CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

sLlll 20-01-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi
Was it ESPN Zone?

I frickin' love those places.

Nookie and I watched the 2007 season opener (Colts vs Saints, including a hot pre-game performance from the unspeakably lovely Kelly Clarkson) at one in Washington. It were smashing. :lux:

It was an independent bar in Maine. Bosox country. They get a sore taste in their mouths when they see me with my Yankees gear on ;).

sLlll 20-01-2009 11:36 PM

"If you did not sign up to the Registry of Interest but wish to purchase a ticket for the game, you will be able to do so from Monday January 26th by going to www.ticketmaster.co.uk"

I'll be disappointed if I miss out. Told my boy ages ago that I'd try my hardest to get him to a NFL match. I should have registered ages ago. Some things you put off............. then you get pissed off :sob:

Strathclyde Eagle 21-01-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
Kicking a nobbish onside kick.

Going for it on 4th down.

Calling timeout to stop the clock.

Going for 2pts.

Keeping on your starters when its clearly not necessary.

BTW, why has no-one mentioned the onside kick the Cardinals tried on Sunday? Class idea, nearly worked. Little risk in kicking it where they did either.

Benzhiyi 21-01-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
BTW, why has no-one mentioned the onside kick the Cardinals tried on Sunday? Class idea, nearly worked. Little risk in kicking it where they did either.

Aye, very ballsy. I'd argue that it did work but that the officials made an awful call...

nookiebear 21-01-2009 10:46 AM

ESPN Zone's mini burgers rocketh :)

Benzhiyi 21-01-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sLlll
It was an independent bar in Maine. Bosox country. They get a sore taste in their mouths when they see me with my Yankees gear on ;).

And so they should. Booooooooooooooooooooo! :D

jazman 21-01-2009 01:23 PM

Panic over. I received the email yesterday afternoon and hadn't checked when I post last night. So I have my pin and will be attempting to get tickets tomorrow :p

Latvian Eagle 21-01-2009 01:56 PM

Any kind soul want to sort me out a ticket?! ;) Please?

jazman 21-01-2009 02:03 PM

I will be booking the max of six which will be taken at the moment but I am certain one of the others will drop out between now and the game...

Strathclyde Eagle 21-01-2009 02:16 PM

Weekly update from Will Leitch. Can't help but think of when we were F.A. Cup Finalists:
Quote:

"The Arizona Cardinals ... are in the Super Bowl." It'll never sound right. That's OK. It shouldn't sound right. It should sound amazing and new and absurd and wonderful and all of it. It should sound as startling as it was to watch it happen. And, somehow, it's true. I will not question it. I will not worry about it. I'll just drink it in, and marvel that the world is a strange place. And I will dodge the meteor. The Arizona Cardinals ... are in the Super Bowl.
http://deadspin.com/5135338/the-buzz...the-super-bowl

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 06:15 PM

I have lots of news from varying websites to post.

In advance and not to offend, i'll give my Apologies for having any opinions on the news/pics. :rolleyes:

Memories from the Senior Bowl: ;)
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...009bill600.jpg

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 06:19 PM

From ESPN.com
Quote:

There was movement on the AFC Pro Bowl quarterback roster on Tuesday.

Both the Jets' Brett Favre and the Chargers' Philip Rivers are not going to play in the game because of injuries. Tennessee's Kerry Collins has been named to the roster. Favre was one of three AFC quarterbacks to be named to the Pro Bowl last month. Rivers was the No. 1 alternate. Collins was the No. 2 alternate.

Favre's absence was long expected. He ended the season with a shoulder injury. He rarely played in the Pro Bowl while with Green Bay. Favre is considering retirement, so he may have played his final game.

Rivers is not playing because of a sore knee, a Chargers' spokesman said Tuesday night. The spokesman said Rivers is not expected to have surgery. Rivers is not expected to miss any of the Chargers' offseason condition program. Rivers suffered a torn ACL in the 2007 playoffs but played without issue in 2008 and had his best NFL season.

