CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Olympics (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260049)

Adlerhorst 03-08-2021 07:26 AM

400m hurdles final probably the best race (in terms of performances) I have ever seen. Karsten Warholm smashes the old world record by nearly 0.8 seconds, Rai Benjamin in silver also smashed the old record, and the dude in bronze who was barely in the screen shot is 0.02 seconds outside the old world record.

Genuinely incredible.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 03-08-2021 10:25 AM

Big day for GB in the sailing . Two gold and a silver.

Jukesy 03-08-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15930566)
400m hurdles final probably the best race (in terms of performances) I have ever seen. Karsten Warholm smashes the old world record by nearly 0.8 seconds, Rai Benjamin in silver also smashed the old record, and the dude in bronze who was barely in the screen shot is 0.02 seconds outside the old world record.

Genuinely incredible.

A White athlete knocks nearly 1 second of a world record that he set in a sprint race and no eyebrows are being raised?:confused:

Adlerhorst 03-08-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukesy (Post 15930698)
A White athlete knocks nearly 1 second of a world record that he set in a sprint race and no eyebrows are being raised?:confused:

Itís a technical race as opposed to a flat out sprint, and he executed flawlessly.

A 19 year old white girl just smashed the uk 800m record if you want a target

Levski 03-08-2021 05:45 PM

Is anyone else finding the BBC coverage of this Olympics to be basically unwatchable? I know its purchased from Discovery Channel so they have much reduced right, but what they do have is just a mess. Red button / iplayer is all over the place. It is arranged by days and programmes, but it should surely be arranged by sport, no? I can't find anything I want to watch.

Adlerhorst 03-08-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levski (Post 15931057)
Is anyone else finding the BBC coverage of this Olympics to be basically unwatchable? I know its purchased from Discovery Channel so they have much reduced right, but what they do have is just a mess. Red button / iplayer is all over the place. It is arranged by days and programmes, but it should surely be arranged by sport, no? I can't find anything I want to watch.

Itís pretty poor, yes.

RazorsEdge 03-08-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukesy (Post 15930698)

Did he not get a medal?

CT_Palace 03-08-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15930566)

Genuinely incredible.

Benjamin wearing Nike "booster" spikes and from many comments I've read, the track itself has a bit of a trampoline about it.
What's more surprising is that we haven't seen more records (maybe there's a lingering issue of Covid training absenteeism?)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-at-olympics

The Norwegian bloke doesn't use the Nike spikes, so that's quite incredible.

Big Blue Eagle 03-08-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levski (Post 15931057)

Itís frustrating, but the fault lies with Discovery & the IOC and their highly restrictive live stream rights. BBC can only show two live streams at any one time and have to make choices based on British or global interest. Itís much more straightforward with the athletics, where the coverage is pretty much the same as usual, other than maybe some RB dedicated field event streams at London/Rio. Itís inevitably going to jump around a bit and the on line text streams etc may get ahead of the TV coverage sometimes.

Given the time zone itís usually better in the evening catch up programs when you get much more structure. But this morning for example, you had strong British medal interest in athletics, cycling, gymnastics, sailing and boxing - they canít cover it all.

Apparently the NBC coverage in the US is appallingÖ.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lays-primetime

The BBC showed broadcasters how to do things with London & Rio, and ensured excellent exposure for every sport, no matter how niche (Greco-Roman wrestling anyone??). But the IOC chased the $$$$ and are supposedly seeing tiny audiences across Europe on the Paywall channels vs the traditional broadcasters. Not really promoting sports for the next generation are they?

Lombardarian 03-08-2021 09:22 PM

I’m guessing it’s the Japan tv crew who control it, but I was going to say that the replays of key incidents in a couple of events atleast at the velodrome and athletics has been poor eg non existent or cut too short.

Funk Butter 03-08-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombardarian (Post 15931494)
Iím guessing itís the Japan tv crew who control it, but I was going to say that the replays of key incidents in a couple of events atleast at the velodrome and athletics has been poor eg non existent or cut too short.

There is a dedicated Olympic broadcast unit that runs it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympi...sting_Services

CT_Palace 03-08-2021 10:08 PM

Again not sure if its from the Japanese feed or a digital overlay from the Mexican communications company (Claro) that have the contract for Latin America (the former I suspect), but I don't like that during heats etc the results immediately after a race just show the first, second and third places... what about the rest of them? It's only later that you get to see the full result of a race and only then if your tv provider bothers to show that bit of the feed, which Claro annoyingly don't always do.

Skin Up 04-08-2021 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 15930321)
Oh dear, how sad.

https://twitter.com/artofhunger75/st...92460438519809

CP-RJW 04-08-2021 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin Up (Post 15931726)

LOL

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-08-2021 09:26 AM

Anyone know the reason for Ben Whittakers performance at the boxing medal ceremony.

stange555 04-08-2021 11:52 AM

His words: "I didn't win silver, I lost gold".

