CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

zonin2000 25-03-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveyHawking
Mike Bell now officially an Eagle. Good signing as backup to McCoy and more a power runner than has been seen in Philly for a loooong time.

Weaver?

pauldrulez 25-03-2010 12:33 AM

4 teams interested in McNabb.

Pay no attention to the supposed Rams trade of #33 and Atogwe for McNabb. It's not true at all. They are interested though, as are the Bills.

I'd take #33 for McNabb and run to the bank if I was Philly.

#33 this year is like a first round pick any other year. This is the most talented draft in a while.

SteveyHawking 25-03-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonin2000
Weaver?

But Weaver's a full back. I was talking about running backs in Philly.

ardeo 25-03-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
4 teams interested in McNabb.

Pay no attention to the supposed Rams trade of #33 and Atogwe for McNabb. It's not true at all. They are interested though, as are the Bills.

I'd take #33 for McNabb and run to the bank if I was Philly.

#33 this year is like a first round pick any other year. This is the most talented draft in a while.

That would be very good, if we can pick up a safety and LB or DE, with Kolb at QB next season i'd be pretty pleased, playoffs for sure!

Swanny32 25-03-2010 10:37 AM

Awww lads, stop trying to get my hopes up! You know it's not going to happen!

Swanny32 25-03-2010 01:24 PM

FYI on new rules passed this week:

Quote:

ORLANDO, Fla. – Overtime and player safety were the themes at the NFL meetings this week. Barely mentioned was labor.
Even though these are the last scheduled meetings of all key league personnel outside of the players — commissioner Roger Goodell, all 32 owners, team general managers and coaches — before the collective bargaining agreement expires next March, labor was not much of an issue.

Sure, a work stoppage could be in the mix by this time next year. But other than reinforcing their unanimity, the owners concentrated on the field.

"We have to find common ground with the NFLPA," Goodell said Wednesday. "The real issue for us is to get back and focus on those things we can do to grow the game and grow the opportunities for everyone participating. We want a fair agreement that everyone is going to do well in, including the players."
Those players should be safer during games thanks to several rules changes. And they also might be playing longer in regular-season overtimes.

The NFL passed rules Wednesday to further protect defenseless players, including ball carriers who lose their helmet during a play.

The key rules change bars a defenseless player from being hit in the head or neck area by an opponent who launches himself and uses his helmet, shoulder or forearm to make contact. Previously, those kind of tackles were banned against receivers who couldn't protect themselves, but now it will apply to everyone.

"These are very specific to very vulnerable moments in the game," Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said. "There's no reason not to protect these players. There's a history of potentially serious injuries in these types of collisions."
NFL rules also will now echo those in college when a player running with the ball loses his helmet. The whistle will blow immediately and the ball will be placed at the "progress spot" where the helmet came off.
A safety move to protect the umpire also was made. He now will be stationed behind the offensive backfield rather than in the linebackers area. The competition committee saw "a hundred" examples of umpires being run over, co-chairman Rich McKay said.

As for the overtime modification, several owners said they also expect the rule instituted the previous day for the playoffs to be revisited in May to include the regular season.
"It's a better system, so why not have a better system every game?" Lurie said of expanding the new OT rule that allows a team losing the coin toss and allowing a field goal on the first series to then get a possession.
New York Giants owner John Mara added he expects discussion and possibly a vote on using the new OT system to occur at the owners meetings in Dallas in May. The change was proposed only for the postseason by the competition committee and was passed 28-4 Tuesday.

Goodell said the league wants to meet with the players and the networks for some input and further discuss the ramifications of expanding the OT change.

"We had a proposal for the postseason, we passed that with the understanding that it'll be discussed for the regular season," he said.

Goodell also mentioned scheduling only intradivision games on the final weekend of the season, and placing many such games in Week 16, as well. He said at the end of last season he was concerned about teams not playing their regulars after clinching titles and is hopeful such scheduling would help avoid that.
The 2010 schedule will be released in April.
Also passed Wednesday:

During a field goal or extra point attempt, the defensive team can't position any player on the line directly across from the snapper. Previously, a player needed to have his helmet outside the snapper's shoulder pads.

A dead ball personal foul on the final play of the second or fourth quarters will cause a 15-yard penalty on the second half or overtime kickoff. Previously in those situations, no penalty was enforced, although players subsequently could be fined by Goodell.

If a punt returner makes a fair catch signal and muffs the ball, he is entitled to "reasonable opportunity" to catch the muff before it hits the ground without interference of the coverage team. The ball will be rewarded at the spot of the interference, but there will be no penalty yardage marked off.

When a ball strikes a videoboard (as one punt did last preseason at the new Cowboys Stadium), guide wire or sky cam, the play is whistled dead and replayed. The game clock is reset to when that play started.
The replay judge will be allowed to initiate a review if he believes there was some sort of interference with the ball. This is the only case outside of the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters and overtime that the booth can order a replay. Coaches can also challenge whether there was interference with the ball.

