CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Bizarro 06-11-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15491739)
Having to wear a face mask to walk aroind our office and being told to do this via a video message from a CEO tucked away in his house. Our office already has strict social distincing plastic protective shields.

Having to wear a face mask whilst walking round the office carpark

pallet 06-11-2020 11:48 AM

We have to wear them everywhere on site even outside on your own.

ceeby 06-11-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15491564)
And whilst we're on about septics... my bug bear, mentioned here before: their inability to pronounce the letter T in bounty or county, which I've had to endure all too frequently over the last couple of days. Grrrrrrrr.

And as I have replied before, silly cuns. :)

robcmitchell 06-11-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cross_eyed_ed (Post 15491572)
I agree. It's like when someone "loses" someone. What, so you lost them in Aldi?

Years ago I worked with some socially inadequate, 50 something, year old man who lived at home with his mummy.
He had a couple of weeks off of work, unusual, he never took time off.
He didn't seem himself when he came back in, I asked him what was wrong.
He said he'd lost his mother.......... quick as a flash, I said, 'Norman, think back, where was she when you last saw her?'
It didnt go down too well.
I had a long hard look at myself and have learnt from the experience.

PIE "N" MASH 06-11-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15491955)
We have to wear them everywhere on site even outside on your own.

Pure stupidity.We have to wear them walking around the canteen or office but not whilst sat.Around site then no unless working in close proximity to someone else. Sat in the machine,jog on.

ozzieEagle 06-11-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH (Post 15492031)
Pure stupidity.We have to wear them walking around the canteen or office but not whilst sat.Around site then no unless working in close proximity to someone else. Sat in the machine,jog on.


We are still wearing them enforced by emergency laws with the threat of 200 dollar fines here in Melbourne. That's after 7 days with zero cases. Everywhere even outside alone in an empty park.

Must be said that most people pull them down when alone or away from people. Still, the law still stands at present. No sign of that law being withdrawn either.


Very irritating.

Hedgehog 06-11-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15491564)
And whilst we're on about septics... my bug bear, mentioned here before: their inability to pronounce the letter T in bounty or county, which I've had to endure all too frequently over the last couple of days. Grrrrrrrr.

Never thought about it before, but now you've brought it to my attention...

As an aside, I believe I maybe somewhat guilty of subconsciously dropping the "t" in my Anglo-American accent I have adopted after so long.

Another aside... I was doing a Facetime with my cousin in England yesterday, and used the word "schedule", but got all confused how to say it the English way (Sced-ule or shed-ule)... ended up saying, "or however you say it"!

Sharkba1t 06-11-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceeby (Post 15491978)
And as I have replied before, silly cuns. :)

Fair enough, but you Brits - especially Southerners, don't pronounce "R" when its at the end of a word. I say that, but the exception is when you say a word ending in "A". Then you'll say (as an example) "Arener" rather than "arena" .:supergrin:
And i'm 100% Irish, so i speak perfectly, yez fekin eejits.

west country boy 06-11-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkba1t (Post 15492314)
Fair enough, but you Brits - especially Southerners, don't pronounce "R" when its at the end of a word. I say that, but the exception is when you say a word ending in "A". Then you'll say (as an example) "Arener" rather than "arena"

I don't think I understand this.

mushroom 06-11-2020 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54265

Neighbour putting up Xmas lights in early November

Malaga Eagle 06-11-2020 06:09 PM

Buying an Americano and being asked if I want milk in it, wtf?

west country boy 06-11-2020 06:20 PM

ITV London News referring to Winifred Atwell as "the most famous black musician you've never heard of".

Maz 06-11-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15492428)
ITV London News referring to Winifred Atwell as "the most famous black musician you've never heard of".

Yes. That grated with me as well.

Danny_Cheviot 06-11-2020 08:50 PM

Baked potatoes.

Take 6,875,334 years in the oven to cook............and about 3 minutes to eat.

(And yes, cooking them in the microwave is just sh*t).

norwoodeagle 06-11-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny_Cheviot (Post 15492640)
Baked potatoes.

Take 6,875,334 years in the oven to cook............and about 3 minutes to eat.

(And yes, cooking them in the microwave is just sh*t).

Cook in the microwave for around 7 minutes and then put a little oil and salt on the skin and finish in a v hot oven for 15/20 minutes.

