CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Maidstoned Eagle 18-09-2023 01:38 PM

The academy I work at has been partly closed for holidays since July, we started lessons again last Monday....there is currently a builder working on one of the classrooms that is going to be needed in two hours. Place stinks of paint and my boss has just asked me to "keep on him to finish before 3pm!"

Unreal organisation.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 18-09-2023 06:03 PM

The state they let the bit of Crystal Palace that contains the dinasours. Just had a walk through there first time in years . Awful over grown to the point you can’t see the statues. My mate says that a new group manages the park, hope they get on to it soon.

mushroom 19-09-2023 12:40 PM

South East Water turn up, do some "checks" and say I have a massive leak on my property. Serve me a notice to fix within 15 days.

- pull up floorboards ... no leak
- get a builder to put a camera under hallway/kitchen ... no leak
- Get insurance company involved, (400 excess) they smash through concrete steps leading to door... no leak
- Rip up front garden ... send camera down, find leak on External Stop Valve under public highway.

Water companies responsibility

Phone to complain, told there's nowt I can do.

Joe85 19-09-2023 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 17077011)
South East Water turn up, do some "checks" and say I have a massive leak on my property. Serve me a notice to fix within 15 days.

- pull up floorboards ... no leak
- get a builder to put a camera under hallway/kitchen ... no leak
- Get insurance company involved, (400 excess) they smash through concrete steps leading to door... no leak
- Rip up front garden ... send camera down, find leak on External Stop Valve under public highway.

Water companies responsibility

Phone to complain, told there's nowt I can do.


*****.

dave_who_ru 19-09-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 17077011)
South East Water turn up, do some "checks" and say I have a massive leak on my property. Serve me a notice to fix within 15 days.

- pull up floorboards ... no leak
- get a builder to put a camera under hallway/kitchen ... no leak
- Get insurance company involved, (400 excess) they smash through concrete steps leading to door... no leak
- Rip up front garden ... send camera down, find leak on External Stop Valve under public highway.

Water companies responsibility

Phone to complain, told there's nowt I can do.

That was a bit above and beyond the call of duty.

Surely just pulling up a couple of floorboards would have been sufficient.

dave_who_ru 19-09-2023 02:51 PM

The dinosaurs are Grade 1 listed now but with everything it comes down to money.

The Friends of Crystal Palace Dinosaurs website shows that there has been work on the site and the dinosaurs in recent years. I suggest the problem is keeping the vegetation under control as that can rapidly damage the models. It seems Bromley Council has been awarded National Lottery money as part of a wider project in the park to include work on the island.

We have a similar problem on an archaeological site in the borough. As volunteers we could spend most of our time fighting the vegetation rather than actually excavating a section where there might be finds. As such anything we do expose can become rapidly overgrown.

big bad John 19-09-2023 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 17077011)
"

Phone to complain, told there's nowt I can do.


Well you have evidence that they told you wrongly that the leak was on your property. Get in touch with your local paper. And maybe a good Jewish lawyer who will explain how you have never been the same since the traumatic events that occurred. How your post count has dropped and how you sprained your ankle because you forgot that the concrete steps had been demo-ed. Mice have taken over the place after they were disturbed under the floor boards and the cat and the missus have both fecked off. I'm sure he could come up with a few other beuts (for a fee of course) that will have South east waterboard regretting giving you the 15 day threat.

mushroom 19-09-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 17077079)
That was a bit above and beyond the call of duty.

Surely just pulling up a couple of floorboards would have been sufficient.

All pipes had to be checked within boundary of my property. We checked the easiest ones first (under hallway/Kitchen up to stopcock) when they were fine, we had to check pipes from public highway to house (through garden).

South East Water have emailed me, asking for the insurance company's engineer report, so they know exactly where leak is.

Does feel like they've used me to find source of leak, instead of doing the work themselves

Freddy the Fish 19-09-2023 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 17077011)
South East Water turn up, do some "checks" and say I have a massive leak on my property. Serve me a notice to fix within 15 days.

- pull up floorboards ... no leak
- get a builder to put a camera under hallway/kitchen ... no leak
- Get insurance company involved, (400 excess) they smash through concrete steps leading to door... no leak
- Rip up front garden ... send camera down, find leak on External Stop Valve under public highway.

Water companies responsibility

Phone to complain, told there's nowt I can do.

