CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things that annoy you (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255975)

Reps AJ 30-06-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14806855)
I [....] can't find much objection to calling someone a 'cretin.'

It's a derogatory term originally coming from people suffering from a specific illness.

One of the few things I've learnt from my time on here

CP-RJW 30-06-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 14806945)
It's a derogatory term originally coming from people suffering from a specific illness.

One of the few things I've learnt from my time on here

And I think most importantly, it still carries those connotations. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the use of ‘idiot’ for example, which would’ve been used in the same way 200 years ago, but has seemingly transgressed those boundaries and is now just more of a general insult for a stupid person.

wedgetail 30-06-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14806808)
Yep that was it’s original usage, and I think some African Americans argue that it’s been culturally appropriated. Nowadays it’s widely used for describing mostly young people who are conscious about societal discrimination and ‘PC’ issues in general.

I like to think that I’m conscious of these kind of issues, but I’d never call myself ‘woke’ as I don’t want to associate myself with the sort of people who will defend transgender people against discrimination whilst insulting a just as marginalised group in disabled people by using words like ‘cretins.’

Cultural appropriation,
The most patheticly vacuous idea imaginable.

CP-RJW 30-06-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 14806977)
Cultural appropriation,
The most patheticly vacuous idea imaginable.

I mean it’s perfectly true in the case of say jazz music in the 50s. But some of the modern examples people come up with are silly, yes.

Hedgehog 30-06-2019 08:17 PM

... when you get to the bottom of a tall glass of ice water and the ice is all stuck at the bottom... as you tip it back to get the last dregs of water, the ice lets loose and goes all over your face and clothes.

Refreshing though!

Son of Selhurst 30-06-2019 08:29 PM

Kylie headlining Glastonbury and singing especially for you without Jason as special guest

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 30-06-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 14806945)
It's a derogatory term originally coming from people suffering from a specific illness.

One of the few things I've learnt from my time on here

I take your point but very few people know that when using that word. Part of the problem free speech faces is the priority placed upon what someone chooses to interpret from what is said rather that what was actually meant. That leads to an impossible standard of behaviour, speaking in such a way that no one anywhere, under any personal circumstance, could possible choose to interpret something as hurtful and feel 'offended.'

There has to be a difference between what is said that someone else, due to personal circumstances, could construe as personally hurtful and a statement that is evident, blanket hatred, such as the Nazi party's statements about various races or the rantings of the KKK.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 30-06-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14806887)
I don’t think it matters how ‘literal’ it is. It’s really hurtful towards lots of disabled people, and reinforces general negative attitudes towards them. It took meeting a disabled girl at uni who’s very frustrated with some self identified ‘leftists’ tendencies to use words like these to properly open my eyes to the issue.

I think 'literal' matters as there is the nuance of intention. We can't only care about what is interpreted; we also have to care what was meant. While I would condemn anyone insensitive enough to use the word 'moron' around someone with learning difficulties, I wouldn't if someone said that to a joy rider who just smashed into the side of their car. There has to be a limit to the responsibility we can emplace on someone for how their words are interpreted. It's a matter of degree. Still, sorry to hear about your friend.

Brett 30-06-2019 10:40 PM

Having to move yet again because of arsehole neighbours. What is this obsession with earth-trembling noise? :veryangry

davech 01-07-2019 12:15 AM

That Tom Bloody Hark at the cricket!

Someone somewhere must be getting pretty damn rich with it.

Maidstoned Eagle 01-07-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14806739)
Woke PC types who hurl around ableist slurs like ‘r3tard,’ ‘cretin,’ ‘spa5tic’ etc. Only PC when they feel like it apparently. Pricks.

The divs.

danpalace07 01-07-2019 09:08 PM

Virgin poxy Media and their wanky internet

looking forward to ******* them off for literally anyone else

Wayne Andrews is God 02-07-2019 11:12 AM

‘Circa’ becoming the new pseudo intellectual word to use on the BBS. Every other post someone uses it for some reason.

Vendy 02-07-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Andrews is God (Post 14808696)
‘Circa’ becoming the new pseudo intellectual word to use on the BBS. Every other post someone uses it for some reason.

This started circa 2016 *****

weltklasse 02-07-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14807385)
The divs.

What's Gor Blimey got to do with it?

weltklasse 02-07-2019 12:42 PM

Alan shearer getting paid at all for his so called punditry let alone £440k

Richard 02-07-2019 01:23 PM

Gary Lineker's salary, relative to his talent.

Richard 02-07-2019 01:24 PM

The BBC's takeover of, and obsession with, Glastonbury.

