CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

y2rich 12-03-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peagle
Personally blaming the NFLPA, how about you guys?

Agreed. You've got all these players saying that they just want to play...then accept the deal and play, don't throw all your toys out the pram and cry off because you're not getting an extra 15mil on the Salary cap.

ardeo 12-03-2011 01:16 PM

:(

peagle 12-03-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2rich
Agreed. You've got all these players saying that they just want to play...then accept the deal and play, don't throw all your toys out the pram and cry off because you're not getting an extra 15mil on the Salary cap.

It's not just that. Owners put their money up front, more and more they, not the local authorities are having to spend on facilities. Everything that is there is only there because of them (as much as only the players will play). The players get a very reasonable chunk, the owners by the sounds of it made proposals which by the sounds of it to me were more than agreeable. Nothing from what I've heard from the NFLPA has made me understand why the offer was/had to be turned down. It's the non-football staff surrounding the club and the fans that will suffer. All those whose jobs indirectly rely on the NFL should be the ones litigating not the players!

elliott 12-03-2011 03:31 PM

bring it on. can't wait for replacement football. so much more fun!

Swanny32 12-03-2011 04:27 PM

I don't know, I'm thinking most of the blame should lay on the shoulders of the NFLPA but at the same time the NFL and owners were asking for a huge amount of money, originally double what they were getting before and then knocked down to about 80% extra. That's a lot of money and would effect the amount of money the players would get in the future. Admittedly the players already earn enough as it is (see how much the Vikings paid Favre for 2 years work, 2nd year debatable as to whether you call it work or not) but the players and the players association have to look after themselves and from what I have heard a lot of the extra money the owners were asking for was going to reduce the amount veterans of the game get (or something like that). For me, they are both to blame but the PA has to take the majority of the blame, and to be headed up by Manning, Brees and Brady.......just oozes greed really.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 12-03-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
I don't know, I'm thinking most of the blame should lay on the shoulders of the NFLPA but at the same time the NFL and owners were asking for a huge amount of money, originally double what they were getting before and then knocked down to about 80% extra. That's a lot of money and would effect the amount of money the players would get in the future. Admittedly the players already earn enough as it is (see how much the Vikings paid Favre for 2 years work, 2nd year debatable as to whether you call it work or not) but the players and the players association have to look after themselves and from what I have heard a lot of the extra money the owners were asking for was going to reduce the amount veterans of the game get (or something like that). For me, they are both to blame but the PA has to take the majority of the blame, and to be headed up by Manning, Brees and Brady.......just oozes greed really.

Good points Swanny, but I guess the players aren't just looking out for people like Favre, but also for people who get small contracts/tossed aside after injury etc.

For what it's worth, I'm on the side of the owners. I think if the players really wanted to protect all of their kin, and retirement packages etc., there's plenty of money amongst them all to share it out more evenly. Do they put any of their considerable wages into some kind of benevolent fund for players who fall on hard times?

Swanny32 12-03-2011 08:42 PM

On the plus side, it does give me an extra 12 months to save up for my next trip to Philly, which will also be a family trip this time.....I think I just heard my bank balance yelp!

jazman 12-03-2011 09:24 PM

It seems that they will never agree on things what with deadline after deadline passing .. it is made people think they are close but in truth they are miles away.

ardeo 12-03-2011 10:14 PM

I will mostly be supporting Penn State next year, come on you Nittany Lions!

Vince Hilaire's Afro 13-03-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
It seems that they will never agree on things what with deadline after deadline passing .. it is made people think they are close but in truth they are miles away.

I wouldn't get too carried away with these 'deadlines' at the moment, they are purely nominal. Both sides will know when their 'real' deadlines are with respect to actually being hit in the pocket. Until then, the political posturing will continue.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 13-03-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
I will mostly be supporting Penn State next year, come on you Nittany Lions!

^^^^

oz_da II 13-03-2011 10:37 AM

Screw those Lions.

Let's fire up for the BC Lions! :p

saxoneagle 13-03-2011 02:09 PM

When are the college schedules announced?

We'll be in the US from mid-October until end of December so plenty of time for some college football, NBA and hockey!

jazman 13-03-2011 02:11 PM

Well, looks like it's all about those Texas Longhorns :p

Swanny32 13-03-2011 05:13 PM

Go Buckeyes! Although bit of a pisser as Sanzenbacher is in the NFL draft this year so won't get to see his speculative one handed catches next season. :( Thinking about it, he might not be good enough for the NFL so we might never see them again.

pauldrulez 13-03-2011 05:17 PM

Other than talking about the draft, I'm leaving this thread well alone until it's sorted.

NFL offer was excellent for the NFLPA and the players.

They turned it down, league had to lock them out when they decertified.

BLUE BOY 13-03-2011 05:30 PM

What NFL podcasts, if any, do you guys listen to? Could do with some decent stuff to listen to as i work.

saxoneagle 13-03-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Well, looks like it's all about those Texas Longhorns :p


You can't support the same team as me. :p

pauldrulez 13-03-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE BOY
What NFL podcasts, if any, do you guys listen to? Could do with some decent stuff to listen to as i work.

ESPN: First Draft and Football Today as well as my Patriot ones.

The ESPN ones give you info and have a laugh without any bias.

ardeo 13-03-2011 06:23 PM

Jaz and I enjoy rants and raves.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.