Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 PM
in the 25th Century

Polish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePolish Pete : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Dubai Ex-Pats Advice Please?

Hi

I know there area few tips on Dubai but am over staying by the Marina (Hilton) in December to break up trip to UK.

I have a couple of queries for Dubai based Palace fans.

Any suggestions for a good place to eat (with a four year old) close by?

Also I`m bringing in Valium and another prescribed drug on their "not too happy to bring in" list.

Reading the UAE embassy website.

First I need to get Doctors Letter then get that stamped and Authenticate the medical letter from one of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade offices in Sydney, then send a money order of $90.00AU payable to the Embassy of UAE with A pre-paid self-addressed envelope.

I`m there for one night!

Do I really have to do all this, or is this overkill?

Much appreciated

PP
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
I had no idea.

But I trust To view the link you have to Register or Login.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 05-10-2016, 03:26 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here

Last edited by Brumie Allan; 13-10-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Allow me to help :)
Old 05-10-2016, 05:09 AM
XXVII

little al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Allow me to help.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
The UAE is not a democracy and is still an emerging market. It has regulations that do not make sense and sometimes are actually impossible to carry out. The result of regulations making no sense is that officials are allowed to use common sense – but don’t assume they will if they don’t like you. I would assume if you were stopping over for one day and were carrying prescription medicines with a stamped doctors note (stamps are important) then this would be sufficient for a one day stop over. In particular if travelling with a child. Makes a difference the kid. If worried though why not post some of it and just keep what you need on you with the doctors note?

I recently had to enter the UAE with my wife who was carrying a large amount restricted medicine. We tried several times to follow the official procedure but it wasn’t possible as the embassy we had to contact in Cyprus was never open. When we landed we told customs what had happened (hoping they could be quarantined and we could carry out the procedure in the UAE). The customs official basically said not to be silly and we should just go. They didn’t even check what it was we had.

Staying at the Marina Hilton you are next to JBR and The Beach so will have dozens of restaurants that are kid friendly. If you want to have a drink over dinner do to the Rotana near by, they’ll have an all you can eat and drink offer on any day of the week.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:52 AM

saxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I had no idea.

But I trust To view the link you have to Register or Login.
Hang on, that isn't Lonely Planet - that's ThornTree, a forum like this where anyone can register and post!

Whilst the information in that thread is most likely correct, it shouldn't be taken as gospel!
Old 13-10-2017, 01:46 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Top advice: Don't touch another man's hip.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 13-10-2017, 02:41 AM
BTC

Far East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Top advice: Don't touch another man's hip.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Was just about to post the same

Whatever you do, don't stumble in a bar. Horrible racist and homophobic country. I would give them my money.
Old 13-10-2017, 03:22 AM
Returned.

Daniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaniel_Nash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Pete View Post
Hi

I know there area few tips on Dubai but am over staying by the Marina (Hilton) in December to break up trip to UK.

I have a couple of queries for Dubai based Palace fans.

Any suggestions for a good place to eat (with a four year old) close by?

Also I`m bringing in Valium and another prescribed drug on their "not too happy to bring in" list.

Reading the UAE embassy website.

First I need to get Doctors Letter then get that stamped and Authenticate the medical letter from one of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade offices in Sydney, then send a money order of $90.00AU payable to the Embassy of UAE with A pre-paid self-addressed envelope.

I`m there for one night!

Do I really have to do all this, or is this overkill?

Much appreciated

PP
Can't you just put the pills in your luggage and never mention it to anyone? that's what I'd do. In my toiletry bag, maybe get rid of the box first.. wouldn't deal with that paperwork at all. From experience, the customs folk are stern and quiet but don't care that much. The paperwork might just draw attention to you.

As for places to eat. There is quite a lot around the marina, but if you feel like a short ride - 15 mins away is Jumeirah/Wild Wadi and inside the fake looking souk there are loads of places. My favourite is the Belgian Beer Cafe but appreciate a child may not be as into that as you might be...

Alternatively, the Dubai Mall near to Burj Khalifa is 20 mins from your hotel and has a tonne of options including the Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs (get the dynamite shrimp), California Pizza Kitchen, and loads of others.

As an aside, I am doing almost the same trip next month. Brisbane-Dubai-London. The stopover is a great idea to help make such a long trip bearable. Otherwise you might not have to worry about having any Valium left by the time you get to Dubai...

Last edited by Daniel_Nash; 13-10-2017 at 03:29 AM.
Old 13-10-2017, 05:41 AM

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far East Eagle View Post
Was just about to post the same

Whatever you do, don't stumble in a bar. Horrible racist and homophobic country. I would give them my money.
More to the story than the UK press are telling.

Yes, the laws may be stricter in Dubai than in the UK, but generally the police are fair and don't want to be involved in incidents like this.

Unfortunately, the behaviour of some Brits abroad does tend to lead to 'misunderstandings' like this. On the whole, those Brits should look in the mirror and consider who is responsible.. them or the country theyve visited.
Old 13-10-2017, 06:13 AM

McpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake and Eat It View Post

Yes, the laws may be stricter in Dubai than in the UK, but generally the police are fair and don't want to be involved in incidents like this.

Unfortunately, the behaviour of some Brits abroad does tend to lead to 'misunderstandings' like this. On the whole, those Brits should look in the mirror and consider who is responsible.. them or the country theyve visited.

Exactly I don't believe for one moment he simply stumbled and touched someone's hip. He was presumably being a drunken dick.
Old 13-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
You just want people to know you're going to Dubai.
Old 13-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
you old cynic you
Old 13-10-2017, 06:54 AM

McpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post

Who's going to Dubai?
Old 13-10-2017, 07:00 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Some international drug dealer from the looks of it.
Old 13-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Confused
Old 13-10-2017, 07:58 AM

swissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The place where its legal to serve alcohol but illegal to drink it (unless you have a permit).
Old 23-10-2017, 12:55 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake and Eat It View Post

Just listened to a talk on the radio about this incident and others in Dubai, and it totally contradicts your stance on it. Apparently these crazy incidents happen all the time, it's just that they're not reported. 'In their thousands' claimed the lady on the radio who assists the unlucky people that get into trouble over there.

There was a guy who was over there with his family, bought something with a note and they claimed the note was counterfeit. The next thing he knew he was banged up for 4 days; his family not knowing where the hell he was and not allowed to call anyone or any representation.

People have been arrested for holding hands, kissing someone on the cheek...many have had one drink in a bar, got a taxi and more often than not taken straight to a police station.
Old 23-10-2017, 01:09 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Just listened to a talk on the radio about this incident and others in Dubai, and it totally contradicts your stance on it. Apparently these crazy incidents happen all the time, it's just that they're not reported. 'In their thousands' claimed the lady on the radio who assists the unlucky people that get into trouble over there.

There was a guy who was over there with his family, bought something with a note and they claimed the note was counterfeit. The next thing he knew he was banged up for 4 days; his family not knowing where the hell he was and not allowed to call anyone or any representation.

People have been arrested for holding hands, kissing someone on the cheek...many have had one drink in a bar, got a taxi and more often than not taken straight to a police station.

Sounds like a backward country... why do people visit there... what’s the appeal?
Old 23-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I live here and have never known of anyone arrested for any such thing.

The Detained in Dubai woman appears to have a serious chip on her shoulder.

The guy in question, now pardoned, did use an obscene gesture at the gentleman concerned. That's why he was in trouble.