Collins was a surprise standout for the Titans, who had the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs after going 13-3. Collins, who took over for Vince Young early in the season, threw for 2,678 yards and 12 touchdowns. He will join Peyton Manning of the Colts and Jay Cutler of the Broncos as the AFC's quarterbacks. The game will be played in Honolulu on Feb. 8.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.
Not Pennington?

Not Cassel?

I hope Rivers told them where to stick it when they came calling

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. -- The 2009 Senior Bowl kicked into gear on Monday morning with the annual meat market known as the National Scouting Weigh-In. Players are herded into the Mobile Convention Center Ballroom one at a time in front of a packed house of mostly NFL personnel officials and coaches. Results for each player's height, weight, hand-span (from thumb to pinkie finger) and arm length were announced to the group.

Here are some of the highlights and lowlights:

Senior Bowl arms race
The 2009 senior quarterback class comes up short in several areas and size is one of them. NFL teams value agile quarterbacks in the 6-foot-2 to the 6-4 range more than they value 6-6 statuesque pocket passers, but only three of the quarterbacks here topped 6-2 -- Texas Tech's Graham Harrell, Clemson's Cullen Harper and Sam Houston State's Rhett Bomar. While none of them are considered much of a threat to scramble with the possible exception of Bomar, they move well within the pocket so their size is sufficient. The same cannot be said about West Virginia's Pat White and Central Arkansas' Nathan Brown.
As expected, White measured just 6-feet tall and his rare mobility won't be enough to overcome his inability to scan the field from within the pocket at the NFL level. The good news is he has long arms (33¾ inches) for a player his size, which should help if and when he moves to receiver. Meanwhile, Brown is only half an inch taller than White.

North QB Measurables
Name School Height Weight Hand (inches) Arm (inches)
Rhett Bomar Sam Houston St. 6-2⅛ 224 9¼ 31½
Graham Harrell Texas Tech 6-2 217 9½ 31¼
Nathan Brown Central Arkansas 6-0⅝ 217 9⅝ 30½

South QB Measurables
Name School Height Weight Hand (inches) Arm (inches)
Cullen Harper Clemson 6-2¾ 227 9½ 30½
John Parker Wilson Alabama 6-1½ 215 9⅜ 31
Pat White West Virginia 6-0 190 9⅛ 33¾

First-man-off-the-bus team
What's it's take to make the first-off-the-bus team? Think spokesperson for Under Armour.

USC OLB Brian Cushing: Cushing looks to be in outstanding shape and one scout even compared him to the old "He-Man" cartoon.

Cal Poly WR Ramses Barden: Barden (6-6, 227 pounds, 10⅝" hands, 33¾" arms) has the prototypical build of an NFL receiver and his body type drew comparisons to Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps. In addition, he has the big hands to snatch the ball out of the air.

Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew: Pettigrew (6-5¼, 257 pounds, 10½" hands, 33¾" arms) looks like a man among boys when lined up next to the rest of the tight ends. His muscle definition is impressive and he has a great wingspan.

Southern Miss' Shawn Nelson: Nelson (6-4¾, 238 pounds, 10⅛" hands, 34½" arms) isn't as imposing as Pettigrew but he looked better than expected. He carries his weight well and he's tall enough to get even bigger without losing much if any speed and/or agility.

Liberty RB Rashad Jennings: Jennings (6-1, 234 pounds, 9⅞" hands, 32½" arms) doesn't have their résumés or their top-end speed, but the small-school prospect looked an awful like 2008 Senior Bowl attendees Rashad Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart during weigh-ins. He didn't appear to have an ounce of body fat despite tipping the scales at 234 pounds.

Not looking the part
No need for a lengthy explanation here. Hopefully for these players' sake, looks are deceiving.

Tennessee OT Anthony Parker: Parker (6-1⅞, 310 pounds, 10" hands, 34½" arms) just isn't tall enough to carry that kind of weight comfortably and it showed.

