CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Trolley 19-09-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 15411269)
Well, you should be on top of the bonfire, whoever you are today.

That's not very nice.I'm afraid you are another person who is of the mistaken belief that TROLLEY is somehow "Operated" by a cabal when nothing is further from the truth.I am the same gentleman who joined the "Good Ship BBS" way back in 1999.Have a lovely weekend and a win today will be just the tonic.Look after yourself in these troubled times.

chateauferret 19-09-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 15411155)
Every little helps.
Crystal Palace nil.

Glad All Over!

davech 19-09-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 15411224)
What ever happened to Penny for the Guy?

Too few people understand the relevance of November 5th these days.

Goes back also to the days when fireworks were a pleasant family experience (baked potatoes in the bonfire, dad losing his spare work trousers) and not the present-day incendiary devices. My brother and I often used to make a few shillings with penny for the guy for a few extra bangers and coloured sparklers. Such is progress :(.

Oldtown Eagle 19-09-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 15411315)
Too few people understand the relevance of November 5th these days.

Goes back also to the days when fireworks were a pleasant family experience (baked potatoes in the bonfire, dad losing his spare work trousers) and not the present-day incendiary devices. My brother and I often used to make a few shillings with penny for the guy for a few extra bangers and coloured sparklers. Such is progress :(.

I agree. Although the Catherine Wheel may be linked to an instrument of torture, nailing one to the fence and trying to get to spin is far more enjoyable than a million quid display.

Martin H 19-09-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15411192)
Never understood how T or T caught on here, wasn't around when my wife and I were were kids.

Further don't understand the concept in this day and age when you tell kids not to take sweets of strangers. We were told that as kids.

When you see what happened to Madeleine mccann, why as a parent would you let your kids go knocking on strangers doors.

I do see some responsible parents accompany their kids, I guess that's not too bad.

Very unusual for any to turn up at the door without their parents these days and when it does happen they are normally in large groups. What bugs me is that they are like locusts. The concept of ‘take one unless offered more, seems to have passed them by and we have to siphon the stock of goodies into a smaller bowl these days or the first one just grabs them all. Would normally urge them to take a couple but they seem to start with a handful. Parents just playing on their phones taking no notice. As a kid we didn’t ‘do Halloween. Guy fawkes and Xmas

Martin H 19-09-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 15411351)
I agree. Although the Catherine Wheel may be linked to an instrument of torture, nailing one to the fence and trying to get to spin is far more enjoyable than a million quid display.

They were typically a disaster though werenít they? Puddly little things that putted and stuck before blowing themselves off the fence. One year my Dad proudly came home with a monster one mounted on a wooden frame with what looked like a series of rockets horizontally strapped to the edge to make it spin. Elaborate lighting mechanism and huge. Massive anticipation and most of the street was in to watch. Came to the big moment and he lit it and stood back as per... nothing, nervous looks, more nothing, lots of peering and staring. As the moans from the kids started he stepped forward and it started but only one rocket which gave it a half turn and cockeyed it must have bent something and so it just stopped dead. The flames lit the other rockets at the wrong end and it seemed to turn into an intense inferno like a blow torch before blowing up and taking the fence post cap with it and leaving the post on fire. As mothers had by then scuttled the younger ones away fearing for their lives we were all left rolling around laughing while my Dad attempted to put out fire. Awesome and worth every penny for the comedy element but useless. My Dad saw the funny side but only after expressing his anger in rich Anglo Saxon terms. A classic.

Purepalace 19-09-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15411428)
They were typically a disaster though werenít they? Puddly little things that putted and stuck before blowing themselves off the fence. One year my Dad proudly came home with a monster one mounted on a wooden frame with what looked like a series of rockets horizontally strapped to the edge to make it spin. Elaborate lighting mechanism and huge. Massive anticipation and most of the street was in to watch. Came to the big moment and he lit it and stood back as per... nothing, nervous looks, more nothing, lots of peering and staring. As the moans from the kids started he stepped forward and it started but only one rocket which gave it a half turn and cockeyed it must have bent something and so it just stopped dead. The flames lit the other rockets at the wrong end and it seemed to turn into an intense inferno like a blow torch before blowing up and taking the fence post cap with it and leaving the post on fire. As mothers had by then scuttled the younger ones away fearing for their lives we were all left rolling around laughing while my Dad attempted to put out fire. Awesome and worth every penny for the comedy element but useless. My Dad saw the funny side but only after expressing his anger in rich Anglo Saxon terms. A classic.