Adlerhorst 06-11-2020 10:02 PM

When you are asked for your cookie preferences every time you go to a website even though you rejected cookies and save preferences multiple times previously.

Yet if you ever click accept you are never asked again.

Nth Kent Eagle 06-11-2020 10:13 PM

Those bloody prescription ordering apps that need approval from the company, who then send to the doctor, who then send to chemist. Doubles the time it takes. Like most big companies and organisations they will cut anything apart from red tape.

PemboExpress 06-11-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15492859)
When you are asked for your cookie preferences every time you go to a website even though you rejected cookies and save preferences multiple times previously.

Yet if you ever click accept you are never asked again.

Yeah, you can say that again.....or should I say, show that again:wallbash:

Worksop Palace 06-11-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwoodeagle (Post 15492805)
Cook in the microwave for around 7 minutes and then put a little oil and salt on the skin and finish in a v hot oven for 15/20 minutes.

Correct

And stick a metal skewer through them to speed up the internal cooking process.

(Whilst in the oven, not the microwave....)

sirdougie 06-11-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15492428)
ITV London News referring to Winifred Atwell as "the most famous black musician you've never heard of".


Who?

Stavros 69 06-11-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdougie (Post 15492891)
Who?

WCB has all her tapes

KYLIE MINEAGLE 06-11-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15492898)
WCB has all her tapes

All her 78s more likely :supergrin:




















I do know who she is.

CT_Palace 07-11-2020 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15492373)
I don't think I understand this.

He's talking about the schwa sound (I think).
This - ə - in the phonetic alphabet. The most common sound in English (both British and American). Any word ending in -er, -or, -ar, the io in -tion words, the a or i in -able or -ible words etc etc etc Or the word American even. We don say the 'can in American as in a can of beans but as 'cun or more correctly cən.

The only difference is that the yanks add a slight r sound at the end of the schwa for words ending in r, and the English don't. That's what Sharks is on about (I think). There isn't really a R pronounced at the end of arena. It's the schwa and as we usually write that sound as -er. I think Sharks is saying arena is pronounced arener and therefore with a R, when it's really arenə (with no true R sound, although it's more likely to have a slightly more pronounced R in American pronunciation)

HTH, although I fear not

CT_Palace 07-11-2020 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15492290)
Never thought about it before, but now you've brought it to my attention...

As an aside, I believe I maybe somewhat guilty of subconsciously dropping the "t" in my Anglo-American accent I have adopted after so long.

Another aside... I was doing a Facetime with my cousin in England yesterday, and used the word "schedule", but got all confused how to say it the English way (Sced-ule or shed-ule)... ended up saying, "or however you say it"!

And what about the T in computer Bob? Go on, say it. Is it a T or a D?

It was the adverts for the kitchen roll named Bounty that used to get me. It's your effing brand name ffs, at least try to say it correctly. If you cant be bothered change the name to Bouny and have done with it! ,

Hedgehog 07-11-2020 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15492966)
And what about the T in computer Bob? Go on, say it. Is it a T or a D?

It was the adverts for the kitchen roll named Bounty that used to get me. It's your effing brand name ffs, at least try to say it correctly. If you cant be bothered change the name to Bouny and have done with it! ,

Conversationally I fear I would say computer with a "d".

In a cold one off, I think I would still say it with a "t".

I'm not proud of it, but it does make life easier. I very rarely get asked where I'm from anymore, and if it is they ask if I'm Australian or British.

CT_Palace 07-11-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15492970)
Conversationally I fear I would say computer with a "d".

In a cold one off, I think I would still say it with a "t".

I'm not proud of it, but it does make life easier. I very rarely get asked where I'm from anymore, and if it is they ask if I'm Australian or British.

It's not a criticism H.
Accents are accents and they rub off on you. I know, for example, that I speak Spanish with a damn ugly Chilean accent. I cant help it now.

Hedgehog 07-11-2020 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15492972)
It's not a criticism H.
Accents are accents and they rub off on you. I know, for example, that I speak Spanish with a damn ugly Chilean accent. I cant help it now.

I used to work with a Cuban guy... he did this thing where he mimicked all the Spanish accents. I didn't know what the heck he was talking about, but could definitely pick up on all the different nuances.

Accents are a funny old thing...

Hedgehog 07-11-2020 02:19 AM

On Trip Advisor...

"Came for my sons first birthday and to relax."

Yes I'm going to take your review seriously....

