Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 17-01-2018, 06:27 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Parish jogged my memory on the fact that Paul Pogba played for Man U in our famous cup win in 2011 when Ambrose scored that screamer. I’d totally forgot. Had a look at the teams from that day and noticed a certain Zeki Fryers played against us too that day.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 17-01-2018, 08:17 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
When anything you say can be quoted, you have to be.
I guess so but he comes across as a man wearing a tin hat a little too much for me. Proving the loud mouthed fools have too much of a say these days.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Official Sponsor - oh :(

Barbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarbara4003 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCPFC View Post
I didn't realise when buying the Club that Steve P he had a bad accident in a race or that when first meeting Steve B it was in one of his offices and didn't realise what the business was.

I remember watching that race on TV and seeing his accident. It looked really bad. Fortunately for everyone, he was OK, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:37 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
I liked the part of the interview with SP and SB where Kevin Day started to reel off what potential services for the local community Selhurst Park could offer such as Citizens Advice and social and medical facilities etc - you could almost sense Steve P recoiling in horror and he started to mention he didn’t want so many things that it became umanageable - I would guess SP was thinking more along the lines of the types of services that would produce revenue streams.

I don’t think Selhurst Park would be a great community centre though, even though it is a laudable idea, I live in Thornton Heath and I would have said Selhurst Park is too far out for most people in that area, either Thornton Heath High Street or London Road/Brigstock are more accesable, similarly if you live in South Norwood, Portland Road or South Norwood High Street are easier to get too as Selhurst Park is a bit out on a limb?

As a bit of an anorak regarding Palace history, it was funny to hear Kevin Day and the two Steves make several mistakes regarding the old Crystal Palace football club (1861-1876), where Kev claimed it was disbanded by the FA because it was being used for the FA Cup Finals - the first Final took place at Crystal Palace Park in 1895, nearly twenty years after the original Palace club stopped playing, the club simply stopped playing football (it was primarily a cricket club with fixtures dating back as far as 1853 and into the 1890s, but after 1876, playing football in Crystal Palace Park became an issue with the owners of the Park.

Also the Glaziers nickname was purely just that, a nickname, it was never used for the orignal 1861 club, there is no evidence that any of the players actually worked at the Palace, it was a group of sportsmen that played cricket in the summer and football in the winter and lived in Norwood and Thornton Heath so the Crystal Palace Park was an ideal location.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:54 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
I liked the part of the interview with SP and SB where Kevin Day started to reel off what potential services for the local community Selhurst Park could offer such as Citizens Advice and social and medical facilities etc - you could almost sense Steve P recoiling in horror and he started to mention he didn’t want so many things that it became umanageable - I would guess SP was thinking more along the lines of the types of services that would produce revenue streams.

I don’t think Selhurst Park would be a great community centre though, even though it is a laudable idea, I live in Thornton Heath and I would have said Selhurst Park is too far out for most people in that area, either Thornton Heath High Street or London Road/Brigstock are more accesable, similarly if you live in South Norwood, Portland Road or South Norwood High Street are easier to get too as Selhurst Park is a bit out on a limb?

As a bit of an anorak regarding Palace history, it was funny to hear Kevin Day and the two Steves make several mistakes regarding the old Crystal Palace football club (1861-1876), where Kev claimed it was disbanded by the FA because it was being used for the FA Cup Finals - the first Final took place at Crystal Palace Park in 1895, nearly twenty years after the original Palace club stopped playing, the club simply stopped playing football (it was primarily a cricket club with fixtures dating back as far as 1853 and into the 1890s, but after 1876, playing football in Crystal Palace Park became an issue with the owners of the Park.

Also the Glaziers nickname was purely just that, a nickname, it was never used for the orignal 1861 club, there is no evidence that any of the players actually worked at the Palace, it was a group of sportsmen that played cricket in the summer and football in the winter and lived in Norwood and Thornton Heath so the Crystal Palace Park was an ideal location.

And was an eagle seen rising from the ashes of the Crystal Palace?

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 17-01-2018, 09:06 AM
Class Swot.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I thought Browett played his part very well, he backed up SP in things, praising him when SP obviously didn't want to self aggrandise and SP did the same when talking about Browett. It also flies in the face of some who like to imply some sort of antagonism between the two Steves.