:D

https://i.postimg.cc/xj3tsDT4/580787...8ff6cce5-b.jpg

Trolley 19-09-2020 12:16 PM

My good self always enjoyed the 'Rockets' as they soared up into the night sky with a "Whoosh" sound before that starburst of colours drawing an "Ooh" from the crowds below.Very pretty and candescent.In bygone days I was taken to Lewes for their famed bonfire and fireworks display which has always drawn a large crowd,unfortunately I now have to use a stick so I cannot attend such events.Such is life.

Selhurst Celtic 19-09-2020 12:38 PM

Fireworks are banned in Ireland (you have to drive to the North to get them) and yet pretty much everyone has a stash of semtex and an armalite under some blankets in the wardrobe. Unbelievable Jeff.

davech 19-09-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 15411351)
I agree. Although the Catherine Wheel may be linked to an instrument of torture, nailing one to the fence and trying to get to spin is far more enjoyable than a million quid display.

To my memory, we NEVER got a Catherine Wheel to work...

Prince Phillip 19-09-2020 12:57 PM

Indoor fireworks always a great disappointment, too. A box of items resembling different coloured cat turds to light up.

Panther 19-09-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 15411351)
I agree. Although the Catherine Wheel may be linked to an instrument of torture, nailing one to the fence and trying to get to spin is far more enjoyable than a million quid display.

Especially when it falls off and into the rest of the fireworks, which explode in consequence sending a rocket through a neighbourís window. Which happened to us in about 1960.

Paulinmorden 19-09-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 15411494)
To my memory, we NEVER got a Catherine Wheel to work...

Remember one that work so well it set the fence alight. Also banned even when I was young Jumping Jack's. You put it on the ground and lit it and it randomly jumped all over the place. And genies made by emptying the powder from a number of bangers and lighting in one go.

Worksop Palace 19-09-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 15411351)
I agree. Although the Catherine Wheel may be linked to an instrument of torture, nailing one to the fence and trying to get to spin is far more enjoyable than a million quid display.

I set fire to a fence panel in our back garden a few years ago with a CW.

As you were.

pots1970 19-09-2020 01:14 PM

My fondest memory of my dad involved him building a huge guy for my young siblings, which was to be entered in to a best guy competition, in Herne Bay park. This guy was bloody enormous, at least 6 foot tall, we went to the park with this thing laying across a 2 child buggy. We got there and found that the display was using an open top bus, with the old jump on, jump off platform at the back. Instead of propping the guy against the bus like all the others had been, my dad using shoe laces , decided to tie this huge guy on to the platform at the bottom of the stairs going to the upper deck, once done he settled back admiring his work and awaited the guaranteed victory. There was a largish crowd which suddenly parted allowing, Wolf from gladiator, his entourage and Herne Bay bigwigs, through, they made a bee line to the bus where without our knowledge they were giving out awards to local heroes, the presentation was to be from the upper deck of the bus. This huge guy completely blocked the stairs and a commotion soon ensued. My poor dad went to remove the guy, he had no scissors and in the dark found the knotts impossible to untie, the head fell off and rolled away and dismemberment the was his only option, leaving 2 arms and a leg behind. He never won the competition.

Martin H 19-09-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic (Post 15411493)
Fireworks are banned in Ireland (you have to drive to the North to get them) and yet pretty much everyone has a stash of semtex and an armalite under some blankets in the wardrobe. Unbelievable Jeff.

Few years back we discovered that a third of a mile away we had a stock of buried Semtex. We all thought it was a Distribution Haulage company based on what used to be a farm, well it was one, both in the normal sense but also for the bombs they were making and shipping around Europe apparently. Gulp. So apparently Wakefield was the place for Rhubarb lovers and terrorist organisations to get the best in Europe. Helicopters, roads blocked off army and police everywhere. Now they have knocked it all down and built a small housing development instead. Not sure I would dig in their gardens mind.