Olympian2 07-11-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15492410)
Attachment 54265

Neighbour putting up Xmas lights in early November


https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bb07202a16.jpg

chateauferret 07-11-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15492975)
I used to work with a Cuban guy... he did this thing where he mimicked all the Spanish accents. I didn't know what the heck he was talking about, but could definitely pick up on all the different nuances.

Accents are a funny old thing...

I have been in Scotland for 20 years but haven't picked up an accent. I've picked up some of the usage and vocabulary though. You get some funny looks if you say something like "See they wee bridies, give us a couple an four pure well-fired mornin rolls an that's us" in an accent that comes from 500 miles away. (Those 't's at our end of Bromley aren't 'd's, they're glottal stops of course, and funnily enough they're also glottal stops in the west of Scotland).

ISTR BTW that that "r" following the schwa or a vowel in words like "archer" (medially and finally) in American English was an indicator of sociolinguistic level: at high sociolinguistic levels it is regularly pronounced, lower sociolinguistic levels tended to pronounce more as in England. Some kind of experiment was done comparing high-class and low-class department store workers IIRC. Then an 'r' is often inserted (in many varieties of English) as liaison, in situations where one vowel sound is juxtaposed with another: anyone who sings in choirs will have heard singers told off for inserting an -r- in places like this (e.g. "Say unto the cities of Judah, Arise! Shine!" in Handel's Messiah).

Maidstoned Eagle 07-11-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15492859)
When you are asked for your cookie preferences every time you go to a website even though you rejected cookies and save preferences multiple times previously.

Yet if you ever click accept you are never asked again.

Or the sites which won't let you see the content unless you accept cookies.

ExiledStirling 07-11-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15493015)
I have been in Scotland for 20 years but haven't picked up an accent. I've picked up some of the usage and vocabulary though. You get some funny looks if you say something like "See they wee bridies, give us a couple an four pure well-fired mornin rolls an that's us" in an accent that comes from 500 miles away. (Those 't's at our end of Bromley aren't 'd's, they're glottal stops of course, and funnily enough they're also glottal stops in the west of Scotland).

Anytime I find a Scotch word or colloquialism drift into my vocab I rebuke myself and remove it immediately.

chateauferret 07-11-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 15493013)
(Anti-christmas lights)

I'm not sure I'd be all that impressed with a neighbour who displayed illuminated signage containing the F-word like that, although I do sympathise with the sentiment!

chateauferret 07-11-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15493021)
Anytime I find a Scotch word or colloquialism drift into my vocab I rebuke myself and remove it immediately.

Yeah, I used to do that but it's too much like hard work :-) I am surrounded by family and cow orkers all from near Glasgow and have gone native. Well apart from my accent and Palace fandom, that is.

ExiledStirling 07-11-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15493034)
Yeah, I used to do that but it's too much like hard work :-)

It is all about how much you want to assimilate. It is easy if you have strict limits on how far you are prepared to go. Reset your marker.

Les Butler 07-11-2020 07:59 AM

I hahve lahst my south lahndon ahccent seence being een quebec ahnd now speak like ziss...cahme on you pahlace !!!

Maidstoned Eagle 07-11-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15493036)
It is all about how much you want to assimilate. It is easy if you have strict limits on how far you are prepared to go. Reset your marker.

He finds it makes collecting fares on the last bus to the Gorbals a lot easier.

chateauferret 07-11-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15493036)
It is all about how much you want to assimilate. It is easy if you have strict limits on how far you are prepared to go. Reset your marker.

Well, a lot of linguistic behaviour is the result of "going with the flow" and a lot is to do with aligning yourself with social groups you want to be associated with. Sociolinguistics, that is. But a lot of it is subconscious and takes a conscious effort to resist, as your previous post suggests. Now I think that around Glasgow the dialect is quite different actually from England or the North of Scotland, and the "flow" is quite strong, so resistance is harder. I don't think I'll be going back to England permanently any time soon, if ever, and it isn't something that bothers me or anyone else. If I spend more than a few days in England I do adapt back quite quickly, although I did once ask for a "fish supper" in Llandrindod Wells...

