CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Chester 21-10-2007 10:43 PM

Was that the interception one where his arm hit the ground and everyone just stood there looking baffled.

I think the Viking would have been strung up if he hadnt recovered that fumble

Strathclyde Eagle 21-10-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
A good repair job there. Well, if you can call mending the hole in the Titanic with sellotape a repair job ;)
Industrial-sized roll, hrrr, hrrr. ;)
Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Chad 6/6 104 yds 1TD

Looks like Brady left Miami and decided to fly to Cincy and start with the Jets.

At some point he'll wake up and remember he's Chad Pennington. :D
Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Giants winning me 4/4 bets in the space of 6 days. Their defense is simply awesome right now. Just worried Tony's gonna go all that way to Wembley and not even see a TD for his troubles.
Worst trip South to date - Jan 98, Leeds at home. 2-0 down inside 15 minutes. :(

joyce the voice 21-10-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlmatthews
:eek:

Hope the bastard gets hurt. He should be no where near the field at this point.

I disagree. The lead was 21, there were 10 minutes left, Cassell is obviously not up to it ... so the Pats could easily have gone three and out, Miami could then score in three minutes or so (prevent defence and all), crowd begin to get into it ...sure the Pats almost certainly still win but why put themselves in that situation? The last five minutes of a football game go on forever--I remember the Colts still in with a chance in the AFC Championship game in 2004 with a minute or so to go even though the Pats had completely owned Manning all game.

This way bang bang bang it's over.
If anything I thought the Pats eased up considerably and didn't embarrass Miami. Anyway a loss is a loss--Liverpool didn't ease up on us during the 9-0 (I know that goal difference is important and point differential is not, but still)

Strathclyde Eagle 21-10-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by joyce the voice
I disagree. The lead was 21, there were 10 minutes left, Cassell is obviously not up to it ... so the Pats could easily have gone three and out, Miami could then score in three minutes or so (prevent defence and all), crowd begin to get into it ...sure the Pats almost certainly still win but why put themselves in that situation? The last five minutes of a football game go on forever--I remember the Colts still in with a chance in the AFC Championship game in 2004 with a minute or so to go even though the Pats had completely owned Manning all game.

This way bang bang bang it's over.

Makes sense. Obviously not ideal from their point of view to bring Brady back in.

Not sure about Cassell as a backup. The guy did nothing but hold a clipboard for all his time at USC as well!

By the way, the Fins crowd isn't an issue. Dolphin Stadium is like Selhurst when Wimbledon played there - apathetic home fans and the majority in attendance are supporting the visitors.
Quote:

Originally posted by joyce the voice
If anything I thought the Pats eased up considerably and didn't embarrass Miami. Anyway a loss is a loss--Liverpool didn't ease up on us during the 9-0 (I know that goal difference is important and point differential is not, but still)
When you're 42-7 up at half-time and only score 49 I think you're right.

joyce the voice 21-10-2007 11:16 PM

Even though I'm a Pats fan, I once again felt very sorry for Jason Taylor. No-one deserves to be on a good team more than him--he's an absolute beast, and he seems like a real gentleman too.

Chester 21-10-2007 11:27 PM

blocked field goal returned for a touchdown for the Cowboys

nookiebear 21-10-2007 11:30 PM

Very ugly win for the Skins.

Only 160 yards on Offense but that's what you get when almost all your starting Offensive Line is out injured.

What money on the Skins winning in New England next week? :D

elliott 21-10-2007 11:46 PM

lost my bet on "Pats by less than 15", just

Got a bet next week that Miami will score at least 25 points though

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by joyce the voice
I disagree. The lead was 21, there were 10 minutes left,
I didn't realise it was a 3 score game ...

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 12:29 AM

:D

Da Bears!!!!

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlmatthews
:D

Da Bears!!!!

What a finale!!! :p

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 11:23 AM

Interesting listening to WFAN this morning. One guy thinks it's ludicrous that the Giants have to go to Wembley yet Boomer Esiason (the co-host of the phone in) pointed out that in time difference terms it's not really any different to flying to Seattle or San Diego.

