CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The NFL thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137231)

Swanny32 12-08-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldrulez
Eagles camp still not good for injuries.

Hank Baskett now hurt.

That's 3 injuries in 2 days.

Not such a massive loss as Bradley, it does make me wonder what the hell they are doing on that training field.

elliott 12-08-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Bernard Pollard - obviously the least intelligent guy this side of Hicktown

Standard.

Every team will have someone this offseason who sees the QB and forgets that red means no. It's because they get so hyped up.

After a few minutes of arguing and shouting its all forgotten.

pauldrulez 12-08-2009 11:31 AM

He'll be sent to run a lap while the O-Linemen calm down I would imagine.

Bit funny that it would be that player who hits that quarterback.

Man, it's only about 36 hours or so until I see Thomas Brady throw a pass to Randall and Wesley again ;)

I'll be finding links for the following games on Thursday: Washington @ Baltimore and New England @ Philadelphia

Friday: None (There are games, but none of interest to on here)

Saturday: Houston @ Kansas City and Seattle @ San Diego

Monday: Jags @ Dolphins and Panthers @ Giants.

Any other games, then i'l do my best to find them for you all.

pauldrulez 12-08-2009 11:45 AM

Not sure who will be the best person to answer this on here, maybe elliott because he plays it and knows the stuff.

But everyone is welcome.

It's a formation question but involves what the Pats have been doing at Training Camp.

Right, the Patriots are known as the 3-4 team and that is what Belichick installed and has passed on through his guys who have moved out into the league.

But, this training camp, there have been a lot of the strong 4-3 packages with Ron Brace alongside Wilfork with Seymour and Warren as the Ends who IMHO are too big for that position.

But, this has been the personnel being used recently:
Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
Thomas, Burgess
Guyton and Mayo.

Apparently they have been lining up with 6 on the line, Mayo floating around as the lone Linebacker with the 2 safeties and CBs.

With the personnel on the field, they can go 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 or 6-1. Apparently something Dean Pees has done in college.

Now, with the Bills going to No Huddle, you have to have the right personnel on field most of the time, so this may be part of the reason, but has this type of formation been common in the NFL before?

Oh, and it wasn't being used on short yardage apparently.

elliott 12-08-2009 12:20 PM

Very old school, a 5 man D line was used with two middle LBs. I think Stram or Landry or someone decided that if you move the very middle man back a few yards, it means he gets better chase down angles, particularly a fast MLB like Sam Huff, and so the 4-3 was born.

Landry then developed this into the Flex D. This involves shifting one or two of the D line, at the very last minute, moving them 1 or 2 yards off the line. You may think this is a weakness, but it makes getting to the player, and blocking the player in the direction you want a lot harder. It also gives the player more time to read the play.

Since then, various different interesting fronts have been used, from the #53 defense in Miami, which is a 3-4 which can shift into a 4-3 using #54 Bob Matheson.

Buddy Ryan also developed an interesting front, the #46 defense, which aims to completely overload one side, and blitz the offense.

Interestingly (and I often mention this on here!) in 2004, Pats rarely ran a scheme with no down linemen at all.

So, in conclusion. It sounds very interesting, and very sensible, but the world of defense always changes. If it makes it onto the field, it'll be interesting to watch, and could well be in response to the Bills no-huddle.

pauldrulez 12-08-2009 12:32 PM

Sounds good.

I think it's in response to Bruschi aging and only having 2 of the 4 Linebackers necessary for Run and Pass. Thomas and Mayo.

This would mean that Burgess and Thomas could be OLB's with Guyton and Mayo in the middle.

How have Wake, Porter and Taylor been doing so far?

elliott 12-08-2009 12:39 PM

I think Porter and Taylor have been their usual selves.

Cam Wake hasn't really lived up to the hype. Hopefully with some special teams though, he'll make the roster.

pauldrulez 12-08-2009 12:44 PM

How is he built? Big up top or big legs.

The reason why Gary Guyton made the team last year and was active on gameday was due to having big legs (sounds weird lol).

Whereas Crable who was a 3rd round pick, was inactive for 7 weeks and then IR'ed. Because he had a huge upperbody, but weak legs. And was all but useless on ST.