I have to say, there is absolutely no way I would let a situation like this rest. I would be looking to write to them, giving them 15 days (tit for tat) to fully reimburse me for all costs incurred. I would explain that failure to do so (which they won't, of course), will result in immediate legal action against them. Also advise them that - as bbJ suggests, you will use every avenue (local/national press, social media) to bring the situation to the widest possible audience.

Maidstoned Eagle 19-09-2023 06:41 PM

Lawyer up and sue the motherfuckers

Olympian2 21-09-2023 02:08 PM

HMRC & their
- inability to answer a simple question on the phone
- unwillingness/inability to take accountability for their own rules ('You need to speak to your ISA provider or your IFA')
- insistence that I send them a letter in the post to pursue my question
- inability to respond to my letter
- inability of the person finally addressing my 3 month old complaint to actually answer my question or let me talk to someone who could actually answer the question ('Only ISA providers are able to talk to them')

******* useless *****

RazorsEdge 21-09-2023 03:52 PM

And breathe Olympian2 :)

Olympian2 21-09-2023 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge (Post 17079161)
And breathe Olympian2 :)

:p :p

stevek 22-09-2023 07:30 AM

A fox coming through our cat flap and coming upstairs in the middle of the night.

pallet 22-09-2023 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17079697)
A fox coming through our cat flap and coming upstairs in the middle of the night.

That's a bit mad what happened?

RazorsEdge 22-09-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17079697)
A fox coming through our cat flap and coming upstairs in the middle of the night.

Wow, how big is that cat flap?

Fecking scary to find Basil in house I suppose not the kind of boom boom you want to hear

stevek 22-09-2023 08:56 AM

It's not the first time it's happened. It's not really that scary - the fox runs off as soon as you get up. (And it's a standard sized cat flap.)

We've bought a cat chip activated cat flap to prevent it, but haven't fitted it yet (mainly because of the difficulty in getting hold of one of our cats to programme the cat flap).

stevek 22-09-2023 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17079720)
That's a bit mad what happened?

A fox came through our cat flap and came up our staircase. The cats made a fuss, I got up and the fox ran away.

stamford triumph 22-09-2023 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17079735)
A fox came through our cat flap and came up our staircase. The cats made a fuss, I got up and the fox ran away.

I hope they dont crap in your house - another pile of it this morning on our decking. If Id wanted to pick up crap every day I would have got a dog.

chrisophiex 22-09-2023 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17079734)

We've bought a cat chip activated cat flap to prevent it, but haven't fitted it yet (mainly because of the difficulty in getting hold of one of our cats to programme the cat flap).


Wow. What college or university did your cat go to ?

Maz 22-09-2023 09:37 AM

Coding cats are all the thing nowadays. They come from China.

Martin H 22-09-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17079734)
It's not the first time it's happened. It's not really that scary - the fox runs off as soon as you get up. (And it's a standard sized cat flap.)

We've bought a cat chip activated cat flap to prevent it, but haven't fitted it yet (mainly because of the difficulty in getting hold of one of our cats to programme the cat flap).

Is your cat just too busy contracting ? I am having the same problems with our builder

stevek 22-09-2023 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford triumph (Post 17079738)
I hope they dont crap in your house - another pile of it this morning on our decking. If Id wanted to pick up crap every day I would have got a dog.

Thankfully, not - we do have the problem in the garden though.

A vixen gave birth to a litter of five cubs in the garden that backs on to ours. The cubs are pretty much grown up now, but don't yet (all) seem to have moved away to their new territories. We have four in the back garden the other day.

(And lol at the cat coding jokes.)

Spindle 22-09-2023 11:00 AM

A new thing that has annoyed me.

Having a World car free day.

Walter Wort 22-09-2023 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 17077182)
The dinosaurs are Grade 1 listed now but with everything it comes down to money.

The Friends of Crystal Palace Dinosaurs website shows that there has been work on the site and the dinosaurs in recent years. I suggest the problem is keeping the vegetation under control as that can rapidly damage the models. It seems Bromley Council has been awarded National Lottery money as part of a wider project in the park to include work on the island.

We have a similar problem on an archaeological site in the borough. As volunteers we could spend most of our time fighting the vegetation rather than actually excavating a section where there might be finds. As such anything we do expose can become rapidly overgrown.

Can't help thinking we missed a trick when we dropped the 'Glaziers' nickname.

