CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Metaverse (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285143)

ozzieEagle 09-11-2021 05:45 PM

Metaverse

Had a cursory look at what the Metaverse is going to bring us over the next decade or so and personally I'm confused as to why Zuckerberg is anticipating everyone is going to get into headsets?

Surely this stuff will only take off when we move on to hologram technology, or is he just paving the way?

Has he disappeared up his own clacker in taking facebook down this cul de sac or is it really the future?

Got the feeling I must be missing something basic.

So, will anyone here be getting into the metaverse and augmented reality and immersive 3D social platforms, or is it another meh in the future of digital tech.

topper 09-11-2021 06:34 PM

not sure I'll be in the demographic for metaverse, not that it'll interest me either, that's assuming we have a choice by the time it is out of beta testing.
One thing i will be keeping an eye on though is which crypto currency they will be utilising and putting an amount of cash into it.
anyone fancy a syndicate ? RussArchv2 anyone ? ok, too soon....sorry.

Grunt 09-11-2021 07:28 PM

I think itís going to be a massive deal. Itís the next stage in evolving the Internet. It is to the World Wide Web what TV was to radio.

VR/ AR tech is evolving very rapidly in terms of quality and price. Give it 5 years and already there will be things that are better to do in the metaverse than on the web. Give it 10 and thereíll be things you need to do in the metaverse.

It raises huge issues - big potential and big risks. But the same was true of the web.

Like it or not, assuming weíre still here our kids will spend most of their lives in the metaverse.

Whatís interesting is how FB/ Meta are trying to be out front on this but Iím not convinced they fully understand corporately what theyíre actually playing with. They just get itís big and they want it.

ozzieEagle 09-11-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grunt (Post 16096643)
I think itís going to be a massive deal. Itís the next stage in evolving the Internet. It is to the World Wide Web what TV was to radio.

VR/ AR tech is evolving very rapidly in terms of quality and price. Give it 5 years and already there will be things that are better to do in the metaverse than on the web. Give it 10 and thereíll be things you need to do in the metaverse.

It raises huge issues - big potential and big risks. But the same was true of the web.

Like it or not, assuming weíre still here our kids will spend most of their lives in the metaverse.

Whatís interesting is how FB/ Meta are trying to be out front on this but Iím not convinced they fully understand corporately what theyíre actually playing with. They just get itís big and they want it.

I'd anticipate a place where you could watch Palace play on a hologram pitch, plus with the added bonus of your hologram or VR self-mixing and interacting with hologram support, say even with a few from on this BBS.... now that would be interesting. So I can see how we won't be going backwards if something like this does come to the fore.

I guess the bounderies are endless.

ozzieEagle 09-11-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 16096591)
not sure I'll be in the demographic for metaverse, not that it'll interest me either, that's assuming we have a choice by the time it is out of beta testing.
One thing i will be keeping an eye on though is which crypto currency they will be utilising and putting an amount of cash into it.
anyone fancy a syndicate ? RussArchv2 anyone ? ok, too soon....sorry.

I think Vechain (Vet) is the closest currently.... definitely with the Internet of Things at least. Which is why I bought in.

Bipe 10-11-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 16096862)
I'd anticipate a place where you could watch Palace play on a hologram pitch, plus with the added bonus of your hologram or VR self-mixing and interacting with hologram support, say even with a few from on this BBS.... now that would be interesting. So I can see how we won't be going backwards if something like this does come to the fore.

Interestingly Japan's bid for (I think) the 2022 World Cup included a commitment to develop hologram technology which would have allowed fans the world over to attend stadia in their own countries to watch the games in Japan as though they were really there. I was convinced at the time that FIFA would go for that as the opportunities to multiply the income from ticket sales and sponsorship were self-evident.

Grunt 10-11-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzieEagle (Post 16096862)

I think - but may be wrong - that the hologram thing is different. There are some amazing new ďsolidĒ light holograms being developed but itís really hard to make something thatís realistic and moves over a big space because of the projectors.

I think what you can anticipate though is VR-based esports. Right now people watch people playing video games. The metaverse will be a space where you can take that to a whole new level..

For example, imagine a game of tennis where each player was playing in VR. One player is in Melbourne and the other in Selhurst. They have VR treadmills to move, body trackers and haptic gloves to feel the ball on the racket. Using these they play something that pretty closely resembles a games of tennis.

This has a lot of implications. From the players point of view you can imagine various tweaks you can make to the game to make it more interesting. For example, say you think that tennis would be better with longer rallies and so you decide to give players the ability to extend their racket (or their arm) to have a longer reach to be able to get to more shots. You can build that in. Or say you want to have Williams play Nadal but even out the differences in physical strength so you just dial up Williamsí strength in the code.

From the spectators point of view, you can now watch where you like because although you can see yourself itís easy to just set you to invisible from the point of view of the players and other spectators. So you can watch the game from beside the court. Or you can sit in the middle of it. Or you can run around next to Nadal or Williams close up. Or you can hover 10 feet about the court.

I suspect the first thing weíll see are games that involve team combat of some sort. Imagine a sort of massive professional paintball tournament where spectators can wander round invisibly in the middle of it.

Now imagine people inventing whole new games that capitalise on the lack of constraints in a virtual space. Thereís already a big community of people around the world who play a sort of zero-gravity handball game in virtual space.

Right now what these games mean in real life is that you play sports that are primarily about moving your arms around but where you arenít using your legs (you are using your core because your head is tracked so you can twist around to duck or dodge). The big thing is you canít properly run yet. But itís coming close. Thereís a consumer grade device or two where you stand on a little circular platform and wear what are basically slippy shoes so that when you walk it translates into directional movement. Apparently once you get used to it you can walk around and even run in virtual space in a fairly decent way. And thatís where we are now. Tag on 5 or 10 years.

And then think beyond sports to concerts, learning, going and getting your driving licence, shopping.

Also this is just thinking about virtual reality where you are immersed in the virtual space. Thereís also augmented reality where that is overlaid on top of the real world. For example, imagine you go to the supermarket and you need some
mushy peas but donít know where they are. So you turn on your augmented reality glasses and say something like ďCortana, where are the mushy peas?Ē and a helpful young lady appears in front of you and says ďfollow meĒ and leads you there. Take off the glasses and she disappears. Put them on and there she is taking you to get your mushy peas.

What it can mean for how we live our lives - and how our kids will - is frankly mind blowing.

Now - the downsides - thatís a whole different discussion. Some aspects of this are frankly terrifying. If you think your privacy is eroded and every aspect of your identity monetised now, they havenít even got started.

Funk Butter 12-11-2021 05:55 AM

When I think of metaverse, I'm not thinking of VR headsets but communal online spaces. I frequent Decentraland and they are getting bigger and bigger. Just last week they had a music festival featuring mostly unknown artists but was headlined by Deadmaus. You also have Somnium, Cryptovoxels and Sandbox plus others I'm sure I'm forgetting. You can play games, take virtual tours and host virtual broadcasts. They are all in beta at the moment and have all sorts of issues but they are growing quite fast since I've been running around them. The VR/holographic aspect is way down the line.

Funk Butter 14-01-2022 01:14 PM

Decentraland is hosting a virtual Australian Open. https://twitter.com/AOmetaverse/stat...01616529698816 Not really sure how it's gonna work yet, the scene hasn't been published.