Guyton now a starter, Crable battling for reps. Shows how crucial your ST work is.

AFCE could be very good this year.

If the Bills hit the ground running again with the No Huddle, the Jets will struggle considering they are using Gholston as a pass rusher only.

Over/Under on Wins outside of the AFCEast. 40 games. I reckon AFCE win over 25 of them

elliott 12-08-2009 12:57 PM

AFC East has a tough schedule though.

pauldrulez 12-08-2009 01:23 PM

True.

But, there are 3 very strong teams who have improved this year. Pats, Phins and Bills.

Yes, the Jets have improved their D. But they have one WR and a very good TE. They are supposedly looking to trade Jones as Greene has had a good camp.

I reckon Saints will do well against our division. We'll sweep the Bucs. Panthers and Falcons will be tough. Not worried about Titans or Jags.

I need one of Saxon's schedule things that he sent out last year.

I'll do one and put it up here later.

AddiscombeEagle 13-08-2009 05:07 PM

check your emails if you have got tickets for the game at wembley this year as the tailgate applications email has just arrived and it is first come first served.

pauldrulez 13-08-2009 05:41 PM

Thanks, Much wanted

I wouldn't have known about this.

Card was cancelled around time of sale and had to use Mums email and card. They are on holiday so would have missed out.

Even if I decide not to go, they were going for a decent price on eBay last year ;)

Steve, I recommend the Green Man pub tailgate, I think a lot from here are going as well.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 13-08-2009 05:52 PM

A lot of talk here in charlotte about vick joining the panthers. Had a sneaky suspicion they'd be interested due to the panthers' love of running the ball.

Local opinion seems to be that most are willing to forgive his past transgressions if he brings something to the team. I'd imagine there'd be plenty of extremely pissed off Georgians out there though...

AddiscombeEagle 13-08-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Much wanted I wouldn't have known about this. Card was cancelled around time of sale and had to use Mums email and card. They are on holiday so would have missed out. Even if I decide not to go, they were going for a decent price on eBay last year ;) Steve, I recommend the Green Man pub tailgate, I think a lot from here are going as well.

i have heard that is meant to be good, talk of a uk ravens meet up as well so could be all over the place.

pauldrulez 13-08-2009 06:01 PM

The Vick thing seems to be taking off over Twitter.

Schefter reckons the only reason he hasn't signed for a team today, is because that team is playing tonight.

So narrows it down a bit, if his sources are right.

Skins, Ravens, Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, Cardinals, Steelers and the Eagles are playing tonight.

Rule out Cowboys, Cardinals and the Eagles.

Leaves Skins, Ravens, Patriots, Raiders and Steelers.

Of course, that's only if Schefter is correcto

Swanny32 13-08-2009 06:19 PM

Bring on the Pats tonight, we have injuries galore but the starters are playing into the 2nd quarter, or so Reid says.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the score tonight before you two Pats bum chums start all the fight talk, especially Bellyman! I'm more concerned that players are dropping like flies for us at the moment.

ardeo 13-08-2009 06:29 PM

Come on - no injuries tonight to Eagles players please

pauldrulez 13-08-2009 09:33 PM

Same as.

No injuries please.

I'm not all that bothered by the Starters playing. Just no injuries.

I'm sure in the first couple of series, Brady is going to be on his arse from some major blitzing as that's what Philly did in pre-season against the 3 back-ups last year when we played.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lesser players get a chance.

Eagles fans, watch out for Terrence Nunn, the guy who I done a bit of an article about a few posts back. Genuinely hope he does well.

I'll provide links for those that want it, closer to game time.

nookiebear 13-08-2009 11:48 PM

Good scheduling by ITV, Tom Brady made a guest appearance in Entourage tonight :) He was alright in it as well

Excited to see how the Redskins get on tonight :lux:

pauldrulez 13-08-2009 11:51 PM

Am I the only divvy off work tomorrow who will stay up and watch the majority of it.

Though I have to be up at 7 anyway :(

Tesco to get a birthday present and then Thorpe Park :lux:

Please No Injuries.