Maz 22-09-2023 11:24 AM

:)

stevek 22-09-2023 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 17079864)
A new thing that has annoyed me.

Having a World car free day.

You care about the environment - on a local and global scale - about as much as Rishi Sunak does.

Little Fozzie 22-09-2023 01:18 PM

Full wrap-around adverts on London buses. Feels like nothing is sacred in London.

We'll probably soon have St Paul's Cathedral - sponsored by Deliveroo, with their stupid logo plastered on the dome.

RobertCPFC 22-09-2023 01:18 PM

The amount of times I've heard the Postcode Lottery advert on the radio this week.

RobertCPFC 22-09-2023 01:22 PM

I've noticed that foxes are braver than they ever used to be. Until recently they used to run away if they saw me but now seem to carry on with what there doing.

Walter Wort 22-09-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertCPFC (Post 17080031)
I've noticed that foxes are braver than they ever used to be. Until recently they used to run away if they saw me but now seem to carry on with what there doing.

Can you be absolutely certain that it's the same foxes?

TopKnot 22-09-2023 01:59 PM

If we leave anything in our garden, a fox will come over and piss on it. Sometimes after just a couple of minutes - my mrs was recently sitting on a blanket in the sun, went in to use the loo, came out and it suddenly stank of fox piss. They leave turds all over the lawn too.

I still like foxes though

PeterH 22-09-2023 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17079911)
You care about the environment - on a local and global scale - about as much as Rishi Sunak does.

Are you riding away rapidly on your bike while waving that red rag at him?

Harry Holmesdale 22-09-2023 02:11 PM

My neighbour informing me that he believes my cats are pooing in his garden... I said I will have a word with them at dinnertime tonight... his face!

PeterH 22-09-2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale (Post 17080087)
My neighbour informing me that he believes my cats are pooing in his garden... I said I will have a word with them at dinnertime tonight... his face!

:lux::lux::lux:

Martin H 22-09-2023 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertCPFC (Post 17080031)
I've noticed that foxes are braver than they ever used to be. Until recently they used to run away if they saw me but now seem to carry on with what there doing.

Since they won the PL I bet.

stevek 22-09-2023 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopKnot (Post 17080078)
If we leave anything in our garden, a fox will come over and piss on it. Sometimes after just a couple of minutes - my mrs was recently sitting on a blanket in the sun, went in to use the loo, came out and it suddenly stank of fox piss. They leave turds all over the lawn too.

I still like foxes though

We've had a few shoes stolen too (from inside the house!)

But I also still like them. The youngsters were so cute when they were little.

Adlerhorst 22-09-2023 03:56 PM

Why are airports in France so hot? It’s not a hot day, in fact it has been raining for most of the last two days yet CDG is roasting.

Reps AJ 22-09-2023 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 17080227)
Why are airports in France so hot? Its not a hot day, in fact it has been raining for most of the last two days yet CDG is roasting.

Are the baggage handlers on strike and burning suitcases?

Maidstoned Eagle 22-09-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 17080022)
Full wrap-around adverts on London buses. Feels like nothing is sacred in London.

You do know that this isn't a new thing and has been happening since the 70's....right?

Baffled Bob 2 22-09-2023 06:07 PM

Paying to watch "All the Presidents Men" on Sky then realising you have the Bluray.

Johnsonpen 22-09-2023 06:15 PM

BBC continually dominating the main news with shite concerning themselves that barely makes other broadcasters news.

RobertCPFC 22-09-2023 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Wort (Post 17080075)
Can you be absolutely certain that it's the same foxes?

It two or three different ones.

west country boy 22-09-2023 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 17080210)
We've had a few shoes stolen too (from inside the house!)

But I also still like them. The youngsters were so cute when they were little.

I had trainers nicked from inside the flat (mine, not yours) plus five-plus cubs living in the garage. They stank it out but were cool and didn't mither the cats.

Adlerhorst 22-09-2023 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 17080277)
Are the baggage handlers on strike and burning suitcases?

Not obviously but judging by the queues for luggage pickup at Heathrow, perhaps they are over here.

glenn.f 22-09-2023 09:14 PM

Bastard Mosquitoes have set about me on holiday yet the wife with her prime succulent flesh and cellulite remains untouched.

Hedgehog 22-09-2023 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 17080496)
Bastard Mosquitoes have set about me on holiday yet the wife with her prime succulent flesh and cellulite remains untouched.