Boston College DT Ron Brace: Brace (6-3, 329 pounds, 9⅝" hands, 33¾" arms) is a space eater, so it's not like he needs to win any Mr. Universe awards to make it in the NFL. However, he could shed some of his excess weight in an effort to get a little quicker and agile.

Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry: Unlike Parker and Brace, Jerry (6-1⅝, 290 pounds, 9⅜" hands, 32¼" arms) is a bit undersized and he lacks ideal muscle definition. Somewhat surprising considering how explosive he looks on film at times.

South Carolina WR Kenny McKinley: McKinley (5-11ù, 182 pounds, 8¾" hands, 30¾" arms) doesn't have elite height or weight but that's not the biggest concern here. It's his relatively short arms and small hands that are the greater issues.

Virginia RB Cedric Peerman: You might actually pick Peerman (5-9¼, 210 pounds, 7⅞" hands, 30½" arms) based on his body type but you'd probably reconsider if you knew that he's the only player whose hands measured less than eight inches across. Scouts are going to keep a close eye on his ability to catch and protect the football now.

Coming up short
The rebirth of the 3-4-defense over the last decade has caused more teams to target undersized players who have experience lining up at defensive end with the idea of moving them to outside linebacker. These are players who have problems holding their ground when they put their hands in the dirt but are athletic enough to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4-scheme. We located two players that we feel will likely need to play a rush-linebacker type role to succeed in the NFL due to their marginal size for the traditional end position -- Northern Illinois' Larry English (6-2⅛, 254 pounds) and Connecticut's Cody Brown (6-2⅛, 242 pounds). Of the two, English is a more complete player. He displayed solid technique and a non-stop motor during Monday's practice. English could lock down a Day 1 draft spot if he continues to play at a high level during the remainder of this week's practices and in Saturday's game.

A third on the fringe is Richmond's Lawrence Sidbury. Measuring in at 6-2, 267 pounds, Sidbury lacks ideal height to put his hand in the dirt on a four-man line and he is not as stout as his bulk would indicate. The biggest concern with Sidbury, who is an athletic and relentless pass rusher, is his ability to anchor working against offensive tackles. However, he turned some heads at the East-West Shrine game last week and he's obviously bigger than the three aforementioned prospects. If he can hold his own against the run this week his draft stock should continue to rise.

BMOC
LSU OG Herman Johnson is used to being labeled as "the biggest" in most everything he does. First off, Johnson was the biggest baby ever born in the state of Louisiana. Then he became the largest player in the history of LSU football. As of Monday, he can add to his résumé the unofficial honor of biggest participant in the 2009 Senior Bowl. Johnson checked in at 6-7⅜ and 382 pounds with an enormous hand-span of 11¼ inches and a ridiculous 36-inch arm length.
For all of the other stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3844642

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. -- The first day of practice at the 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl was notable for a few reasons, including the absence of a pair of big-name prospects.

Georgia Tech DE Michael Johnson was a late scratch, and there are mixed opinions about the reason he is not in Mobile. Some are saying he's letting a minor but lingering shoulder injury rest. Others theorize he simply isn't motivated to deal with what tends to be a mentally and physically grueling week for NFL draft prospects. Either way, Johnson's no-show is being frowned upon by NFL decision-makers. Johnson has the skills of a top-10 player, but he has frequently performed like a middle-round pick. Some have questioned his commitment to the game, so scouts should be planting red flags firmly next to his name.

Michigan State RB Javon Ringer was a late scratch as well. And while there is no official word as to why Ringer will not participate, he is missing out on an opportunity to prove himself as a receiver out of the backfield and on special teams.

North team buzz
• It's especially tough to evaluate linemen in a first-day practice in shorts and shoulder pads, but Boston College DT B.J. Raji is the clear front-runner to emerge as the top lineman from either side of the ball. Raji showed excellent lateral mobility and initial quickness during one-on-one pass rush drills today.

