CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Steamy 15-03-2013 09:00 PM

I think they still owe $10m or something. Hasn't stopped Jerry buying the megabus for $2m! Perhaps it's going to be donated to one of the players in lieu of salary at the end of the season...

Funk Butter 15-03-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Several sources reported on Friday that defensive end Elvis Dumervil agreed to a 2013 pay cut that would reduce his base salary from $12 million to $8 million, per Albert Breer of the NFL Network. Reports indicated that Dumervil agreed to the pay cut a mere 30 minutes from the 4:00 p.m. ET deadline. At that point, the Broncos would have released Dumervil to avoid his salary strapped to their 2013 salary cap.

Here's the apparent problem, though -- according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Dumervil's agent, Marty Magid, failed to fax the paperwork back to the Broncos in time. So, the Broncos had to release Dumervil to avoid taking a $13.6 million total hit. Whoops!

That said, the Broncos wanted Dumervil back, and they made that very clear -- the estimation is that they will re-sign him quickly -- if they can. See, there's another problem with this snafu, as ESPN's Adam Schefter pointed out. By releasing Dumervil, the Broncos find themselves with a rather large dead money hit for 2013 -- almost $5 million. So, unless Dumervil wants to take an even larger pay cut, he may be out of the box altogether.
Let the mayhem begin.

jazman 15-03-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
That was different, that was big money big names, this is filling some desperate needs due to a change in defensive system with some solid looking players. No one is getting much money, Barwin is getting the most at $36 million over 6 years, but he'll only get around $4 million a year for the first 3.

I'm looking forward to what is a complete rebuilding year under Chip Kelly with no expecations at all. Although obviously I'd like to see us win at least 4 games.

Cowboys seem to have made as many cuts as the Eagles but don't seem to have made many signings, there are still some role players out there though going pretty cheap. Whose your new DC after the end of Rob Ryan?

I can't see anything more than a transition for us which is why I thought we may have done something with Romo. Yet, it looks like he gets another chance. His last with the Cowboys? Who knows. I don't think we are in the free agent market, it's all about the draft which is what we've been making room for. We will see I guess.

And Ryan has been replaced with Monte Kiffin. Experience counts for a lot but he's past retirement age but if he helps Garrett out then I'm all for that. Ryan was probably too strong a character for him to handle.

jazman 15-03-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamy
I don't think Jerry will move for free agents unless it's going to be a game changer. Time is running out for the Romo era - we need to do something next season. So I think you're right, Cowboys will be looking to the Draft and building for 2 to 3 seasons down the line.

Bryant either infuriates me or amazes me, it changes every week. Might not be a bad thing to lose him...at least we won't have to pay for 24 hour minders! I saw Beasley play against the Redskins and, while he's far too small at the moment, he is an option as a 3rd WR (in the way Austin was, his breathrough year) and should get better. Stick with Austin and Witten as Romo has confidence in them. The number of times Bryant and Romo seem to be at eachother's throats when it goes wrong is worrying...better for the team perhaps if Dez moves on.

See previous post in response to Tom.

Romo is a tough one. I've always liked him but even I was looking for a change for next season. But what would we do with him? We have to use what we have and gamble on a rookie or two. Beasley I like, small but didn't stop Welker. Dez is another TO. Stinks of attitude but he alone damn nearly got us to the post season. A game changer and perhaps worth the aggro.

Steamy 15-03-2013 11:28 PM

Jazman I agree wholeheartedly with Romo being a toughie. Some days he plays out of his skin, but then some of those times he has to play out of his skin to make up for his own mistakes. I was sat next to people who nearly walked out at HT on Thanksgiving. And yet he then plays a blinder to get us so close to beating the Redskins. It was the same against the Giants the month before (if only Dez had shorter fingers - that was so close).

I'd say it's make or break for Romo this season. I remember just before TO left when things weren't going right...Romo just threw to Witten. Those two have a good understanding, so I'd say when one goes we lose both. Romo will look for Dez and Austin to start off with...how long into the season before he stops looking for Dez?

Still, as with Palace, I'll be optimistic as soon as September begins! Clean slate and all that...

jazman 15-03-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamy
Jazman I agree wholeheartedly with Romo being a toughie. Some days he plays out of his skin, but then some of those times he has to play out of his skin to make up for his own mistakes. I was sat next to people who nearly walked out at HT on Thanksgiving. And yet he then plays a blinder to get us so close to beating the Redskins. It was the same against the Giants the month before (if only Dez had shorter fingers - that was so close).

I'd say it's make or break for Romo this season. I remember just before TO left when things weren't going right...Romo just threw to Witten. Those two have a good understanding, so I'd say when one goes we lose both. Romo will look for Dez and Austin to start off with...how long into the season before he stops looking for Dez?

Still, as with Palace, I'll be optimistic as soon as September begins! Clean slate and all that...