If the clock is stopped in the final minute of either half for a replay review, but would not have stopped without the review, officials will run off 10 seconds before resuming play. Either team could take a timeout to void the 10-second runoff.

jazman 25-03-2010 02:49 PM

Will be very interesting to see how it works. The potential for more drawn games you think? Or just makes the decision to go for a FG rather than try for a TD that much more difficult to make for some teams I guess ...

Latvian Eagle 25-03-2010 03:11 PM

Any news relating to the Panthers lately I should know about?

Swanny32 25-03-2010 03:12 PM

Don't think so Jimbo, all gone very quiet at the moment, I think most of the teams are gearing up for the draft.

pauldrulez 25-03-2010 03:36 PM

OT rules - like. If you can't stop a TD, you don't deserve a chance for your offense.

Player Safety rules - not so much. How does the ref now enforce the rules? Like Pass Interference, it's a matter of judgment and can only cause more chaos.

Another rule is that the Umpire has been moved from the Defensive Backfield to the Offensive backfield. Which affects the Patriots and to a lesser extent, the Colts. The Patriots use the Umpire on the Welker plays across the middle, run the defender into the ref and the WR gets away from the defender.
The Colts sometimes use the ref, but their pick plays are technically illegal where the first receiver runs into the defender allowing the 2nd to get open. But, what the hey, it's a good tactic at the end of the day.

jazman 25-03-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

OT rules - like. If you can't stop a TD, you don't deserve a chance for your offense.

Player Safety rules - not so much. How does the ref now enforce the rules? Like Pass Interference, it's a matter of judgment and can only cause more chaos.

Another rule is that the Umpire has been moved from the Defensive Backfield to the Offensive backfield. Which affects the Patriots and to a lesser extent, the Colts. The Patriots use the Umpire on the Welker plays across the middle, run the defender into the ref and the WR gets away from the defender.
The Colts sometimes use the ref, but their pick plays are technically illegal where the first receiver runs into the defender allowing the 2nd to get open. But, what the hey, it's a good tactic at the end of the day.

Moral of the story. Don't use the referee in your plays. Simples.

pauldrulez 25-03-2010 03:50 PM

It's technically legal though.

It's called intelligence. The Saints used it as well.

The best teams used it :p

Swanny32 25-03-2010 03:54 PM

It's crafty and I'm sure we'll so how good you really are with the ref out of the way......albeit only on the odd play here and there.

jazman 25-03-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

It's technically legal though.

It's called intelligence. The Saints used it as well.

The best teams used it :p

While the Colts play was illegal. You do suprise me :rolleyes:

pauldrulez 25-03-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
It's crafty and I'm sure we'll so how good you really are with the ref out of the way......albeit only on the odd play here and there.

I doubt we'll be seeing Wes anytime soon, though a great factoid.

Like last year, Brady has been working out in LA (at UCLA), with Wes Welker and Matt Cassel. Good to see the 3 musketeers back together again :)

pauldrulez 25-03-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
While the Colts play was illegal. You do suprise me :rolleyes:

Let me explain the differences.

Colts play: Collie lines up in front of Wayne in a stacked set. Ball is snapped, Collie runs forward and runs straight into the first CB and carries on downfield taking the nickelback/safety with him. The first CB is then knocked out of the play leaving Wayne to take a quick slant or an out. Easy completion/first down. The time it went wrong, Superbowl. Collie came in motion, Wayne failed to clear the first receiver and couldn't run the out, Collie was knocked off his route so Manning went to Wayne who wasn't in any position to catch it. Wayne is committing Offensive Pass Interference as he is preventing the defender from making the play by knocking him out of the way.

Patriots play: Welker and Edelman lined up to the left. Welker comes in motion and runs behind Edelman to squeeze the field. Edelman slants to the left, Welker keeps running and takes the Defender with him. Welker runs behind/in front of the ref causing a gap between the 2 players. Effectively making the ref a blocker for Welker. Perfectly legal.

jazman 25-03-2010 04:46 PM

I fail to understand how you can say that the Colts play is illegal and the Pats one isn't. But I will bow to your superior knowledge of the subject ...

Swanny32 25-03-2010 04:50 PM

Actually, I'm in agreement with Paul here, Pats don't actually make an illegal contact where as the Colts do.

Swanny32 25-03-2010 04:53 PM

Just watched a Total Access video on NFL.com about the McNabb situation and although I think he'll be our starting QB next year it's refreshing to hear that some teams are actively seeking his services and boy do I hope something is sorted soon so Kolb can start concentrating on next season. I'd love to trade Vick as well and bring in a shiny new QB with our third or fourth round draft pick.

Getting the 33rd pick from the Rams would be brilliant but Rams say they haven't spoken to us regarding McNabb.

I'm all of a sudden getting really excited about the next couple of weeks to see what comes of it all.

jazman 25-03-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
Actually, I'm in agreement with Paul here, Pats don't actually make an illegal contact where as the Colts do.

But using a ref as a blocker?

So why do the Colts not get flagged for the play?