CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazman
I kind of disagree with Paul, the Pats winning is not a foregone conclusion. The bye week for teams can have quite the opposite effect when compared with a team winning a wild card game going into the next fired up and in form off the back of a win ...

Looking forward to all the games this weekend ... I'm plumping for Pats, Ravens, Bears and Packers.

Bill is unbeaten in New England coming off a bye week or play-off bye week.

I'm rarely confident and I know i'm setting myself up for a massive fall should we lose.

But a pissed-off Brady vs an overthrowing Sanchez and a focused, well-prepared Belichick vs Rex Ryan with a week to prepare is tough on the Jets.

That Jets D is good enough to stop the Colts D. The Colts cannot run the ball and their Offense is simple. Slants, incuts, pick routes and quick outs along with the TE going up the seam. With the occasional streak by a WR.

Revis and Cromartie vs Garcon and Wayne was childs play. Big Receivers are what the Jets love.

Now, switch to New England. Gronkowski and Hernandez are too quick for the Outside Linebackers and far too big for the Safeties to cover 1 on 1.

Cromartie will be burnt all game by Branch or Welker. Whichever one is not on Revis Island.

Brady won't throw at Revis all game unless the guy is wide open.

On Defense, if Sanchez is throwing like he did against the Colts, it's no contest. This young Secondary is turnover-driven. He can have 300 yards, but if he has 3 interceptions, it's over. And if he is overthrowing towards Edwards, McCourty will pick him off again going downfield.

The only way the Pats lose is if the Jets put up 200 on the ground.

And with Sanchez and Tomlinson playing in the snow again, this game is 90% over.

Swanny32 14-01-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Bill is unbeaten in New England coming off a bye week or play-off bye week.

I'm rarely confident and I know i'm setting myself up for a massive fall should we lose.

But a pissed-off Brady vs an overthrowing Sanchez and a focused, well-prepared Belichick vs Rex Ryan with a week to prepare is tough on the Jets.

That Jets D is good enough to stop the Colts D. The Colts cannot run the ball and their Offense is simple. Slants, incuts, pick routes and quick outs along with the TE going up the seam. With the occasional streak by a WR.

Revis and Cromartie vs Garcon and Wayne was childs play. Big Receivers are what the Jets love.

Now, switch to New England. Gronkowski and Hernandez are too quick for the Outside Linebackers and far too big for the Safeties to cover 1 on 1.

Cromartie will be burnt all game by Branch or Welker. Whichever one is not on Revis Island.

Brady won't throw at Revis all game unless the guy is wide open.

On Defense, if Sanchez is throwing like he did against the Colts, it's no contest. This young Secondary is turnover-driven. He can have 300 yards, but if he has 3 interceptions, it's over. And if he is overthrowing towards Edwards, McCourty will pick him off again going downfield.

The only way the Pats lose is if the Jets put up 200 on the ground.

And with Sanchez and Tomlinson playing in the snow again, this game is 90% over.

No one likes cockiness Paul. I had a discussion with Ardeo yesterday about this weekends matchups and my precise words were,

"Pats I think will dick on the Jets and make them look like a bunch of rookies (oh god how I hope they do). Itís amazing what one trip to the New Meadowlands can do! Once upon a time I actually thought about picking the Jets as my team, I didnít mind them at all and as you know, I despise the Pats, but now Iíd wear a Pats jersey before I wore a Jets jersey!"

It's no skin off your nose Paul, but it's not the teams in either case here that make me hate the Pats or Jets, it's the fans, and I have to say that comments like "this game is 90% over" just make me want to side with the Jets. Unfortunately, then I'll think back to that evening at the New Meadowlands in week 1 and remember the really hot Jets fan about 10 rows back, mouthing off to a Ravens fan, like a dirty New Jersey whore bag she was and then the two fat Jets fans punching the crap out of each other in the concourse after the game. The more I think about it, the more I'd rather the two sets of fans were just wiped off the face of the planet.

There, I said it.

AddiscombeEagle 14-01-2011 02:25 PM

Have you all seen the new York times star wars mock up for the pats jets game. Quality, especially bellichek and Rex.

AddiscombeEagle 14-01-2011 02:28 PM

http://twitpic.com/3pv0c7

Adlerhorst 14-01-2011 02:29 PM

Is the spread for the Seahawks at the Bears still 10 points?

Can see that coming down before it starts. Arb opportunity if you ask me.

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
No one likes cockiness Paul. I had a discussion with Ardeo yesterday about this weekends matchups and my precise words were,

"Pats I think will dick on the Jets and make them look like a bunch of rookies (oh god how I hope they do). Itís amazing what one trip to the New Meadowlands can do! Once upon a time I actually thought about picking the Jets as my team, I didnít mind them at all and as you know, I despise the Pats, but now Iíd wear a Pats jersey before I wore a Jets jersey!"

It's no skin off your nose Paul, but it's not the teams in either case here that make me hate the Pats or Jets, it's the fans, and I have to say that comments like "this game is 90% over" just make me want to side with the Jets. Unfortunately, then I'll think back to that evening at the New Meadowlands in week 1 and remember the really hot Jets fan about 10 rows back, mouthing off to a Ravens fan, like a dirty New Jersey whore bag she was and then the two fat Jets fans punching the crap out of each other in the concourse after the game. The more I think about it, the more I'd rather the two sets of fans were just wiped off the face of the planet.

There, I said it.

Say it if you like.

It really doesn't bother me as I've seen the same posts from their fans on our forums.