Time difference issues might be something to consider if the world games continue in future years. Might be unfair to have an East Coast team play in Europe against a West Coast team.

Interestingly the 49ers admitted to being 'done in' on the time difference yesterday v the Giants. For them it was like starting at 10am. I realise that there are many occasions a California team plays in the East but this was the first time I've heard comments admitting that the players struggled to adjust.

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 11:25 AM

When the Wembley game was announced it was also proposed that all 32 teams would play abroad once over the next 16 years. Was that ever confirmed?

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
At some point he'll wake up and remember he's Chad Pennington. :D

He did :sob:

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
When the Wembley game was announced it was also proposed that all 32 teams would play abroad once over the next 16 years. Was that ever confirmed?
I heard that as well. I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but there seems to be an international movement afoot at the moment. Just last week the Bills requested permission to play both pre and regular season games in Toronto.

As for the East/West coast thing, I'd imagine that they'll probably send West coast teams to Japan for regular season games. I'd imagine that Japan and Germany are the next likely destinations for games outside of North America. Outside the US my guess is that only Toronto fits the bill for the NFL in Canada (maybe Vancouver, but I don't think the dome there has a huge capacity).

Okay, I admit I've watched CFL games on NASN.

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 12:21 PM

Is Canadian Football still played to three downs?

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 12:40 PM

Yep. They've got a really stupid rule about not being within five yards of a punt returner as well. Everytime I catch a game it seems that Hamilton still haven't got the hang of that rule, it's quite amusing. :D

Former Bengals first round pick Akili Smith managed to get cut by Calgary last year. I think Tim Couch is trying to follow his ultimate career path.

Can't remember where I saw it over the weekend, but the Fins were apparently going to give Mike McMahon a tryout. Given that the last time I saw him he looked rotten for Toronto I think losing his number would be a better idea.

elliott 22-10-2007 01:37 PM

Ticats suck unfortunately.

And CFL kicks ass. It's a much more interesting version of football, admittedly made boring by the number of "2 and outs

"No yards" is a rule in CFL (as mentioned above), but you can't fair catch in CFL so that's kind of a trade off.

I've watched one of the funniest things ever in CFL:

Awesome game (Winnipeg v Edmonton this year, ends in a tie). About 32 all at the end, and they play college overtime (although modified slightly and very badly explained).
End of the first OT and it's 39 all so they play another go.
Edmonton have to hit a FG and miss, meaning any points for Winnipeg means a win.
At this point it may be wise to point out that if you punt the ball out of the endzone you get a point (single or rouge).
Winnipeg struggle too, and on their final down, they ridiculously attempt (and miss) a FG, despite the fact that if they had punted the ball, they would've won anyway!

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elliott
At this point it may be wise to point out that if you punt the ball out of the endzone you get a point (single or rouge).
That's another stupid rule as well! :)

Very strange game, made better by the fact that these guys get paid peanuts. Something kinda worthy about that.

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 02:42 PM

That punt rule sounds crazy. You get a point for THAT???

elliott 22-10-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
That punt rule sounds crazy. You get a point for THAT???
End zones are 20 yards deep though.

It's an allround far more tactical game. Teams are not as concerned about giving up a safety or single.

In fact you'll often see punters kneel to concede the safety. What's more funny is when the punter uses the goal post (on the goal line) as a shield to run around and then still kneel.

And punts are live to anyone behind the kicker, meaning teams often play a gunner, and occasionally attempt the "onside punt". Ticats did it succesfully last year I think.

Oh and you also have the concept of 6 wides! 2 split ends and 4 slots, and the slots can all be in forward motion.

It's generally a far more interesting game because of the interesting rules.

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 03:15 PM

OI!

Start a different thread for this crap! Mutant form of football it is.

We have an extra player and the field is longer...
You go have fun.


:p

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
That punt rule sounds crazy. You get a point for THAT???
And for missing field goals (providing they go through the end zone - posts are in a similar position to rugby). :bash:

No kick-offs after field goals either.