Olympian2 02-07-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 14808838)
The BBC's takeover of, and obsession with, Glastonbury.

See post 27641 :p :p

Wayne Andrews is God 02-07-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendy (Post 14808717)
This started circa 2016 *****

Haha

Olympian2 02-07-2019 04:33 PM

BBC reporting the First Round of Wimbledon as the 'Round of 128'. **** off.

WorthingEagle 02-07-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14809022)
BBC reporting the First Round of Wimbledon as the 'Round of 128'. **** off.

Looking forward to the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup being called the 'Round of 736'.

Olympian2 02-07-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorthingEagle (Post 14809035)
Looking forward to the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup being called the 'Round of 736'.

:lux: :lux: :lux:

Cuddles 02-07-2019 05:21 PM

Dan Maskell must be turning in his grave!

Coastal Palace 03-07-2019 06:38 AM

Morons annoy me. Especially ugly ones...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...omplaint-dumbo

Worksop Palace 03-07-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14809022)
BBC reporting the First Round of Wimbledon as the 'Round of 128'. **** off.

The BBC coverage full stop. One of the Jonathan’s on Radio 5 - can’t remember if it’s Overend or Ledgard but holy shit, how sycophantic can one person get.

Isle of Wight 03-07-2019 09:08 AM

VAR

Son of Selhurst 03-07-2019 09:14 AM

"-shaming"

chrisophiex 03-07-2019 09:20 AM

When a tennis player falls or slips over and the commentator acts like he's probably shattered his pelvis, or worse.

Maidstoned Eagle 03-07-2019 10:10 AM

People who watch the tennis and then moan about it.

chrisophiex 03-07-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14809951)
People who watch the tennis and then moan about it.


Um.... that’s what this thread is for, numbnuts.

Maidstoned Eagle 03-07-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14810032)
Um.... that’s what this thread is for, numbnuts.

I know, and the whinging annoys me, doofus.

weltklasse 03-07-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14809022)
BBC reporting the First Round of Wimbledon as the 'Round of 128'. **** off.

the final will be known as the round of two?

chrisophiex 03-07-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14810065)
I know, and the whinging annoys me, doofus.

Touché.

Richard 03-07-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14808848)
See post 27641 :p :p

My apologies !

Reps AJ 03-07-2019 02:28 PM

The sun is out, it's hot, I work in a dress down office and there's someone in a suit.

Not sure why it annoys me but it does.

Icy 03-07-2019 03:30 PM

Walking into a shop and getting immediately pounced on by 4 members of staff.

old traf 03-07-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14807023)
I think 'literal' matters as there is the nuance of intention. We can't only care about what is interpreted; we also have to care what was meant. While I would condemn anyone insensitive enough to use the word 'moron' around someone with learning difficulties, I wouldn't if someone said that to a joy rider who just smashed into the side of their car. There has to be a limit to the responsibility we can emplace on someone for how their words are interpreted. It's a matter of degree. Still, sorry to hear about your friend.

Exactly right, its not the word as such, its the way you use it and to whom,for example, it does not bother me in slightest if my friends call me an idiot or moron if i was to burn their burgers on the BBQ, it would more than likely am-muse me

old traf 03-07-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reps AJ (Post 14810290)
The sun is out, it's hot, I work in a dress down office and there's someone in a suit.

Not sure why it annoys me but it does.

Maybe he hasn't got any dress down clothes, only suits.

Coastal Palace 03-07-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 14810384)
Walking into a shop and getting immediately pounced on by 4 members of staff.

Or walking into somewhere like Currys and not seeing an assistant when you need one anywhere.

chrisophiex 03-07-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 14810384)
Walking into a shop and getting immediately pounced on by 4 members of staff.


You should try popping into your local massage parlour

Hedgehog 03-07-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 14810384)
Walking into a shop and getting immediately pounced on by 4 members of staff.

Walking into most stores here is like boarding the Mary Celeste!

cappuccinoeagle 03-07-2019 08:09 PM

Genie Bouchard getting knocked out in the first round of Wimbledon- I wonder if she should jack it in?

Oldtown Eagle 03-07-2019 09:17 PM

Anyone having probs with by broadband. Driving me crazy. Off, on ,off, on.

Oldtown Eagle 03-07-2019 09:18 PM

BT to should say

Am Phibian 03-07-2019 09:18 PM

*spit* Arsewipe FC

Coastal Palace 03-07-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 14810695)
Anyone having probs with by broadband. Driving me crazy. Off, on ,off, on.

When it's on, stop pushing the off button.

Oldtown Eagle 03-07-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14810728)
When it's on, stop pushing the off button.

:D Thanks. Do you work in IT?

