CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

SteveyHawking 03-12-2012 03:47 AM

Been a good game thus far in Dallas. Shame we couldn't hold the Cowboys to three before the half. Foles looking good as is Brown for the second week on the trot. Our safeties are still the worst in the league.

Teagle 03-12-2012 04:27 AM

That was a hell of a catch there. Foles looks very composed - Eagles could be onto a good thing there.

SteveyHawking 03-12-2012 05:21 AM

First turnover of the game proves crucial yet again. No surprise the Eagles are on the receiving end. :(

Funk Butter 03-12-2012 05:31 AM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1874...f/original.gif
Even Megatron can't save the Lions from Wayne Fontes 2.0.

jazman 03-12-2012 09:12 AM

:lux: Hopefully that will see the greeny fans crawl back under the rock they once came from ...

And puts us back into the mix for a very faint play off spot ... remaining fixtures, Bungals (a), Steelers & Saints (h) and finish up at the Skin. Tough but doable.

ardeo 03-12-2012 10:52 AM

Cowboys still suck, we should never have been in the game considering who rubbish we are.

Our defence continues to set records for being terrible, worst 6 game defensive streak ever, or something like that.

SteveyHawking 03-12-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Cowboys still suck, we should never have been in the game considering who rubbish we are.

Our defence continues to set records for being terrible, worst 6 game defensive streak ever, or something like that.

That's six games on the trot where we've allowed the opposition QB a rating of 120 and over. Our secondary is AWFUL. The highly paid corners are terrible value for money and can't tackle and don't get me started safeties - they are the worst in the league by a country mile. The eight game losing streak is now the longest for the Eagles since 1968. :(

At least the o-line, Foles & Brown played alright. Plus we had our first return of the season. Onwards and upwards! Straws firmly clutched... :lux: :D

pauldrulez 03-12-2012 01:01 PM

Best bit about the Jets situation...

They can't afford to cut him as their cap is ****ed already! They cut him and it's another $5m hit.

Sanchez timeline:
Good: New contract to bring his confidence back.

Bad: Bring in Tebow to destroy his confidence entirely.

The Jets = comedians.

jazman 03-12-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

My point about Filly fans. But suck? We are still in with a shout of the play offs. I'll take that. So I wouldn't say suck. Just so inconsistent and a team that handicaps itself with the amount of stoopid penalties it commits ...

SteveyHawking 03-12-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
Just so inconsistent and a team that handicaps itself with the amount of stoopid penalties Doug Free commits ...

Edited for accuracy. :p

SteveyHawking 03-12-2012 02:40 PM

Now it is Jim Washburn to be given the boot in Philly with old favourite Tommy Brasher coming back in. The Babin release foreshadowed that move. I wonder who's next to leave??

Swanny32 03-12-2012 02:46 PM

Do I bother watching it from last night? I normally try and not look at any websites or social networking sites until I have watched the game......the last couple of weeks though I haven't bothered and just checked the score as soon as I wake up, from what I hear we were a bit better last night but I don't know if I can be arsed to watch it.

Swanny32 03-12-2012 02:47 PM

This is also partly to me having zero patience today due to still suffering from a ridiculously heavy Saturday night.

SteveyHawking 03-12-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
Do I bother watching it from last night? I normally try and not look at any websites or social networking sites until I have watched the game......the last couple of weeks though I haven't bothered and just checked the score as soon as I wake up, from what I hear we were a bit better last night but I don't know if I can be arsed to watch it.

If you forget about our defense, especially in the second half, we didn't play too badly. Foles and Brown showed more promise and we actually made a record equalling special teams play! The o-line looked alright too which was good to see with Dennis Kelly impressing for a rookie at right tackle. For the first time in ages we actually competed but it was a crucial turnover that proved our downfall yet again.

Swanny32 03-12-2012 05:19 PM

Brown has been somewhat of a revelation since standing in for Shady, it does make me wonder though why Reid wasn't running the ball more when Shady was fit as he's so obviously the better back. On the flip side though is that 3 fumbles in 2 games now for Bryce?

jazman 03-12-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveyHawking
Edited for accuracy. :p

:D You got that right!

Swanny32 03-12-2012 06:41 PM

Nick Foles has been announced as the starting QB. So long #7 it's been awesome but also really crap at the same time.