Might explain that large sweaty parcel we received once. We politely explained itís not for us, adding that I think you are looking for ĎMcGinty the bombí at number 25..... No one had a clue

KYLIE MINEAGLE 19-09-2020 03:14 PM

We used to find a block of flats with a lift. O pen the lift door press the button to the top floor then lob in a twopenny canon banger and leg it. The noise as it went off was incredible.

Ardent Eagle Forever 19-09-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 15411224)
What ever happened to Penny for the Guy?

Yeah what happened to penny for the guy?

Ardent Eagle Forever 19-09-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15411403)
Very unusual for any to turn up at the dorm without their parents these days and when it does happen they are normally in large groups. What bugs me is that they are like locusts. The concept of Ďtake one unless offered more, seems to have passed them by and we have to siphon the stock of goodies into a smaller bowl these days or the first one just grabs them all. Would normally urge them to take a couple but they seem to start with a handful. Parents just playing on their phones taking no notice. As a kid we didnít Ďdo Halloween. Guy fawkes and Xmas


Always tempted to give ex lax chocolate. Wicked mind, sorry. That'll teach them to take sweets from strangers :supergrin:

Stranger danger.

Ardent Eagle Forever 19-09-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic (Post 15411493)
Fireworks are banned in Ireland (you have to drive to the North to get them) and yet pretty much everyone has a stash of semtex and an armalite under some blankets in the wardrobe. Unbelievable Jeff.

Would have thought that they were still banned in the north. They were in 78/79 during the troubles. As were toy guns.

Martin H 19-09-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15411872)
Always tempted to give ex lax chocolate. Wicked mind, sorry. That'll teach them to take sweets from strangers :supergrin:

Stranger danger.

Sneaky. Probably take out the parents as well as they always arrive chomping on the kids horde. :) we always get loads of stuff in for them. One year we went to town and dressed the house, went to the door in stuff and had thriller laughs blasting out when they arrived but tbh they were just interested in the sweets, so we donít bother. It just wasnít a serious thing when I was a kid but we seem to have caught it from the us via Facebook etc etc. TBH we donít seem to be able to tell the difference

Paulinmorden 19-09-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15411850)
We used to find a block of flats with a lift. O pen the lift door press the button to the top floor then lob in a twopenny canon banger and leg it. The noise as it went off was incredible.

Have been present when a banger was lit in an old glass milk bottle. You had to run and hide behind something very solid. One friend also threw one into a letterbox. I was already running home as fast as possible by the time that went off.

Stavros 69 19-09-2020 04:20 PM

Dog owners who don’t pick up their shit.

Stavros 69 19-09-2020 04:21 PM

Cyclists who think it’s ok to cycle At stupid speeds on a narrow path, coming from behind.

Stellavista 19-09-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15411964)
Dog owners who donít pick up their shit.

Shouldn't they be using a toilet?

Stellavista 19-09-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15411966)
Cyclists who think itís ok to cycle At stupid speeds on a narrow path, coming from behind.

I've lost count of the times I've had to dodge a speeding pavement cyclist when coming out of the garden gate.
My favourite was the one who ended up face planting into the bins, and then began to berate me for coming out without warning. Twat.

davech 19-09-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15411966)
Cyclists who think itís ok to cycle At stupid speeds on a narrow path, coming from behind.

Get out of the way. They own the path. Like they own all the roads in the country. And get eyes in the back of your head too.

Purepalace 19-09-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15411877)
Would have thought that they were still banned in the north. They were in 78/79 during the troubles. As were toy guns.

You need a licence.

Hedgehog 19-09-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15411166)
I had a ryobi cordless drill. After a year the batteries weren't holding their charges. Not a happy bunny. Have a de walt cordless brushless drill. It's very good.

To be fair I think all rechargeable battery packs have a limited life span.

I've got a DeWalt cordless drill with 2 battery packs in the kit. I always have to have one on the charger if I'm drilling a bunch of holes.

I fully expect the leaf blowers power pack to diminish power life over the year.

west country boy 19-09-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15412017)
I've lost count of the times I've had to dodge a speeding pavement cyclist when coming out of the garden gate.
My favourite was the one who ended up face planting into the bins, and then began to berate me for coming out without warning. Twat.

These people do not exist, according to stevek.

Maidstoned Eagle 19-09-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15412192)
These people do not exist, according to stevek.

And if they did its.ok because car drivers do it as well.

