CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Ridcully 30-10-2013 02:24 AM

Jaguras! :D

I quite enjoyed it still and next year the Lions are in town. For me it was a better game than last year which bored me rigid.

Latvian Eagle 30-10-2013 12:03 PM

Possible controversial comment but am I the only one who thinks by doing more and more games over here the NFL love in is losing it's magic? I'm not as interested in going now as I was the first few years where there was one game. :eek:

RDSdaEAGLE 30-10-2013 01:01 PM

I think the major issue with NFL football being played in the UK is that there really isn't enough of a partisan crowd.

The game on Sunday was great but it was like watching a friendly match with a bit more of a crowd there! While the game was competitive, you didn't get a sense of that in the stand.

Swanny32 30-10-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE (Post 11366442)
I think the major issue with NFL football being played in the UK is that there really isn't enough of a partisan crowd.

The game on Sunday was great but it was like watching a friendly match with a bit more of a crowd there! While the game was competitive, you didn't get a sense of that in the stand.

Sorry, did you just say "The game was competitive"?? Have you gone insane?

Swanny32 30-10-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 11366339)
Possible controversial comment but am I the only one who thinks by doing more and more games over here the NFL love in is losing it's magic? I'm not as interested in going now as I was the first few years where there was one game. :eek:

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but I still get really excited for the International Series games. Despite knowing that the Jags would get destroyed, I was still looking forward to the game on Sunday. Pumped for 3 games next year and can't wait to get my hands on the season ticket!

Latvian Eagle 30-10-2013 02:12 PM

The irony is that they keep on about a London franchise... I don't know about anyone else but I would still be a Panthers fan and have no interest in "switching" allegiance.

Swanny32 30-10-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 11366576)
The irony is that they keep on about a London franchise... I don't know about anyone else but I would still be a Panthers fan and have no interest in "switching" allegiance.

I think that's a common feeling among the majority of NFL fans here in the UK. Personally I don't even want a London franchise. It's an American game, it's nice to have one, two or three games here a year but generally the game should be played in the USA....besides, it makes one of my excuses to visit America redundant.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 30-10-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 11366576)
The irony is that they keep on about a London franchise... I don't know about anyone else but I would still be a Panthers fan and have no interest in "switching" allegiance.

Due to the size of the country and number of 'transplanted' people making lives in new cities, it's quite common for people to support their local NFL team but retain an allegiance to their original team.

I know people who go to plenty of Panthers games, but support Buffalo, Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh to name but a few. Of course, when their home team comes to town they're on their side!

In fact, I knew the brother of Frank Garcia who played for the Panthers for a while. Despite that, he still retained his love of the Arizona Cardinals!

Funk Butter 30-10-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 11366632)
Due to the size of the country and number of 'transplanted' people making lives in new cities, it's quite common for people to support their local NFL team but retain an allegiance to their original team.

I know people who go to plenty of Panthers games, but support Buffalo, Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh to name but a few. Of course, when their home team comes to town they're on their side!

In fact, I knew the brother of Frank Garcia who played for the Panthers for a while. Despite that, he still retained his love of the Arizona Cardinals!

In the Dark Ages, when people moved cities they often switched teams. These days, though, you can go anywhere in the world and stay just as informed on your team as if you lived in that city. Plus, you can watch all their games now and not just wait until they happen to be on one of the 3 games on TV that Sunday.

RDSdaEAGLE 30-10-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32 (Post 11366557)
Sorry, did you just say "The game was competitive"?? Have you gone insane?

Quote taken out of context, mate! The game was competitive in that it was part of the regular NFL competition. It was competitive in that it wasn't a friendly match.

gingerob 30-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32 (Post 11366615)
I think that's a common feeling among the majority of NFL fans here in the UK. Personally I don't even want a London franchise. It's an American game, it's nice to have one, two or three games here a year but generally the game should be played in the USA....besides, it makes one of my excuses to visit America redundant.

I completely agree mate I even think three games over here is too many. if there was a London franchise and I had a choice to go to see them or watch the Eagles on gamepass I would choose the gamepass option every time. The games here have now lost the novelty value. Watching games where most of the crowd are neutral is a bit boring. if I go to an NFL game I want to go where there is an atmosphere and to see the game in its natural environment full of Americans doing what they love.

davematt 30-10-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerob (Post 11367051)
I completely agree mate I even think three games over here is too many. if there was a London franchise and I had a choice to go to see them or watch the Eagles on gamepass I would choose the gamepass option every time. The games here have now lost the novelty value. Watching games where most of the crowd are neutral is a bit boring. if I go to an NFL game I want to go where there is an atmosphere and to see the game in its natural environment full of Americans doing what they love.

I'm kind of in the same boat.

Wembley does a good job, but its impossible to replicate that buzz on a Sunday you get Stateside, whether it pre match with the tail-gate, or actually in the stadium.

A franchise would not work over here; bare in mind that many of the people who attend these games are not local Londoners (Some come over from Europe); they aren't going to want to be coming down to London every other Sunday afternoon/evening for four months. Blimey, one of the reasons I turned down that ticket that you/Paul has (As well as being slightly hungover) was knowing what an utter ballache it was going to be getting home due to rail works, and I live in Surrey. People from up North aren't going to want to deal with that every two or three weeks.

Swanny32 30-10-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE (Post 11366816)
Quote taken out of context, mate! The game was competitive in that it was part of the regular NFL competition. It was competitive in that it wasn't a friendly match.

Thought that might have been the case....

pauldrulez 01-11-2013 08:39 AM

Gil Bernard's TD run. He's a star.

RDSdaEAGLE 02-11-2013 03:30 AM

As if things couldn't get worse for the Jaguars, their WR Justin Blackmon has been suspended indefinitely for substance abuse.

saxoneagle 02-11-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE (Post 11371802)
As if things couldn't get worse for the Jaguars, their WR Justin Blackmon has been suspended indefinitely for substance abuse.

Substance abuse? He could've done with some glue on his hands last weekend...

Vince Hilaire's Afro 02-11-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE (Post 11371802)
As if things couldn't get worse for the Jaguars, their WR Justin Blackmon has been suspended indefinitely for substance abuse.

Isn't that the second time?

Strathclyde Eagle 03-11-2013 09:28 AM

Get well soon, John Fox. :(

CT_Palace 03-11-2013 09:43 PM

anybody else watching the Saints Jets game?

Jaserob 03-11-2013 09:46 PM

AP. What a beast. What a TD!!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.