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-08-2021 12:41 PM

Behaved like a prat all the same.

Big Blue Eagle 04-08-2021 01:35 PM

KJT pulls up with injury in her 4th event, so sad for these athletes where this is their ultimate goal. Hopefully she will be fully fit and firing for Paris?

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-08-2021 01:41 PM

She was about to take the lead in that race , then boom. Bloody bad luck think she would have probably been in when the medals were going to be dolled out.

BERT'S HEAD 04-08-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15931989)
Behaved like a prat all the same.

Yep, no excuse for being a bad loser.

st albans 04-08-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stange555 (Post 15931938)
His words: "I didn't win silver, I lost gold".

I watched his fight. He didn't lose gold, he was nowhere near winning it.

west country boy 04-08-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin Up (Post 15931726)

Yeah, that was excellent. It's weird that the BBC et al have been more obsessed with the balding middle-aged competitor with a cock and balls (who also tried her best to keep their name out of the papers after seriously injuring two OAPs in a car crash) instead of the Brit who got a a medal, let alone the gold or silver winners.

firesign 04-08-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15931810)
Anyone know the reason for Ben Whittakers performance at the boxing medal ceremony.

yep, the reason is he's a massive twat

KYLIE MINEAGLE 05-08-2021 02:56 AM

I got that impression from his q/f fight. He was lucky to beat the Russian in the s/f. Most boxers are a bit flash . I am suprised that no one from the GB Olympic commitee has had a word about class and sportsman ship.

CT_Palace 05-08-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15931550)
Again not sure if its from the Japanese feed or a digital overlay from the Mexican communications company (Claro) that have the contract for Latin America (the former I suspect), but I don't like that during heats etc the results immediately after a race just show the first, second and third places... what about the rest of them? It's only later that you get to see the full result of a race and only then if your tv provider bothers to show that bit of the feed, which Claro annoyingly don't always do.

How long does it take for a computer to take the results of the womanís heptathlon final race and add the points to the total??
Is it just me or is the announcing if results very very slow in Tokyo?

Funk Butter 05-08-2021 03:05 PM

The scoring system in Sport Climbing makes for some incredible drama. There are three disciplines and you get points for your finishing position. Then your scores are multiplied together to get your final score. So if you finish 2nd, 3rd and 1st, your point total is 6. Even the last place guy coming into the 3rd stage had a chance to win and ended up being able to decide the top 3 positions with his final climb based on how he finished.

Nth Kent Eagle 05-08-2021 03:10 PM

The TV coverage or lack of it hasn't worked. The beauty of the Olympics is that it promotes lots of sports than usually only appear irregularly on television and raises the profile of really dedicated sports people. The joy on their faces when they win something compared to the greedy, highly paid, pampered, professional footballers is so uplifting.

meee 05-08-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 15933118)
The TV coverage or lack of it hasn't worked. The beauty of the Olympics is that it promotes lots of sports than usually only appear irregularly on television and raises the profile of really dedicated sports people. The joy on their faces when they win something compared to the greedy, highly paid, pampered, professional footballers is so uplifting.

Yeah, the IOC like many others are really shooting themselves in the foot. They are chasing money over viewers, which is great in the short term but unsustainable. They will end up with no one watching and wonder where it all went wrong.

stange555 06-08-2021 11:02 AM

Brilliant by the GB Madison women. Never seen such dominance

Adlerhorst 06-08-2021 03:53 PM

Right on the line. :(

PeterH 06-08-2021 04:20 PM

I have enjoyed this Olympics. The attitude of a lot of the participants has been a real credit to them.

Funk Butter 07-08-2021 02:30 AM

Has anybody been banned for drugs? I get the feeling that they forgot to bring the drugs tests to make room for all the Covid tests.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 07-08-2021 06:00 AM

Nigerian female sprinter and an Australian show jumper. He was done for testing to the nose sherbert. You would think a show jumper would dope the horse .

Golf Boy 07-08-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter (Post 15934764)
Has anybody been banned for drugs? I get the feeling that they forgot to bring the drugs tests to make room for all the Covid tests.

The maskers are traditionally a few steps ahead

Adlerhorst 07-08-2021 12:52 PM

Double gold in complete soldier event. :)

Sleeping Giant 07-08-2021 01:24 PM

Choong just who won the mens Modern Pentathlon gold. Whitgift School. Could be our 2nd gold of the games?

kabbott 07-08-2021 01:29 PM

Gidey looking a bit giddy there!

art malice 08-08-2021 01:55 AM

Paula Radcliffe: What you are doing in a marathon is walking a very fine line between as fast as you can go and maintaining that to finish. Or slightly overcooking it and not being able to finish.

