CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 02:15 AM

Final stat of the day that I enjoyed.

Quote:

4th Quarter... 12:41 remaining. Patriots take over on their own 20.

Result: 20 plays, 73 yards, 12 minutes 12 seconds
Hello Running game.

elliott 28-12-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Yep.

Plus, you have to protect Orton for a good 5/6 seconds.

The best play I have seen was at the end of the half by the Panthers when we faced them.

Moore threw short to Muhammed on a curl, Steve Smith was streaking on a crossing route and took the lateral 60 yards before being knocked out inside the 10.

It completely caught them off-guard. Tough to do on a end-game lateral though as all the players will be back.

I wonder if a flea-flicker type play would work. Toss it out wide, he laterals it back to the RB, back to Orton, deep to Marshall and Intercepted...

Today though, he probably could have taken the hit and let the Offense get on and lateral.

Out of interest, on a kickoff return, can all 11 players be involved in the laterals? As I know only the QB and 5 receivers can be involved on an offensive play.

My mind is too frazzled to deal with this right now anyway.

Laterals are the way to go, even though they rarely work. Or at least not when I watch.

Protection shouldn't be an issue. It should be 5 on 3 up front, and with plenty of room to dance about.

A hook and ladder play would never work against cloud coverage. It just wouldn't.

And yes, anyone can be involved in laterals. No cut blocking can take place.

And any player can be involved in laterals on an offensive play from scrimmage, even linemen. Lateral passes, no forward passes mind.

elliott 28-12-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Where was Mercury this year anyway?

I remember him being nice and vocal at when the Pats were 11-0 onwards.

He's an entertaining guy.

Part of the classic, cynical miserable old Miami crew. I think they're great. They speak the truth. I just don't think any of them like Merc. Or Garo. I'd love an evening with that team though. So many of the players have so many interesting stories. It would be incredible. Like the late 70s Steelers (except some of their more interesting members have since died)

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
Protection shouldn't be an issue. It should be 5 on 3 up front, and with plenty of room to dance about.

A hook and ladder play would never work against cloud coverage. It just wouldn't.

And yes, anyone can be involved in laterals. No cut blocking can take place.

And any player can be involved in laterals on an offensive play from scrimmage, even linemen. Lateral passes, no forward passes mind.

On the last point then, I have to blame a commentator as well as myself. When the ball fell to a linemen and picked it up, he called the game over and the whistles were blown. Ever since, i've assumed that was why. Thinking about it, it could have been knocked forward at one point.

I know you do some co-ordinating over here, how do you make yourself known to the coaches in the US? Do they scout the BAFL and the few Uni teams that I know of?

Or do you have to move to the US to be found?

elliott 28-12-2009 02:56 AM

I still play. I'm hoping to be an OC at some point. But not yet.

And its almost impossible to get anywhere in America. You've got no chance, and they show almost no respect to any kind of British football (rightfully really).

If you want to do anything in America, you need to start small in America and earn respect. But even then, its nigh on impossible, especially if you are English.

I am one day hoping to coach or referee in the US, depending on what kind of school I work at obviously!

peagle 28-12-2009 03:00 AM

Just finished watching the game. Good pats display but I was very dissapointed wit Jacksonville.

sLlll 28-12-2009 04:05 AM

Cowboys on course :p

sLlll 28-12-2009 05:11 AM

Play offs here we come :lux:

Strathclyde Eagle 28-12-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Laterals are the way to go, even though they rarely work. Or at least not when I watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott
I just don't think any of them like Merc. Or Garo.

I think they like Merc, especially the way he turned his life around.

Garo's a different matter. Remember Manny Fernandez's comment about him in SB VII? I don't think he was was annoyed by the appalling pass, more the "attempt" at a tackle on the guy returning it. :D

BTW can't help feeling that playing the reserves yesterday comes back to bite the Colts some way. I still don't think we know that much about Caldwell's abilities at this point.

Strathclyde Eagle 28-12-2009 10:08 AM

Love it. :D

BTW, kickers this year, really?

Strathclyde Eagle 28-12-2009 10:35 AM

Jets-Bengals flexed up to next Sunday night. About as fair as could be I suppose, Bengals getting the #3 is out of their hands to some extent and the Jets need a win anyway.

elliott 28-12-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Garo's a different matter. Remember Manny Fernandez's comment about him in SB VII? I don't think he was was annoyed by the appalling pass, more the "attempt" at a tackle on the guy returning it. :D

See I find that bizarre, considering the man was voted the best kicker of the 70s. Pussy, he may be, but one of the best kickers of all time? Probably. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that he should be the only kicker in the HOF. The chiefs kicker, Jan Stenerud is the only kicker in the HOF, and Garo consistently outkicked Stenerud.

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Love it. :D

BTW, kickers this year, really?

:D

Bet his wife still thinks they are 15-0.

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Jets-Bengals flexed up to next Sunday night. About as fair as could be I suppose, Bengals getting the #3 is out of their hands to some extent and the Jets need a win anyway.

The only other option was Cowboys and Eagles.

I'll play guess the SKY games:
6pm: Patriots Backups @ Texans. Texans going for play-offs. But, it'll likely be Steelers @ Dolphins.
9pm: Eagles @ Cowboys
1.20am: Bengals @ Jets.

sLlll 28-12-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

The only other option was Cowboys and Eagles.

I'll play guess the SKY games:
6pm: Patriots Backups @ Texans. Texans going for play-offs. But, it'll likely be Steelers @ Dolphins.
9pm: Eagles @ Cowboys
1.20am: Bengals @ Jets.

If you are right then the Cowboys would have been on TV 10 times in the regular season. That's more coverage than the Americans get outside of Texas :D

It must be our popularity and the fact that we are America's Team :p

Oh and the anticipation that we are going to do very well :lux:

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 02:30 PM

God I hope they put Baltimore or Denver on instead.

Can't we just pray for an asteroid to land on the stadium?

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 07:10 PM

Guess what the excellent people at Sky have done.

They are showing the Saints and Panthers in a game that means absolutely nothing.

Whereas they could have chosen one of 2 crucial AFC games for the 5th or 6th seed.

Yet another reason to consider moving out of this hellhole.

Strathclyde Eagle 28-12-2009 07:29 PM

That is an absolutely ludicrous decision.

pauldrulez 28-12-2009 07:44 PM

A lot of people not happy about the NFC East game either.

That is a game that could see backups in there at times. They are playing each other the week after anyway which is more important.

One late hit on Romo from Cole and he's out of the next game.

As someone said on NFLUK, SKY have the biggest bias towards the NFC East and have done for years.

There are 2, maybe 3 games I would have preferred to see at 6pm ahead of the Saints game.

And I would have liked to see the Raiders try and act as spoilers against the Ravens. And the Chiefs trying to stop the Broncos. Incidentally, neither team have been shown this year on Sky. Which is bang out-of-order.

jazman 28-12-2009 09:30 PM

Well the Cowboys certainly turned up against the Saints last week and did what not other team had managed. Then the Bucs go and repeat the result yesterday. But the Cowboys followed it up with a win against a poor Skins team last night. Very happy right now, particularly as we clinch a play off place and are in contention for the division title next weekend. It seems to still be up for grabs for the number two seed if the Vikings lose their final two games. Even more pleasing is the way that we are moving the ball so well. I could mention a number of players that are bang on form at the right time for us right now but Romo has finally proven a few things to the doubters ... and that damn December hoodoo ends. So much football left to play ... but happy days right now.

Incidently, Five have the NFC East finale as the late game next weekend.