot penalty, and silly things like forgetting to sign your card is a DQ.
Yes, good point
Old 17-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think that it’s down to interpretation. I can’t see why he wasn’t DQ’d, other than the fact he is Phil Mickelson:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
You see I can.

Technical but the thing that save him is that he made a stroke at the ball with the intention of striking it. We saw the outcome - the intention was proved by him striking the ball. Because of this it's covered under rule 14-5 - Playing a Moving Ball.

Had he not have played the stroke then its intentionally stopping or deflecting the ball which falls under Rule 1-2 - Exerting influence on the movement of the Ball or altering Physical Conditions. This is the rule with the disqualification sanction but can't be applied if the action is covered under another rule (the bit that Sky overlooked)

Even if you could apply 1-2, (and the rules aren't brilliantly drafted) disqualification is the last resort if the player has gained a significant advantage. Did Mickleson really gain a significant advantage? If not then the sanction is 2 shots so you're in the same place.

So -as the USGA rules bloke said - it was a situation covered under a rule and we applied the rule. So, although it was a dumb thing to do arbitrary disqualification wouldn't be the correct application - ergo a withchhunt
Old 17-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Quote:
As an aside - Golf as a sport seriously needs to take a look at itself when blatant cheating like that incurs a 2 shot penalty, and silly things like forgetting to sign your card is a DQ.
They really are due an overhaul
Old 17-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Shake it Baby

LLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Same for everyone. Only PM embarrassed himself

Iíd say the USGA are embarrassing themselves with this set up
Old 17-06-2018, 04:02 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Just saw the post round interview with PM. Definitely tap dancing, and hard over on the "taking the 2 shot penalty" without ever a mention of the fact it should have been a DQ.

I've always been OK with PM, but I've lost a lot of respect for him over this. What he did was disrespectful to golf and his fellow professionals. As others have said, he may have set a precedent here.

I assume he knew he was out of the reckoning and let his frustration rule his head. No excuse though.
Old 17-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Stinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
You see I can.

Technical but the thing that save him is that he made a stroke at the ball with the intention of striking it. We saw the outcome - the intention was proved by him striking the ball. Because of this it's covered under rule 14-5 - Playing a Moving Ball.

Had he not have played the stroke then its intentionally stopping or deflecting the ball which falls under Rule 1-2 - Exerting influence on the movement of the Ball or altering Physical Conditions. This is the rule with the disqualification sanction but can't be applied if the action is covered under another rule (the bit that Sky overlooked)

Even if you could apply 1-2, (and the rules aren't brilliantly drafted) disqualification is the last resort if the player has gained a significant advantage. Did Mickleson really gain a significant advantage? If not then the sanction is 2 shots so you're in the same place.

So -as the USGA rules bloke said - it was a situation covered under a rule and we applied the rule. So, although it was a dumb thing to do arbitrary disqualification wouldn't be the correct application - ergo a withchhunt
I actually think this sets a dangerous precedent. If you can do what Mickelson did then its a slippery slope. What next? If my ball is buried in bush and I don't have a swing, don't want to go back to where I played from because its deep rough and I can't take 2 club lengths, I can clear out a path for my swing in a bush therefore improving my lie and just take the 2 shot penalty. Ridiculous, he should of been DQ'd.
Old 17-06-2018, 05:04 PM

Stinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStinger1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Just saw the post round interview with PM. Definitely tap dancing, and hard over on the "taking the 2 shot penalty" without ever a mention of the fact it should have been a DQ.

I've always been OK with PM, but I've lost a lot of respect for him over this. What he did was disrespectful to golf and his fellow professionals. As others have said, he may have set a precedent here.

I assume he knew he was out of the reckoning and let his frustration rule his head. No excuse though.
I actually don't believe his excuse. I think he did it at the time in the heat of the moment to make a point out of how ridiculous the setup was and then bottle it and decided not to criticise the USGA.
Old 17-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Regretting my username...

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
Tommy Fleetwood you beautiful bastard!

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Old 17-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Again with regards to if this is a good tournament or not... the current top 4 are DJ, Reed, Koepka and Fleetwood. These are guys who are all on top of their game, so this isn’t some sort of bad or good luck course.

The other thing is that like them or not, the USGA openly say that they want the winner to finish on level par. This tournament looks like that will probably happen.
Old 17-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Shake it Baby

LLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is here
Remarkable final round from Fleetwood
Old 17-06-2018, 08:03 PM

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
Had Finau EW at 70/1 but he's doing his best to **** things up

Old 17-06-2018, 08:44 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Spectators are challenging
Old 17-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Shake it Baby

Challenging is one word for them ....
Old 17-06-2018, 09:08 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Mickelson hit that moving ball yesterday as he didn’t want to look stupid but some of us remember them shirts
Old 17-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I reckon fleetwood has got this or will at least be in a play-off. I cannot see Koepka not dropping a shot.
Old 17-06-2018, 09:19 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Not sure if you are getting the US TV feed there, but over here this is the first time I believe Fox have had the tournament.

I have to say the sound is horrible. The background noise is horrendous. I'm sure it's not that bad on the course.

Never heard it this bad before watching golf on TV.
Old 17-06-2018, 09:24 PM
moving forward

Did someone just shout ‘Clem Fandango’?
Old 17-06-2018, 09:36 PM

I think I just heard someone shout "fried eggs over easy". I'm done.

Old 17-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Safe European Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
I actually think this sets a dangerous precedent. If you can do what Mickelson did then its a slippery slope. What next? If my ball is buried in bush and I don't have a swing, don't want to go back to where I played from because its deep rough and I can't take 2 club lengths, I can clear out a path for my swing in a bush therefore improving my lie and just take the 2 shot penalty. Ridiculous, he should of been DQ'd.

How do you set a precedent by enforcing a rule? If the offence is covered in the rule thatís it. A precedent would be set if the rule isnít enforced. There are also rules around unplayable lies. Same applies.

Point about rules is that they are standards to apply to all. If you depart from them because somebody has made you jolly cross then you may as well suspend the entire rulebook.

Its also why there is an independent rules committee for tournaments.

The alternative is to change the rules.
Old 17-06-2018, 09:48 PM
The Spiky One

I wish that helicopter would piss off!