CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Neil 17-01-2011 09:41 AM

Great performance.

kayjay 17-01-2011 09:45 AM

Who would have thought a month ago the cheeseheads could go in Superbowl
favourites?

ardeo 17-01-2011 09:46 AM

I reckon Steelers will be too good for Jets in a tight game. Just can't see Jets doing anything on offence against an elite defence and Rapistburger should be able to get Steelers a few points. Packers are surely too good for Bears, although it's tough to keep winning on the road.

oz_da II 17-01-2011 09:46 AM

Steelers are very banged up...

jazman 17-01-2011 09:51 AM

Backing the NFC all the way .... my son vs Mrs JM in the NFC championship game .. :eek:

oz_da II 17-01-2011 09:54 AM

Packers and Bears haven't met in the playoffs since 1941.
Played at Wrigley Field one week after the attack on Pearl Harbor. :eek:

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
Steelers are very banged up...

Yep, and they are coming off a real brutal, violent game as well.

After sleeping on it, I'm real proud of the team. No-one expected them to lead the AFC, especially after trading Randy.

The injuries on the Defense had to catch up at some point unfortunately. There is only so much you can scheme for when you're down 4 starters and the backups get hurt as well.

Need a DE, OLB, OT, G at some point in the draft as well as a developmental Center.

Would love a deep threat, but i don't see it happening right now.

oz_da II 17-01-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
Packers and Bears haven't met in the playoffs since 1941.
Played at Wrigley Field one week after the attack on Pearl Harbor. :eek:

Which was the one and only time.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...sBears1941.jpg

peagle 17-01-2011 10:39 AM

Hi everyone, wasn't last night fun? Obviously it's really easy to be negative about your team when they suffer a big loss but I'm trying to stay calm here. The thing is, given who's in this team and that they weren't expected before the season to do anything like this I wouldn't be upset if we'd lost at any point of the play-offs... except to the Jets.

It worries me that Brady played so badly last night. I don't know enough about the technicalities of Defence and of a passer's reads but he wasn't getting the ball out of his hands early on and looked very rattled. He choked today as shown by his early interception and much like last year had a bad game in January which ultimately cost us.

The other problem was that obviously we saw what happens when the turnovers dry up and you give away the ball. I think Woodhead caught something in the Dolphins game because he was lucky to get away with one today.

Finally (for now atleast) Belichick was rattled. Obviously it's hard to blame a guy who's almost the sole reason you're in the play-offs in the first place, but I think he made a number of mistakes, symbolised by his decision to challenge that first down pass in the first half. He shouldn't have sat Welker for the first series and I have no idea why Spikes wasn't in until the third quarter, was it meant to be another punishment? The play-calling and decision making in general was poor last night and ultimately that was probably the main reason we lost for me (which worryingly means Rex was right).

Hope the Steelers win the Championship game obviously and then get taken apart by The Pack.

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
Hi everyone, wasn't last night fun? Obviously it's really easy to be negative about your team when they suffer a big loss but I'm trying to stay calm here. The thing is, given who's in this team and that they weren't expected before the season to do anything like this I wouldn't be upset if we'd lost at any point of the play-offs... except to the Jets.

It worries me that Brady played so badly last night. I don't know enough about the technicalities of Defence and of a passer's reads but he wasn't getting the ball out of his hands early on and looked very rattled. He choked today as shown by his early interception and much like last year had a bad game in January which ultimately cost us.

The other problem was that obviously we saw what happens when the turnovers dry up and you give away the ball. I think Woodhead caught something in the Dolphins game because he was lucky to get away with one today.

Finally (for now atleast) Belichick was rattled. Obviously it's hard to blame a guy who's almost the sole reason you're in the play-offs in the first place, but I think he made a number of mistakes, symbolised by his decision to challenge that first down pass in the first half. He shouldn't have sat Welker for the first series and I have no idea why Spikes wasn't in until the third quarter, was it meant to be another punishment? The play-calling and decision making in general was poor last night and ultimately that was probably the main reason we lost for me (which worryingly means Rex was right).

Hope the Steelers win the Championship game obviously and then get taken apart by The Pack.

Spikes wasn't in because he was terrible in practice and hadn't come back in football shape.

The Fake Punt was called by Patrick Chung.

Pats and Falcons staff are coaching the Pro Bowl.

Time to do some recruiting Bill. As long as it isn't Adalius Thomas like last time.

peagle 17-01-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
The Fake Punt was called by Patrick Chung.

I love Chung but if that's the case he just crashed and burned in my standings. No wonder Bill was so non-committal and frustrated by it in his presser.

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 11:16 AM

It would have worked if the blocking was better.

Even with the fumble.

To me, it looked like an option to the right.

Mesko was running right as well as Chung was supposed to.

But he dropped the ball and Smith broke through the pathetic blocking.

It was a risk worth taking when you look back at it. We needed a momentum swing.

ardeo 17-01-2011 11:19 AM

I hated that call, thought if they were going to go for it, put it in Brady's hands. Although to be fair the Jets coverage was excellent, the number of times Brady wandered about the pocket looking for a pass and finding noone open was astounding. Was surprised the TEs disappeared a bit, as that was the match up that I was expecting to see do most for the Pats. Where was Hernandez?

peagle 17-01-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
It would have worked if the blocking was better.

Even with the fumble.

To me, it looked like an option to the right.

Mesko was running right as well as Chung was supposed to.

But he dropped the ball and Smith broke through the pathetic blocking.

It was a risk worth taking when you look back at it. We needed a momentum swing.

IT was meant to go right so when he fumbles it and ends up being forced left it's always going to be tough to block, especially as it gives them extra time to react.

It wasn't needed, we weren't out of the game and had half time to regroup and change things. All it did was give the Jets additional momentum, confidence and belief. It's about risk and benefit and likelihood and it was a dumb, emotional, panicky move which pretty much sums up our performance last night.

Snikt5 17-01-2011 11:19 AM

As a Jets fan, the Pats never looked liked themselves until the 3rd quarter. Brady had very odd body language all day. I know he is normally laconic but he did not seemed pumped at all. Sometimes he was just throwing the ball away when he was not being immediately pressured (more in frustration) when the WRs were covered

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
IT was meant to go right so when he fumbles it and ends up being forced left it's always going to be tough to block, especially as it gives them extra time to react.

It wasn't needed, we weren't out of the game and had half time to regroup and change things. All it did was give the Jets additional momentum, confidence and belief. It's about risk and benefit and likelihood and it was a dumb, emotional, panicky move which pretty much sums up our performance last night.

If you watch it, Smith breaks through from the Jets left/Pats right and it would have been tough for him to do.

Next year will be our year, hopefully

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 01:15 PM

Going to do it.

Putting myself through the replay of it.

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 01:25 PM

That Screen Pass is his worst pass of the season.

pauldrulez 17-01-2011 01:34 PM

And Captain Crump dropping the easy TD.

You rewatch the first quarter and wonder how the hell it went so wrong.

jazman 17-01-2011 01:49 PM

I can't recall what part of the game it was but there was a play where the camera panned out showing how well covered the Pats players were and Brady simply had nowhere to go as the pocket came tumbling down around him ... summed it up for me.