CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 11-08-2008 07:15 PM

That was stupid although the 7th pick wasnt ours obviously as we are too good to be that low in the draft.


For the Yahoo draft (should people want to do it),
Also, the group number should people be asked for it (Nookie couldnt get in) is 377078, the group name is CPFC BBS and the password is eagles

jazman 11-08-2008 07:22 PM

Looking forward to the new season. Lost the plot in terms of not knowing what I'm doing with the fantasy game though ...

Come on you Cowboys :lux:

Benzhiyi 11-08-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
Is there a chance of the divisions ever being rearranged?
You realise that for a long, long, long time, even up until the mid-'90s, the Patriots absolutely sucked and were both a laughing stock and the worst team in the NFL?

I'm guessing that wasn't when you took up supporting them. ;)

The salary cap and draft means the NFL is very much cyclical and you can bet that within the next ten years teams like Indy, New England and Dallas will again hit bad patches while Miami, Kansas City and Oakland (alright, maybe not them until they get a new owner) will eventually become good again.

You know, for instance, that Buffalo went to the Super Bowl four times in the '90s, right?

And that as recently as 2000 the now 'almighty' Chargers finished with the same record as the woeful 2008 Dolphins: 1-15?

Careful what you wish for.

pauldrulez 11-08-2008 07:31 PM

Yeah I know that, started supporting late 90s when I first saw the games being played and I said it before, it was Eagles or England. A cousin told me about the Phillies being bullies and I chose to be patriotic at the right time.

I know but surely with a salary cap in place now it will be completely different. Is the salary cap going to be removed in 09 or 10 for a year? Will it make a major difference.

jazman, You are already in a league but others wanted a Yahoo league so I thought I might as well set another one up.

The Pats went 1-15 if I remember right when i first supported them and then won the Superbowl the next year.

saxoneagle 11-08-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi
You realise that for a long, long, long time, even up until the mid-'90s, the Patriots absolutely sucked and were both a laughing stock and the worst team in the NFL?

I'm guessing that wasn't when you took up supporting them. ;)

The salary cap and draft means the NFL is very much cyclical and you can bet that within the next ten years teams like Indy, New England and Dallas will again hit bad patches while Miami, Kansas City and Oakland (alright, maybe not them until they get a new owner) will eventually become good again.

You know, for instance, that Buffalo went to the Super Bowl four times in the '90s, right?

And that as recently as 2000 the now 'almighty' Chargers finished with the same record as the woeful 2008 Dolphins: 1-15?

Careful what you wish for.


Didn't the Colts go 1-15 too the season before they drafted Peyton?

saxoneagle 11-08-2008 07:44 PM

Nope, it was 3-13 in 1997 but they had gone 1-15 in 1991...

pauldrulez 11-08-2008 08:49 PM

When the Pats have a bad patch, it will be nice to go to the Wembley game and not see hundreds of Patriots shirts even when they arent playing.

pauldrulez 11-08-2008 09:51 PM

Another random question of mine leading up to the regular season.

Brady or Manning?

Brady has the records, the pocket presence and was a major surprise.

Manning has 4 perfect games, a strong arm and can play until he is 45 easily.

Benzhiyi 11-08-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
I know but surely with a salary cap in place now it will be completely different. Is the salary cap going to be removed in 09 or 10 for a year? Will it make a major difference.
Eh? The salary cap improves the chances of parity across the board and of the sport remaining cyclical because you can't have a team do what Chelsea or the New York Yankees do - offer sky high wages that no-one else can compete with to the best players in the sport.

And Manning playing until he's 45? In the NFL, right? I'll bet you 100 that doesn't happen.

pauldrulez 11-08-2008 11:32 PM

My point with that is...

Brady relies on his speed and his pocket presence.

Manning relies on his play-calling and his arm.

TB had the long throwing every so often but has a bad shoulder already.

PM has little shoulder problems (to my knowledge) but has low mobility already compared to other QBs in the NFL.

saxoneagle 11-08-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
My point with that is...