ExiledStirling 07-11-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15493045)
Well, a lot of linguistic behaviour is the result of "going with the flow" and a lot is to do with aligning yourself with social groups you want to be associated with. Sociolinguistics, that is. But a lot of it is subconscious and takes a conscious effort to resist, as your previous post suggests. Now I think that around Glasgow the dialect is quite different actually from England or the North of Scotland, and the "flow" is quite strong, so resistance is harder. I don't think I'll be going back to England permanently any time soon, if ever, and it isn't something that bothers me or anyone else. If I spend more than a few days in England I do adapt back quite quickly, although I did once ask for a "fish supper" in Llandrindod Wells...

'fish supper' is the last time I rebuked myself. But on appeal decided it was acceptable. Just.

chateauferret 07-11-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15493047)
'fish supper' is the last time I rebuked myself. But on appeal decided it was acceptable. Just.

:supergrin:

See if you ask for "fish and chips" round here you get one package with two slices of fish in it (a "single fish"), and another separate one with chips in it. (In some places a fish supper comes like that anyway, though).

Martin H 07-11-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15492859)
When you are asked for your cookie preferences every time you go to a website even though you rejected cookies and save preferences multiple times previously.

Yet if you ever click accept you are never asked again.

Absolutely.

PALACEWU 07-11-2020 09:00 AM

With bells on

Purepalace 07-11-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15492859)
When you are asked for your cookie preferences every time you go to a website even though you rejected cookies and save preferences multiple times previously.

Yet if you ever click accept you are never asked again.

I've started being asked to opt in by Google now everytime I open Chrome. There is no opt out choice that I can see.

CP-RJW 07-11-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15491428)
The Guardian

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmNQ2eUW...jpg&name=large

TopKnot 07-11-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15492859)
When you are asked for your cookie preferences every time you go to a website even though you rejected cookies and save preferences multiple times previously.

Yet if you ever click accept you are never asked again.

Either this post has whooshed a lot of people or Iíve been completely whooshed...

ozzieEagle 07-11-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15493021)
Anytime I find a Scotch word or colloquialism drift into my vocab I rebuke myself and remove it immediately.

Plenty of Aussies do an offshoot of cockney rhyming slang or just straight out cockney.... which confuses the hell out of me. I'm not sure after 40 years whether I'm doing the Aussie version or the original London version in response. The usual clue that It's an Aussie version is if it has an a or o added to the end of the sentence... if it hasn't then I'm stuffed as to where I'm bloody talking from.


For instance, I'm 99pct sure we don't use the word "mozzed' for stymied in the UK...but not 100pct. Although If I slipped it into a sentence at the appropriate part of a sentence in London then I doubt anyone would not get it.

Lords Eagle 07-11-2020 11:44 PM

When Moulin Rouge is pronounced Moo-lon rouge, it's pronounced moo-lan!

Alfies army 07-11-2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lords Eagle (Post 15495357)
When Moulin Rouge is pronounced Moo-lon rouge, it's pronounced moo-lan!

Wow if thatís all that bugs you, but yeah Iíll go for it think I get where your going :D

Nostrils 08-11-2020 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lords Eagle (Post 15495357)
When Moulin Rouge is pronounced Moo-lon rouge, it's pronounced moo-lan!

All bound for moo moo-lan!

art malice 08-11-2020 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lords Eagle (Post 15495357)
When Moulin Rouge is pronounced Moo-lon rouge, it's pronounced moo-lan!

Fantastic pasta.

PALACEWU 08-11-2020 01:10 AM

Ropey

Olympian2 08-11-2020 12:13 PM

BBC journalism, part 2.

1. Karen Carney, again. Yesterday she stated that Bamford wasn't the type of player to make a meal of things, despite the fact that he got a 2 match ban the year before last for after being found guilty of 'successful deception of a match official' by the FA & admitting during that Leeds documentary that 'I milked it & made a stupid deal of it'.

2 - On the current BBC live feed it states that 'Spurs in their third yellow kit' - presumably both their first & second yellow kits weren't available. Do you reckon they have a fourth yellow kit too?

******* idiots.

big bad John 08-11-2020 05:30 PM

All the useless stats on BBC match reports. I enjoy the odd stat but it seems the BBC report stats just to fill up space. Read the Spurs report in the week. They began by telling us that Harry Kane scored his 200th goal. Then before they got around to telling us anything else about the match they told us two more times that it was his 200th goal. Then to really show that some little nerd had done his homework they informed us stat starved readers that it was 3,248 days since he scored his first goal. It's as annoying as a few years back when every match commentator would mention at least ten times during a game involving Utd that that little runt Ryan Giggs was forty years old. He came on with ten minutes to go against Palace once and in that time the commentator informed us three times how old the wanker was.
You don't mind if these stats are interesting but you read them thinking that someone is trying to justify a job. They do this by letting us know something like, it's the first time in four games that Leeds have had a goal disallowed or it's the first time this season that Liverpool have let in seven. Oh, and by the way. five years ago did you know that feckin Ryan Giggs was forty years old and was still a wanker.