The discussion on transfers and ticket pricing should be stickied to both the transfer forum and the Selhurst decopment thread.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign (satire)
Old 17-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
I can recognise some of the comments re tin hat etc. but it's hardly a surprise really is it?

He said something during the interview when talking about Roy but clearly about himself too and that is that when you do a job like that you 'expose' everything about yourself to all and sundry and have to take everyone's opinions reasonable or not about you, like it or not. The open approach that Steve takes as Chairman opens him up to the same thing. He could hide in a cupboard and say nothing like some do but he leads from the front and TBH I am glad he does take the risk to do that. But as a result he occasionally wakes up to some fool calling him a **** in a message on a Sunday morning or being hammered because he enjoys himself on a holiday. He is human and that has to hurt at times.

The most remarkable thing for me is that whenever I hear him talk at any length about the club or a situation he just always make sense and everything feels OK again. Ironically, bearing in mind criticism he gets from some about loving the media, it's when he goes quiet that things feel worse. Just glad that he is mad enough to stick it out TBH because we could, and have had, far worse.

Nice one.
Old 17-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Feather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Enjoyable and interesting listen.

I reckon we might be in talks to buy a Forest player.
Old 17-01-2018, 10:44 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
And was an eagle seen rising from the ashes of the Crystal Palace?
The Myth of the Palace Phoenix! Dates back to 1994 when Ron Noades made the spurious accusation about our original 1973 badge, so he could introduce the Altonwood Eagle that is still used by the Golf courses he has kindly left for us to enjoy!
Old 17-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I can recognise some of the comments re tin hat etc. but it's hardly a surprise really is it?

He said something during the interview when talking about Roy but clearly about himself too and that is that when you do a job like that you 'expose' everything about yourself to all and sundry and have to take everyone's opinions reasonable or not about you, like it or not. The open approach that Steve takes as Chairman opens him up to the same thing. He could hide in a cupboard and say nothing like some do but he leads from the front and TBH I am glad he does take the risk to do that. But as a result he occasionally wakes up to some fool calling him a **** in a message on a Sunday morning or being hammered because he enjoys himself on a holiday. He is human and that has to hurt at times.

The most remarkable thing for me is that whenever I hear him talk at any length about the club or a situation he just always make sense and everything feels OK again. Ironically, bearing in mind criticism he gets from some about loving the media, it's when he goes quiet that things feel worse. Just glad that he is mad enough to stick it out TBH because we could, and have had, far worse.

Nice one.
Yep, all of this.

For the life of me I just don’t get the hate thrown his way. Nit picking mistakes with the advantage of hindsight is such an easy and ignorant thing to do.

What’s reassuring is that I think for the most of it, Parish seems very good at not listening to ‘the noise’ as he puts it and just goes with facts and his knowledge when decision making. And I think, or at least I hope, he’s aware that the haters are an idiotic minority.

We were just so lucky the day that man - and the other 3 for that matter - decided to get involved with our club. We’ve never had it so good.

- John Peel
Old 17-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Humble

DeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDeadPanX : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great listen, thoroughly enjoyed it. Good work Trilby and Streety. So glad we have such a great chairman with Parish, speaks alot of sense and very insightful. Sure he's not above criticism and will make mistakes but on the whole can't think of a better chairman who have Palace's interests at heart.
Old 17-01-2018, 02:59 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Liked it when Browett got asked a rare question, about what he does, and Parish butted in and said ‘he always comes’. There was a half-snigger in the background, quickly stifled
Old 17-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post

Kevin Day did seem to be on his high horse about what it should be. All suggestions that ‘sound good’ for someone to say without much thought. Why not put a hopistal for animals in there? Or a recycling plant? Or head offices for The Human Fund.
Old 17-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
Kevin Day did seem to be on his high horse about what it should be. All suggestions that ‘sound good’ for someone to say without much thought. Why not put a hopistal for animals in there? Or a recycling plant? Or head offices for The Human Fund.
Yeah.. have to admit found it OTT.

