CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Golf Boy 28-10-2014 05:01 AM

Why are they playing league games in London? Surely that means one of the teams losing home advantage in the fixture.

TeamSlack 28-10-2014 05:32 AM

yeah Golf Boy you're right. both squads lose a lot with the usual football ass-kicking and travel back and forth...NFL wants to see if expansion is a thing...I love it if not for the travel...want people to appreciate it but why?

dannyboy1807 28-10-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE BOY (Post 12044769)
Hope so, such a frustrating side to watch this season. Raiders at home next week, I fully expect us to make a real meal of it!

yep two home games now Raiders and Giants i'm expecting two wins.

Icy 28-10-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamSlack (Post 12046052)
yeah Golf Boy you're right. both squads lose a lot with the usual football ass-kicking and travel back and forth...NFL wants to see if expansion is a thing...I love it if not for the travel...want people to appreciate it but why?

Currently the teams get a bye week after London games and the distance isn't that different from coast to coast stateside. I'd also say that home field advantage doesn't confer the same advantages as football (At least psychologically, environmental conditions is a different matter).

The teams volunteer to give up their home games for the opportunity to play here so the financial incentive of a new market must be worthwhile, at least to some of the less successful / popular franchises.

I hope they carry on the move to get a UK franchise.


Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyboy1807 (Post 12046174)
yep two home games now Raiders and Giants i'm expecting two wins.

Oakland will be lucky to win a game all season at this rate. Tough few games coming up.

davematt 28-10-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 12046571)
Currently the teams get a bye week after London games and the distance isn't that different from coast to coast stateside. I'd also say that home field advantage doesn't confer the same advantages as football (At least psychologically, environmental conditions is a different matter).

The teams volunteer to give up their home games for the opportunity to play here so the financial incentive of a new market must be worthwhile, at least to some of the less successful / popular franchises.

I hope they carry on the move to get a UK franchise.




Oakland will be lucky to win a game all season at this rate. Tough few games coming up.

I still think logistically this is going to take some doing and is going to be a really difficult to work out.

You canít avoid or cure jet lag. And there is no way the NFL can conjure up a schedule where every team has a bye week after playing in London. The East Coast to London (and vice versa) is manageable, but Midwest to London and especially West Coast to London? It would be really tough doing that trip and having to play the following week. The jet lag alone knocks off 24/48 hours of the week, and any NFL coach will say that is time that canít be wasted for players to reset their body clocks in a regular weekís preparation for a game.

Then you have short weeks to deal with in regards to TNF and MNF. Although Iíd guess that the London franchise would not be involved with those games, as well as their opponents the week before or week after. More headaches for the schedule people!

Swanny32 28-10-2014 04:13 PM

Can't see it happening and don't want it to happen. Logistical nightmare for everyone involved and something that will no doubt fall on it's backside if it ever happens. On the radio yesterday they were talking about the potential of it happening and that the team would still have to have a US base so that the players didn't have to fly to the UK all the time. This would probably mean that despite it being a "UK Franchise" the training facility, players and coaches homes, blah blah blah would all remain in the US and the players would literally fly over for home games and then back to the US straight after. This would cure the jet lag issue I'd imagine as teams could arrange to fly in and out, keeping all their body clocks on US time.

Personally, I'm losing interest in the games they bring over here, I don't want to go and watch terrible teams get thumped, which is usually the case with the games that we have. The Detroit/Atlanta game and also the Steelers/Vikings game last year were good and I'd love to see more competitive games come over, unlikely to happen though, probably more chance of me packing up my things and moving to the States.

Funk Butter 28-10-2014 05:12 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/...sberger-charts

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/LPBZ...6160/1-2.0.png
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kikr...396886/2.0.png

Funk Butter 28-10-2014 07:30 PM

Jerry Jones should win the Nobel Prize for Medicine:
Quote:

"After we looked at the play and saw that was a knee kind of to the side of the back, then we felt better about it."
Obviously, JJ had to relay this information to Garrett in order to get Romo back in the game.

Icy 29-10-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davematt (Post 12046648)
I still think logistically this is going to take some doing and is going to be a really difficult to work out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32 (Post 12046756)
Can't see it happening and don't want it to happen...

Both good posts. I think the team would definitely have to be US based for a majority of the pre-season and regular season and just have Wembley as the ground.

As I understand it the travelling team would always be scheduled for an East coast game the week before so the time and travel are less however jet lag will still be a factor so I would guess its down to how much the NFL wants it.

I think there's the market to support it and it would help on the competitive game front unless we get the current Oakland Raiders franchise and team (although that would make the switching allegiance choice easy for me)

pauldrulez 29-10-2014 01:03 PM

I think a "17th game" concept will suit everyone. 2 bye weeks, 2 preseason games and one neutral site game.

Make use of Toronto, Hawaii, Mexico, LA, some of the college stadiums, then use Wembley (x2), Millennium/Olympic Stadium, Dublin etc

Funk Butter 29-10-2014 08:51 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-bac...9106--nfl.html

This part makes no sense:
Quote:

Including spending outside of the capital linked directly or indirectly to a franchise, Deloitte says a London team's total potential gross output in Britain is estimated to be 158 million pounds ($255 million) per season. Deloitte is assuming players and staff would play two games on four visits each season, rather than being based in London.
How does the country see an economic boost? The people aren't going to take their money overseas or anything if they can't go to an NFL game, I'm sure they're still going to spend it in England.

ardeo 30-10-2014 06:51 AM

People spending rather than saving. Same as when England do well in world cup or euros, everyone piles into pubs to watch the games and spends money they otherwise wouldn't.

How reliable the figures are is up for debate, but there is definitely an economic effect taking into account the multiplier effect.

Funk Butter 30-10-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez (Post 12047746)
I think a "17th game" concept will suit everyone. 2 bye weeks, 2 preseason games and one neutral site game.

Make use of Toronto, Hawaii, Mexico, LA, some of the college stadiums, then use Wembley (x2), Millennium/Olympic Stadium, Dublin etc

SCREW THAT!!!!! Those dirty foreigners have their own kickball, leave our sacred game alone!!!!

Tripod 10 30-10-2014 10:10 PM

Weeden should have stayed in the game. He had momentum. Start him against Arizona and give Romo a rest.
Jones will stop at nothing to have Romo under centre, even at 25% fit.
Oh, and while you are there Jones, FFS sign up Bryant and Murray long term as if you do not, it will be a number of years in the wilderness for Dallas.

pauldrulez 31-10-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripod 10 (Post 12049765)
Weeden should have stayed in the game. He had momentum. Start him against Arizona and give Romo a rest.
Jones will stop at nothing to have Romo under centre, even at 25% fit.
Oh, and while you are there Jones, FFS sign up Bryant and Murray long term as if you do not, it will be a number of years in the wilderness for Dallas.

Bryant - yes.

Murray hurts his long term value with every carry he takes

JohnInTheUSA 02-11-2014 04:13 PM

Brandon Weedon plays today... tee hee

LLCOOLSTEVE 02-11-2014 04:14 PM

Snow gamesssssssssssssssss or game

L'kooch 02-11-2014 08:36 PM

weeden MVP

NorthPalace23 02-11-2014 08:44 PM

No GB Packers game!

Will route for the New England Patriots.

L'kooch 02-11-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthPalace23 (Post 12052883)
No GB Packers game!

Will route for the New England Patriots.


http://rs481.pbsrc.com/albums/rr178/...-puke.gif~c200


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.