Oh, and for a developed country stadiums in Canada are awful. Sorry Les and Jonboy, just stating a fact.

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlmatthews
OI!

Start a different thread for this crap! Mutant form of football it is.

We have an extra player and the field is longer...
You go have fun.


:p

Want me to start talking about Arena Football? ;)

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Want me to start talking about Arena Football? ;)
More of a sport than CFL :rolleyes:



:afro:

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 04:34 PM

So what's the current pecking order then?
NFL > AFL > The Testaverde family couch > CFL?

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
And for missing field goals (providing they go through the end zone - posts are in a similar position to rugby). :bash:

No kick-offs after field goals either.

.

So what happens after a field goal? A lineout? A scrum? A coin toss? Jump off?

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 05:16 PM

I think the other team get the ball on their own 35 yard line. Don't know where they came up with that from - seems quite random!

Think I'll have to record a game for you from NASN so you can see how bizarre a game it is. Having seen more games than I'd care to mention I think even I could get a job as a Special Teams coach in the CFL. Not sure I'd like to stand outside in Canada in November though, might be a problem in an interview. ;)

Grim Reaper 22-10-2007 05:24 PM

I guess that's not too random. Gives the other team OK field position to mount their next attack in a bid to keep the scoring back and forth and create more excitement

elliott 22-10-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
And for missing field goals (providing they go through the end zone - posts are in
Yeh. A missed field goal is in effect a punt. But stuff like that can also be returned given the deep end zones. If the kick is short, does the player kneel and concede 2, or just sneak out his endzone?

CFL kicks ass. If anyone knows how to torrent, there's loads of it. I hadn't missed a game until week 5! (sad i know but I wasn't working at the time!)

If anyone shows a massive interest in it, I can just about probably chuck a game onto DVD and take it to Wembley/post it.


AFL sucks. Still watch it tho.

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
So what's the current pecking order then?
NFL > AFL > The Testaverde family couch > CFL?

:D

Testaverde couch might be second ;)

Young Trolley 22-10-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Want me to start talking about Arena Football? ;)
I remember going to an Arena game at the Docklands years ago, Detroit Drive vs Chicago something or other I believe! :lux:

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 10:17 PM

Never ask if things can get worse. :sob:

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/...rown-knee.html

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
I guess that's not too random. Gives the other team OK field position to mount their next attack in a bid to keep the scoring back and forth and create more excitement
Yeah, but I like kick-offs. Gives the game a bit of variety.

Not many Devin Hesters in the CFL though.

elliott 22-10-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Never ask if things can get worse. :sob:

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/...rown-knee.html

Yup. Read that just now.

Armando Salguera - Worst journalist ever.

Bring back Ricky?

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 10:30 PM

I honestly don't know what the answer is. :(

It would be one thing to say we're getting good draft positions, but no Dolphins fan on this thread trusts the management to pick the right players.

At the very least we need to see if Beck can be the answer at QB. We need to find out so we can see if we need to pick Woodson/Brohm (or whoever else might elevate themselves as the best QB in the draft).

Ideally I'd like us to trade down for more picks, but I don't know if we'd get good value for that. For some reason today I re-read details of the Herschel Walker trade. Pity there's nothing like that going about. :(

elliott 22-10-2007 10:31 PM

Miami's first rounder (first pick of the draft) for Dallas's two lower first round picks?

I'd do that.

Beck needs to start for the rest of the season, and the beginning of next. We need to know about him now.

Strathclyde Eagle 22-10-2007 10:42 PM

Talk of the Cowboys really wanting McFadden (Arkansas). Maybe they'd do that?

elliott 22-10-2007 11:01 PM

Miami Dolphins 07 - The No-Name Offense.

Lemon, Chatman and Hagan as our offensive leaders. Sad really.

And ZT was in a car crash last night. Evidently he's okay tho.

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Never ask if things can get worse. :sob:

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/...rown-knee.html

Ouch!!!

When it rains, it pours.

jlmatthews 22-10-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Talk of the Cowboys really wanting McFadden (Arkansas). Maybe they'd do that?
They'd have to get rid of one of their backs first. Jones and Barber are already splitting carries.