Sharkba1t 20-09-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15412017)
I've lost count of the times I've had to dodge a speeding pavement cyclist when coming out of the garden gate.
My favourite was the one who ended up face planting into the bins, and then began to berate me for coming out without warning. Twat.

Lol, served the twat right. Did you make any comment? :lux:

Olympian2 20-09-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15412017)
I've lost count of the times I've had to dodge a speeding pavement cyclist when coming out of the garden gate.
My favourite was the one who ended up face planting into the bins, and then began to berate me for coming out without warning. Twat.

:p

I was waiting at a red light recently, when a cyclist cruised past me (through the red light, obviously), ear-buds in, texting & not wearing a helmet.

I mentioned this to to her when I caught up with her at the next set of lights (I’m guessing she was on a ‘skip one, stop at one’ cycle). She was suitably apologetic.

Sharkba1t 20-09-2020 10:02 AM

Those gangs of teenagers on bikes doing wheelies on busy roads. Lairy fkers. And not just cyclists on the pavements, I’ve seen lots of idiots on those motorised scooters going too fast on the pavements too.

Purepalace 20-09-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15412017)
I've lost count of the times I've had to dodge a speeding pavement cyclist when coming out of the garden gate.
My favourite was the one who ended up face planting into the bins, and then began to berate me for coming out without warning. Twat.

A lamp post, a gate post and piano wire :angel:

Reps AJ 20-09-2020 01:09 PM

Just been to drop the glass off at the recycling and people have left a load of plastic bags on the floor.

What sort of person is bothered enough to take their glass to be recycled but not bothered enough to put their plastic bags in the bin?

bubbs11 20-09-2020 01:31 PM

Headphones, when you’re going about your business and the leads get caught on furniture and are violently yanked out of your ears. Grrrr. It’s irritating as you want to blame someone else for it but can’t.

Stellavista 20-09-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15414928)
Headphones, when youíre going about your business and the leads get caught on furniture and are violently yanked out of your ears. Grrrr. Itís irritating as you want to blame someone else for it but canít.

You know wireless exists?

Martin H 20-09-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15415611)
You know wireless exists?

It goes very quiet if you take the wires off though :( ........

Leaves quietly, sorry.

strawberry mivi 20-09-2020 05:42 PM

Why arenít you listening to the music in your head?

bubbs11 20-09-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15415611)
You know wireless exists?

Tried some once and the whole pairing up palaver done my head in.

Stellavista 20-09-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15415845)
Tried some once and the whole pairing up palaver done my head in.

Ear trumpet, gaffered to your head?

bubbs11 20-09-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15415847)
Ear trumpet, gaffered to your head?

:D.

Canít believe Iím admitting this but when I used to run long distance, those bud earphones were just not compatible with my ears and annoyingly kept falling out, so out came the gaffer tape to resolve the problem.

My inner Mr Bean can be strong with me at times.

Ardent Eagle Forever 20-09-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15411964)
Dog owners who donít pick up their shit.

Humans who don't pick up their litter and who throw their fag buts on the deck or out of their cars.

ElwissAtMemphis 20-09-2020 08:55 PM

I stumbled across "The Two Escobars" on BBC iPlayer last night. It's a Storyville documentary about Pablo Escobar and other Colombian Drug Lord's influence on the country's football. In particular Nacional of Medellin (unsurprisingly) winning The Copa Libertadores in 1989, and how it all tragically spiralled out of control with the murder of Colombia full-back Andres Escobar after his own goal in the 1994 World Cup against USA (spoiler alert ... )

If you're a fair bit younger than me and don't know the story, then it should be fascinating. For the rest of us, there's not a whole lot new but it's still very interesting. If you like it, check out the other documentary about his hippos and how they escaped his private zoo after his death and have subsequently flourished in the Colombian countryside. I don't have its name to hand (in fact there could be more than one) but it should be easy to find and is well worth watching.

west country boy 20-09-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15416153)
I stumbled across "The Two Escobars" on BBC iPlayer last night. It's a Storyville documentary about Pablo Escobar and other Colombian Drug Lord's influence on the country's football. In particular Nacional of Medellin (unsurprisingly) winning The Copa Libertadores in 1989, and how it all tragically spiralled out of control with the murder of Colombia full-back Andres Escobar after his own goal in the 1994 World Cup against USA (spoiler alert ... )

If you're a fair bit younger than me and don't know the story, then it should be fascinating. For the rest of us, there's not a whole lot new but it's still very interesting. If you like it, check out the other documentary about his hippos and how they escaped his private zoo after his death and have subsequently flourished in the Colombian countryside. I don't have its name to hand (in fact there could be more than one) but it should be easy to find and is well worth watching.