• California's Alex Mack and Oregon's Max Unger are Scouts Inc.'s top two center prospects and are playing next to each other this week. Mack lines up at left guard when Unger lines up under center and vice versa; both fared well at guard on Day 1. Showing that kind of versatility can only help their draft stock, but like Raji they will also give a more accurate read when they are in full pads.
Day 1 from the Senior Bowl from ESPN.

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 06:25 PM

DAY 2 from Senior Bowl.

North Camp:
Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. -- The second day of practice for the North team at the 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl was notable for a few reasons, including the emergence of an Ohio State receiver and the continued struggles of the QBs.

• On Monday, we said that Boston College DT B.J. Raji is the clear front-runner to emerge as the top prospect at lineman -- defensive or offensive -- in his class by the time we leave Mobile. After this morning's practice, we now feel that he is one of the top two or three prospects here regardless of position. Raji continues to showcase his rare blend of size, burst and agility, and he manhandled highly touted Oregon C Max Unger on more than one occasion. In fact, he got under Unger's pads, drove him back and then put him on his back on one snap during one-on-one pass-rushing drills.

• At this point, Raji's collegiate teammate DT Ron Brace is probably used to living in his shadow, but Brace's play hasn't gone unnoticed by the coaches and front-office personnel in attendance. Brace isn't as explosive or athletic as Raji and is a little too top-heavy at times, but he's doing a good job of holding his ground and flashing the ability to collapse the pocket. In other words, he played like a late second-round or early second-day pick today.

• Northern Illinois's Larry English is separating himself from another undersized defensive end/outside linebacker prospect -- Connecticut's Cody Brown -- and working his way into the first day of the draft. English is playing with more of an edge and showing better upper body than Brown as a run defender. He has also been a step quicker around the corner than Brown has been in rushing the passer.

• While Unger clearly had problems sinking his hips and anchoring in pass protection Tuesday despite weighing in at a respectable 299 pounds, Cal C Alex Mack fared better. Missouri DT Ziggy Hood did beat Mack with a spin move during one-on-one pass rush drills, but Mack did a better job of holding his ground. In addition, he looks to be a split-second quicker than Unger.

• Connecticut OT William Beatty has made a favorable impression during his first two days of practice. Beatty clearly needs to get bigger, but he has room on his frame to bulk up and he's already stronger than his size suggests. More importantly, he moves well and has the long arms to ride edge-rushers past the pocket.
From South Camp:
Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. -- The temperature dipped nearly 20 degrees on Tuesday and swirling winds factored into both practices. It was the first of two days in which both teams will practice in full pads and the intensity level was ratcheted up a few notches as a result.

We have yet to reach the midway point of the 2009 Senior Bowl week, yet players are beginning to separate from the pack in both positive and negative ways. Here's a quick list of some of the early-week standouts from across both rosters:

Biggest risers
1. Boston College DT B.J. Raji
2. Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson
3. USC linebackers Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews
4. Western Michigan S Louis Delmas
5. California C Alex Mack

Biggest fallers
1. KSU G Herman Johnson
2. Central Arkansas QB Nate Brown
3. Alabama QB John Parker Wilson
4. Oklahoma OT Phil Loadholt
5. Penn State WR/RS Derrick Williams

The South team's second day of practice at the 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl was notable for a few reasons, including USC linebackers running wild, a Clemson QB frustrating scouts and an LSU lineman's surprising struggles.

• USC's Brian Cushing is the rare prospect who will fit in any defensive scheme in the NFL. He can play inside or outside in either a 3-4 or 4-3. Very few linebackers have that ability. Where he looked best, though, was over the tight end as a strongside linebacker in the 4-3. His body type, power and aggression lend well to doing battle with opposing tight ends. For a taller linebacker, he gets low and is not a leverage liability. He showed quick hips turning and running with the tight ends. The one area in which he didn't look quite as comfortable was in his read-and-react skills while working in zone coverage. But overall, Cushing's wide skill set drastically reduces his draft-bust factor. If anyone here is a great fit for New England, it's Cushing.