That said, I don't know how long they have left on their contracts...

Strathclyde Eagle 23-10-2007 10:12 AM

McFadden from Arkansas, didn't Jerry Jones go to Uni there? Might make sense of that, although if I were them I'd stick with Barber and upgrade their defence.

Colts beat the Jagwires last night to stay unbeaten.

Inside Sport feature on the Dolphins wasn't too bad. Shame to hear Ronnie Brown talking about coming over for business prior to getting injured. :(

Nice to see Huizenga actually show his face in public for a change as well.

elliott 23-10-2007 11:56 AM

Watched that by accident. Looked quite good really.

elliott 23-10-2007 12:00 PM

"Cleo Lemon - At least he's the best player in his family"

Grim Reaper 24-10-2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Jagwires
Jagwires?

Surely it's Jag-WAAAHS!

;)

Grim Reaper 24-10-2007 07:30 AM

Surely this is gonna be a rout.

Given that for many people in this country their first full live match they saw was Superbowl XX when Chicago won 46-10, then the first full live match IN ENGLAND could easily be the same sort of outcome.

No Brown = even easier than before.

Would prefer it if MIami was 1-6 though. Just worried their only win will be the 'irony' of winning abroad

BVB Bob 24-10-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Surely this is gonna be a rout.

Given that for many people in this country their first full live match they saw was Superbowl XX when Chicago won 46-10, then the first full live match IN ENGLAND could easily be the same sort of outcome.

No Brown = even easier than before.

Would prefer it if MIami was 1-6 though. Just worried their only win will be the 'irony' of winning abroad

Given I've just seen about 10 of the Dolphins having a fry-up in a Portugese caff in Vauxhall, that could explain a lot about their results! Classy bunch.

Benzhiyi 24-10-2007 09:23 AM

I don't think offensive linemen and defensive tackles get those bellies on gym work alone, Bob.

Strathclyde Eagle 24-10-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Surely this is gonna be a rout.

Given that for many people in this country their first full live match they saw was Superbowl XX when Chicago won 46-10, then the first full live match IN ENGLAND could easily be the same sort of outcome.

No Brown = even easier than before.

Would prefer it if MIami was 1-6 though. Just worried their only win will be the 'irony' of winning abroad

Four words: The Eli Manning Face.

Plus we're getting to mid-season, the time of last year when Jason Taylor started winning game single-handledly.

I seem to have two handfuls of straws. :(

Lots of praise going to the Giants new DC. Seems a bit out of place given how the players supposedly hate Tom Coughlin.
Quote:

Originally posted by BVB Bob
Given I've just seen about 10 of the Dolphins having a fry-up in a Portugese caff in Vauxhall, that could explain a lot about their results! Classy bunch.
:confused:

I thought both teams were arriving in London on Friday morning?

On another travel note another Chargers home game could be in jeopardy due to the forest fires in Southern California. I like the way that the NFL still considers playing a game when half a million people are being evacuated from their homes, and only something as major as 9/11 gets games cancelled. :rolleyes:

nookiebear 24-10-2007 10:29 AM

More importantly :)

How the hell do the Redskins go about stopping the Patriots on Sunday? :)

I have confidence in the defense to at least slow Brady, et al down, but the Skins offense isn't that good at staying on the field...

Strathclyde Eagle 24-10-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
How the hell do the Redskins go about stopping the Patriots on Sunday? :)
Sneak Champ Bailey back into a Redskins jersey?

nookiebear 24-10-2007 11:59 AM

That'd be a start. Put Brady under pressure would help

Get the Skins' offense to convert some third downs in the second half would be handy as well

nookiebear 24-10-2007 12:03 PM

Interesting

Streaks
The Redskins have beaten the Patriots six straight times to take a 6-1 overall series lead. :)

Grim Reaper 24-10-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
Interesting

Streaks
The Redskins have beaten the Patriots six straight times to take a 6-1 overall series lead. :)

Ah yes, the streak. Worked well for Philly as they took on the Jets with a 7-0 franchise historical record two weeks ago and they duly won.