It doesn't sound that annoying.

Reps AJ 20-09-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15416153)
I stumbled across "The Two Escobars" on BBC iPlayer last night. It's a Storyville documentary about Pablo Escobar and other Colombian Drug Lord's influence on the country's football. In particular Nacional of Medellin (unsurprisingly) winning The Copa Libertadores in 1989, and how it all tragically spiralled out of control with the murder of Colombia full-back Andres Escobar after his own goal in the 1994 World Cup against USA (spoiler alert ... )

If you're a fair bit younger than me and don't know the story, then it should be fascinating. For the rest of us, there's not a whole lot new but it's still very interesting. If you like it, check out the other documentary about his hippos and how they escaped his private zoo after his death and have subsequently flourished in the Colombian countryside. I don't have its name to hand (in fact there could be more than one) but it should be easy to find and is well worth watching.

Did you mean the things that annouy you thread?

I would also recommend Narcos on Netflix about Escobar

Hedgehog 20-09-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15415845)
Tried some once and the whole pairing up palaver done my head in.

Says the guy that can make brilliant animated movies and post them on YouTube.

Oh, and like you, ear buds won't stay in my ears... I have some Bose (corded) earbuds that have these plastic attachments that fit in all the nooks and crannies of the ear and don't fall out. Don't look cool, but really work well.

ElwissAtMemphis 20-09-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15416170)
It doesn't sound that annoying.

Oh shit. I wondered where that post had gone to. Intended for the "Recommend a TV programme" thread. I have no idea how that happened apart from being pissed.

Is it worth moving? Probably not. Sorry.

west country boy 20-09-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 15416189)
Oh shit. I wondered where that post had gone to. Intended for the "Recommend a TV programme" thread. I have no idea how that happened apart from being pissed.

Is it worth moving? Probably not. Sorry.

:p

I reckon it's definitely worth reposting as loads of people on that thread love Narcos.

Mr Mojo Risin 21-09-2020 09:13 PM

Schmaltzy or upbeat adverts that reference the coronavirus.

bubbs11 21-09-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15416170)
It doesn't sound that annoying.

It was for Escobar.

Mr Statto 21-09-2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15411966)
Cyclists who think itís ok to cycle At stupid speeds on a narrow path, coming from behind.

We were up on the South Downs Way with the dog a couple of weeks ago. Path was maybe 6 feet wide at this point, there's 3 of us spread out plus Archie on the extending lead. First we knew of this idiot cyclist was the skidding noise as he jammed his brakes on a few feet away, no bell, no warning. The path was pretty straight at this point so he'd have seen us in plenty of time

Hedgehog 22-09-2020 12:28 AM

I just renewed my Auto Club membership, and the conformation No. was: 2216684559203330921202015228200A

WTF! On what planet does that many numbers have any meaning???

PeterH 22-09-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 15417727)
Schmaltzy or upbeat adverts that reference the coronavirus.

It didn't annoy me, but I recently saw an advert for some disinfectant - maybe Lysoform or ome such. They mentioned the stat of killing 99.....% of viruses.

I am sure they used to use the word bacteria.

redsox 22-09-2020 01:04 AM

can't use the word bacteria anymore as it offends Brighton and hove

biggus mickus 22-09-2020 04:39 AM

When a fox walks through screaming its head off, setting my dogs off at 03.30am.
I am now drinking tea and reading.

My dogs are now sleeping. Bastards.

CT_Palace 22-09-2020 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15417969)
I just renewed my Auto Club membership, and the conformation No. was: 2216684559203330921202015228200A

WTF! On what planet does that many numbers have any meaning???

:D
Itís a funny thing to get annoyed about.

A good observation H, true, but funny.

Hedgehog 22-09-2020 04:59 AM

.

Hedgehog 22-09-2020 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15418032)
:D
It’s a funny thing to get annoyed about.