Adlerhorst 08-08-2021 07:41 AM

Lauren Price time.

Adlerhorst 08-08-2021 08:32 AM

That was easy

kabbott 08-08-2021 11:20 AM

The Price is right.

RazorsEdge 08-08-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15935980)
Lauren Price time.

She made it look easy

Adlerhorst 08-08-2021 05:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGj7q7vnqgY

ebyeeckeagle 08-08-2021 06:02 PM

She is a quite an astonishing character. Amazing sports career.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 09-08-2021 12:57 AM

Watched a lot of the boxing. Have to say that was easily done by her .If you did not know you could have thought it was a qualifier and not a final. Must say the olympics is about the only time I make a point of watching the boxing. Think the Cubans dominated the mens comp.

stange555 09-08-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

I'd keep an eye on the Italian mens athletic team. In terms of performance, their improvements are "unusual".

Big Blue Eagle 09-08-2021 03:49 PM

As always - classy...BBC Closing Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL9EcVs0adw

meee 09-08-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stange555 (Post 15936932)
I'd keep an eye on the Italian mens athletic team. In terms of performance, their improvements are "unusual".

I'm not sure about that. One of the top high jumpers won gold in the high jump and their top sprinter improved his PB by what, 0.15 seconds? Not really earth shattering, just a great Olympics for them.

stange555 10-08-2021 10:15 AM

It's more that he had never run under 10 until this year, the whole 4x100 team have improved a hell of a lot. I read a report a couple of days ago on some WADA stats. In 2017, the country with the most offences, either failed, missed or suspect tests was not Russia, China or the US - it was Italy.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...vs-wada-report

meee 10-08-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stange555 (Post 15937897)
It's more that he had never run under 10 until this year, the whole 4x100 team have improved a hell of a lot. I read a report a couple of days ago on some WADA stats. In 2017, the country with the most offences, either failed, missed or suspect tests was not Russia, China or the US - it was Italy.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...vs-wada-report

The Italian tally was inflated by a particularly high number of non-analytical ADRVs, those which do not arise from detection of a prohibited substance or method in an athleteís sample.

The statistics included 77 non-analytical ADRVs against Italian athletes, approaching half - 36 - in bodybuilding and a further 24 in cycling.

A footnote to a table on non-analytical ADRVs stated that among decisions rendered in 2017 but excluded from the table were "210 cases from Italy which involved people that are not a member of any sports federation or association".

Funk Butter 10-08-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle (Post 15937392)
As always - classy...BBC Closing Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL9EcVs0adw

Quote:

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Excowboy 12-08-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Ujah provisionally suspended for testing positive for two body building drugs.

Silver medalist in the 4x100 team so they could all lose their medals if upheld.

Seems like he'd have a tough time overturning it - testing positive for two different drugs that do a very similar thing specifically useful for sprinting seems pretty bang to rights to me.

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/a...-doping-breach

Excowboy 12-08-2021 08:16 PM

BTW it was noticable how tiny this thread was for such a major event as the olympics.

Was that due to lack of interest, people using things like twitter instead, or the fact the thread doesn't pop up in the 'latest active threads' bit when there's a new post?

meee 12-08-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excowboy (Post 15940880)
BTW it was noticable how tiny this thread was for such a major event as the olympics.

Was that due to lack of interest, people using things like twitter instead, or the fact the thread doesn't pop up in the 'latest active threads' bit when there's a new post?

It was the least interested I have ever seen most people in the build up to and during an Olympics. I usually know people who are into sport and take a passing interest and mention something that happened that they enjoyed. Almost no one I know watched any of it. The lack of BBC coverage was probably a factor, time zone, lack of crowds and covid in general but I thought there would be some interest

art malice 12-08-2021 11:28 PM

Imagine letting your relay team-mates down like that

stange555 13-08-2021 03:10 PM

Not hugely surprised by the positive tests so far. There will be more (I am a massive cynic)

stange555 15-09-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 15941037)
Imagine letting your relay team-mates down like that

B Sample positive. I am surprised by the lack of media about this. Us Brits tend to not mention "one of our own" when they've been caught. Ohuruogu's ban never gets mentioned, nor Christie's or Don's.

Adlerhorst 15-09-2021 12:56 PM

I’m sort of glad they didn’t win. An Olympic silver being taken from you will be hugely gutting, but a gold….

davech 18-02-2022 07:15 PM

Ujah disqualified.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60437373

Thank you Google:

Ostarine is for boosting muscle and is an "Investigational New Drug" with a half-life of 24 hours in the system. A bit of mis-calculation?

S-23 is both a male contraceptive(?) and again a muscle booster and fat burner. It is prescription only. It is stronger than normal drugs.

"Accidental contamination" and "Unknowingly consumed a contaminated substance".? Unless it is a mistake, it seems bang to rights to me. Disappointing. Let his team-mates down.