So how is it the Jets played the Bungles with a 5-0 streak and got turned over (depsite leading 23-10 in the 3rd!!!)??? :bash: :bash:

btw Philly are 9-0 under Andy Reid when coming off the bye week

Strathclyde Eagle 24-10-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
So how is it the Jets played the Bungles with a 5-0 streak and got turned over (depsite leading 23-10 in the 3rd!!!)??? :bash: :bash:

Because they are who we thought they were. :D
Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
btw Philly are 9-0 under Andy Reid when coming off the bye week
Any chance that he doesn't get the opportunity to make it 10-0? Reid could be on the hot seat at this rate.

jlmatthews 25-10-2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Because they are who we thought they were. :D

Well played, Tony.

Brett 25-10-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Colts beat the Jagwires last night to stay unbeaten.
Men against boys. Colts were always in control of that one.

Strathclyde Eagle 25-10-2007 01:40 PM

I've just looked at my first few mock drafts for next season.

The first one suggested we'd pick Glenn Dorsey (DL) from LSU with the number one pick (logical).

The second suggested we'd pick Brian Brohm (QB) from Louisville with the number two pick (hmm, not sure - plus they picked the Rams to have the top pick).

The last one suggested we'd take Matt Ryan (QB) from Boston College. Then again, they had Atlanta picking first and Kansas City fourth - I guess they haven't updated lately!

I personally think the Falcons (i.e. Petrino) will do anything to get Brohm. When we're confirmed as the number one pick I'd suggest taking Atlanta's first this year and next year plus DeAngelo Hall for the pick.

Strathclyde Eagle 25-10-2007 02:09 PM

Marvin Allen can do the same as Jason Allen after the season's end, i.e. leave Miami. :veryangry

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ussports...198495,00.html

What is it with people living in Croydon going to America and saying they support Arsenal? Luol Deng has done the same thing. :(

Grim Reaper 25-10-2007 04:45 PM

Just got this from nfluk

A surprise last opportunity has come up to purchase tickets for Sundays regular season game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants at Wembley Stadium on October 28th.


With just three days to go before kick-off of this historic event some tickets have come up following returns by the New York Giants players. For every NFL game standard policy is that players are given the right to buy a number of tickets each, and have until the Wednesday prior to the fixture to submit their requests. Now that the numbers of tickets needed to satisfy the Giants player requests are known we are able to free additional tickets to sell to fans.


I guess the thought of seeing Osi, Plaxico, Amani, Eli (it's like an African roll call!) and co. ripping Miami apart just wasn't enough of a draw to override the fact the GBP/USD exchange rate will kill visiting yanks in the pocket!!

Strathclyde Eagle 25-10-2007 06:58 PM

It's a Dolphins story I can at least smile about! :lux:

http://deadspin.com/sports/london-fo...rld-314977.php

elliott 25-10-2007 10:18 PM

No Zach either.

What's the point, I may as well stay home.

Strathclyde Eagle 25-10-2007 10:45 PM

I know Elliott, I know. If they're all staying at home why should we come out?

Grim Reaper 26-10-2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BVB Bob
Given I've just seen about 10 of the Dolphins having a fry-up in a Portugese caff in Vauxhall, that could explain a lot about their results! Classy bunch.
You sure?

Michael Strahan on NFLTA said both teams not getting here until Friday morning and seems to be backed up on here

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...contentID=5475

BVB Bob 26-10-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
You sure?

Michael Strahan on NFLTA said both teams not getting here until Friday morning and seems to be backed up on here

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...contentID=5475

Well I can assure you there were about 10 or so fecking huge black guys dressed in Dolphins sweatshirts, jogging "pants" and caps being directed to the all you can eat section by some short white guy in a Dolphins leather jacket and slacks. Looked like part of the tream to me.

Sadly I bottled the "hope you get stuffed on Sunday" line.