We are having a horrible time of it this year with mosquitoes and invisible things that bite your ankles. Fortunately they seem to prefer my wifes blood to mine.

ozzieEagle 22-09-2023 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 17080515)
We are having a horrible time of it this year with mosquitoes and invisible things that bite your ankles. Fortunately they seem to prefer my wifes blood to mine.


Midges or Sandflys, same thing, Tiny tiny things usually in humid areas. I had the worst allergic reaction I've ever had from being bitten by those on my last campervan trip. Was up around Townsville, and probably had over 50 bites from the little buggers whilst fishing in the mangroves. Ended up 4 days later with blisters the size of golf balls all over my legs. Nearly landed in hospital from it.

Had at least 10 of these on my legs. This isn't my photo, but it gives an idea.

That was a tad annoying.

https://www.ijcasereportsandimages.c...1666798553.jpg

strawberry mivi 22-09-2023 10:14 PM

An old friend recently died from sepsis soon after getting bitten on holiday so be careful out there.

ozzieEagle 22-09-2023 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 17080536)
An old friend recently died from sepsis soon after getting bitten on holiday so be careful out there.


Yes, that was the worry, kept a very close eye on them and my reactions. The thing was we had booked a 2-night sail charter with snorkelling around the Whitsundays. So I had to be super careful and only went in the water once. If I had of burst one of the blisters on a piece of coral I could have been in trouble. That and the odd looks from the other people on the boat at the horrible sight of my blistered lower legs made that trip less enjoyable than it should have been. Took about 10 days to clear up properly.

So we'll have to revisit and give sailing around the Whitsundays again, or somewhere similar and give it a proper go. Which is kind of annoying, yet something to look forward to.

Leopald Stotch 22-09-2023 10:32 PM

Scottish people who insist on getting a bit of tartan into every outfit that they wear.

GorBlimey 22-09-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 17080552)
Scottish people who insist on getting a bit of tartan into every outfit that they wear.


Rod Stewart - born and brought up in London and pretends to be Scottish.

chrisophiex 23-09-2023 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 17080556)
Rod Stewart - born and brought up in London and pretends to be Scottish.


and sings like hes an American.

Socrates 23-09-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 17080552)
Scottish people who insist on getting a bit of tartan into every outfit that they wear.

I get inordinately irritated by the tossers that have an cosse sticker on their car.

stamford triumph 23-09-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertCPFC (Post 17080031)
I've noticed that foxes are braver than they ever used to be. Until recently they used to run away if they saw me but now seem to carry on with what there doing.

Our neighbour got bitten on the arm by one a few weeks ago that jumped out from behind her shed. Fortunately she was wearing a coat and it didnt draw blood. If it had been the 1970s wed all be panicking about rabies.

Socrates 23-09-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 17080556)
Rod Stewart - born and brought up in London and pretends to be Scottish.

Hes also a glory hunting football fan. Started off supporting Arsenal - normal for Archway - but morphed into supporting the wankers in England and Celtic in Scotland (even though his Edinburgh-born dad was a Hibs fan).

west country boy 23-09-2023 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 17080556)
Rod Stewart - born and brought up in London and pretends to be Scottish.

Ditto Jim Davidson but the sweaties are welcome to both of them.

CP-RJW 23-09-2023 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 17080608)
and sings like hes an American.

TIL that Rod Stewart isn’t American, he just sings like one.

Baffled Bob 2 23-09-2023 11:21 AM

Sky's trailer for the two live Carabao Cup matches.

Clips of three of the four competing teams.

cappuccinoeagle 23-09-2023 10:13 PM

The trailer for a new series Michael McIntyre’s The Wheel, the bloke is so irritating

radiomike 23-09-2023 10:45 PM

Who on earth thinks Michael mc in tyre is in any way funny and not wholly slimy and nauseating- who on earth would waste precious time watching his dire desperate attempts to be someone who matters- if you do get a life.

Little Fozzie 23-09-2023 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 17080359)
You do know that this isn't a new thing and has been happening since the 70's....right?

Can I still be annoyed about it?

stevek 24-09-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west country boy (Post 17080486)
I had trainers nicked from inside the flat (mine, not yours) plus five-plus cubs living in the garage. They stank it out but were cool and didn't mither the cats.

Our cats aren't happy when the foxes come in the house, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be any feline-vulpine beef.

