CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

jazman 13-08-2010 10:51 PM

Not that worried by the loss if I'm honest. These pre-season games are really for the teams to test some plays and for the coaching staff to iron out their final rosters ... I can't say that I'd watch a friendly as I never watch football friendlies. Just find them boring for me. But if the teams get something out of them, then so be it ... I'd much rather we lost pre-season games and work on changing things and/or the personnel knowing that they need to step up for the actual season ...

But hell yeah, football's back baby :lux:

jazman 13-08-2010 11:07 PM

I liked the 'Inside Training Camp' on NFL Total Access tonight. Interesting to watch the Pats v Saints in training mode against each other ...

pauldrulez 13-08-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
I liked the 'Inside Training Camp' on NFL Total Access tonight. Interesting to watch the Pats v Saints in training mode against each other ...

BB and Payton are very alike in what they do.

Both from the Parcells tree of coaching as well.

Both got the balls to go for it and to hell with the consequences.

pauldrulez 13-08-2010 11:33 PM

Christ.

Ty Warren goes to IR.

That's what happens when you don't do off-season conditioning.

Burgess has decided he doesn't want to retire.

Patriots gotta go to 4-3, surely.

jazman 13-08-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
BB and Payton are very alike in what they do.

Both from the Parcells tree of coaching as well.

Both got the balls to go for it and to hell with the consequences.

Admit it was like flag football and no real contact but great to see two teams do this ... and did I see Wes Welker in there playing??

pauldrulez 14-08-2010 12:23 AM

Yep.

He's in there full contact now.

I doubt he plays preseason other than a few plays Week 3.

He's incredible

pauldrulez 15-08-2010 01:19 AM

Thought I'd flick on the Miami game quickly.

It looks like they're playing in the Everglades.

It's pissing down.

elliott 15-08-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Patriots gotta go to 4-3, surely.

It's just not that simple though. It's really very difficult to switch between defensive fronts, and it can take a whole season to implement and get used to change. Your personnel are very front specific too. For instance, Brian Urlacher is very much a 4-3 MLB. He'd struggle in a 3-4. The biggest effect is on your defensive line. In a 4 front you generally will have a 3 tech (outside the guard) and a 1 tech (just off the centre) in the middle, each responsible for defensing one gap. In an odd front you switch up to having a 0 tech in the middle who has double gap responsibilities. This means he is defending two running lanes, which isn't easy. You then have 5 techs, who often are two gap defenders too.

elliott 15-08-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Thought I'd flick on the Miami game quickly.

It looks like they're playing in the Everglades.

It's pissing down.

Yup, and another game ruined by that god-damn dirt.

Strathclyde Eagle 15-08-2010 11:17 AM

Based on the fact I hate the Marlins as a fan of teams in two sports I might hate them more than Brighton.

I can't wait until they move out. :lux:

jazman 16-08-2010 12:53 AM

Well, against my beter judgement and principles, I have finally taken the big step and signed up to ESPN ... Change of heart? Not really, but can kind of justify it seeing as I just got 25% off my monthly TV subscription for 12 months ... ;)

Any pointers towards some good shows on ESPN America wouldn't go a miss. But something I have noted, isn't showing Little League baseball a little too far? :D

y2rich 16-08-2010 12:58 AM

Jazman, watch Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. Both quality shows.

pauldrulez 16-08-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
It's just not that simple though. It's really very difficult to switch between defensive fronts, and it can take a whole season to implement and get used to change. Your personnel are very front specific too. For instance, Brian Urlacher is very much a 4-3 MLB. He'd struggle in a 3-4. The biggest effect is on your defensive line. In a 4 front you generally will have a 3 tech (outside the guard) and a 1 tech (just off the centre) in the middle, each responsible for defensing one gap. In an odd front you switch up to having a 0 tech in the middle who has double gap responsibilities. This means he is defending two running lanes, which isn't easy. You then have 5 techs, who often are two gap defenders too.

I know that... well, the first sentence anyway.

But, the Patriots spend a lot of time in the 4-3 anyway, it was nearly 50-50 last year.

The way I look at it, is that Vince can play DT in the 4-3. We then put a guy like Mike Wright next to him and use Pryor/G.Warren/Lewis in passing situations.

Our OLBs are pretty much 4-3 DE guys anyway. Burgess, Cunningham and TBC anyway.

4-3 LB would be tough to fill, but Spikes could probably play the Inside guy. Guyton would be the weak-side LB. It's whether Mayo could be a strong-side guy and if that would allow us to use him at his full potential.

Hedgehog 16-08-2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
isn't showing Little League baseball a little too far? :D

It's a big deal here.

oz_da II 16-08-2010 05:59 AM

ESPN broadcasts Spelling Bees as well. Always riveting viewing...

pauldrulez 16-08-2010 11:08 AM

As you can gather from me posting at 4am, I wasn't sleeping very well.

I saw both Brady Quinn and Tim Teblow playing for Denver.

They were both awful.

Swanny32 16-08-2010 11:29 AM

It's always been Ortons job to lose though, no shock that Quinn and Tebow were pants, we knew Quinn sucked already and Tebow has to adjust. Unless Orton picks up an injury at some point then he'll be the starter there all season.

oz_da II 16-08-2010 12:05 PM

Tebow was the only rookie quarterback on the weekend to be involved in a touchdown drive, so he wasn't the only young QB stinkin it up.

Take note, that could be the one and only time I have or ever will be a Tebow apologist. :p

pauldrulez 16-08-2010 12:31 PM

You could argue, that Tebow was the only one playing against 3rd stringers...

Bradford was against the 1st/2nd stringers through his drives.

Clausen was against the 2nd stringers.

Not sure about McCoy...

Strathclyde Eagle 16-08-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2rich
Jazman, watch Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. Both quality shows.

Indeed. And College Gameday coming back shortly too.

Lots of the 30 for 30 documentaries have been fantastic as well (clogging up my Sky+ at present, really need to see the Ricky Williams one - the clips I saw of it make him look like a totally different, and thankfully much happier person, five years on).