Strathclyde Eagle 26-10-2007 11:37 AM

Possibly the Fins' practice squad? I wouldn't imagine that a journo would go all the way to Florida to interview Marvin Allen.

Benzhiyi 26-10-2007 12:28 PM

Apparently Beck is going to be our starting QB after the bye week.

This excites me, but also makes me real nervous - he's bound to be bricking it behind center on (what will be) a 0-8 team, and a couple of shonky displays will only make that decision not to take Brady look all the more baffling.

Strathclyde Eagle 26-10-2007 01:24 PM

I'm not so worried about Beck, I'm more worried that he's got no-one to throw to. No Chambers, no Brown. David Martin doesn't scare anybody (except desperate fantasy owners).

If the boycott that rageagainstwayne.com* are trying to organise comes off at least the boo-birds won't be there on his debut.

* If you can take a protest seriously when it's hosted on MySpace.

jakeyboy 26-10-2007 01:42 PM

Just got offered tickets by a friend!!:lux:

nookiebear 26-10-2007 02:21 PM

Funny story :)

NFL Star: Londoners Speak English?

Updated: 11:56, Friday October 26, 2007
Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

The NFL player might want to check a map before he gets on board a plane for Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.


"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

nookiebear 26-10-2007 02:29 PM

Skins v Pats is the Red Button game after the Wembley match-up, do people think the Green Man pub will show both 8.15pm games?

Strathclyde Eagle 26-10-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nookiebear
Funny story :)

NFL Star: Londoners Speak English?

Updated: 11:56, Friday October 26, 2007
Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

The NFL player might want to check a map before he gets on board a plane for Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.


"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

Don't start this again. :D

(See gen chit-chat if you haven't already. I've just got back from lunch and am going to take a quick look at the carnage.)

Strathclyde Eagle 26-10-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Benzhiyi in General Chit Chat
Again, clueless, there's plenty of improvisation. What? You've never watched Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, LaDainian Tomlinson, Devin Hester? You aren't aware of the Colts' no-huddle offence? You don't know the first thing about how the Patriots D plays?

Oh.

Ben 1, Suex Eagle 0. :lux:

nookiebear 26-10-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Don't start this again. :D

(See gen chit-chat if you haven't already. I've just got back from lunch and am going to take a quick look at the carnage.)

Just seen it :D

He can't be that great at revising his Dolphins playbook if he doesn't even know that people in England speak English :D

saxoneagle 26-10-2007 05:51 PM

Finally got tickets to see an NFL match this year but will have to wait another month or so to see it... Colts @ Ravens.

Hopefully by then the Colts will have a "1" in the loss column from their game in a couple of weeks with the Pats!

saxoneagle 26-10-2007 05:51 PM

Still pissed off i'm missing the London game though!

saxoneagle 26-10-2007 07:26 PM

If the Pats and Colts win this week, the match in Indy will be a 7-0 team against an 8-0 team.

Has this ever happened where two unbeaten teams have met so late in the season?

It was pretty irregular to see two 5-0 teams playing (Cowbys v Pats) two weeks ago...

Grim Reaper 26-10-2007 09:24 PM

I take it Channing Crowder is amongst the 20% of yanks that can't find USA on a map

LLCOOLSTEVE 26-10-2007 09:28 PM

At work at Gatwick airport today, we had the Dolphins fly in along with a load of Cheerleaders :)

Strathclyde Eagle 26-10-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
If the Pats and Colts win this week, the match in Indy will be a 7-0 team against an 8-0 team.

Has this ever happened where two unbeaten teams have met so late in the season?

It was pretty irregular to see two 5-0 teams playing (Cowbys v Pats) two weeks ago...

Giants and 49'Ers were either 10-0 or 9-0 one year.

Mr C 27-10-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
I take it Channing Crowder is amongst the 20% of yanks that can't find USA on a map
His quote about London was a classic. Don't think he liked geography at school :o

Strathclyde Eagle 27-10-2007 10:28 AM

The America's Game documentaries on Saturday mornings are great. The Cowboys (SB XXII) was on this morning - that Thomas Henderson is a strange guy.

