CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Strathclyde Eagle 02-12-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
Nice shiny new 6 year contract for one of our unsung players of the season Brent Celek, only 24 so this latest contract should see him finishing his career with us which I'm more than happy about, one of my favourite players at the moment.

Nothing guaranteed in the NFL though, which works out better for the teams.

And arguably works better than the MLB regimen of players signing for enormous sums, then being a burden to their team when they slump because there's no way to get rid of them.

Still think from what I've learnt of the NBA that their's in the structure to follow, especially for rookies. Something needs to happen to make top ten picks worth having again.

pauldrulez 02-12-2009 09:44 PM

It does come to something when people are considering not picking with the first pick to save money.

It's why the Pats are after the 2011 draft picks. When there likely will be the salary cap.

Strathclyde Eagle 02-12-2009 10:40 PM

Not just that, but the salary/cap hit now is bad enough that no-one wants to trade up any more.

pauldrulez 02-12-2009 10:54 PM

Exacto.

In fact, the only team stupid enough to trade up into the top 10....

Step Forward.

The New York Jets.

:D

Fail.

Strathclyde Eagle 03-12-2009 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Exacto.

In fact, the only team stupid enough to trade up into the top 10....

Step Forward.

The New York Jets.

Fail.

Worth repeating. :D

Just posting up a few avatars.

Peagle, a man after Paul's own heart...

Strathclyde Eagle 03-12-2009 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And, Edenbridge Eagle In Exile, for whom I should have possibly added in a picture of the Rocky statue. ;)

jazman 03-12-2009 12:13 AM

I hate to say this though but I think Sanchez will do well further down the line .. he has a lot about him if he just adds experience ...

Strathclyde Eagle 03-12-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
I hate to say this though but I think Sanchez will do well further down the line .. he has a lot about him if he just adds experience ...

I think so as well.

However at USC level he did far less than Leinart, on a team where the strength was the defence. The smart move he made was to come out last year to ensure himself of a big payday. With some of the QBs coming out this year I don't think he'd have gone as high if he'd have stayed for his senior year.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile 03-12-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
And, Edenbridge Eagle In Exile, for whom I should have possibly added in a picture of the Rocky statue. ;)

Aaaaddrrrrriiiaaaannnnn! :lux: :lux: ;)

Cheers mate! :p

jazman 03-12-2009 10:01 AM

Been listening to the R&R podcast the last couple of days. Very interesting but about concussion. This was brought up initially by Big Ben dipping out of the game at the weekend quite late on. But I must say, Hines Wards comments just go to show what kind of team mate he has in Pittsburgh. He suggested that many players would have played with the same symptoms that Big Ben was showing. Has he not read the memo or seen the media in the last few weeks? The fact that concusssion is a huge issue right now, more so than ever before. I consider Big Ben to be one of the toughest out there but the new ruling has it that you have to be clear of the symptoms for 7 days otherwise you don't play. His symptoms returned pretty late on I understand .... What with Westbrook, DJax and also teh news that Warner is suffering from sight problems, Ward's comments are in such bad taste ....

pauldrulez 03-12-2009 12:21 PM

Ward is a dirty player with a shit attitude towards his teammates.

If he plays hurt, that's his choice. But other players want to be able to walk and talk when their career is over.

pauldrulez 03-12-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I think so as well.

However at USC level he did far less than Leinart, on a team where the strength was the defence. The smart move he made was to come out last year to ensure himself of a big payday. With some of the QBs coming out this year I don't think he'd have gone as high if he'd have stayed for his senior year.

Not a chance would he have been anywhere near the top 10 this year.

Bradford, McCoy and Tebow (to the Jags, to sell tickets) are 3 that would have gone ahead of him if they'd come out last year.

Other see more College Football than I do. Clausen from Notre Dame, how is he looking for the Draft? I saw that he was likely coming out as a Junior.

The guy I liked coming into this year was Jevan Snead from Ole Miss, but he's had a few shocking games that i've watched.

Not sure on any others.

pauldrulez 03-12-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
Aaaaddrrrrriiiaaaannnnn! :lux: :lux: ;)

Who?

jazman 03-12-2009 12:50 PM

PETERSONNNNN!!!! :D

On a serious note, that comment alone has really tainted my view of Ward. Always liked his hard play, he gives it and can take it. But to criticise your own team mate like that on such a hot topic just goes to show what kind of guy he is ...

Swanny32 03-12-2009 03:43 PM

OK, I'm trying to be enthusiastic about Twitter, and I'm trying to use it to try and get into it but I'm failing miserably, I just don't get it.

jazman 03-12-2009 03:52 PM

I'm getting quite addicted to be honest. And I've set up a blog today as well .. still to post my first blog, hopefully will do so tomorrow, it's in draft format right now ... :p

peagle 03-12-2009 07:56 PM

Liking the avatar :D i usually look out for my eagle on threads though so its going to take some getting used to!

jazman 03-12-2009 08:24 PM

First blog posted. Feel free to have a read and let me know your thoughts ...

http://jaytheeagle.blogspot.com/

:p

AddiscombeEagle 03-12-2009 09:06 PM

It's good mate, a decent read and lot of things ring true especially the living in a house and no one interested in sport (although hopefully with age that will change with my daughter) and the "not being able to beat being at a live gig or sporting event" so true.

jazman 03-12-2009 09:14 PM

Thank you fella. Appreciate your kind words ... I was worried I was banging on a bit ...