• Cushing's teammate at USC, Clay Matthews, continues to be extremely impressive. He bends very well and always seems to be in proper football position. His change of direction is abrupt yet smooth. As an edge rusher, he did not lose speed bending the corner and got his shoulder low to the ground, making him very difficult to block. His pad level is consistently exceptional and he is an excellent hit-on-the-rise player who makes contact with the same leg and shoulder when taking on blocks. Matthews is very fundamentally sound but also very athletic. He would be an immediate demon on special teams while learning the linebacker position at the NFL level. At this point, it won't surprise us if the USC trio of Cushing, Matthews and Rey Maualuga are all off the board in the first 40 picks.

• Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson continues to turn heads. He isn't the biggest tight end and this type of forum plays very well to his skill set, but his tools are undeniable. He looks like a Dallas Clark-type prospect who can create a lot of schematic problems for an NFL defense if he ends up with a creative and innovative offensive coordinator at the next level. Nelson is a seam-stretching presence who is capable of plucking the ball outside his frame and presents a big target area for his quarterback. He covers a lot of ground and can run past linebackers in man coverage. More surprising, however, has been Nelson's effectiveness as a blocker -- particularly in pass pro. His lateral agility and ability to recover were on full display during the one-on-one drills. He also was able to drop his hips and handle the bull rush from the linebackers off the edge. Needless to say, Nelson is climbing up NFL draft boards this week.

• There are some things that just make you scratch your head in wonder. Take Clemson QB Cullen Harper's Tuesday performance, for example. Harper displayed great balance in the pocket and the arm strength to make all the throws, including a deep out throw from the opposite hash to Arizona WR Mike Thomas that had plenty of zip and hit Thomas directly on the numbers during one-on-one drills. But Harper then missed wide-open South Carolina WR Kenny McKinley a few throws later. This is the same inconsistency that plagued Harper throughout last season. It is also evident Harper struggles with accuracy when he has to anticipate and throw to a spot. A clear example came during seven-on-seven drills when Harper was late anticipating Thomas on a deep dig route, forcing Thomas to open up and make a circus catch. Harper appears to have the physical tools for the NFL level but it is his mental capacity that has scouts weary at this point.

• Speaking of Thomas, he has taken full advantage of the all-star game circuit, starting with the East-West Shrine game and continuing to add to his solid resume here at the Senior Bowl. Thomas' consistency has caught the attention of scouts. He continues to display excellent quickness off the line of scrimmage that gives him an adequate initial cushion to work with against defenders. He also has been able to create separation with quick and crisp cuts out his stem. His hands have been his most impressive trait, though. He's been able to haul in almost every pass he can get his hands on over the past two weeks. Thomas has a chance to make himself a lot of money coming out of this week if he can sustain his current level through Saturday's game action.

Strathclyde Eagle 21-01-2009 06:50 PM

Good work Paul. :p

Talk of moving Pat White to WR is just about borderline racism. I hate it when that happens to black QBs.

And as for Ringer pulling out... well, some media members raised concern about the number of touches he had through the year. Now he misses some and that's a fault? Strange. He's still in my top 3 backs (him, Moreno and Shonn Greene - no, I don't consider Beanie Wells to be anywhere near that good).

Back on the subject of the NFL present, did anyone else hear that story on PTI last night regarding Cowboys' flights during the season? 5 out of 8 left late, and Wade Phillips wanted to increase fines on the players involved. Guess who overruled him?

elliott 21-01-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Good work Paul. :p

Talk of moving Pat White to WR is just about borderline racism. I hate it when that happens to black QBs.

I know the Trifecta are looking at him, and quite probably at WR.

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 08:52 PM

I have one more of value post about the 3 USC Linebackers, posted on Patriots.com via the NFL coverage.

Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. - The position cycle that takes turns annually when it comes to NFL draft prospects has stopped again at linebacker in 2009, just two years after providing the league Patrick Willis, Jon Beason and LaMarr Woodley.