Good pod though. I like hearing SP talk, reassuring, even though we learnt nothing from it!
Old 17-01-2018, 05:06 PM

alexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think SP is very open as he can be about what really goes on. We can all sit here and comment on what we think is going on but ultimately he is the one that knows. Football on the whole is a very murky world and yes it may be obvious to us for example that we need a striker but as he said it’s not as simple, you pay a premium for a striker and more often then not whoever it may be won’t be right for the club, as a person, a player, wages, fee whatever it may be. He’s trying to get it right and that is why he has surrounded himself with ex Palace people because they care about the club. It was interesting to note the comment about having a top 10 revenue and you know what he’s right so getting Selhurst redeveloped and trying to keep us in the Premiership is very hard but somehow he’s trying to get it done. In all honesty we have never had it so good and we’ve been doing it in a very Palace like manner, we love the rollercoaster. Having Roy and his team here has certainly made huge improvements on the First Team side, I think SP now has a manager he can trust and confide in and that is only going to make us a better club in the long run. Guess what most of us including myself didn’t want Roy but I’m so glad I was wrong and so happy with the improvement plus we are starting to get consistency at Selhurst which we really haven’t had since we’ve been back.

Long Term Keep Roy and get him to groom our next manager. Get Selhurst re-developed, sort the academy out and we will be a solid club with a fruitful future.

Short Term hopefully get Roy a few reinforcements in this window so we can get to the summer and rebuild from there to achieve the long term.
Old 17-01-2018, 05:16 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
SP was asking for ideas for what to do with the place outside of matchays.

First, I would keep the bars open a little longer after matchdays for starters. You make a point about the stadium only being used 20 times a season and then not earning - then when you are open you turf people out after 1 hour just as they are likely to spend more on beer. And they go and drink in local pubs.

I would look at things you can do after the game - pub quizzes, karaoke, disco...

Weeknights - I would look at bingo, quiz nights etc - a proper Palace social club. Meet the players, mini five a side tournaments. How about putting a gym or even a swimming pool and spa in there? You could think about some kind of high tech video games centre with membership aligned to pool, table tennis and table football...But high tech means Switch, PS4, virtual devices - and a lot related to football.
Old 17-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Great pod - I've always thought that as long as Parish is in charge we will be ok. His passion always come through well and he's overseeing one of the best periods in our history. Long may it continue.

We didn't learn anything new on the transfer front and I think everyone just needs to mentally check out from transfers until 31 January when everything will happen as per usual. It's very frustrating but I thought Parish explained well why most business gets delayed. I feel for Roy though given the injuries. It will also be interesting to see if Freedman's appointment has made a difference but Parish spoke highly of him.
Old 17-01-2018, 07:35 PM

mean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betraymean is like ice, their footing does betray
Guys, just listened on a couple of journeys too and from work. Enjoyable listen and some good perspective, thanks.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
SP was asking for ideas for what to do with the place outside of matchays.

First, I would keep the bars open a little longer after matchdays for starters. You make a point about the stadium only being used 20 times a season and then not earning - then when you are open you turf people out after 1 hour just as they are likely to spend more on beer. And they go and drink in local pubs.

I would look at things you can do after the game - pub quizzes, karaoke, disco...

Weeknights - I would look at bingo, quiz nights etc - a proper Palace social club. Meet the players, mini five a side tournaments. How about putting a gym or even a swimming pool and spa in there? You could think about some kind of high tech video games centre with membership aligned to pool, table tennis and table football...But high tech means Switch, PS4, virtual devices - and a lot related to football.
A swimming pool would take too much room, plus the new leisure centre in Thornton Heath already has one. A gym, along with a coffee shop and a cresche would make most sense. Otherwise you are spot on, especially the bit about encouraging fans to stay in the ground after the game.

Did think it was funny when Kevin Day started going on about the ground becoming a social services centre, it was well meaning but I think we should leave the council to all that hassle.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Turning Against This Land

Newts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewts G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great pod, well done to all involved. Good questions asked and in the main were answered.

SP's info on the transfer window and how it works was very interesting. Also he mentioned (more than once I think) that they get offered every player. Putting in early bids only sounds as if it works for prestigious clubs or if you are paying over the odds (i.e. they take your bid and punt that around the other clubs) Certainly put's difficulty of signing players into perspective, especially players that do not have the affinity we have with the club.

SP is certainly a talented guy, I can imagine he does not let up on anyone he works with, when he butt in on SB's question about his role, I get the intent he was getting at (I think SB would have downplayed his importance and SP was trying to show how important he is to him as a member of his inner circle) but it was executed in a way that he wasn't allowing him to get a word in edge ways!!!

We are lucky to have the management team we have now and you pod blokes as well, great listen, well done.