CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Football (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Aaron Ramsey - January 2022 window Signs on loan with Rangers (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=285623)

Random* 11-01-2022 10:04 AM

Aaron Ramsey - January 2022 window Signs on loan with Rangers

Loads of news pieces on Aaron Ramsey at the moment, with reports of Newcastle, us, Leeds and Villa 'competing' over his signature.

On the face of it at 31 he doesn't look like a good fit with the current Palace approach but just for the sake of it I'm going to try and weigh things up.

Positively he'd add quality to the centre of midfield, and he'd fit our way of playing by pressing continuously, turning the ball over and then supporting the attack.

He's no more injury prone than you'd expect of a top flight player (particularly at 31) - he made 42 appearances last season.

Perhaps because of his style of high intensity, he hasn't completed a string of 90 minutes games since the end of 2017. When he starts (even in his last season at Arsenal in 18/19) he'd be subbed at 65-70 minutes in, so Vieira would need to take that into account.

As for the wages... we can't afford even half of what he's getting at Juve, but he allegedly wants to come to London, so who knows what can be done there.

When I started looking at him I thought 'No way', but overall now I'm not as negative as that. I think my biggest issue is how much longer his career might last compared to cost.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-01-2022 10:11 AM

The only thing we know for sure is he would be expensive, have no resale value and only be effective for a few seasons. Of course, he is quality but there's too many negatives. Really hope we don't sign him, unless we intend flouting FFP rules because we will need to spend considerably elsewhere as well.

IMHO, this has got Newcastle written all over it.

16eagles 11-01-2022 10:43 AM

It’s not going to cost us anything to get him I think so fee will go on wages.

If he is highest paid player for couple years, would have no problem he improves us it’s quite simple we have nothing like him. Would be great in that right central midfield role, feeding Olise.

GB2506 11-01-2022 11:14 AM

Have said quite a bit about him in other threads but if the deal is right then its a no brainer.

Juve are willing to pay a huge chunk of his wages towards his wages for the rest of the season and aren't even that interested in a loan fee.

Roberts knows him very well from his time with Wales, PV also.

Not every signing can be an Eze or Olise type signing. PV has said himself we're an immature team and need some experienced heads in the side. Ramsey is considered a real leader and role model in the Wales dressing room and could be fantastic for the squad, as well as coming in and being arguably our best player.

I trust Freedman, PV and Roberts on this one. If the deal is right then get him in.

in-exile 11-01-2022 11:19 AM

Not sure ..... but would be some big add to the starting line-up.

Happy Arthur 11-01-2022 11:24 AM

Sorry just scanned this thread.

Are we talking a loan until the end of the season?

GB2506 11-01-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 16204179)
Sorry just scanned this thread.

Are we talking a loan until the end of the season?

Initially yes, but there is also talk of Juve paying his contract up to get him off their books.

BillyTKid 11-01-2022 11:56 AM

If we were to look at a deal we should offer to cover wages only based on games. Something like we pay £200k for every game he starts. I think concern over fitness is the biggest barrier to the deal. We aren’t big enough to pay out fortunes while players are in the treatment room. If we could do something like that then he would be ideal. Would bring that extra bit of experience we need.

BringbackShipps 11-01-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 16203769)
The only thing we know for sure is he would be expensive, have no resale value and only be effective for a few seasons. Of course, he is quality but there's too many negatives. Really hope we don't sign him, unless we intend flouting FFP rules because we will need to spend considerably elsewhere as well.

IMHO, this has got Newcastle written all over it.

I can't take your calls for a technically proficient midfielder seriously anymore :supergrin: Would be on of the best midfielders to have played for the club, hands down. IF the terms are right, absolute no-brainer.

GreatGonzo 11-01-2022 12:36 PM

Deadline day, take what's on offer written all over this. Juve want as much as possible off their books, so if us paying him £60-70k a week is better than anything else available then move suits everyone.

TopKnot 11-01-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB2506 (Post 16204166)

I trust Freedman, PV and Roberts on this one. If the deal is right then get him in.

I would normally be extremely skeptical of rumours like this, but as you say - they have a proven record of making shrewd signings so if they think Ramsey will improve the team and we can afford him, then I'm convinced!

Sick Bucket 11-01-2022 12:56 PM

I'm also in the trust the management team on this one but why are Juve so desperate to get rid?

Surely gonna end up at Toon though isn't he?

GB2506 11-01-2022 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 16204314)
I'm also in the trust the management team on this one but why are Juve so desperate to get rid?

Surely gonna end up at Toon though isn't he?

He has fallen down the pecking order and on big wages. They need to get rid of a few before they can bring anyone in.

Donít think he has any interest in moving to the North East.

Roberts will be a huge player in this deal if it were to happen.

aj4england 11-01-2022 01:06 PM

Possibly we are thinking we need cover for Gallagher as he wont be able to play v Chelsea in the Cup Final?

Stockport_Eagle 11-01-2022 01:09 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_...eer_statistics

A fairly steady 35-40 games per season over the last 10 full seasons for Arsenal & Juventus would indicate no major injury issues.

78 European club appearances and 76 international caps.

Anyone who thinks he wouldn't be, at the very least, a better option than Luka / Schlupp / Reidewald in midfield is, frankly, mad.

If he has a little injury like young Mr Ferguson did, or would cost north of £100k per week, then they're other considerations, but purely on a football basis, surely no-one can seriously say no?

jobiinthelastmi 11-01-2022 01:13 PM

Smells like a Newcastle signing to me.

So injury prone, we've got over the worst years of injury problems we have had to then add another back to the team?

CP-RJW 11-01-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockport_Eagle (Post 16204339)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_...eer_statistics

A fairly steady 35-40 games per season over the last 10 full seasons for Arsenal & Juventus would indicate no major injury issues.

Here’s his injury record, Ramsey very much does have issues in this regard. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aaro.../spieler/50057

He’s played 3000 minutes for Juventus in 3 seasons. I.e, very very little. Despite his injury troubles, he often just wasn’t picked to start over players as average as Weston Mckennie. https://www.transfermarkt.com/aaron-...s=&trainer_id=

This is not to say that he couldn’t be a worthwhile signing for palace though, on sensible wages.

TWELLSEagle 11-01-2022 01:29 PM

As a Wales fan I can say his technical ability is outrageous, matched by his energy and commitment to the cause. He's an absolute leader. My favourite ever Wales player.

CP-RJW 11-01-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 16204376)
As a Wales fan I can say his technical ability is outrageous, matched by his energy and commitment to the cause. He's an absolute leader. My favourite ever Wales player.

Poor Wayne.

Sick Bucket 11-01-2022 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB2506 (Post 16204329)
He has fallen down the pecking order and on big wages. They need to get rid of a few before they can bring anyone in.

Donít think he has any interest in moving to the North East.

Roberts will be a huge player in this deal if it were to happen.

Cheers.

Viera being an Arse legend probably helps too!