CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ashes 2021 - 4-0 (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285220)

LuieJack 15-12-2021 11:10 AM

All this talk of using a "part time" spinner in Test cricket is barmy, it is crucial to have a main line spinner in the line up for a balanced bowling attack.
The facts to consider are (1) The Australian heat which can be very sapping on energy. (2) We have our Two best bowlers Anderson and Broad who are at an age when they should have been putting their feet up years ago, but the fact is we desperatly need them and where would we be without them? also we now have Stokes back in the fold as an important part of our bowling attack, which suggests ALL Three of these players need to be treated carefully in how they are used so as to get the best out of them.
And this is where the inclusion of a "proper" spinner takes that burden away as he would be capable of comfortably bowling 25/30 overs per innings which then provides the pacemen with much needed rest and eases the burden on them. Yes we know Joe Root can do a job for say 6/8 overs but it need better at this level, also how much more of a burden can/should we put on our One true World class batsman.
Unfortunately we have just not been able to unearth a Test quality spinner for some time now, and that has been of a real concern when playing Test cricket and is something we must try to rectify as soon as possible, but how often have we said that.
But as for this Ashes series especially in Australia, we always knew it was a bridge too far with this current unpredictable and sub standard group of players apart from possibly Four of the usual we know who players.

Olympian2 15-12-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 16150843)
All this talk of using a "part time" spinner in Test cricket is barmy, it is crucial to have a main line spinner in the line up for a balanced bowling attack.
The facts to consider are (1) The Australian heat which can be very sapping on energy. (2) We have our Two best bowlers Anderson and Broad who are at an age when they should have been putting their feet up years ago, but the fact is we desperatly need them and where would we be without them? also we now have Stokes back in the fold as an important part of our bowling attack, which suggests ALL Three of these players need to be treated carefully in how they are used so as to get the best out of them.
And this is where the inclusion of a "proper" spinner takes that burden away as he would be capable of comfortably bowling 25/30 overs per innings which then provides the pacemen with much needed rest and eases the burden on them. Yes we know Joe Root can do a job for say 6/8 overs but it need better at this level, also how much more of a burden can/should we put on our One true World class batsman.
Unfortunately we have just not been able to unearth a Test quality spinner for some time now, and that has been of a real concern when playing Test cricket and is something we must try to rectify as soon as possible, but how often have we said that.
But as for this Ashes series especially in Australia, we always knew it was a bridge too far with this current unpredictable and sub standard group of players apart from possibly Four of the usual we know who players.

Depending on the pitch, of course....

But the bottom line is :

1 - We don't have one. We haven't had one since Swann retired 8 years ago.
2 - The ECB white-ball priority & red ball schedule is not conducive to us finding one.

art malice 15-12-2021 12:15 PM

Travis Head talking about how spin plays a massive part at his home ground. It would be bafflingly unfair to pick Leach for Brisbane then drop him for Adelaide, which is exactly why they will do it probably.

Aki Aki Aki 15-12-2021 12:25 PM

Matt Parkinson should be playing if a spinner is to be selected. Why he isn't in the squad (along with Saqib Mahmood) is incredible. Yet Dom Bess is there instead, another who offers next to nothing in terms of control or variation to take wickets.

GB2506 15-12-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16150904)
Travis Head talking about how spin plays a massive part at his home ground. It would be bafflingly unfair to pick Leach for Brisbane then drop him for Adelaide, which is exactly why they will do it probably.

Leach isn't a top international spin bowler though. Play the 4 seamers and let Root bowl 12-15 overs. He would probably keep it tighter than Leach and be more of a wicket threat. The pink ball will move about and Anderson, Broad, Robinson and Woakes all get plenty of movement.

As others have said Parkinson should be out there instead of Leach or Bess.

stinky 15-12-2021 01:55 PM

Can someone please work out what time the lunch interval will be our time tomorrow morning. I'm trying to plan my alarm call and am too lazy to do it myself.

Palace Kebab 15-12-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 16151007)
Can someone please work out what time the lunch interval will be our time tomorrow morning. I'm trying to plan my alarm call and am too lazy to do it myself.

6am surely...just add two hours

stinky 15-12-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palace Kebab (Post 16151018)

I promise I'm not as stupid as I may currently seem

crystaljim 15-12-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palace Kebab (Post 16151018)

10.5 hours difference between UK and South Australia.

stinky 15-12-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystaljim (Post 16151023)
10.5 hours difference between UK and South Australia.

WHAT IS HAPPENING.

davech 15-12-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 16151058)
WHAT IS HAPPENING.

4am start. 6am lunch. Our time.

Stockport_Eagle 15-12-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky (Post 16151007)

Day-Night game starting at 4am it says here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/...res/2021-12-16

Two hour first session until 6am, 40 minutes for lunch and middle session to start at 6:40am presumably?

Olympian2 15-12-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 16150904)

Well he would say that, wouldn't he?

With apologies to Mandy-Rice Davies for the mis-quote....

stinky 15-12-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16151102)
4am start. 6am lunch. Our time.

10.5 hour time diff though. So would lunch be 6 or 6.30?!

davech 15-12-2021 03:37 PM

BBC says start time is 04.00GMT. Australia start time likely to be strange as it is a day-nighter. 04:00 start London = 2:30pm Adelaide.

Lunch 06:00 our time.

ebyeeckeagle 15-12-2021 04:41 PM

Is south Australia one of the last place son earth to have bloody half hour time zones?

davech 15-12-2021 04:46 PM

I believe India does too

ebyeeckeagle 15-12-2021 04:52 PM

You learn something new etc.

Latvian 15-12-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 16151219)
Is south Australia one of the last place son earth to have bloody half hour time zones?

Iran and N. Korea too methinks.

El Aguila 15-12-2021 05:00 PM

ebyeeck getting savaged here.