Levski 08-11-2020 05:45 PM

That glitch that seems to exist in every football video game ever made: the ball is about to go out for a throw or goal kick from the oppo's touch, so you try to shepherd it out, but your player is drawn to the ball and touches it just as it goes over the line, thereby resulting in a throw or corner to the oppo. It seems to be present ever since the days of Kick Off / Sensible Soccer and still survives into the likes of Fifa 20!

PALACEWU 08-11-2020 05:56 PM

I hear you man.

Danny_Cheviot 08-11-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwoodeagle (Post 15492805)
Cook in the microwave for around 7 minutes and then put a little oil and salt on the skin and finish in a v hot oven for 15/20 minutes.

Thanks. :p

Will give it a go.

pallet 08-11-2020 06:34 PM

People putting christmas lights up on their houses already

Al the Post 08-11-2020 07:23 PM

people putting up Christmas lights full stop :wallbash:

Stellavista 08-11-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15496309)
People putting christmas lights up on their houses already

My annual battle to push back the date in our house has begun. I nearly always lose.

Olympian2 08-11-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15496251)
All the useless stats on BBC match reports. I enjoy the odd stat but it seems the BBC report stats just to fill up space. Read the Spurs report in the week. They began by telling us that Harry Kane scored his 200th goal. Then before they got around to telling us anything else about the match they told us two more times that it was his 200th goal. Then to really show that some little nerd had done his homework they informed us stat starved readers that it was 3,248 days since he scored his first goal. It's as annoying as a few years back when every match commentator would mention at least ten times during a game involving Utd that that little runt Ryan Giggs was forty years old. He came on with ten minutes to go against Palace once and in that time the commentator informed us three times how old the wanker was.
You don't mind if these stats are interesting but you read them thinking that someone is trying to justify a job. They do this by letting us know something like, it's the first time in four games that Leeds have had a goal disallowed or it's the first time this season that Liverpool have let in seven. Oh, and by the way. five years ago did you know that feckin Ryan Giggs was forty years old and was still a wanker.

Spot on.

PIE "N" MASH 08-11-2020 08:52 PM

........

PIE "N" MASH 08-11-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al the Post (Post 15496360)
people putting up Christmas lights full stop :wallbash:

Great 1st post,joined a football forum to post that.Well done sir:p

Olympian2 08-11-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 15496309)
People putting christmas lights up on their houses already


https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4a0fe24072.jpg

Oli28 09-11-2020 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 15496251)
All the useless stats on BBC match reports. I enjoy the odd stat but it seems the BBC report stats just to fill up space. Read the Spurs report in the week. They began by telling us that Harry Kane scored his 200th goal. Then before they got around to telling us anything else about the match they told us two more times that it was his 200th goal. Then to really show that some little nerd had done his homework they informed us stat starved readers that it was 3,248 days since he scored his first goal. It's as annoying as a few years back when every match commentator would mention at least ten times during a game involving Utd that that little runt Ryan Giggs was forty years old. He came on with ten minutes to go against Palace once and in that time the commentator informed us three times how old the wanker was.
You don't mind if these stats are interesting but you read them thinking that someone is trying to justify a job. They do this by letting us know something like, it's the first time in four games that Leeds have had a goal disallowed or it's the first time this season that Liverpool have let in seven. Oh, and by the way. five years ago did you know that feckin Ryan Giggs was forty years old and was still a wanker.

Generally I find it annoying when anyone states how many days it has been since something happened when that event took place months or even years ago.

See also, 'team X haven't scored a goal in 461 minutes of football'.

JJ 09-11-2020 04:00 AM

I find it annoying (or should I say truly, truly annoying) when someone uses the same word twice in a row just to make sure you've got the gist. For example, I think someone wrote after the Wolves game:

"It was an awful, awful performance."

I understood the point after the first "awful."

Maidstoned Eagle 09-11-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15496713)
I find it annoying (or should I say truly, truly annoying) when someone uses the same word twice in a row just to make sure you've got the gist. For example, I think someone wrote after the Wolves game:

"It was an awful, awful performance."

