Edgar Davids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgar Davids

Random one. But with our new Dutch boss imminent I've been reading on here and twitter about our Dutch links and Davids name pops up fairly regularly, with almost all negative connotations. Am I the only one who thinks he wasnt anywhere near as bad as some are making out??? I thought he was OK in a fairly shocking Palace side.
    So let me get this right, we all go to work for 5 days a week for 40 odd years to pay off a debt that only exists on a banks computer?!

Now repeat after me "I AM FREE".

I remember his first Palace game, away at Portsmouth and a couple of pinpoint long passes that had everyone purring. And I think he'd not played for about a year before, having previously retired.

From the little memory I still have of him playing for us, from his remaining 5 or 6 other games though he seemed a bit off the pace.

He dropped down a couple more divisions and made a decent impact at Barnet though.
    "Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Comment

A big problem was that Burley played him at left back for a number of games. He did play centre mid versus QPR & gifted them their first goal with a shocking back pass IIRC.
      Was a huge buzz from the fans & players when he first arrived but he clearly wasn't match fit & his dad died during his CP run which affected him pretty badly.
      It was a gamble that didn't pay off sadly. Whenever asked about his time at CP, he has always given positive remarks but maybe just being a good pro?
      The creator of the "Evil Sash" kit idea.

Originally posted by BBD
      *prizesucker's suggestion about shallow nets shows he's a true connoisseur of the beautiful game :)

Comment

You had to admire somebody of his stature continuing to play in the lower leagues for the simple love of the game (I'm assuming he didn't need the money). Ex-internationals continuing to turn out at that level used to be the norm but is now sadly a rarity.

Comment

The game against qpr(believe Warnock took them up that year) He had tarabt in his pocket, unfortunately that terrible back pass happened and that seemed to end his time with us.
          Gus Poyet 15/09/11 "I've only been at Brighton, so I've got a long way to go."

Comment

I remember him playing well down at Pompey in the League Cup. Pretty poor apart from that.

Comment

Remember him at Derby away. He was dreadful, I don't believe he played for us again after that.

Comment

He had a very good game at Cardiff away (0-0), mid week game.
                Last edited by burgess hill 84; 23-06-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
                  I remember him playing well down at Pompey in the League Cup. Pretty poor apart from that.
                  I missed a game v Portsmouth that September because my selfish wife decided to go into labour. I missed a Vaughan hat-trick and the opportunity to take the piss out of Portsmouth fans and that bellend with the bell.

Away Day Eagle very kindly got me a programme from the match that I could keep as a memento for the new born. The centre page picture is of Edgar Davids. For years I've been wanting him to sign it for me and write a birthday message in it, but I was too busy or too lazy to ever get up to Barnet to ask him for the favour.

Comment

Terrible pass in a home game cost us the match and that was his lot from what I can remember......l

Comment

Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
                      I missed a game v Portsmouth that September because my selfish wife decided to go into labour. I missed a Vaughan hat-trick and the opportunity to take the piss out of Portsmouth fans and that bellend with the bell.

Away Day Eagle very kindly got me a programme from the match that I could keep as a memento for the new born. The centre page picture is of Edgar Davids. For years I've been wanting him to sign it for me and write a birthday message in it, but I was too busy or too lazy to ever get up to Barnet to ask him for the favour.
                      Just get maestro to sign it. He's very obliging.
                      Splitter.

Cricket wanker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
                        I remember his first Palace game, away at Portsmouth and a couple of pinpoint long passes that had everyone purring. And I think he'd not played for about a year before, having previously retired.

From the little memory I still have of him playing for us, from his remaining 5 or 6 other games though he seemed a bit off the pace.

He dropped down a couple more divisions and made a decent impact at Barnet though.
                        I was there that night. I've never been buzzing so much after a defeat in my life- we were awesome and the sheer presence of Davids seemed to give the whole team a lift.

Comment

Reminded me a little bit of the Brolin signing. You watch them for the first few games and they aren't great but you think 'wow when he gets match fit and the other players get on his wavelength he is going to be a game changer'

You say the same thing at the 3rd and 4th games and then realise that if they ever had any hope of getting back to near their best they wouldn't have joined us !
                          Oxted no more.......

Comment

Of all of the crazy revelations of the last few days, PHIL BARBER's amazing histrionics and new manager discussions, the fact that I now know that SC has, indeed, done the naughty with a woman is probably the biggest.

I now know that despite the brash facade, you are clearly a softie. Genuinely warmed my heart. I had visions of you as a knife wielding, witty bastard in a bedsit with a vest on.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ's right boot View Post
                              Random one. But with our new Dutch boss imminent I've been reading on here and twitter about our Dutch links and Davids name pops up fairly regularly, with almost all negative connotations. Am I the only one who thinks he wasnt anywhere near as bad as some are making out??? I thought he was OK in a fairly shocking Palace side.
                              Did you go to the 5-0 defeat at Derby. Got torn a new one by Robbie Savage and Paul Green? The legs had gone. Not entirely his fault, George Burley set the team up and as he had it organised we couldnt defend to save our lives. Coaching wise I couldnt say. How hes gone since Barnet? I havent been keeping tabs
                              Certainties in life

Death, taxes and injections

Comment

Originally posted by jimos_uk View Post
                                Of all of the crazy revelations of the last few days, PHIL BARBER's amazing histrionics and new manager discussions, the fact that I now know that SC has, indeed, done the naughty with a woman is probably the biggest.

I now know that despite the brash facade, you are clearly a softie. Genuinely warmed my heart. I had visions of you as a knife wielding, witty bastard in a bedsit with a vest on.
                                Hold on a minute, sunshine. Where in my post did I reveal that the child was mine?

Comment

Played well against QPR, then gifted them a goal, did his hamstring in that game too?
                                  Grumpy old ****

Comment

Hold on a minute, sunshine. Where in my post did I reveal that the child was mine?

Splitter.

Cricket wanker.

Comment

They all support Palace though and some of them come to the occasional match with me.

Comment

They all support Palace though and some of them come to the occasional match with me.
                                        Red&Blue
                                        Green&Red
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5nP9VKxbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_OFQzea_Ks

Comment