Reps AJ 24-09-2023 12:43 PM

Getting a text from Sky telling me I'm eligible for full fibre broadband.

Thanks Sky, you're only 4 years late with the news.

RazorsEdge 24-09-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 17081943)
Can I still be annoyed about it?

YES

Maidstoned Eagle 24-09-2023 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Fozzie (Post 17081943)
Can I still be annoyed about it?

No. It has exceeded its annoyance by date.

Maidstoned Eagle 24-09-2023 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiomike (Post 17081929)
Who on earth thinks Michael mc in tyre is in any way funny and not wholly slimy and nauseating- who on earth would waste precious time watching his dire desperate attempts to be someone who matters- if you do get a life.

Similar to Will Ferrell

Danny_Cheviot 24-09-2023 01:58 PM

I turn on the TV and its celebrity challenge this and celebrity challenge that. Who gives a *** about celebrities anyway? Never heard of most of them.

Sidney Kickit 24-09-2023 02:49 PM

Another 11 weeks of 'Strictly' nonsense. Required 139 minutes of exile in another room last night

RobertCPFC 24-09-2023 03:18 PM

I find Strictly gets far to much coverage and I can't understand why.

BERT'S HEAD 24-09-2023 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertCPFC (Post 17082438)
I find Strictly gets far to much coverage and I can't understand why.

Women innit.

Ninjas Headband 24-09-2023 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertCPFC (Post 17082438)
I find Strictly gets far to much coverage and I can't understand why.

Fortunately I don't live in a world of such frippery!

Ninjas Headband 24-09-2023 03:39 PM

People who misuse the word, 'frippery'.

Maidstoned Eagle 24-09-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidney Kickit (Post 17082409)
Another 11 weeks of 'Strictly' nonsense. Required 139 minutes of exile in another room last night

How ******* long?!

pallet 24-09-2023 03:56 PM

Arsenal fans and those we buy any car ads

cappuccinoeagle 24-09-2023 10:44 PM

Ian Crocker’s over the top commentary style, luckily I only hear him on YouTube

Stellavista 25-09-2023 12:25 AM

Is there anything that isn't 'with a twist' these days?

Stellavista 25-09-2023 12:26 AM

The refusal of my kids to watch any movie that is in black and white.

GorBlimey 25-09-2023 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 17083100)
The refusal of my kids to watch any movie that is in black and white.

Dear me yes!

Exactly the same with mine.

Paulinmorden 25-09-2023 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertCPFC (Post 17082438)
I find Strictly gets far to much coverage and I can't understand why.

Same. I get that some people want the celebrity's 'journey' but if you want to watch top level dancing watch it where both partners are professionals. It's like the Premier League saying that half your squad has to be picked from your local Sunday morning teams.

RazorsEdge 25-09-2023 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 17083128)
Same. I get that some people want the celebrity's 'journey' but if you want to watch top level dancing watch it where both partners are professionals. It's like the Premier League saying that half your squad has to be picked from your local Sunday morning teams.

Now there is a idea worth approaching Endemol with, they may buy it :)

CT_Palace 25-09-2023 07:26 PM

The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Have they turned in to The Mail?

big bad John 25-09-2023 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17083740)
The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Any mention that there might be a chance that Palace win the Cup?

Maidstoned Eagle 25-09-2023 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17083740)
The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Have they turned in to The Mail?

Apparently, according to the great Mark King of the legendary band Level 42, time will come to an end in 20 thousand, million years.

west country boy 25-09-2023 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17083740)
The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Have they turned in to The Mail?

I like the fact the lead author of this study is Alexander Farnsworth so is presumably related to him off Futurama.

Adlerhorst 26-09-2023 11:53 AM

Trying to speak to someone in the bank. The bank is full of elderly people who are clearly having a chat with the bank people rather than getting stuff done. I’ve been here for an hour already

I’ve got a flight at 5pm which at this rate I am going to miss.

davech 27-09-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big bad John (Post 17083868)
Any mention that there might be a chance that Palace win the Cup?

We were due to play in the final for the 7 millionth time against Moan Utd Galaxy All Stars the day after the asteroid strikes...

stange555 27-09-2023 11:32 AM

Gatwick Airport. I know this isn't new or anything, but it's a shambles. We landed around midnight last night. Got off the plane at 1am, because "there were a lot of planes arriving at the same time" which is A. Impossible and B. Not true. We had to (they said) wait for stairs, but they were already there and attached, what we actually were waiting for is a bloke to stand on a corner making sure no one wanted to run under the wing. Hate the place.