Maidstoned Eagle 04-07-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14810510)
Walking into most stores here is like boarding the Mary Celeste!

A bloody cutlass and a free meal ready to eat for everyone? Sounds great.

Coastal Palace 04-07-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle (Post 14810875)
:D Thanks. Do you work in IT?

Idiot Territory?
Yes.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-07-2019 09:24 AM

The American way of using nouns as a verb. Today I hear an Australian woman's body was found as she failed to summit Everest.

Olympian2 04-07-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 14811019)
The American way of using nouns as a verb. Today I hear an Australian woman's body was found as she failed to summit Everest.

'medal'

KYLIE MINEAGLE 04-07-2019 10:09 AM

Podium .ffs

art malice 04-07-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 14811019)
The American way of using nouns as a verb. Today I hear an Australian woman's body was found as she failed to summit Everest.

Maybe it was like a crossword clue: ‘she failed to something Everest?’

‘Mount?’

‘Close’

‘Climb!’

‘Correct’

Icy 04-07-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14810508)
You should try popping into your local massage parlour

Well that's my plans for the evening sorted :D

Hedgehog 04-07-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14810966)
A bloody cutlass and a free meal ready to eat for everyone? Sounds great.

Arrr... that be true.

This is the place for you matey...

Pirates Dinner Place

Isle of Wight 05-07-2019 01:14 AM

My daughter visited the wedgewood factory in Stoke where she bought me a “London Scene” mug al the by appointment since yaddada on the bottom. A sticker on the side with a bar code and underneath in tiny writing “made in China”

Gollum 05-07-2019 01:44 AM

Indulgent parents who allow their toddlers to (very slowly) climb up/climb down public staircases irrespective of the snaking queue of people behind them....

Timbo 05-07-2019 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14810644)
Genie Bouchard getting knocked out in the first round of Wimbledon- I wonder if she should jack it in?

They say she bottled it

StonePenge 05-07-2019 02:13 AM

People starting their fireworks display in broad daylight. Duh !

Timbo 05-07-2019 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 14811059)
Maybe it was like a crossword clue: ‘she failed to something Everest?’

‘Mount?’

‘Close’

‘Climb!’

‘Correct’

"Fit the best"

Timbo 05-07-2019 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 14812209)
My daughter visited the wedgewood factory in Stoke where she bought me a “London Scene” mug al the by appointment since yaddada on the bottom. A sticker on the side with a bar code and underneath in tiny writing “made in China”

......So what did you think the mug would be made out of? :rolleyes:

Hedgehog 05-07-2019 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14812221)
......So what did you think the mug would be made out of? :rolleyes:

Wood?

CT_Palace 05-07-2019 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonePenge (Post 14812219)
People starting their fireworks display in broad daylight. Duh !

Fireworks going off during the day generally means "drugs for sale" in Santiago.
Could be your local Stamford dealers using the same method to draw the customers?

Hedgehog 05-07-2019 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonePenge (Post 14812219)
People starting their fireworks display in broad daylight. Duh !

Been a few going off in the last hour (still very light). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are practice runs.

Very illegal though, both now and when it gets dark.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 05-07-2019 03:42 AM

Bands at football matches. Watch the game ffs.

JJ 05-07-2019 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14812218)
They say she bottled it

:D

JJ 05-07-2019 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 14811019)
The American way of using nouns as a verb. Today I hear an Australian woman's body was found as she failed to summit Everest.

Australians do the same. "[insert name] was farewelled today."

olly cromwell 05-07-2019 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 14812238)
Bands at football matches. Watch the game ffs.

The England football band :S:

Get rid please

KYLIE MINEAGLE 05-07-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 14812244)
Australians do the same. "[insert name] was farewelled today."

They do a lot of vowing to. And as for iconic. Don't start me.

EastBerksEagle 05-07-2019 09:59 AM

The Frank Lampard love in

Maidstoned Eagle 05-07-2019 10:28 AM

My gym giving cheap membership to a local school, so now the place is full of giggling girls taking selfies continuously and leaning on all the equipment without actually using it.

strawberry mivi 05-07-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonePenge (Post 14812219)
People starting their fireworks display in broad daylight. Duh !

More preferable to 2300 or midnight when decent folk are tucked up in bed.

cappuccinoeagle 05-07-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14812218)
They say she bottled it


Just worked it out! 🤔

chateauferret 05-07-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastBerksEagle (Post 14812339)
The Frank Lampard love in

This will become considerably funnier after a few matches have been played.