This time, though, the bounty is far more plentiful, as thumpers, rushers and coverage specialists have teams at the top end of the draft set to select their next playmaker, while teams at the middle and lower ends of the first round -- and maybe even second round -- know they'll be able to fill holes where holes, literally, need to be plugged.

"Last year the depth was at offensive tackle, this year you've got quality guys at linebacker, and the thing about it, they are veteran guys, not all juniors so you'll have some guys that have some experience and production," Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said Tuesday after a practice for Saturday's Under Armour Senior Bowl. "Some of these guys can play inside and some can play multiple spots. This group has really smart, good leaders and that's what you're looking for."

Last season, there were just eight linebackers drafted in the first three rounds. USC's Keith Rivers was the highest pick at No. 9 (Cincinnati). The Patriots drafted Jerod Mayo with the 10th pick and Mayo blossomed into the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year. Curtis Lofton, drafted in the second round with the 37th overall selection, was the only inside/middle linebacker selected in the top three rounds.

Lofton (94 tackles) and Mayo (128 tackles) were the only full-time starters to finish the season. Rivers was on his way but he went on injured reserve with a broken jaw, courtesy of a nasty block by Pittsburgh's Hines Ward. Three other rookie linebackers drafted in the top three rounds -– Tavares Gooden (Baltimore), Dan Connor (Carolina) and Shawn Crable (New England) –- also went on IR before completing the season.

This year's group of linebackers features more inside players and more depth and possibly more impact potential. One of, if not the top linebacker draft prospect, is USC middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, who opted not to come out as a junior last year and now is projected as a top-10 pick.

He is one of three USC linebackers at the Senior Bowl, with outside linebackers Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews the others. Like Maualuga, Cushing is expected to be selected in the first round, as could Matthews –- son of former NFL linebacker Clay Matthews. Ohio State's James Laurinaitis, an inside linebacker, and Wake Forest's Aaron Curry, are potential top-10 picks who are not at the Senior Bowl.

"The linebacker group in this year's draft is a very solid group," Miami general manager Jeff Ireland said. "There's some depth there. It's a very solid group."

Every team at the top of the draft, starting with Detroit, which owns the No. 1 overall pick, could use help at linebacker. The Saints, Washington, Kansas City, New England and Baltimore approached Maualuga and Cushing after Tuesday's practice. The Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers also could be replenishing at least one outside linebacker spot.

South team coach Jack Del Rio of the Jacksonville Jaguars -– a USC product –- said he is very impressed with the group of linebackers his alma mater sent him, adding that Maualuga "could be something very special."

At least at this point, Maualuga, isn't quite sure.

"I just came out here to be discovered," said a serious Maualuga. "The coaches may know my name but they don't know how I practice with elite players. They don't know how I compete against tough competition. I want to come out here and give everything I've got and hopefully, my play will speak for itself."

As Maualuga spoke, Cerrato stood outside of a small huddle of reporters, watching how the middle linebacker, who sports the long hair and speaks in the hushed tones of Pittsburgh Steelers safety -– and USC product –- Troy Polamalu. In fact, Maualuga's style of play is similar to that of Polamalu's, except Maualuga (250) weighs about 40 pounds more.

Cerrato's observation of Maualuga showed that the NFL evaluation process these days is more than how a player competes and interviews. It seems to also include how a possible star handles himself with the media.

Maualuga was poised and calm, admitting that, "Off the field I am a soft-spoken guy who likes to keep to myself and doesn't really talk to people," he said. "On the field I come out there and flip the switch. I don't play for myself. I practice for my family and all the other people that doubted me. That switch goes on and it's a different person.

"I've got a lot to prove.
I came out here to get discovered and show coaches the things I didn't get to establish during the season. That I've gotten better. I want to show that I am a complete player. I'm not trying to do too much. I'm just going to try to turn some heads."

Literally, and maybe, figuratively.

The infusion of linebacker talent couldn't come at a more convenient time, as linchpin mainstays like Zack Thomas, Ray Lewis, Keith Brooking, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Peterson and Derrick Brooks are winding down their careers. Mayo, Willis, Beason, Barrett Ruud, James Harrison, DeMarcus Ware, Woodley, Lofa Tatupu, Terrell Suggs and other upstarts have begun the transition, yet there never seems to be enough linebackers to complete the puzzle.