Without making this a Cowboys thread (although makes a change from all those Filly fans!), I'm with you most of that. Romo had a history last season of not looking for Dez until the third or fourth quarter. Whether that was tactics or his own choice, who knows, but Dez is the one player that can do something special. Witten is a worker, gets the yards, some big, often small. He is the safe bet for Romo, good hands and gives him confidence that goes with knowing him longer, the understanding is there. Austin came from nowhere and has shown to be injury prone. Could it be his last for Dallas? Depends if he can get over the injuries but he was another confidence target for Romo. No excuses but protection is the key. Romo deserves that, something he has rarely had, but you make your own luck and Tony has had too many black cats cross his path to get any of that ...

Steamy 15-03-2013 11:57 PM

Hope he stays...anywhere further north is too close to Kim Kardashian in my opinion. Don't go back, Miles!

I think that, provided the coaching staff instill some level heads into the players, we could and should make the playoffs. I say the same thing to my friends every time I see Dallas lose and they used to laugh in my face at what I say. Then we all watched the Giants game in a bar in Wembley after the International Series (with me being the only Cowboy and getting serious grief) and my closest friend turned around to me and said:

"I never believed you, but you're right. They don't get 'beaten' per se, they conspire to lose games"

So, next season we need level heads, no stupid penalties, half the interceptions and fumbles and we'll be just fine!

I'll shut up about Dallas now...

Strathclyde Eagle 16-03-2013 08:15 AM

It's Papi, I can't really be annoyed at him.


jazman 16-03-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamy
Hope he stays...anywhere further north is too close to Kim Kardashian in my opinion. Don't go back, Miles!

I think that, provided the coaching staff instill some level heads into the players, we could and should make the playoffs. I say the same thing to my friends every time I see Dallas lose and they used to laugh in my face at what I say. Then we all watched the Giants game in a bar in Wembley after the International Series (with me being the only Cowboy and getting serious grief) and my closest friend turned around to me and said:

"I never believed you, but you're right. They don't get 'beaten' per se, they conspire to lose games"

So, next season we need level heads, no stupid penalties, half the interceptions and fumbles and we'll be just fine!

I'll shut up about Dallas now...

Spot on. Makes it far worse for us fans. Rarely have a blow out season, normally have a chance to make the post season just like the season just past. We managed to get to the final game with a chance. Shame we blew it but yes, we conspire to lose game rather than get beaten in many. We need some level heads an experience. I'd like to think if we'd have kept Brooking we may have made that post season. Great character for the team, could do with some more of that but not looking like we will get anything in free agency.

Benzhiyi 16-03-2013 04:44 PM

I have no idea what's going on in that link, Tone.

Strathclyde Eagle 16-03-2013 06:19 PM

Usual DLHQ madness, basically ridiculing the Fins signing Mike Wallace. I don't agree with it, but at least it is a bit diffierent.

I love Papi, he's properly bonkers. :love:

It was funnier when he had the same reaction to the question "Do you remember when the Cardinals were 4-0?" back in December.

oz_da II 17-03-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I love Papi, he's properly bonkers. :love:

:p

oz_da II 20-03-2013 04:50 PM

The tuck rule is no more! :hi: :lux:

Funk Butter 20-03-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
The tuck rule is no more! :hi: :lux:

Doesn't matter now, it served its purpose already. I never understood why more QBs didn't just pump fake as they took the snap, then technically if they never brought it back to their body it isn't a fumble.

jazman 20-03-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
The tuck rule is no more! :hi: :lux:

Justin had a rule did he?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 20-03-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
The tuck rule is no more! :hi: :lux:

As in the Friar Tuck rule, banning Albert Haynesworth from eating smoked turkey legs at the line of scrimmage?

Funk Butter 21-03-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Trent Richardson told The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer on Wednesday that he feels like it's his fault that running backs will now be penalized for using the crown of their helmets to make forcible contact with a defender outside the tackle box.

A video of Richardson knocking off Eagles safety Kurt Coleman's helmet was used as an example of plays the league wanted to penalize during the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix. The rule change passed 31-1, with the Cincinnati Bengals the only team to vote against it.

"I feel like I made it bad for all the backs," Richardson told newspaper. "I feel like it's my fault."

He also said that people are starting to name the rule after him.

"People keep telling me it's the T-Rich rule," he said. "I guess I made history today."
Wow, this guy is full of himself.

Tim 22-03-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz_da II
The tuck rule is no more! :hi: :lux:

What a surprise to see Belicheats not in favour of it! Did him a big favour back in 02 when that blatant fumble was overturned against the Raiders! Go Rams!

Tim 22-03-2013 09:48 AM

Has anyone seen the proposal #farmersfield for football to return to LA? It looks really impressive, I hope the Rams move back home. Has anyone joined the Facebook group bring back the LA Rams? Get on there & like!

saxoneagle 22-03-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
What a surprise to see Belicheats not in favour of it! Did him a big favour back in 02 when that blatant fumble was overturned against the Raiders! Go Rams!

So, in your completely unbiased view, you didn't think of mentioning the other team that abstained (like us) and the team that voted AGAINST?

I know, someone voted against. Amazing. But lets take another cheap shot at the Pats because we're lacking in intelligence to actually look at the situation rationally...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.