WLYWLYAWYPWF 05-07-2019 05:17 PM

Dog friendly Holiday Inn Express. Cun*ING dog yapping all afternoon in the next room. Sounds like it's being raped. Probably is because only a sexual deviant would think it was appropriate to check a *****ING dog in to a hotel with them..:veryangry:veryangry:veryangry

Hedgehog 05-07-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF (Post 14812893)
Dog friendly Holiday Inn Express. Cun*ING dog yapping all afternoon in the next room. Sounds like it's being raped. Probably is because only a sexual deviant would think it was appropriate to check a *****ING dog in to a hotel with them..:veryangry:veryangry:veryangry

Unfortunately, allowing dogs in hotels appears to be becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Well here anyway.

PeterH 05-07-2019 11:41 PM

The opening of tomato ketchup sachets, or failure of...

Hedgehog 06-07-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 14813244)
The opening of tomato ketchup sachets, or failure of...

I'll raise you those little tubs of milk that you have to peel back the foil.

Never fail to splatter myself with milk!

davech 06-07-2019 01:02 AM

Christmas offers on Freeview TV programmes - already!

davech 06-07-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastBerksEagle (Post 14812339)
The Frank Lampard love in

Roy will outlast him - no problem :D

StonePenge 06-07-2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 14812536)
More preferable to 2300 or midnight when decent folk are tucked up in bed.

I suppose I should have expressed myself a little differently.Actually I don’t care if people set off their 4th of July fireworks early. If they think fireworks look great in broad daylight that’s their problem. What annoys me is that I live so close to such d*ckheads.....

strawberry mivi 06-07-2019 09:02 AM

Being unable to remember who has died.

Worksop Palace 06-07-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonePenge (Post 14813323)
I suppose I should have expressed myself a little differently.Actually I don’t care if people set off their 4th of July fireworks early. If they think fireworks look great in broad daylight that’s their problem. What annoys me is that I live so close to such d*ckheads.....

Fireworks in the day = drugs for sale

davech 06-07-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonePenge (Post 14813323)
I suppose I should have expressed myself a little differently.Actually I don’t care if people set off their 4th of July fireworks early. If they think fireworks look great in broad daylight that’s their problem. What annoys me is that I live so close to such d*ckheads.....

Perhaps they should hold tea-drinking celebrations instead ;)

Maidstoned Eagle 06-07-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonePenge (Post 14813323)
What annoys me is that I live so close to such d*ckheads.....

You live in America......

old traf 06-07-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 14813244)
The opening of tomato ketchup sachets, or failure of...

thats easy, just bring your wife with you.

Worksop Palace 06-07-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 14813376)
Being unable to remember who has died.

Rick Mayall ?

Danny_Cheviot 06-07-2019 01:53 PM

People who keep saying to me “You’re getting old”

Well what the f*ck are you doing Peter Pan?

macstar 06-07-2019 03:02 PM

Ridiculous pride overload this year. Swamped by the media. No interest. Time to leave the country at this time of year.

andyocpfc 06-07-2019 03:11 PM

Watching Wimbledon mixed doubles (f—k knows why) and every point the two players on each side have to touch hands whether they win or lose the point. Why FFS.

davech 06-07-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14813682)
Watching Wimbledon mixed doubles (f—k knows why) and every point the two players on each side have to touch hands whether they win or lose the point. Why FFS.

Wait until they win a set....

Little Fozzie 06-07-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14813675)
Ridiculous pride overload this year. Swamped by the media. No interest. Time to leave the country at this time of year.

Bye. You won't be missed.

CP-RJW 06-07-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14813675)
Ridiculous pride overload this year. Swamped by the media. No interest. Time to leave the country at this time of year.

Why does it annoy you?

CP-RJW 06-07-2019 03:44 PM

I have my own complaint about pride: The way it’s been completely commodified. But it’s still important, and I still support it.

Worksop Palace 06-07-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14813710)
I have my own complaint about pride: The way it’s been completely commodified. But it’s still important, and I still support it.

Make sure you do Tram Lines mate.

Joe85 06-07-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14813675)
Ridiculous pride overload this year. Swamped by the media. No interest. Time to leave the country at this time of year.



I had no idea it was happening to be honest. You must be paying closer attention then you realise...

Slimbloke'H' 06-07-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14813675)
Ridiculous pride overload this year. Swamped by the media. No interest. Time to leave the country at this time of year.

I guess that's another to add to your list.

Timbo 06-07-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar (Post 14813675)
Ridiculous pride overload this year. Swamped by the media. No interest. Time to leave the country at this time of year.

I noticed that EastEnders gave it large the other night. One big happy party and simultaneous gaybashing in the same episode

Maz 06-07-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' (Post 14813742)
I guess that's another to add to your list.

It’s getting to be a long list.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.