Brady relies on his speed and his pocket presence.

Manning relies on his play-calling and his arm.

TB had the long throwing every so often but has a bad shoulder already.

PM has little shoulder problems (to my knowledge) but has low mobility already compared to other QBs in the NFL.

Brady? Speed? Do you watch matches, Paul?

If Brady is so quick, why does he get hit so often?

pauldrulez 11-08-2008 11:53 PM

Because the OL are shit :D.

And not speed as in quick, but more like thought process speed as he gets the ball away to a receiver quicker and he sees who is open and who is not in a split second and more often or not picks the player out. (Rather than Cassel who just gets picked for a TD)

Also, with the exception of Randy Moss, I believe that no offensive player has ever been voted to the Probowl from the Patriots while Brady has been there which is a part of his success.

Rather than completely proving me wrong and making me look like an arse,

Who is the better QB?

Benzhiyi 12-08-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
Also, with the exception of Randy Moss, I believe that no offensive player has ever been voted to the Probowl from the Patriots while Brady has been there which is a part of his success.

Rather than completely proving me wrong and making me look like an arse,

Alright, seeing as you asked.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...atriots_get_8/

pauldrulez 12-08-2008 12:45 PM

Receivers rather than the O-Line. I read it on a site yesterday when I was trying to find stuff to back-up Brady being better.

Strathclyde Eagle 12-08-2008 01:09 PM

Troy Brown in 2001? Think he may have gone as a returner though, can't remember for definite.

Keep going Paul. :D

pauldrulez 12-08-2008 01:38 PM

He went as an Injury Reserve I believe. But different sites give different reports on that one.

And Brown played in so many positions over them few years CB, S, KR and WR. He may have been going as one of the Special Teamers and they used him as a wide receiver as well.

Well anyway, Brady has one ability and that is Pocket Presence that no-one can dispute (please:()

saxoneagle 12-08-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
Because the OL are shit :D.


We know that isn't true and we know the Colts have a good OL too.

Quote:

And not speed as in quick, but more like thought process speed as he gets the ball away to a receiver quicker and he sees who is open and who is not in a split second and more often or not picks the player out. (Rather than Cassel who just gets picked for a TD)
Quick thought process? What does Manning have then? He has no speed, no agility (even less than Brady) yet manages to hit his target. All top QBs are quicker in mind than fleet of foot.

Quote:

Also, with the exception of Randy Moss, I believe that no offensive player has ever been voted to the Probowl from the Patriots while Brady has been there which is a part of his success.
That's because until last season the Patriots never tore into teams.

Quote:

Rather than completely proving me wrong and making me look like an arse,

Who is the better QB?
Rings says - Brady.

Considering the quality of the teams with which you won those rings says - Brady by a bigger margin.

No denying they are both great QBs but, even with bias, I'd have Brady every time over Peyton particularly going into those last 2 minutes...

saxoneagle 12-08-2008 01:49 PM

Corey Dillon made the Probowl in 2004... He's an offensive player, too ;)

Strathclyde Eagle 12-08-2008 01:50 PM

Brown had over 100 catches that year. He could easily have been voted in on that alone. Will need to do some digging on that one.

Oh, and in terms of where Brady beats out Manning I'd use the vague term moxie, and the more popular word leadership. He seems to instil a confidence in his colleagues that you don't always see in Manning (with the exception of the game against San Diego when he waved the punt team off the field on a critical 4th down).

I'd also say he's more gutsy - Manning tends to avoid hits through his quick release, Brady certainly isn't afraid to take a hit for the benefit of his team.

The things you find out through random links on Wikipedia. In an odd way it is only two pages away from Troy Brown's page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Ge...etzel_incident

Five years ahead of most of us! ;)

BLUE BOY 12-08-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pauldrulez
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/cpfcbbs

League Name is CPFC BBS
Password is eagles

I dont mind how the draft works or anything like that but there were requests for a yahoo league as well so here you go.

I have PM'ed this to most of you, if not all that have posted in this thread recently.

What is the league id# for this.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.