Levski 27-09-2023 11:56 AM

Airports in UK are often exceptionally tatty and seem badly run. In my view, they often compare very poorly with most other places you are flying from, and they provide a really bad first impression of the UK. The agressive singage everywhere about people smuggling, illegal immigration, etc are also just downright nasty.

The companies running the airports (mostly MAG it seems), seem to be running them down to the bone. Facilities look really tired and run-down, especially Arrivals. The buildings are often cheap and poorly maintained facilities. Staff seem demoralized and badly trained and led.

Other than that, they are great.

pallet 27-09-2023 11:56 AM

Year before last landed at Gatwick then had to wait 2 hours for our cases due to staff shortages. Maybe if you paid baggage handlers a bit better it would be a job people might do.

Isle of Wight 27-09-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17086628)
Year before last landed at Gatwick then had to wait 2 hours for our cases due to staff shortages. Maybe if you paid baggage handlers a bit better it would be a job people might do.

My uncle was a baggage handler and he loved it. Paid well, short working hours but hard physical work which is why he stopped in the end.

stange555 27-09-2023 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 17086628)
Year before last landed at Gatwick then had to wait 2 hours for our cases due to staff shortages. Maybe if you paid baggage handlers a bit better it would be a job people might do.

The only bonus of sitting on the plane for so long was that our bags were there waiting for us.

We had a similar thing at Heathrow 4 years ago, we landed in an A380, there were no airbridges available, so they sent one bus. Yep, one bus, for an A380. Think is was 2 and half hours sitting on that one. But that time, as a special bonus, they lost our luggage too.

TopKnot 27-09-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17083740)
The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Have they turned in to The Mail?

thought that was quite an interesting article about what could happen to the planet in the distant future. wouldnt say it was particularly scaremongering or sensationalist.

CT_Palace 27-09-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopKnot (Post 17086767)
thought that was quite an interesting article about what could happen to the planet in the distant future. wouldnt say it was particularly scaremongering or sensationalist.

It is when its the headline story!

big bad John 27-09-2023 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stange555 (Post 17086593)
Gatwick Airport. I Not true. We had to (they said) wait for stairs, but they were already there and attached, what we actually were waiting for is a bloke to stand on a corner making sure no one wanted to run under the wing. Hate the place.

What gets me is the constant lies. The big one nowadays is to say they have found a maintenance problem and they have a crew working on it. This makes the passenger think they're really safety conscious and you would look silly if you kicked up a fuss.
The reality is they can't get enough staff to man the plane and they are desperately calling around to round up a few subs. To buy some time they announce that the super maintenance crew have just found another small issue that if not found could have been catastrophic. Finally minutes before rebellion you will find some bleary eyed, scruff in a uniform, hurriedly putting his tie on and jumping behind the pedals to get ready for lift off.
You do wonder how many of these fourth choice pilots were having a nice quiet pint on their day off when the dreaded call to action was received.

west country boy 27-09-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17083740)
The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Have they turned in to The Mail?

Probably not as they do not seem to have mentioned the lady who embezzled 30K from BLM donors around the time of the Colston statue protest.

Far more annoying was seeing "Lord" Archer on ITV London news saying that the reason the Tories won't win the next mayoral election is because they have been in power for 14 years and because of "the demographics". I always knew he was a dreadful lying cee but he's now added racism to his rap sheet (this may be well known but I try to ignore him).

Ruskin Old Boy 27-09-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 17083740)
The Guardian.

This is their current headline (international edition)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-predicts

something may or may not happen in 250 million years time... WTAF????


Have they turned in to The Mail?

Only surprise is that it wasn't written by the dog walker.

sunshine lucas 27-09-2023 08:12 PM

Most Wes Anderson films annoy me…
And I’m particularly gutted that I see via Netflix he has adapted one of my favourite Ronald Dahl short stories… The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. Great story. Grrr.. I should give it a go…but can’t face it…

CK 28-09-2023 04:09 PM

Stupid fkn women where the only way to appease their kid is to incessantly play tinny tunes loud on their phones:wallbash:

917L 28-09-2023 08:50 PM

Ridiculous speed limit changes on the A20

Reduced from 70 to 40 just past the Sidcup bypass, with average speed cameras coming

WTF, a 30mph reduction


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.