A good observation H, true, but funny.

I guess annoyed is not the right word... but posted here for want of a better place.

I seem to recall there is a "Things you don't understand" thread somewhere... but the Mods don't like us digging up old threads! :D

Oh, and now I'm 65 I'm entitled to get annoyed at odd things! :p

Like double posts....

PeterH 22-09-2020 05:07 AM

Capitalist pig dogs trying to be right on anarchists.

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15417969)
I just renewed my Auto Club membership, and the conformation No. was: 2216684559203330921202015228200A

WTF! On what planet does that many numbers have any meaning???

I hate it when the number is not a prime number.....but the reference is unique

Hedgehog 22-09-2020 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15418045)
I hate it when the number is not a prime number.....but the reference is unique

More like bloody Pi!

I do see today's date in there... but with all those numbers that might be a coincidence!

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15418051)
More like bloody Pi!

I do see today's date in there... but with all those numbers that might be a coincidence!

21-09-2020?

I see they have added the date to your unique reference number and added couple of extra digits random to make it unique. But it is massive, they need to come with another idea me thinks

Adlerhorst 22-09-2020 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15418056)
21-09-2020?

I see they have added the date to your unique reference number and added couple of extra digits random to make it unique. But it is massive, they need to come with another idea me thinks

another equally ridiculous thing involving date of births.

One of the largest pension groups in the U.K. sets up user ids for online logins using the users date of birth with a few additional digits.

PIE "N" MASH 22-09-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus mickus (Post 15418025)
When a fox walks through screaming its head off, setting my dogs off at 03.30am.
I am now drinking tea and reading.

My dogs are now sleeping. Bastards.

Get it every night.Wanker 4 doors up feeds the feckin things:veryangry

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15417969)
I just renewed my Auto Club membership, and the conformation No. was: 2216684559203330921202015228200A

WTF! On what planet does that many numbers have any meaning???

Just logged into your membership using that number....

chateauferret 22-09-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15418058)
another equally ridiculous thing involving date of births.

One of the largest pension groups in the U.K. sets up user ids for online logins using the users date of birth with a few additional digits.

You don't really want things like dates of birth or other public personal information in an identifier because they help fraudsters guess your identifier. The National Health Service CHI number for example is prone to being guessed because it consists of the date of birth and just about enough other information to disambiguate. Long identifiers like the one above are harder to hack, but any publicly known data in them is essentially redundant because a fraudster could already know these details. It will probably contain a checksum, because this allows checking of the validity of an identifier without a database lookup (up to a point), and also means that most identifiers "made up" by a fraudster will be invalid, unless the checksum function has been compromised.

davech 22-09-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15417969)
I just renewed my Auto Club membership, and the conformation No. was: 2216684559203330921202015228200A

WTF! On what planet does that many numbers have any meaning???

It's the 'A' on the end that is critical :D

Trolley 22-09-2020 11:17 AM

I recognise that elongated number from my eye-test.

PIE "N" MASH 22-09-2020 11:29 AM

Basildon council and the inability to rent me an empty garage.Absolute useless idiots.Garage number 4,6 and 7 opposite my house has been empty for over a year,yet they tell me there's a waiting list:wallbash::wallbash:

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15418174)
You don't really want things like dates of birth or other public personal information in an identifier because they help fraudsters guess your identifier. The National Health Service CHI number for example is prone to being guessed because it consists of the date of birth and just about enough other information to disambiguate. Long identifiers like the one above are harder to hack, but any publicly known data in them is essentially redundant because a fraudster could already know these details. It will probably contain a checksum, because this allows checking of the validity of an identifier without a database lookup (up to a point), and also means that most identifiers "made up" by a fraudster will be invalid, unless the checksum function has been compromised.

The things you learn from Google, nice to see the free wifi on your bus is being used properly.

Reps AJ 22-09-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15418612)
The things you learn from Google, nice to see the free wifi on your bus is being used properly.

I'm pretty sure he said he did "data" for a living, if I've got the right poster.

chateauferret 22-09-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15418722)
I'm pretty sure he said he did "data" for a living, if I've got the right poster.

I am no longer engaging with this seven-year-old playground bully who seems to think following me about and putting me down in exactly the same non-funny, boring, repetitive way over and over again is a good use of his time; but yes, you are right. I've been designing stuff like that professionally since 2004.