I understood the point after the first "awful."

Jamie Redknalp punditry "He's a top, top player"

KYLIE MINEAGLE 09-11-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli28 (Post 15496699)
Generally I find it annoying when anyone states how many days it has been since something happened when that event took place months or even years ago.

See also, 'team X haven't scored a goal in 461 minutes of football'.

That gets me . Over here you get Team X has'nt won here since 2018. What you mean the season before last.:rolleyes:

Brett 09-11-2020 08:19 AM

Builders again.

chateauferret 09-11-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli28 (Post 15496699)
Generally I find it annoying when anyone states how many days it has been since something happened when that event took place months or even years ago.

See also, 'team X haven't scored a goal in 461 minutes of football'.

It's worse when "team X" means "you".

big bad John 09-11-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15496713)
I find it annoying (or should I say truly, truly annoying) when someone uses the same word twice in a row just to make sure you've got the gist. For example, I think someone wrote after the Wolves game:

"It was an awful, awful performance."

I understood the point after the first "awful."


Funny it never bothers me when I go to my local corner shop and the nice owner tells me that I am "a very very good customer.":hmph:

Stavros 69 09-11-2020 06:52 PM

Someone in the building opposite has put up a ghastly flashing light in their window.
It’s not even a shape, just a tube that’s been forced around their Juliet balcony.
It flashes bight red, blue and green at 1 second intervals. It’s horrible.

BERT'S HEAD 09-11-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15497417)
Someone in the building opposite has put up a ghastly flashing light in their window.
Itís not even a shape, just a tube thatís been forced around their Juliet balcony.
It flashes bight red, blue and green at 1 second intervals. Itís horrible.

Retaliate with a lava lamp.

Maidstoned Eagle 09-11-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 15497488)
Retaliate with a lava lamp.

Or a spotlight

Hedgehog 09-11-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15497417)
Someone in the building opposite has put up a ghastly flashing light in their window.
Itís not even a shape, just a tube thatís been forced around their Juliet balcony.
It flashes bight red, blue and green at 1 second intervals. Itís horrible.

I assume it is intended to be Christmas lights?

PeterH 10-11-2020 03:01 AM

Microsoft Teams - specifically trying to log in via cellphone. Change password Auth code.. connection to meeting throws me out and says I cant use a personal email only work or school.

I dont have these issue with it on laptop.

TheMexicanHorse 10-11-2020 10:48 AM

The fact the bbc are about to carry out an investigation into some Diana interviews which took place over decades ago imb pretty sure there budget can be split further to cover more modern and relevant content to be honest

Isle of Wight 10-11-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15497649)
Microsoft Teams - specifically trying to log in via cellphone. Change password Auth code.. connection to meeting throws me out and says I cant use a personal email only work or school.

I dont have these issue with it on laptop.

Donít blame Teams itís your security thatís kicking you most likely. I knows and registered that you where in PC now it sees you on the phone it says no even though the passwords and 2FA are ok. Depends on what they are using but ask them to look that way.

Andy in Rome 10-11-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse (Post 15498138)
The fact the bbc are about to carry out an investigation into some Diana interviews which took place over decades ago imb pretty sure there budget can be split further to cover more modern and relevant content to be honest

...to be honest, what annoys me more is the fact that people are still getting hot under the collar about their preconceived - but unproven - notions around the Bashir interview decades ago, and are demanding that the BBC set up an investigation of it.

NRM the 2nd 10-11-2020 01:57 PM

Kit Kats. The only chocolate I know that's changes completely based on the weather. Problem is I like them. In spring and summer they are not to hard and not to soft, just right. Come the cold months they turn into these rock hard sticks thats taste of sh#te. How can this be

Olympian2 10-11-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRM the 2nd (Post 15498282)
Kit Kats. The only chocolate I know that's changes completely based on the weather. Problem is I like them. In spring and summer they are not to hard and not to soft, just right. Come the cold months they turn into these rock hard sticks thats taste of sh#te. How can this be

What is this madness? Only a fool eats a KitKat in summer. Gotta love those rock hard sticks, especially if you get an 'all chocolate' unexpected bonus :p

PeterH 10-11-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 15498157)
Donít blame Teams itís your security thatís kicking you most likely. I knows and registered that you where in PC now it sees you on the phone it says no even though the passwords and 2FA are ok. Depends on what they are using but ask them to look that way.

