CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

saxoneagle 02-10-2008 05:56 PM

The Bills?
The Giants?
The Titans?

Who will be the last to lose the unbeaten record?

In week 5, the Bills travel to Arizona, the Giants host Seattle and the Titans go to Baltimore.

I think 2 of the three will remain unbeaten through this weekend. The two? The Giants and Titans with the Bills falling in the desert.

How about the other end?

The Bengals?
The Lions?
The Rams?
The Texans?

With the Rams on their bye week, the Bengals travel to Dallas, the Lions host Chicago and the Texans host the Colts. I predict three defeats. The first to break the duck will be the Texans who will beat Miami in week 6.

saxoneagle 02-10-2008 06:00 PM

Which team, with one win, but below .500 has the best chance to make the play-offs?

Teams below .500:
Colts 1-2
Miami 1-2
Seahawks 1-2
Browns 1-3
Chiefs 1-3
Vikings 1-3
Raiders 1-3

I think the Colts, Seahawks and Vikings will all finish with winning records and could all make the play-offs. Actually, the Colts have the more difficult task in my opinion due to the strength of their division.

davematt 02-10-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Which team, with one win, but below .500 has the best chance to make the play-offs?

Teams below .500:
Colts 1-2
Miami 1-2
Seahawks 1-2
Browns 1-3
Chiefs 1-3
Vikings 1-3
Raiders 1-3

I think the Colts, Seahawks and Vikings will all finish with winning records and could all make the play-offs. Actually, the Colts have the more difficult task in my opinion due to the strength of their division.

You have to say the Colts.

Yes, difficult division, but surely their quality will come though.

Peyton hasnt become a bad QB over night.

With Peterson, who I just love to watch, the Vikings will certainly get wins, but not sure if they will get enough.

RDSdaEAGLE 02-10-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt
You have to say the Colts.

Yes, difficult division, but surely their quality will come though.

For as long as they're missing Bob Sanders, they'll struggle. They can't defend the run without him so they'll just keep leaking yards and ultimately touchdowns until he returns.

Quote:

Peyton hasnt become a bad QB over night.

You're right, he hasn't. But he was injured and I don't think he's anywhere near as mobile as he has been.

Quote:

With Peterson, who I just love to watch, the Vikings will certainly get wins, but not sure if they will get enough.
Not just about Peterson though, it's the fact that they can't pick up yards to get him in point-scoring situations. I love Peterson but they need to develop their passing game a lot more to be any kind of success.

davematt 02-10-2008 08:14 PM

Agree with all your points there Rob.

The problem with Peyton is that he didnt have a pre season whatsoever, so is literally catching up with everyone in stead of sharpness. I have no doubt we will start to see him hitting form over the next few weeks. I am sure he is seeing the first three games as his pre season.

In terms of the Vikings you are right; if they could develop a somewhat decent passing game, they could be a very strong outfit. Unfortunetly, they are relying on Peterson a bit too much, and despite the boys incredible speed and power, he cant do it all on his own!

saxoneagle 02-10-2008 08:23 PM

I'm still sticking to my post back in August - the Vikings are merely a QB away from having a team capable of winning a Superbowl.

saxoneagle 02-10-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt
Agree with all your points there Rob.

The problem with Peyton is that he didnt have a pre season whatsoever, so is literally catching up with everyone in stead of sharpness. I have no doubt we will start to see him hitting form over the next few weeks. I am sure he is seeing the first three games as his pre season.

In terms of the Vikings you are right; if they could develop a somewhat decent passing game, they could be a very strong outfit. Unfortunetly, they are relying on Peterson a bit too much, and despite the boys incredible speed and power, he cant do it all on his own!

Yep - we'll see how Peyton plays this week. He's had three matches, plus two weeks of training (an early Bye week definitely helped the Colts, IMO) and we should now see if he is back to his best.

Sanders or not, you'd back the Colts more often than not to outscore opponents due to Peyton and co. Going into Houston should be a nice chance to get back to .500, too.