Stavros 69 22-09-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 15416026)
Humans who don't pick up their litter and who throw their fag buts on the deck or out of their cars.

Defo with your on this one.

Maz 22-09-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15418730)
I am no longer engaging with this seven-year-old playground bully who seems to think following me about and putting me down in exactly the same non-funny, boring, repetitive way over and over again is a good use of his time; but yes, you are right. I've been designing stuff like that professionally since 2004.

That looks like engaging to me.

Joe85 22-09-2020 01:21 PM

Standing in a lift with clear signage: ďYou must wear a maskĒ and some dick walking in not wearing a mask.

Asking them to politely put one on and it nearly escalating into a punch up.

Twice today

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15418722)
I'm pretty sure he said he did "data" for a living, if I've got the right poster.

He says he did a lot of things for a living, the blokes a bullshitter.

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15418730)
I am no longer engaging with this seven-year-old playground bully who seems to think following me about and putting me down in exactly the same non-funny, boring, repetitive way over and over again is a good use of his time; but yes, you are right. I've been designing stuff like that professionally since 2004.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C16K73/a-f...don-C16K73.jpg

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 15418786)
That looks like engaging to me.

I'm a very engaging person.

Maz 22-09-2020 01:50 PM

I know that :)

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15418145)
Just logged into your membership using that number....

Did you find that annoying?


:)

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15418058)
another equally ridiculous thing involving date of births.

One of the largest pension groups in the U.K. sets up user ids for online logins using the users date of birth with a few additional digits.

I do think that is wrong. I understand it is easy to find the person but they can keep that as a unique customer ID for their reference than giving it as a reference for the customer

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trolley (Post 15418550)
I recognise that elongated number from my eye-test.

Bernard Castle?

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15418957)
Did you find that annoying?


:)

No, but hedgey might when he wakes up and finds out what I've done. ;)

Reps AJ 22-09-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15418863)
He says he did a lot of things for a living, the blokes a bullshitter.

I'm not sure whats wrong with the world when either someone would fake being a data architect or someone would think that someone would fake being a data architect.

That has annoyed me.

chateauferret 22-09-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15419255)
I'm not sure whats wrong with the world when either someone would fake being a data architect or someone would think that someone would fake being a data architect.

That has annoyed me.

You can remove this annoyance in the same way as I have done - by placing idiots like him on ignore. Apparently he still hasn't noticed.

Hedgehog 22-09-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15418145)
Just logged into your membership using that number....

Good luck getting a tow truck to come to Spain...

west country boy 22-09-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15418965)
Bernard Castle?

Who's he?

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15419174)
No, but hedgey might when he wakes up and finds out what I've done. ;)

Lol

Bless him

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15419326)
Good luck getting a tow truck to come to Spain...

That would be annoying waiting for a tow truck to come all the way from LA to Spain......

Hedgehog 22-09-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 15419344)
That would be annoying waiting for a tow truck to come all the way from LA to Spain......

Trust me, from experience, it's annoying waiting for a tow truck to come all the way from just around the corner...

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15419278)
You can remove this annoyance in the same way as I have done - by placing idiots like him on ignore. Apparently he still hasn't noticed.

Apparently I don't give a shit. :hi:

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15419353)
Trust me, from experience, it's annoying waiting for a tow truck to come all the way from just around the corner...

You'll have plenty to choose from soon. ;)

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 15419255)
I'm not sure whats wrong with the world when either someone would fake being a data architect or someone would think that someone would fake being a data architect.

That has annoyed me.

Don't sweat it sugar tits. :love:

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15419336)
Who's he?

:)

It should have read Barnard Castle.....Just testing eye sights here and looks like you passed

RazorsEdge 22-09-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 15419353)
Trust me, from experience, it's annoying waiting for a tow truck to come all the way from just around the corner...

Agree

Slimbloke'H' 22-09-2020 10:33 PM

You lot. Miserable ****ers, all of you. :)

PeterH 23-09-2020 01:16 AM

I would hate to think I am missing Pete's little barbs by having him on ignore.

Ding Ding, fares please.

the digger 23-09-2020 10:41 AM

People who don't recognise that there are socio-economic factors that affect the spread of viruses.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.