Strathclyde Eagle 27-10-2007 10:32 AM

Obviously didn't speak to anyone on this thread!
http://www.miamiherald.com/457/story/286308.html

Strathclyde Eagle 27-10-2007 10:52 AM

What a shame, JT's brought his wife with him to London.

http://www.phinatics.com/dougswebima...tinataylor.jpg

Actually if she can tackle half as well as her brother then she can start at middle linebacker. Probably makes her better than anyone else there.

Grim Reaper 27-10-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Giants and 49'Ers were either 10-0 or 9-0 one year.
1990-91 season??

Benzhiyi 27-10-2007 07:35 PM

I can't look at her without seeing Zach. I hope JT doesn't feel that way...

Strathclyde Eagle 27-10-2007 10:52 PM

"Zach Thomas is one of those no-neck guys. Every time you look at him you think, hey, where'd his neck go?" (I think I heard that quote about five minutes into every game I ever played in Madden '99.)
Quote:

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
1990-91 season??
Think so. :p

jlmatthews 28-10-2007 04:15 PM

Kenny Mayne did a piece from England. I'll look for a link. It made me laugh.

Chester 28-10-2007 10:14 PM

The Patriots really are different gravy

jlmatthews 28-10-2007 10:33 PM

Ummm... They look really good.

jlmatthews 28-10-2007 10:40 PM

Going for it on 4th down up 38...

davematt 28-10-2007 10:49 PM

Went to Wembley today and the Fins were truely shocking. Their defence isnt stable (Manning's TD was just ridiculous defending from Dolphins perspective) and in offence, they hardly offer anything.

Giants were solid, but nothing special.

Watching the 49ers now getting a spanking from New Orelans :(

And the Patriots; well, unstoppable. Next weeks game against the Colts is going to be massive.

saxoneagle 28-10-2007 10:52 PM

Shame the baseball means no Sunday night match tonight :(

Oh well, I'll take pleasure in my Patriots getting ready for the Colts at 8-0!

Let's shutout the Skins and make Brady and Bill's first win against them even sweeter!

jlmatthews 28-10-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt
Went to Wembley today and the Fins were truely shocking. Their defence isnt stable (Manning's TD was just ridiculous defending from Dolphins perspective) and in offence, they hardly offer anything.

Giants were solid, but nothing special. .

Did it piss down rain the whole game?

davematt 28-10-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlmatthews
Did it piss down rain the whole game?
A few dry spells, but mostly rain.

Didnt make it easy for control on the ball. Kicking and catching was very sloppt at times.

saxoneagle 28-10-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Shame the baseball means no Sunday night match tonight :(

Oh well, I'll take pleasure in my Patriots getting ready for the Colts at 8-0!

Let's shutout the Skins and make Brady and Bill's first win against them even sweeter!

Damn, spoke about 5 plays too soon! Bring on the Colts!

davematt 28-10-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saxoneagle
Damn, spoke about 5 plays too soon! Bring on the Colts!
Another fine win nevertheless!

Next weeks game is going to be great. Best two teams by a mile going head to head.

jlmatthews 28-10-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davematt


Next weeks game is going to be great. Best two teams by a mile going head to head.

I really hope they show it in my market! If they don't I might have to drive home next weekend so I can watch it!

OK, football's over. Everyone root on the Sox tonight!!!:lux:

davematt 28-10-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlmatthews
OK, football's over. Everyone root on the Sox tonight!!!:lux:
I would like to see the Rockies get a win tonight to keep the series alive.

The 9 day break has turned against them big time.

Cant see anything but a World Series clinching win for the Red Sox's tonight though.

Halfwayline 29-10-2007 12:31 AM

Shame it was such a poor game today. I thought the atmosphere was nowhere near that of an England match. Probably due to having fans from every NFL club rather than 75,000 Fins fans and 5,000 NY fans. The 3,500 that did travel to the UK were quiet, perhaps they should have had their own section? Only 25 mins to get on to Wembley Stadium station instead of 45 mins for an England game. Fish & Chip meal now 8 :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.