Strathclyde Eagle 02-10-2008 08:36 PM

I've not looked at it, but supposedly the Vikings are coming up to the soft part of their schedule. With the setbacks the Packers have had in the past few weeks the NFC North is still up for grabs.

saxoneagle 02-10-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I've not looked at it, but supposedly the Vikings are coming up to the soft part of their schedule. With the setbacks the Packers have had in the past few weeks the NFC North is still up for grabs.
Vikings have:

@ Saints
Lions
@ Bears
BYE
Texans
Packers
@ Bucs
@ Jaguars
Bears
@ Lions
@ Cardinals
Falcons
Giants

I wouldn't say soft, really!

pauldrulez 02-10-2008 10:28 PM

The Colts OL has been pretty much decimated recently and it wont surprise me if Peyton lands on his ass a few more times and ends up hurt.

In their division I can see them struggling this year. But, they should get the play-offs.

Titans to be last team unbeaten however much I want to say the Giants to go 18-0 and lose in the Superbowl.

I'm going for the Vikings and the Cleveland Browns with Romeo to take them to 8-8

Strathclyde Eagle 02-10-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Vikings have:

@ Saints
Lions
@ Bears
BYE
Texans
Packers
@ Bucs
@ Jaguars
Bears
@ Lions
@ Cardinals
Falcons
Giants

I wouldn't say soft, really!

I guess they were talking about the Lions in week six then. :D

pauldrulez 02-10-2008 11:01 PM

Looking at the Browns schedule, I may rescind my earlier prediction.

Going for 7-9 and they will do well to get there.

Strathclyde Eagle 03-10-2008 12:33 AM

Little present to himself for Jazman perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Dallas-Cowb...d=p3911.c0.m14

jlmatthews 03-10-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Just got an e-mail from NFL.com about their highlight cutter. It then features a clip called "Tyler Thigpen Highlight Reel". Can't imagine that's very long.

:D

jazman 03-10-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Little present to himself for Jazman perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Dallas-Cowb...d=p3911.c0.m14

Ahhh, didn't know you cared ... :D

Seriously though, how bizarre is that??? :eek:

Strathclyde Eagle 03-10-2008 11:38 AM

Ex player, down his luck. It has happened before. I can't remember exactly when it was but there was a controversy about one of Lester Hayes' rings ending up on eBay a few years ago after he pawned it.

ESPN.com had a feature last year about Clayton Holmes, a guy who played on at least two of the Cowboys' SB winners in the 90s who has about five kids and is just about destitute.

nookiebear 03-10-2008 11:57 AM

Colts will make the play-offs

Fingers crossed the Skins can see off a very aggressive Eagles D this weekend

Win that one, and the Skins have then got the Browns, Rams and Lions

jazman 03-10-2008 01:15 PM

Watched NFL Gameday last night. Some great action again in week 4. So emotional Matt Bryant kicking for the Bucs, and him having the courage to conduct an interview afterwards. A very tough guy and makes you thin there is more to life than sport ...

Enjoyed watching the breakdown of the Cowboys defeat to the Skins and the interviews that followed, and that TO is a tit.

Still have plenty to get through though. Impressed with the Titans and the Saints - suprise packages anyone?

saxoneagle 03-10-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jazman

Still have plenty to get through though. Impressed with the Titans and the Saints - suprise packages anyone?

I'm not sure surprising is the right word.

The Titans were tipped by some in the media as potential Superbowl winners so their form is certainly not unexpected. However, few would've expected them to have suffered a QB injury in week 1 and to still be on fire. How other teams could benefit for having a QB with the experience of Kerry Collins as a backup.

But then, the Titans strength is not the offense and a defense with vanden Bosch and Haynesworth up front is always going to be tough to run against.

As for the Saints, they've played well in patches and more is to come from them. They have only just got their first choice RB back, their first 2 wide recievers and tight end are all currently injured, plus about 3 others. The main issue for the Saints is the match in London in week 8 and then the bye in week 9. A long trip plus a late bye week could either make or break their season - a good result and full use of the bye week to get injured players back on the field could be a massive turning point, especially as the London game is a "home" game.

jazman 03-10-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

How other teams could benefit for having a QB with the experience of Kerry Collins as a backup.
Which is something that Green Bay could have learned from is the injury to Rogers stops him playing this weekend. I understand that they have two rookies as back ups, Flynn who came on when Rogers got injured.