Is there an easy way to fix that so I can access by phone if I need to?

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 10-11-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 15496713)
I find it annoying (or should I say truly, truly annoying) when someone uses the same word twice in a row just to make sure you've got the gist.

That's a very very good point.

Maidstoned Eagle 10-11-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels (Post 15498297)
That's a very very good point.

A super duper pooper scooper of a point.

Maidstoned Eagle 10-11-2020 02:24 PM

Spanish mums sat at a table in the cafe all screeching at each other and not listening to what the others are saying...and the little Vox supporting **** who comes in and allows his little shit dog to wander round trying to snaffle dropped crumbs, moaning when i kicked the ******* thing.

Stavros 69 10-11-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15497551)
I assume it is intended to be Christmas lights?

Iíll take a photo tonight.
I have no idea what it is.

Stavros 69 10-11-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15498311)
Spanish mums sat at a table in the cafe all screeching at each other and not listening to what the others are saying...and the little Vox supporting **** who comes in and allows his little shit dog to wander round trying to snaffle dropped crumbs, moaning when i kicked the ******* thing.

Must be hard when you canít understand the language.

Maidstoned Eagle 10-11-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15498354)
Must be hard when you canít understand the language.

I wouldn't know. ;)

NRM the 2nd 10-11-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 15498286)
What is this madness? Only a fool eats a KitKat in summer. Gotta love those rock hard sticks, especially if you get an 'all chocolate' unexpected bonus :p

Haha soo much nicer in summer, just had to put mine next to the radiator for a few seconds today to thaw it out a bit :supergrin:

Hedgehog 10-11-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRM the 2nd (Post 15498282)
Kit Kats. The only chocolate I know that's changes completely based on the weather. Problem is I like them. In spring and summer they are not to hard and not to soft, just right. Come the cold months they turn into these rock hard sticks thats taste of sh#te. How can this be

I think Snickers (formally known as Marathon Bar) are the worse. Break a tooth on them when it's cold or just out of a cooled vending machine. I've been know to put then in the microwave before.

BERT'S HEAD 10-11-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15498440)
I think Snickers (formally known as Marathon Bar) are the worse. Break a tooth on them when it's cold or just out of a cooled vending machine. I've been know to put then in the microwave before.

A 20-second microwaved Mars Bar is a thing of beauty.

easysqueezy 10-11-2020 05:10 PM

Carefully positioned laser pointer perhaps?

Hedgehog 10-11-2020 05:51 PM

My wife again... complimenting and getting complimented by a friend on their face masks they're wearing!

Are they becoming a fashion statement now!

Hedgehog 10-11-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easysqueezy (Post 15498478)
Carefully positioned laser pointer perhaps?

To melt the Kit-Kat?

Purepalace 10-11-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 15498453)
A 20-second microwaved Mars Bar is a thing of beauty.

I recently tried that but with a cornetto in the microwave completely forgetting about the aluminium foil.

My that bang was loud.

Timbo 10-11-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15498440)
I think Snickers (formally known as Marathon Bar) are the worse. Break a tooth on them when it's cold or just out of a cooled vending machine. I've been know to put then in the microwave before.

Man!! What an idea, I cant wait to try :lux:

Lords Eagle 10-11-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 15498453)
A 20-second microwaved Mars Bar is a thing of beauty.

Toasted mars bar sandwich, spectacular

Maidstoned Eagle 10-11-2020 07:29 PM

BUNCH OF WRONG 'UNS

PeterH 10-11-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15498525)
To melt the Kit-Kat?

What? Your wife's and her friend's face masks?

Isle of Wight 11-11-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 15498290)
Is there an easy way to fix that so I can access by phone if I need to?

You need to speak to whoever is responsible for your companies security. They are the ones that put the settings in place. Itís can be set this way as default but they only have to tick or untick a box so itís not a huge thing.

Stockport_Eagle 11-11-2020 09:39 AM

Sports people actively thinking I give a monkeys what they think about 'life'...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54813575

That's not to say I don't care per-se, I wish them happiness and no harm, I just care no more or no less about their lives and opinions than I do anyone else I may pass on the street. As long as the CPFC first team all wake up feeling fit, energetic and positive on a Saturday morning, that's all I need from my favourite sportspeople, thanks very much. What Luka thinks about the environment or Wilf thinks about Joe Biden, I care very little.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.