CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ashes 2021 - 4-0 (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285220)

davech 15-01-2022 10:33 AM

Just beggars belief how bad we are. No clue how to play or build a test innings. Schoolboy stuff. Play a few shots, maybe get to double figures (20+ if it goes well), get out, trudge off to a "Bad luck. Well played" from the sports master. Still, at least we have scored more than Travis Head and Cameron Green now.

And, as I type, another one bites the dust to an idiotic one-day shot. THIS IS A TEST MATCH FFS!! Plus ca change and all that. 300+ totals are a distant memory.

Could we beat anyone at the moment?

Aki Aki Aki 15-01-2022 10:35 AM

I hope this isn't Kent's finest only Test, he's played well today despite being caught on the boundary. There was a good article in the Telegraph about him this week, even going as far as suggesting he could be a potential England captain. I know i'm slightly biased, but I think he has what it takes, and at 30 still has years ahead of him. We need new ideas as part of the huge reshuffle ahead

davech 15-01-2022 10:38 AM

Oh, and I found out something else today. Burns can't run either.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 15-01-2022 10:38 AM

How does that work. The counties bring in overseas players to strengthen their teams. Who would NSW say want from England who would improve them. Half the current team are NSW even Tasmania have a decent Shield side. You and I both know that it's an excuse because the ECB has sold out to the short form games for the $$ now the chickens have come home to roost. Finally why ban Australian players , all the test playing countries have county players.

davech 15-01-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16213863)
How does that work. The counties bring in overseas players to strengthen their teams. Who would NSW say want from England who would improve them. Half the current team are NSW even Tasmania have a decent Shield side. You and I both know that it's an excuse because the ECB has sold out to the short form games for the $$ now the chickens have come home to roost. Finally why ban Australian players , all the test playing countries have county players.

Spot on. Our players could learn a lot from overseas players, if they had the capacity or will to learn. Rewind a generation (or two). Who could fail to learn from the likes of Gary Sobers, etc in the team? Players need role models to bring them along. Home-grown ones are few and far between.

ExiledStirling 15-01-2022 10:52 AM

That decision was almost similar to VAR ruling offside because a players finger nails were in an offside position.

davech 15-01-2022 10:54 AM

Another brief appearance from Broady :D

davech 15-01-2022 10:58 AM

Perhaps this 'cricket in the dark' has SOMETHING going for it. The fielders lose the ball in the dark.

And it's over. Can't even manage 200, let alone 300. Pathetic.

davech 15-01-2022 11:04 AM

The hope now is we can make early inroads again and this time not let them off the hook. Only pride left to play for now. Come on!!

Aki Aki Aki 15-01-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 16213863)

Root and maybe Stokes aside, agreed about no England player being good enough KM. But it should be all overseas players, not just Aussies. It won't ever happen because of £, but I don't see many overseas players turning out for domestic teams outside of England over the years. In some ways we are our own worst enemy. An overseas player may well bring skills and knowledge, but their personal benefit far outweighs that in my opinion. Perhaps the county championship should be reduced in size, make it regional and play it on true wickets in the middle of summer. A failure in county cricket is often overlooked as there is always another game straight after to make amends. In Sheffield Shield there are only a few games to play all season, the competition is way harder, and there is a genuine price on your wicket.

davech 15-01-2022 11:06 AM

Pair for Warner please :D

davech 15-01-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16213897)
Pair for Warner please :D

:lux::lux::lux::lux:

Apparently the first opener to have two 'pairs' in the Ashes. (Thanks, TMS)

kabbott 15-01-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16213892)
The hope now is we can make early inroads again and this time not let them off the hook. Only pride left to play for now. Come on!!

They probably don't even need to bat a second time. Their lead is already over a hundred!

crystaljim 15-01-2022 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16213900)

Considering the competition, that's an impressive record.

Worksop Palace 15-01-2022 11:23 AM

Bowlers doing their bit again.

davech 15-01-2022 11:23 AM

Lagershandy gone now. Keep at it.

Aki Aki Aki 15-01-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 16213900)

All three #1 batters out for nothing, I wonder if Burns can make it four (very possible :D ). Would that be a Test record ?

crystaljim 15-01-2022 11:30 AM

So many lazy caught legside dismissals by both sides this series.

Worksop Palace 15-01-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16213934)
All three #1 batters out for nothing, I wonder if Burns can make it four (very possible :D ). Would that be a Test record ?

If anyone can do it, it’s Burns

Jordan's Jacket 15-01-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aki Aki Aki (Post 16213857)
I hope this isn't Kent's finest only Test, he's played well today despite being caught on the boundary. There was a good article in the Telegraph about him this week, even going as far as suggesting he could be a potential England captain. I know i'm slightly biased, but I think he has what it takes, and at 30 still has years ahead of him. We need new ideas as part of the huge reshuffle ahead

As a Kent fan I have to disagree. He is not a test player.