More and more teams, especially those who play 4-3 fronts, are in need of a big-hitting middle linebacker to ease the burden on safeties having to make tackles close to the line of scrimmage. Those teams that play 3-4 fronts want pass rushers with closing speed to limit opponents' big-play potential, especially those teams that thrive off the zone blitz.

What makes this incoming group of linebackers special, besides their athletic gifts and physical nature, is their intelligence. Coaches at the Senior Bowl are throwing boatloads of information at them to see if they make the right calls on passing and run schemes, not only on the field but in the film room. If a linebacker can't figure those things out now, all his physical tools might not mean much.

"Each linebacker has their own responsibility," Matthews said. "We have to talk, figure out whether we're in man coverage or not. We're all having to make special reads. This is why it's good we're here because this is different than [coaches] seeing us on film. They're able to see how we play in person. See what type of competitors we are. With the linebackers in the draft being so deep, you have to set yourself apart and show that you have something in you that makes you want to show why you're better than the other guys."

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 08:59 PM

And I know I said no more Patriots rumours etc etc.

BUT, (this is not something made up by me or via any non-Patriots sources, it is in fact discussed by the writers in their AskPFW segment as well).

There is a buzz going around of big Free Agency movements as well as one trade on defense. This is due to the rumours of Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison retiring as well as the 3 secondary members moving on. And BB has been furious at the Pass Rush as well.

The rumour is a trade of Matt Cassel and a conditional pick for Julius Peppers who wants out of Carolina and wants to go to a 3-4 system. Sounds ridiculous at first, but when you look at it, Delhomme has been hurt, and that playoff performance was frankly embarrassing and likely the final straw. To me, the deal is still unlikely, but I would love it.

The possible Free Agent pickups that I have been told are Jonathan Vilma from New Orleans to go along side Mayo. And either Nnamdi Asomugha (if not franchised) or Jabari Greer of the Buffalo Bills, who like Asomugha was deliberately thrown at in the games against their teams to see how they could handle Randy Moss as he lined up against them.

Take it as I have, as something I have been told by the same person who told me about the Franchising of Cassel and the confirmation of the Wembley game. He has been reliable so far, but I haven't heard anything as big as this from him.

pauldrulez 21-01-2009 09:28 PM

More Senior Bowl news:

Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. - Before he was barely able to take off his helmet following the North team's practice Tuesday morning, Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew was met by scouts from Baltimore, Tampa Bay and Atlanta about setting up interviews for later in the day.

Those won't be the last teams wanting to talk to -- or about -- the top-rated tight end prospect, who, after two days of drills, has done nothing to hurt his stock or first-round projection.

"I'm not real used to that, people reaching out, grabbing for me," said Pettigrew, who caught 112 passes in four seasons at Oklahoma State.

"What's probably helping me is that [NFL offenses] have opened up and teams are splitting big guys and tight ends out and have been trying to do more with them," Pettigrew said. "I fit that. I'm versatile but I am trying to be more complete being attached to the formation and being split out as well."

While Pettigrew said playing in a spread offense at Oklahoma State helped showcase him as a receiver, it opened up questions about his in-line blocking skills. At 6-foot-6 with very long arms, Pettigrew is trying to prove that he is more than capable of holding his own at the line of scrimmage and he did a solid job of sealing off edge defenders on sweep plays during team drills Tuesday.

"They threw us in there and have us doing it all," Pettigrew said of the practice regimen. "When I played early in my career, I wasn't getting it done blocking. I was undersized, about 218 (pounds). I'm up to 257, but I've gotten a lot more attention because we went to the spread."
I'm looking around for the interview lists from each team so far.
Looking for Pats, Phins, Ravens, Panthers, Steelers, Cowboys and Eagles.

They are the main teams featured on here. Any others will be a positive :)