CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

y2rich 23-02-2011 11:53 PM

If you've got the physical skills mate then go for it. I know a lot of clubs have a small stash of kit that you can borrow from until you get yourself sorted but it's a lot better when you have all your own kit that fits properly :D

That reminds me, anyone want an Adams A2000XL helmet sans facemask?

With regards to Uni I imagine it'd depend on the one you're going to. I know most of them have a football programme of some sort but no idea whether you'd be able to try out for them. If they've got close links to their rugby team (especially if its a very small Uni) then you may get the chance.

peagle 24-02-2011 12:01 AM

I will look into it again, think from memory I may have missed the Farnham team (which I think is my nearest) tryout day though.

Anyway aren't you a Jets fan? you might be deliberately giving me bad advice ;)

jazman 24-02-2011 12:08 AM

Ah, not the Crockenhill I was thinking of, near Swanley this one ...

http://www.kentexiles.co.uk/index.php

The other one is closer just the other side of Crawley

http://www.sussexthunder.com/

y2rich 24-02-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
I will look into it again, think from memory I may have missed the Farnham team (which I think is my nearest) tryout day though.

Anyway aren't you a Jets fan? you might be deliberately giving me bad advice ;)

Vikes fan mate. Although I'd take the Jets over the Pats any day :p

peagle 24-02-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2rich
Vikes fan mate. Although I'd take the Jets over the Pats any day :p

Ahh my bad. Been reading up on your lots plans for a new stadium... sounds like loads of options but not a lot coming out in terms of plans. Isn't the metro-no-dome lease up this year?

y2rich 24-02-2011 08:21 AM

Yup. They want a billion dollar new stadium but with the public footing the bill. Reckon we'll be in the Gophers stadium or on the move out of Minneapolis.

peagle 24-02-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Yup. They want a billion dollar new stadium but with the public footing the bill. Reckon we'll be in the Gophers stadium or on the move out of Minneapolis.

Don't think the Gophers stadium will suffice in the long-term as they will want more corporate space. Ultimately American teams tend to get their stadiums built for them at the threat they will move so I guess it's about the Minneapolis authorities deciding how much they want the franchise. Would you still be a vikings fan if they moved across the country or is it a Minn thin'?

y2rich 24-02-2011 11:23 AM

It's a Minn' thing these days. I think it's more likely they move to LA than the local authority stump up for a new stadium. Unless the Twins let them move in...

elliott 24-02-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

It's a Minn' thing these days. I think it's more likely they move to LA than the local authority stump up for a new stadium. Unless the Twins let them move in...

Agreed. The Gophers stadium is grim too.

Oh, and at American universities, they have club football (which is sign-up, no tryouts, for fun etc, which I've heard is a similar level to british football). Alternatively, I watched a college rugby game whilst I was over there. It was a bag of shit, so you'd find it very easy to do well.

peagle 24-02-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
Agreed. The Gophers stadium is grim too.

Oh, and at American universities, they have club football (which is sign-up, no tryouts, for fun etc, which I've heard is a similar level to british football). Alternatively, I watched a college rugby game whilst I was over there. It was a bag of shit, so you'd find it very easy to do well.

Yeah I'm not interested in just dossing around rugby that's the thing. Want something I can take seriously. The fact that it'd be a year out of competitive sport is one of the reasons I may not go, you're only young once so I don;t want to waste a year of good rugby!

Combine starts today, obviously not gonna watch it all live but NFL.com stuff looks like it should be good.

Swanny32 25-02-2011 04:28 PM

The season may be over but Rex is still running his mouth and making stupid promises..........

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...ther-guarantee

Vince Hilaire's Afro 25-02-2011 04:38 PM

Panthers coach Ron Rivera is waxing lyrical about Cam Newton at the moment. They've invited him to a try-out in Charlotte.

Hmmmm..........

Swanny32 25-02-2011 04:42 PM

I really have a feeling that Cam Newton isn't going to go as early as people think, there are a lot of defensive players worthy of a first round pick this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see Newton go in the second round. I'm getting though, it was only a few years ago when I thought the draft was boring and something that would never interest me, now I can't wait! Looking forward to watching some of the coverage on the combine this weekend on NFL.com.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 25-02-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
I really have a feeling that Cam Newton isn't going to go as early as people think, there are a lot of defensive players worthy of a first round pick this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see Newton go in the second round. I'm getting though, it was only a few years ago when I thought the draft was boring and something that would never interest me, now I can't wait! Looking forward to watching some of the coverage on the combine this weekend on NFL.com.

It's not always about the player. The Panthers desperately need a franchise QB, and the club have come out and said so. So whilst they may think Fairley or Bowers, or even AJ Green are better players at their position, that need for an exciting QB might just swing it. He'd get bums on seats for sure, and the Panthers need that as much as a solid, but uninspiring defensive pick.

That said, we need an NFL ready quarterback for this season. I'd rather we went for someone like McNabb or Vince Young, and see how Clausen and Pike progress on the sidelines. Then use the top pick on the top player.

y2rich 25-02-2011 05:28 PM

Newton goes to 9ers or Titans. Gabbert is first QB taken.

jazman 25-02-2011 07:20 PM

Shirt spotting in the UK. O2 in London today. #24 Barber on a young girl, probably age 7. Excellent :)

Swanny32 25-02-2011 07:55 PM

Apparently word has got out that they are no closer to a new CBA. :(

jazman 25-02-2011 08:22 PM

The suggestions on Twitter this afternoon have not been very revealing at all which made me think that ...

pauldrulez 25-02-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

He wont be there at 10 in the first round in my opinion.

Dallas are massively interested. Which sums up Jerry Jones. And his opinion on Romo...

pauldrulez 25-02-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

The season may be over but Rex is still running his mouth and making stupid promises..........

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...ther-guarantee

I honestly cannot wait for it to go wrong for the Jets.

It's going to happen at some point. Don't know when, but it will.