"Put Revis on Hernandez, Cromartie on Tate, Wilson on Branch and double Welker with the Safety and it's over".

I'm rarely confident or cocky. The last Jets game I wasn't confident. Nor Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Vikes and a few others this season.

But this game, I'm confident.

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 02:40 PM

I am still nervous, I was quietly confident, but we have a website so I wanted to say I was confident for once.

If we lose, we lose.

It's still a rebuilding year for the Patriots. With 3 more draft picks in 2011 in the top 33, there's more to come in the future hopefully

Swanny32 14-01-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

I am still nervous, I was quietly confident, but we have a website so I wanted to say I was confident for once.

If we lose, we lose.

It's still a rebuilding year for the Patriots. With 3 more draft picks in 2011 in the top 33, there's more to come in the future hopefully

I must say, you guys are in a very good position, you have a team that IMO will win the Superbowl this year, add some high draft picks next year and you'll be back on top for a few years I'd have thought.

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny32
I must say, you guys are in a very good position, you have a team that IMO will win the Superbowl this year, add some high draft picks next year and you'll be back on top for a few years I'd have thought.

The fact that Bill has rebuilt and kept the team in the playoff hunt the last 2 years (admittedly we never had a shot last year) is amazing.

IMO, whatever the result, this is his best year as a coach.

Swanny32 14-01-2011 03:14 PM

Is there any news on what's going on in Washington, the last I heard was that McNabb was going to ask for a trade once the season is over, has he done that yet? I'd assume he'd end up in Minnesota?

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 03:23 PM

There's no point him asking for a trade until the CBA is done.

I'd keep an eye out for Arizona.

McNabb to Fitz and Breaston could be deadly.

saxoneagle 14-01-2011 03:42 PM

My picks for this weekend:
Steelers
Bears
Packers

Was 1 of 4 last weekend.

Swanny32 14-01-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle
My picks for this weekend:
Steelers
Bears
Packers

Was 1 of 4 last weekend.

I think a lot of people would have been 1 and 4 after last week.

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 04:42 PM

I was 2 of 4. Ravens and Packers got me through.

My picks (ignoring the obvious):
Ravens. When they talk the talk, they walk the walk. Unlike the Jets. But, if they lose, prepare for some whining from Lewis and Suggs as always.

Bears. Seattle need to win the Superbowl to have a winning record.

Packers. I don't see the Falcons D slowing Rodgers, Jennings and Starks. I can see BJ Raji and Clay Matthews getting to Ryan and slowing Turner.

Rodgers showing that you can lose your TE and 2nd best Receiver and still have a high-flying passing attack with very few interceptions. Hint: Peyton.

ardeo 14-01-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

I was 2 of 4. Ravens and Packers got me through.

My picks (ignoring the obvious):
Ravens. When they talk the talk, they walk the walk. Unlike the Jets. But, if they lose, prepare for some whining from Lewis and Suggs as always.

Bears. Seattle need to win the Superbowl to have a winning record.

Packers. I don't see the Falcons D slowing Rodgers, Jennings and Starks. I can see BJ Raji and Clay Matthews getting to Ryan and slowing Turner.

Rodgers showing that you can lose your TE and 2nd best Receiver and still have a high-flying passing attack with very few interceptions. Hint: Peyton.

Agree about the Ravens, I have them to win, have got all the pieces if firing.

Bears D will be too muuch for Seahawks, even if Cutler worries me.

Agree about Packers, although Rodgers has won games with an excellent defence, something Peyton hasn't had this year.

pauldrulez 14-01-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardeo
Agree about the Ravens, I have them to win, have got all the pieces if firing.

Bears D will be too muuch for Seahawks, even if Cutler worries me.

Agree about Packers, although Rodgers has won games with an excellent defence, something Peyton hasn't had this year.

But, the reason Peyton doesn't have an excellent Defense is because for years on end, it was first round pick after first round pick spent on the Offensive Side of the ball.

2007 and 2009, they took Running Backs in Addai and Brown. Yet they can't run the ball.

LLCOOLSTEVE 14-01-2011 06:20 PM

Jaz you really have a 13 year old? I always thought you were about 23,24 years old! :)

Funk Butter 14-01-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

About 30 ethnic Samoans, many from American Samoa, currently play in the National Football League, and more than 200 play NCAA Division I college football. In recent years, it has been estimated that a Samoan male (either an American Samoan, or a Samoan living in the 50 United States) is anywhere from 40 to 56 times more likely to play in the NFL than a non-Samoan American. Nine-time All-Pro Junior Seau is one of the most famous Samoans ever to play in the NFL, having been elected to the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team. Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, though born and raised in the mainland U.S., is perhaps the most famous Samoan currently in the NFL, not having his hair cut since 2000 (and only because a USC coach told him he had to) and wearing it down during games in honor of his heritage. The football culture was featured on 60 Minutes January 17, 2010.
So, if you want your kid to play in the NFL, send him to Samoa after he's born.

saxoneagle 14-01-2011 06:26 PM

He is - he started young.

ardeo 14-01-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

But, the reason Peyton doesn't have an excellent Defense is because for years on end, it was first round pick after first round pick spent on the Offensive Side of the ball.

2007 and 2009, they took Running Backs in Addai and Brown. Yet they can't run the ball.

That's beside the point, I was just saying it's not an entirely fair comparison, as Rodgers has more help on the D side of the ball, so doesn't have to win games entirely by himself, which Peyton has had to do this season seemingly.