Funk Butter 03-12-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveyHawking
That's six games on the trot where we've allowed the opposition QB a rating of 120 and over. Our secondary is AWFUL. The highly paid corners are terrible value for money and can't tackle and don't get me started safeties - they are the worst in the league by a country mile. The eight game losing streak is now the longest for the Eagles since 1968. :(

Quite the season that was:
Quote:

The 1968 Philadelphia Eagles season was their 36th in the league. They failed to improve on their previous output of 6–7–1, winning only two games and being on target for an anti-perfect season at 0-11 until they won their twelfth game. The 1968 Eagles were the first team in the NFL proper to lose eleven consecutive games in one season since the their 1936 predecessors, though in the AFL the 1962 Oakland Raiders lost their first thirteen games.

Philadelphia sports fans are noted for their fervent devotion to their teams, leading to perennially high expectations. When Philadelphia teams fall short of expectations, their fans are not shy about voicing their displeasure. One of the most infamous incidents in Philadelphia sports history came at halftime of the final game of the 1968 season. After a dismal season, the Eagles were on their way to losing to the Minnesota Vikings. The Eagles had planned a Christmas pageant for halftime of the December 15 game, but the condition of the field was too poor. Instead, the team asked a fan dressed as Santa Claus to run onto the field to celebrate with a group of cheerleaders. The fans, in no mood to celebrate, loudly booed and threw snowballs at the fan.

1969 NFL Draft

The 1969 National Football League Draft was part of the Common Draft, the third and final year in which the NFL and American Football League (AFL) held a joint draft of college players. The draft took place on January 28–29, 1969. The Philadelphia Eagles would alternate with the Atlanta Falcons in picking 2nd and 3rd in the 17 rounds.

The draft began with first overall pick of O. J. Simpson, the Heisman-Trophy winning running back from USC, by the American Football League's Buffalo Bills. In a 14-game 1968 season the Eagles would have no wins until Nov 28th in week 12 when they defeated the Detroit Lions (4–8–2) in Detroit 12–0, and on Dec 8th in week 13 the New Orleans Saints (4–9–1) in Philadelphia 29–17. This gave the Eagles a better record than the Buffalo Bills (1–12–1) by half a game, and equaled the record of the Atlanta Falcons (2–12) who would win the coin flip for the rights to the second pick in the draft, George Kunz offensive tackle from Notre Dame. Future Hall of Famer "Mean "Joe Greene, defensive tackle from North Texas would go as a 4th pick, by the Pittsburgh Steelers (2–11–1)
Not surprisingly, the Eagles pick of RB Leroy Keyes didn't have the same career as OJ Simpson.

Swanny32 03-12-2012 08:53 PM

Ok, so I watched the game. Better, much much better but still pretty bad in some area's. Thought we pressured Romo more than we have other QB's in recent weeks, but that might be saying more about the state of the Cowboys O Line, today's sacking of Washburn would back that up. Bryce Brown looks very handy indeed and I wonder if we could get some value out of him by playing him for the remainder of the season and seeing whether someone will offer us a 4th or 5th round draft pick, would be pretty good business as we took him in the final round this year.

Foles looks the part, really like what I'm seeing from him at the moment, given a better O line I'm sure we can get back to winning ways. He's got one heck of an arm on him!

Secondary looked pretty decent in the first quarter I thought....it then rapidly went downhill, I originally thought Coleman was half decent and maybe worthy of a roster spot, after last night he needs cutting, along with Allen and both starting corners.....we're paying silly money for quite possibly 2 of the worst starting corners in the NFL. Given their reputation though, I wonder if they would regain their dominance and confidence under a decent defensive coordinator? DRC had a shocker last night, simple as that.

All in all, we were a bit unlucky, we didn't play well on D but managed to stay competitive, again, this might say more about the cowboys. Had Brown not coughed the ball up in the 4th quarter then we might well have been celebrating a victory today, alas, it wasn't to be, we're used to it now. Definitely positives to come from the game, hopefully our soon to be new head coach was watching so he can actually take note of those positives as they're going to be useless to Reid in about 3 weeks time.

Latvian Eagle 03-12-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Cowboys still suck

Clearly not as bad as the Panthers right now! :(